BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well Ooijer wants to go, we know that. I suspect Warnock does too but it appears according to nicko that JW is finally putting his foot down. After that we are still being kept on tenterhooks by RSC and samba as rumours still circulate in the pres and media.

ooijer was quoted at the end of the season as being unhappy, because he'd signed a new contract, then was sat on the bench again. nothing to do with ince.

RSC - do you honestly think we wouldnt have speculation for him? again - its nothign to do with ince. take a look at whats happening to all the clubs at the moment.

And comparing us to man utd is just being silly. they are one of the largest clubs in the world, so can afford to take a hard line stance.

Just as i thought the Spurs idiots are flooding boards like 606 gloating about Bentley leaving us and saying we should be giving Bentley more respect.

Is there really in the premier league a set of fans more deluded and repulsive as them.

No

Bentley will be a big loss to the creative aspect of our team. He's good footballer and does seem in interviews to come across as a decent lad. However his professional decision-making is poor. He's his own worst enemy for his PR. His decision to pull out of the England U21 squad was questionable at the time. It certainly did him no favours under McLown.

More worryingly for Rovers fans, the lack of class shown in his announcement of his impending departure was amazing. Knowing that Rovers were going through a very turbulent period after losing Hughes, to be interviewed at some beach party somewhere, flashing the bling around with champagne in hand, was a kick in the teeth for all connected with Rovers, both those employed by the club and us fools who support them.

He's given a good bit of service and a tidy profit to Rovers. However he's another who will now get an inevitable fractious reception on his return to Ewood.

Goodbye Mr Bentley. And remember, when you walk through the halls of White Hart Lane for the first time - don't believe the hype. You've just stepped sideways.

Good player, our main creative outlet last season, great deal for Rovers, made Rovers look like a good place to come for an upcoming player who can't make a break through in the top 4. We have recently turned squad players into England internationals in Bentley and Warnock, and anyone else in the same position should talk to them about moving to Ewood.

Just gotta keep finding replacements now!

Just as i thought the Spurs idiots are flooding boards like 606 gloating about Bentley leaving us and saying we should be giving Bentley more respect.

Is there really in the premier league a set of fans more deluded and repulsive as them.

Spuds have forever been WUM's

It comes from being deluded into thinking they are a big club... most of the on-line fans aren't real fans anyway and choose to watch most of their football on the telly.

He's a very good player, there's no doubt about that at all. I first met him a couple of seasons ago and he came over really well. He took all the time in the world to have a chat, a drink, and a few pics. It was at the player of the year awards and he was very down to earth.

I defended him to the hilt to other people who felt he was 'big time' , however I feel over the last 2 seasons he's started to believe his own hype and now feels he's too good for us. A number of players have done the same thing and not many have gone onto great things after leaving Rovers, We've been described as a 'proper' football club. The management care about the players and get the best out of them, that's why we've been able to get the best out of players other teams didnt want to take a chance on. We're the club who gave Bentley a chance after he'd had a poor loan season at Norwich. We'll be the club who pick up a replacement for him and get the best out of that player too.

Spuds want Arshavin, Pulyavchenko, Villa and Silva. Only if they fail on 2 out of 4 of those will they be looking at Bentley again IMO.

Bentley is priced 50% ABOVE what they value him at and they have not got what they wanted for Keane and are pretty certain not to get what they wanted for Berbatov where they have the problem of Berb being in reality the pawn they were going to move out to make their other transfers happen.

The difference between Spuds and us now is that THEY have lost the player whom they saw as key to their new formation in 08/09. Rovers are still intact in that regard.

Isn't it obvious that Spuds would not have played ball on a straight cash deal for Robinson at £3m rising to £3.5m if they were deadly serious about Bentley? Those who say Robo was a sweetener in preparation for a Bentley deal are really at the funny juice.

As for Bentley v Beckham, too many people are allowing bitterness against Bentley the drunk/TV personality over-shadow their assessment of how good Bentley is on the pitch. Bentley offers far more to England TODAY than Beckham can.

The right move for his England career, the wrong move for his club career.

Spurs will go on under achieving whether they keep throwing money at players or not.

And English Spurs players will always get into the England team as long as the likes of the BBC and the broadsheets comment on football.

A loss for us, but we are used to them and tend to get over them remarkably well - as Paul Robinson has said, we have built a reputation as a club that players really want to play for. We won't have much trouble bringing similar quality in.

Talk Sport reported this morning that Arsenal would get 5m from the Bentley sale because they had a 40% sell on clause on any profit over and above the 2.5m we paid for him.

That would make the fee 15m (40% of 12.5m)

The Sun also reported this morning the fee was 15m, rising to 17m with add ons.

The LT reported the fee was an initial 15m plus various add ons but were either unaware or didn't divulge the size of the sell on clause.

I wish the move would just complete asap so we can get on with our transfer activity in earnest.

Well it looks like Bentley is finally for the off - yet another good player leaving the club due to a lack of ambition. All the best, David, I don't blame you for wanting to move on.

Some people may laugh at Spurs, but at least they have got ambition. Something our club, thanks to Williams and his sycophants, is desperately missing. <_<

Well it looks like Bentley is finally for the off - yet another good player leaving the club due to a lack of ambition. All the best, David, I don't blame you for wanting to move on.

Some people may laugh at Spurs, but at least they have got ambition. Something our club, thanks to Williams and his sycophants, is desperately missing. <_<

Utter kronk!

How much ambition do you want? And what good is ambition without money? Would you want us to risk doing a Leeds?

