SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And I can confirm Bentley would rather stay at Rovers than go to Villa :D

I would hope so to. Just because it would be a step sideways, but I would like to think he would tell Spurs to go away to as they weren't even in the top half last season.

Mancvillian: Who would be in this exchange? As Arsenal have a sell clause we would have to pay out to them if we took a player exchange, so that has been ruled out. We are waiting for Spurs to sell and then either come back to us or take your target, Milner! So I'd get your bid in :P

i'd take lennon + decent money.

Yes, he struggles with his end product, but he creates 10 times more than most wongers because of his pace and trickery.

I'm also fed up of us playing one dimensional football. When we had Bellamy, we played some of our best attacking football. Lennon may be frustrating, but he'd get me out of my seat and willing him on to beat his man

i'd take lennon + decent money.

Yes, he struggles with his end product, but he creates 10 times more than most wongers because of his pace and trickery.

I'm also fed up of us playing one dimensional football. When we had Bellamy, we played some of our best attacking football. Lennon may be frustrating, but he'd get me out of my seat and willing him on to beat his man

And get you sitting down again fairly quickly when his final ball ended up in the stands.

And get you sitting down again fairly quickly when his final ball ended up in the stands.

The way people go on about Lennon its like he has never hit a decent cross in his life.

Sure he hasnt got Bentleys accuracy, but not many have.

To be fair, you don't have a clue do you?

Nope. But having experienced the General for the last 2 years, and the way he works, he would only talk about a player deal unless it was dead in the water. The fact that he has, and said we offered more than anyone else (I'm guessing money) and that has been rejected, suggests to me that someone has had a bid accepted. So if we bid the highest money, why wouldn't we get him? One of two reasons:

1) Rovers have accepted a player/exchange deal

2) Bentley doesn't want to join Villa and has rejected the move

It also suggests that Nicko isn't as ITK as you all think on here, missed a major offer there :rover:

But like you said, I don't have a clue, it's all speculation. BUT what is a fact is that we did bid and it's the highest bid you have received, and it's more than £10m. Fact.

Nope. But having experienced the General for the last 2 years, and the way he works, he would only talk about a player deal unless it was dead in the water. The fact that he has, and said we offered more than anyone else (I'm guessing money) and that has been rejected, suggests to me that someone has had a bid accepted. So if we bid the highest money, why wouldn't we get him? One of two reasons:

It also suggests that Nicko isn't as ITK as you all think on here, missed a major offer there :rover:

But like you said, I don't have a clue, it's all speculation. BUT what is a fact is that we did bid and it's the highest bid you have received, and it's more than £10m. Fact.

Thats probably the more likely option.

The way people go on about Lennon its like he has never hit a decent cross in his life.

Sure he hasnt got Bentleys accuracy, but not many have.

Everyone hits some good balls and he has. However, more often than not he doesn't. If he were really good why would Spurs be looking so enviously at our winger that they are prepared to sell about ten players to raise funds to make a big cash offer for him.

Thats probably the more likely option.

Yeah I'd agree. He wants the bright lights of London. Though I'm biased - if a top 4 club doesn't come in for him, I think Villa would be his best move, but he obviously has ties to London, and wants to go back.

Sorry if I have offended anyone, just thought you'd be interested in what Randy Lerner's right hand man has reported to us. (He posts on various Aston Villa boards).

Yeah I'd agree. He wants the bright lights of London. Though I'm biased - if a top 4 club doesn't come in for him, I think Villa would be his best move, but he obviously has ties to London, and wants to go back.

Sorry if I have offended anyone, just thought you'd be interested in what Randy Lerner's right hand man has reported to us. (He posts on various Aston Villa boards).

Seems a bit odd to me that the owner's right hand man is prepared to post on any MB!

I wouldnt have thought anyone has been offended.

It does look likely he will go to Spurs if they can raise the funds for him.

I dont expect us to settle for a player plus cash deal though, it'll be either 17m for Mr Bentley will still be in a Blue and White shirt come Sept 1st.

Seems a bit odd to me that the owner's right hand man is prepared to post on any MB!

Has been for 2 years mate. All part of the 'new' Villa. I don't expect you to understand and still see us as part of the Ellis days, but there are BIG changes. It's all part of the fans having a contact inside the FC. He posts pretty much every day and answers most questions from the fans, and sorts out their problems/ confirms plans involving Villa etc. He also posts on more than one Villa message board, where he has his own thread. A bit like how you have Nicko here, but he is probably the best ITK you could ever have. :D

......and that has been rejected, suggests to me that someone has had a bid accepted. So if we bid the highest money, why wouldn't we get him? One of two reasons:

Unless I've missed something, could it not also suggest...

3) Rovers rejected the bid because it didn't meet our valuation?

Just because it's the highest bid, doesn't mean it has to be accepted.

I wouldnt have thought anyone has been offended.

