BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

I think if Bentley is going to be sold, surely it would be better for us if it were sooner rather than later.

If he were sold on say the last day of the window, we would be in a terrible situation. It's quite clear he wants to leave and we need to start building a team for the new season.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Presty in some ways I wholeheartedly agree with you. My view is that IF Bentley is going he goes early and does not leave before a replacement is found.

Been reading the Spurs own press and for me Bentley would fit in down there at that club. They all believe they are a much bigger club than they are so it must be that that appeals to DB.

One thing is for sure, Berbatov looks like he is going and Keane is linked with Liverpoo. Bent is currently talking to Sunderland. So who do Spurs think they get to repalcement the named players ?

They have not got the cash for DB outright so the only option is a player plus cash deal, that might not suit Rovers who hold all the cards. Villa will set the example with this. Look at what they have done to their Captain ? Banned him from training and fined him for his mouthing off in the press. he is now in limbo, his club wont sell until the deal suits them, despite what Barry thinks.

Its time for the clubs to take a stand like Villa have and I am very impressed at the way they have reacted as a club.

With respect to DB, as it currently stands no-one has made an offer suitable to Blackburn Rovers, he hasnt agreed terms with anyone cause he hasnt got permission to speak to anyone and he hasnt had a medical in London becasue he is still in Ibiza. So on Monday he turns up at Brockhall and does his pre season as planned otherwise his £20k a week wages get heavily trimmed in the form of fines.

He didnt falter when it came to taking the money from the club now its time for him to play the waiting game.

DB is just proving the "All footballers have nowt between their ears" brigade correct, he bigs himself up, gobs off to the press and no one comes in for him, I hope all the Rovers players call him Rodney, because he is a Grade A Plonker.

I also agree the previous comments reference Spuds, he'd fit in perfectly as they are an enormous club.

Still can't believe he's done it, but he has and if we get the right offer he should go. Do we have another Lucash on our hands?

DB is just proving the "All footballers have nowt between their ears" brigade correct, he bigs himself up, gobs off to the press and no one comes in for him, I hope all the Rovers players call him Rodney, because he is a Grade A Plonker.

I also agree the previous comments reference Spuds, he'd fit in perfectly as they are an enormous club.

Still can't believe he's done it, but he has and if we get the right offer he should go. Do we have another Lucash on our hands?

If the truths known we prob have about 25. :rolleyes:

Villa have show the way with Gareth Barry how to deal with unwanted predators and players who no longer want to play for the club - make the suitors pay a full price (in Liverpool's case £18m) and ban the player from training.

Rovers should do the same.

Worrying news in today's Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle4258468.ece

"The Spanish club want compensation after claiming that Gutiérrez walked out to join Newcastle with two years of his contract remaining. Fifa, football's world governing body, has been called in to settle the situation, with the player insisting that rules allow players under the age of 28 who have been at a club for at least three seasons to buy out the remainder of their contract..."

Given that Bentley has 3 years left on his; would this explain why Bentley refused to sign a more lucrative contract?

Well that's stupid seeing as we have already rejected a £15m cash offer from Villa, why on earth would we accept £3m less from Spurs.

LW: If that is true then you may as well just forget transfer fees. Sign a player on a 1 year deal and let them move where they want at the end of the season. There are becoming so many ways to escape the legal contracts that they agreed to it's ridiculous.

Worrying news in today's Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle4258468.ece

"The Spanish club want compensation after claiming that Gutiérrez walked out to join Newcastle with two years of his contract remaining. Fifa, football's world governing body, has been called in to settle the situation, with the player insisting that rules allow players under the age of 28 who have been at a club for at least three seasons to buy out the remainder of their contract..."

Given that Bentley has 3 years left on his; would this explain why Bentley refused to sign a more lucrative contract?

Well the rule can only apply if a foreign club come in for Bentley, which seems unlikely at this point. Plus I thought this Gutierrez guy only had 1 yr remainin on his contract rather then the 2 yrs they claim.

If that is true then you may as well just forget transfer fees. Sign a player on a 1 year deal and let them move where they want at the end of the season. There are becoming so many ways to escape the legal contracts that they agreed to it's ridiculous.

A tactic that I suggested years ago when Hughes turned up and caused me to re-think. Souness's legacy was a team full of crap players on long contracts. Pay no transfer fees just top dollar short term contracts. If I rem right Big Sam at Bolton also appeared to be moving that way at the time too.

:rover: this morning a villa fan was on talksport and he said the barry transfer holds the key to this summers transfer frenzy,i think he has a point.personally i cannot wait for bentley to leave and then we can get our squad inplace for the season. :brfcsmilie:

Barry's a good asset but could you explain please elwaxo why you value a hod carrier over a bricklayer.

Not sure I know exactly what you mean by the hod carrier/brick layer comparison, but I reckon given the choice, at a hunch I'd take Barry... Maybe I reckon his type of player is what Rovers really lack at the moment... a big and solid presence in the middle of the park. Obviously Bentley won't be easy to replace, just purely think I'd rather have Barry (childish fantasy football talk really).

Bentley says he wants CL. So why the heck to Spurs and Villa keep asking for him?

1) Because he changed that to or Europe

2) because Spurs think everyone wants to play for them

3) Because Villa will have cash to spend if they get what they want for Barry and they currently have a very small squad

4) because we're Rovers and anyone who wants to can waltz in and take our players, according to them and far too many of the media

5) because they think now he's said he wants to go they are in with a chance becasue it's highly unlikely that one of the british cl teams will wnat him and they are next in line being in Europe

6) see 2)

There's no way on earth, that with 3 years left on his contract, would I personally consider selling him to any of our competitiors for the UEFA cup spots.

I agree Den, but we seem to be in a minority. How much money is enough to make it worthwhile strengthening a rival?

I agree Den, but we seem to be in a minority. How much money is enough to make it worthwhile strengthening a rival?

Would Villa, City, Spurs, Newcastle or ANY of our immediate rivals sell us their best player, assuming that player had three years to go on his contract, even if we could afford them?

We know the answer to that Gumboots.

There's no way on earth, that with 3 years left on his contract, would I personally consider selling him to any of our competitiors for the UEFA cup spots.

This is situation that has been forced upon Rovers rather than wanted.

In that case we need to convince Bentley to stay for another year and knuckle down. Otherwise...do you know of any situations where forcing an unhappy player to stay has worked out well?

Archived