BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

John Williams strikes me as a man far too sensible to agree to a 50% sell on clause. Furthermore, I hardly think that Arsenal were in the position at the time to barter for such a percentage when the guy was nowhere near the Arsenal first team and had only a relatively successful loan stint at Norwich under his belt.

I'd expect it to be closer to the 20% mark.

The latest horror that sprung to mind was the Bellamy release clause, but that is player contract.

Has there been a hugely insensible transfer clause with us lately?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A 50% sell on clause does seem hugely excessive if nicko is correct when he says that we've already paid various add ons taking the total fee paid up to around the 3m mark.

At the end of the day, Bentley had been out on loan on Norwich, and bombed, when we signed him.

You would hope it was either a cheap fee and huge sell on clause, or fee with various add ons but much lower sell on clause.

But not both.

I say get the money for Bentley while you can. Same as Villa with Barry. They are both great players but if they dont wanna play for their clubs then make the most of the money you can make out of them instead.

You missed the obvious one- Ronaldo at Man U- I wonder why?

I just hope the 50% clause thingy was put out so that we would be able to squeeze the buying club for a bit extra. Do agree with TCJ that it could be around the 20% than the reported 50%

According to Sky:

21.48 Russian playmaker Andrei Arshavin is open to a move to Tottenham. According to Sky sources, he would welcome the chance to speak with chairman Daniel Levy.

That might prove that Spurs don't fancy Bents anymore.

Or he is a replacement for Keane who is ready to go Liverpool or Berbatov to United.

Things are kicking in!

I am getting the feeling no one is going to match our valuation of Bentley. I think probs most people are thinking that he is not worth the price tag. To be fair it is hard to say that he is really worth 18m when Arshavin is available for the same sort of money, its hard to justify the expenditure.

I will be an interesting change in transfer strategy if he stays.... Seeing as we were probably expecting to make a net 4m (10m for Bentley after Arsenal take their cut, and spend about six million on a replacement) to spend on other positions not selling him will cut our options. A right back is a certainty, but beyond that we are probably looking at only one quality central midfielder.

I am getting the feeling no one is going to match our valuation of Bentley. I think probs most people are thinking that he is not worth the price tag. To be fair it is hard to say that he is really worth 18m when Arshavin is available for the same sort of money, its hard to justify the expenditure.

What £27m that Zenit quoted?? :lol:

As for Bentley's justification, I believe he's a proven Premier League talent and will feature in the England starting line up as a regular. English clubs generally pay a little more for that, it seems.

Capello was quoted as saying that Beckham will play as long as he's at the level he is currently. I do get the feeling that Bent's is still to convince him about his international credentials.

I wonder what Bentley did when he read it, I'll bet he had to go down to Mothercare for some new toys the next day!

Capello was quoted as saying that Beckham will play as long as he's at the level he is currently. I do get the feeling that Bent's is still to convince him about his international credentials.

I wonder what Bentley did when he read it, I'll bet he had to go down to Mothercare for some new toys the next day!

David Beckham is still a far better player than Bentley & I'd pick him over Bentley every time. I hope Capello does too, Bentley needs to come down a peg or two, maybe he could learn a little off Beckham.

Unless Spuds get VERY lucky buying their target players or somebody goes over £30m for Berbatov, I rather think Bentley is not going to WHL.

Perish the very thought and Please God it doesn't happen but wouldn't Bentley be wound up if Santa ended up at Spurs whilst he was still at Rovers................... :unsure:

David Beckham is still a far better player than Bentley & I'd pick him over Bentley every time. I hope Capello does too, Bentley needs to come down a peg or two, maybe he could learn a little off Beckham.

England need to move on from Beckham. I'd pick Bentley.

England need to move on from Beckham. I'd pick Bentley.

Beckham is far better than Bentley. Don't get me wrong, I want Bentley to stay (his attitude has been awful over the last two months) & eventually take over from Beckham as England's number 7, but Beckham is far superior, even still. Beckham for me is the greatest player to wear an England shirt in the last twenty years, he has been class. He is loyal to both club (forced out at Utd & Madrid) & country, flying halfway around the world & putting in 110%.

Bentley is a long way behind I'm afraid in both ability & attitude, he has to improve a lot with both to compete with Beckham.

That is my non-bias opinion. I want Bentley to stay with us & help us improve as a team, but if his sttitude doesn't change & he still wants out, I hope he goes & fails. He is a prime example of an overpaid, ungrateful & disloyal player ruining today's game. We took a risk in him & he has forgotten that.

funny responses on here, just because bents wants out.

he's by far the most talented player at ewood and he will occupy the right slot in midfield for many years to come for england.

it's just a massive shame that he wants to leave. losing your best player is always hard - just ask villa fans.

but to totally change your tune and pretend to yourself that he isnt actually that good is just crazy!

funny responses on here, just because bents wants out.

he's by far the most talented player at ewood and he will occupy the right slot in midfield for many years to come for england.

it's just a massive shame that he wants to leave. losing your best player is always hard - just ask villa fans.

but to totally change your tune and pretend to yourself that he isnt actually that good is just crazy!

No-one doubting his talent just his actions, and comments.

There is a world of difference between a player that wants to leave and does so with respect for the club and its fans just look at Brad.

Bentley would do well to learn from him and his actions.

Its no coincidence he's injured, gone home etc.

You must remember that when he got back to Arsenal from his spell at Norwich he felt he was ready for the first team Wenger did but did want him to train with them, he did not so he ended up with us.

Remember the U21's Bentley does what Bentley wants he cares only about himself. The words responsibility, obligation and respect are not in his vocabulary.

Give it two years if spurs do not make the CL he will be at it again.

I dont know about Bentley occupying the right hand side for England as a definite...

Same was said about so many players in the past such as SWP, Pennant and Lennon...

England likes to hype up players way too much.

I dont think that Bentley has the overall game to match Beckham at his peak although I believe Bentley is more naturally technically gifted...However, he lacks pace and at the highest level you need that I think...

I dont know about Bentley occupying the right hand side for England as a definite...

Same was said about so many players in the past such as SWP, Pennant and Lennon...

England likes to hype up players way too much.

I dont think that Bentley has the overall game to match Beckham at his peak although I believe Bentley is more naturally technically gifted...However, he lacks pace and at the highest level you need that I think...

Thats Bentleys only draw back... is his pace, if he had that extra 0.01 second on his running the world would be his oyster- though hes still an outstanding talent.

Saw the news of robbie keane was sold to liverpool today, with 25 million profit from transfer deal earn. I am very sure they are back for bently. Time for new right midfielder. Though I really hate to see him leave...

Spuds want Arshavin, Pulyavchenko, Villa and Silva. Only if they fail on 2 out of 4 of those will they be looking at Bentley again IMO.

Bentley is priced 50% ABOVE what they value him at and they have not got what they wanted for Keane and are pretty certain not to get what they wanted for Berbatov where they have the problem of Berb being in reality the pawn they were going to move out to make their other transfers happen.

The difference between Spuds and us now is that THEY have lost the player whom they saw as key to their new formation in 08/09. Rovers are still intact in that regard.

Isn't it obvious that Spuds would not have played ball on a straight cash deal for Robinson at £3m rising to £3.5m if they were deadly serious about Bentley? Those who say Robo was a sweetener in preparation for a Bentley deal are really at the funny juice.

As for Bentley v Beckham, too many people are allowing bitterness against Bentley the drunk/TV personality over-shadow their assessment of how good Bentley is on the pitch. Bentley offers far more to England TODAY than Beckham can.

Archived