It does look likely he will go to Spurs if they can raise the funds for him.

I dont expect us to settle for a player plus cash deal though, it'll be either 17m for Mr Bentley will still be in a Blue and White shirt come Sept 1st.

Yeah I hope not too, because I know a few Rovers fans and they would rather just get the money too. The General has also said that the £10m bid is 'way off' so I would guess it's £15m. Either Rovers have simply rejected it or Bentley has rejected the move. Either way, my guess would be that he isn't coming to us, and we did offer a good bid. If Spurs don't come up with the cash, or Liverpool - seems Bentley will be sticking around, which can only be a good thing for Rovers.

Has been for 2 years mate. All part of the 'new' Villa. I don't expect you to understand and still see us as part of the Ellis days, but there are BIG changes. It's all part of the fans having a contact inside the FC. He posts pretty much every day and answers most questions from the fans, and sorts out their problems/ confirms plans involving Villa etc. He also posts on more than one Villa message board, where he has his own thread. A bit like how you have Nicko here, but he is probably the best ITK you could ever have. :D

No I don't understand. I'm not harking back to Doug Ellis days but it's a very odd way for any football club to do business. Most clubs keep things as quiet as possible to prevent rivals from gaining possible advantage. Why anyone that close to the boss would blab on a message board is something I don't think most of us understand. There's keeping the fans informed and then there's this.

Generally speaking, the Rovers stick to what they say.

So if the price is GBP17m cash only on Monday, it is GBP17m cash only on Thursday no matter what Spuds and Villans might want to kid themselves otherwise.

Incidentally, have Villa sold Barry for a used Finnan and a soiled Pennant yet? We are watching and copying you guys and Barry is much further out of your door than Bentley is out of our's.

Yet we still get Villa fans on here after Nicko info?

Didn't know that - I never have. I never will. I don't doubt he knows some happenings, but he's a journo at the end of the day. The General knows EVERYTHING happening at Aston Villa football club. That's all my point was, in terms of us, he is ITK. I did read on that Nicko thread that he said the £15m report of Villa offering for Bentley was 'not true'. Seems he was wrong?

Well he'd obviously only talk about something once it was a done deal or off the table. He won't say, I assume, "we're interested in player x" or "player x is coming in for talks/trial/medical", but he might say things like "bid rejected" or "no longer interested" or other details that don't have anything to do with other clubs (ie price issues, shirts, travel and stuff like that). Just a guess though.

Didn't know that - I never have. I never will. I don't doubt he knows some happenings, but he's a journo at the end of the day. The General knows EVERYTHING happening at Aston Villa football club. That's all my point was, in terms of us, he is ITK. I did read on that Nicko thread that he said the £15m report of Villa offering for Bentley was 'not true'. Seems he was wrong?

He said that the Daily Mail (think that was it?) was a joke for printing that Villa's 10 million bid had been rejecting. Saying that there's no way Villa's bid would have been so low and that the paper knows that as well.

No I don't understand. I'm not harking back to Doug Ellis days but it's a very odd way for any football club to do business. Most clubs keep things as quiet as possible to prevent rivals from gaining possible advantage. Why anyone that close to the boss would blab on a message board is something I don't think most of us understand. There's keeping the fans informed and then there's this.

Yeah it's the first time he has done it on a particular transfer. He has always said 'don't worry, we have big bids in etc' but never gives anything away. That's why I think Villa are no longer in the running for Bentley. It wouldn't surprise me if we have offered the £17m you want but Bentley has rejected the move. You have seen how passionate Oneill has been about Liverpool's bids for Barry - Oneill doesn't mess around, he asks the club what they want, and he tends to offer it. He isn't afraid to spend big money if he thinks the player is worth it - i.e. NRC-£8.5m, Young-£9.65m, Davies-£10m. - All bids other clubs raised their eyebrows at.

Well he'd obviously only talk about something once it was a done deal or off the table. He won't say, I assume, "we're interested in player x" or "player x is coming in for talks/trial/medical", but he might say things like "bid rejected" or "no longer interested" or other details that don't have anything to do with other clubs (ie price issues, shirts, travel and stuff like that). Just a guess though.

In 2 years, it's the first time he's mentioned anything about a player. He usually posts to do with travel, tickets, stadium plans, match thoughts ETC.

He said that the Daily Mail (think that was it?) was a joke for printing that Villa's 10 million bid had been rejecting. Saying that there's no way Villa's bid would have been so low and that the paper knows that as well.

I was quoting something from a couple of weeks ago. Apologies.

Then how would that answer most questions from fans because most questions aren't about bids that are no longer happening. they are about bids that you think might happen or you'd like to see happening i. e. specualtion. If he only answers the kind of questions about shirt designs etc or deals which aren't happening, what's the point? Read the kind of questions most people on here ask Nicko. they are about possible targets, fees etc.

Archived