BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

Hi there!

New fan alert. Yes I'm an Aston Villa supporter, but I'm not just here for David Bentley related news, as we are linked. I know quite a few Blackburn fans, season ticket holders too, and they introduced me to this site. I'm interested in your club, as at the moment, we are competing against each other, and you were unlucky not to get Europe last season.

Anyway, having read over this thread, the general opinion is that if you get good money for Bentley, you don't really mind see him going? Though the 50% sell on clause to Arsenal is a problem? The Mail are reporting tonight that we have made a bid of £10m. Obviously that won't be accepted, but £17m is crazy money, but I can see why you're demanding it. Young, English, hot prospect, comparisons to David Beckham etc. Personally I'd love it if we got him. Young and Bentley on the wings could be very exciting.

My question to you is - What does Bentley offer and is he worth the big money?

No he isn't, tell everyone you know!!

We are not worried about loosing him as we have Bert, defencive lefts all over the country are shaking in their shoes over the prospect.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi there!

New fan alert. Yes I'm an Aston Villa supporter, but I'm not just here for David Bentley related news, as we are linked. I know quite a few Blackburn fans, season ticket holders too, and they introduced me to this site. I'm interested in your club, as at the moment, we are competing against each other, and you were unlucky not to get Europe last season.

Anyway, having read over this thread, the general opinion is that if you get good money for Bentley, you don't really mind see him going? Though the 50% sell on clause to Arsenal is a problem? The Mail are reporting tonight that we have made a bid of £10m. Obviously that won't be accepted, but £17m is crazy money, but I can see why you're demanding it. Young, English, hot prospect, comparisons to David Beckham etc. Personally I'd love it if we got him. Young and Bentley on the wings could be very exciting.

My question to you is - What does Bentley offer and is he worth the big money?

welcome to the site.

Most people don't want him to leave the club, as he's one of the brightest players in the English game, but when a player publicly says he wants to leave, you're torn between making him stay for one more season to try and get into Europe, versus maximising your money on him now and rebuilding the team in the new managers vision.

What will he bring to you? The perfect foil for ashley young. Whereas Ashley has pace to burn, Bentley is far more technical. He doesn't give the ball away too much and his crossing is pinpoint. He can also play in centre mid, or off the main striker.

To be honest, I'd rather he went to Liverpool/chelsea rather than go to a UEFA rival, but if he has to go to one of you - i'd rather villa than spurs or city! If you got Bentley, I could see you challenging for 4th.

welcome to the site.

Most people don't want him to leave the club, as he's one of the brightest players in the English game, but when a player publicly says he wants to leave, you're torn between making him stay for one more season to try and get into Europe, versus maximising your money on him now and rebuilding the team in the new managers vision.

What will he bring to you? The perfect foil for ashley young. Whereas Ashley has pace to burn, Bentley is far more technical. He doesn't give the ball away too much and his crossing is pinpoint. He can also play in centre mid, or off the main striker.

To be honest, I'd rather he went to Liverpool/chelsea rather than go to a UEFA rival, but if he has to go to one of you - i'd rather villa than spurs or city! If you got Bentley, I could see you challenging for 4th.

Yeah mate, it's a shame that it is at the expense of one of your UEFA rivals, i.e. Villa or Spurs. I can't see Liverpool coming in, as they are struggling to pay £18m for Barry, never mind another £17m on Bentley. Rafa is yet to bring one of his seasonal spaniards in, so I guess he's saving some money for one of them.

I really hope we get him, as I think he'll be perfect foil too. I think if we could get a Darren Bent in, we could challenge. But, I hear Bent has been linked as part of Spurs' package. Do you not think that's a good deal? I mean Friedel is a great goalkeeper but he is ageing, and Robbo, Bent and money for Bentley seems a really good deal to me. But then you have McCarthy and RSC who are very good strikers so would Bent be needed?

I think he will leave, but I have no doubts that if he does join us, he'll no doubt be asking to leave us in 2 years if we are not in the Champions League. He does seem to rate himself quite some bit.

welcome to the site.

I detest Tottenham. I'll be gutted if he goes there.

I detest Tottenham. I'll be gutted if he goes there.

Don't we all! :angry:

Their fans are so fickle, they genuinely believe everybody would love to sign for Spurs.

They are favourites for Bentley though. Spurs fan apparently? Would you guys want straight cash, or a swap deal?

I really hope we get him, as I think he'll be perfect foil too. I think if we could get a Darren Bent in, we could challenge. But, I hear Bent has been linked as part of Spurs' package. Do you not think that's a good deal? I mean Friedel is a great goalkeeper but he is ageing, and Robbo, Bent and money for Bentley seems a really good deal to me. But then you have McCarthy and RSC who are very good strikers so would Bent be needed?

Under Hughes I couldn't see us being interested in Bent as part of any package at all. However under Ince we'll have to wait and see.

Robinson is a big no. His wage is too big, his transfer value is too big, his number of mistakes are too big and his belly is too big !!!

There's been no signs Friedel slowing down and I believe he's got 2 years left in him at least. Most promising keeper I've seen in a while is Al Habsi at Bolton. At 26 he's young for a keeper. Had Bolton been relegated last year there'd be a few clubs in for him I reckon.

Anyway, back on topic. I'm still a bit miffed at Bentley for his beach party interview with Sky that showed a big lack of class. He's very good but not awesome. Hes not in the same class as Duff was at Ewood. £17million and I'd be selling.

As for would we want a swap deal, that depends entirely on who the player coming in is. Problem is most players Bentley would be 'swapped' for are already proven not good enough for a top 8 side by being shipped out, Why should we bother taking them ?

Bentley out at £16m for me. Lennon in a swap deal, he will revive his Englang career at 'I am a superstar' Bentley's expense.

Look at what Rovers did for you Bentley, one more year with the blues and you could establish yourself in the England team and then goodbye with my thanks, but now...........good riddance if you want to go

I still beleive that Bentley, along with Benni, is the most technically gifted footballer we have at the club and will be a monumental loss. There is definately nobody within the ranks who can step up to his plate, and though very doubtful, it remains to be seen whether Ince can pull the rabbits in the same way Hughesy did.

Having said that, Barry's loss to Villa shouldn't be understated and they may well find themselves in a less than favourable position in the coming season, as I don't think they have the backbone that many fans appear to think they do, especially without Barry and Olof.

What staggers me most is the price of fringe England players. Barry, Bentley and Crouch are all players in around the England team, but they aren't established first teams by any means. £18m, £17m, and £10m is the fees these players are commanding.

That is an absolute joke. England didn't get to the Euros, and the reason was and is purely the fact that England were the third best team in their group.

It's such an obvious thing to say, but if these guys a different nationality...

Snap hands off time in every case. Barry and Bentley aren't near £20m players. Not a sniff. £20m buys you world class finished articles in my book. Only teenage prodigies are the real exception to this rule, or players in the last two years of contracts who are geniunely top, top players.

Agree entirely. It's crazy money.

Nicko mentioned that Arteta is looking for a move and talked about a fee of £12m. Whilst it's a sizeable fee, as a footballer he's on a different planet to the three mentioned above.

Agree totally. £17m is crazy money. It was also when we sold Duff and was a better player at the time.

£17m in europe would get you 2 top players.

We need to look at players who have always been highly regarding as potential stars but that havent quite made it - like Santa Cruz, like bentley was, like many others are. Its just finding them and getting them to sign.

Hughsey's right. I's a matter of getting 20-24 year olds who for whatever reason didn't immediately become stars for CL teams, and are in the reserves, out on loan to x, y, or z for not much money, and then giving them the chance to grow in the first team. Bentley was a clear case of this, and there are others about. Chris Eagles was touted as a promising player, and I'm not sure if he is still at Man U or whatever, but someone like that may be worth a second look.

Hughsey's right. I's a matter of getting 20-24 year olds who for whatever reason didn't immediately become stars for CL teams, and are in the reserves, out on loan to x, y, or z for not much money, and then giving them the chance to grow in the first team. Bentley was a clear case of this, and there are others about. Chris Eagles was touted as a promising player, and I'm not sure if he is still at Man U or whatever, but someone like that may be worth a second look.

Around the corner could be the next Keith Gillespie, Robbie Savage or Pennant :rover:

True, but can you see us getting the next Christiano Ronaldo or Fabregas for £3m or will you put a negative spin on everything just because you don't approve of Ince? I seriously doubt you have any constructive suggestions in this, or any other area regarding Blackburn.

Hi lads, another Villa fan here, just letting you know that a Villa director confirmed we had bid for Bentley.

General Krulak here:

1. As always, do not believe what you read in the paper. 10 M...not correct. Believe me. I will not say what the offer was but...it beat anything anyone else has offered.

Thought you might be interested.

Hi lads, another Villa fan here, just letting you know that a Villa director confirmed we had bid for Bentley.

Thought you might be interested.

Yeah was just going to mention this. By his tone though, and the fact that he has even commented - sounds like we had the bid rejected and we won't be going back in. Don't know why he would talk about it if we were still in for him.

Well done boys...good to see news travels around the badlands of Aston so fast! :rolleyes:

Nope he's off to Spurs, and I would suggest that you are getting an exchange rather than money. I'd be worried if I was a Rovers fan, your hierachy have rejected a straight money offer (higher than anyone else has bid) and accepted some kind of player exchange. That's what the General is suggesting, and oh, I don't live in Aston B)

Nope he's off to Spurs, and I would suggest that you are getting an exchange rather than money. I'd be worried if I was a Rovers fan, your hierachy have rejected a straight money offer (higher than anyone else has bid) and accepted some kind of player exchange. That's what the General is suggesting, and oh, I don't live in Aston B)

To be fair, you don't have a clue do you?

Where has anyone said anything for Bentley has been accpeted?

Why are you even posting here? Are you trying to wind people up? :rover:

Archived