The way the League's structured there's a ceiling for clubs the size of ours: 5th place. With our revenue we'd be loco to try and break into the top 4. Look at all the money Everton are spending and after years the best they had to show was a two-legged jaunt in the Champions League qualifiers.

I have just seen an interview with Ince on rovers World and he looks seriously aggrieved with the Bentley situation. I think his words were "lets get it done and move on"

He also said he wants to freshen the place up with new signings- with Carlos expected to train with the team tomorrow! apparently they are very impressed with him from his clips on Youtube!!

It's not Bentley's fault he has no ambition.

Utter kronk!

How much ambition do you want? And what good is ambition without money? Would you want us to risk doing a Leeds?

Please don't mention Leeds, they are not relevant to us at all.

There's a hell of a lot of middle ground between the peanuts Hughes had to spend and suicidal plans Leeds had.

£5-£10 million for Hughes last January wouldn't have made the trustees bankrupt, but it might just have kept our management and best players.

Please don't mention Leeds, they are not relevant to us at all.

There's a hell of a lot of middle ground between the peanuts Hughes had to spend and suicidal plans Leeds had.

£5-£10 million for Hughes last January wouldn't have made the trustees bankrupt, but it might just have kept our management and best players.

Frisky Jim's calling JW for a lack of ambition. There's only so far a club can get on our pretty meagre budget. This leaves JW the choice of get into massive debt (a la Leeds in the past or, it seems, several of our competitors now); do his best with what money we have or learn to crap £50 notes. I'm guessing he's not learned how to do the latter so it's stay where we are or huge debts. I'm of the opinion that he's getting it right and I'm hoping we can get a buyer and then move on.

These wonks (not just FJ) whining about lack of ambition would be the first to ditch the club if we got relegated!

Lack of ambition - you appear to have forgotton the old days when a memo went around the staff at Ewood Park to use the tea bag twice when making a cup of tea. JW is doing, imo, the best he can with the resources he has. I do not believe any serious supporter of Rovers wants to go back to the old days when the club nearly went out of buisness. This club - that in you view lacks ambition - is still one of only 4 clubs to have won the premiership.

It has a team that its players are wanted by other clubs - Ince and the board are having to fight off other clubs in order to keep hold of players.

I believe very soon a lot of these clubs who have mega debts will go bust - never to rise again - unless they do an accrington stanley and come back again after how many years?

In this situation it is Bentley who wants to leave - will you be going to spuds with him? Bentley, yes a good player - but not an ecellent player - Bentley only thinks about himself and not the club. he is only thinking of his own ambition and not the ambitions of ANY club he may play for.

Lack of ambition - you appear to have forgotton the old days when a memo went around the staff at Ewood Park to use the tea bag twice when making a cup of tea. JW is doing, imo, the best he can with the resources he has. I do not believe any serious supporter of Rovers wants to go back to the old days when the club nearly went out of buisness. This club - that in you view lacks ambition - is still one of only 4 clubs to have won the premiership.

It has a team that its players are wanted by other clubs - Ince and the board are having to fight off other clubs in order to keep hold of players.

I believe very soon a lot of these clubs who have mega debts will go bust - never to rise again - unless they do an accrington stanley and come back again after how many years?

In this situation it is Bentley who wants to leave - will you be going to spuds with him? Bentley, yes a good player - but not an ecellent player - Bentley only thinks about himself and not the club. he is only thinking of his own ambition and not the ambitions of ANY club he may play for.

Totally agreed!!!! ;)

If I were Ince, I too would have let him go as he definitely will affect the team morale. It is not that the board did not did anything, in fact they already offered a improve contract last season for him but he simply ignored it. Therefore, I guess is really time to say goodbye to him. No matter what others say, I believe JW had at least tried to keep him with us.

Totally agreed!!!! ;)

If I were Ince, I too would have let him go as he definitely will affect the team morale. It is not that the board did not did anything, in fact they already offered a improve contract last season for him but he simply ignored it. Therefore, I guess is really time to say goodbye to him. No matter what others say, I believe JW had at least tried to keep him with us.

To be honest it is not a case of 'goodbye' anymore - its more like sod off and enjoy your time on the spuds bench.

Frisky Jim's calling JW for a lack of ambition. There's only so far a club can get on our pretty meagre budget. This leaves JW the choice of get into massive debt (a la Leeds in the past or, it seems, several of our competitors now); do his best with what money we have or learn to crap £50 notes. I'm guessing he's not learned how to do the latter so it's stay where we are or huge debts. I'm of the opinion that he's getting it right and I'm hoping we can get a buyer and then move on.

These wonks (not just FJ) whining about lack of ambition would be the first to ditch the club if we got relegated!

Just out of interest; i wonder where rovers would rank in a CUREENT ( not 06/07 figures) premiership turnover league. People assume in the bottom six, my guess would be more towards mid-table. So therefore with a CURRENT turnover of over 55million- where has the extra 20 million gone? The wgaes argument dosent wash , as we have we have wiped off about 7million in wgaes in the last 8 months.

If Bentley had have gone to a top-four club, fair enough. The fact he's going to that hateful shower annoys me no end. He's got all the ability to be a top, top player so gutted to lose him. Going to Tottenham makes it really hard to stomach.

The club appear to have had little choice but to sell at the end of the day. However, remains to be seen if we've been as tough as we should've been with regards to the fee. Villa lead the way in their stance over Barry. Just hope we haven't backed down on the price we named.

Up to Ince to get the right man to replace him now.

Bentley was a great buy for us, we've had some entertainment from the lad and made a bob or two out of him. He got his career back on track on Ewood and for the sake of England I hope he continues to develop. Ramos is a good coach and that might happen, then again it might not.

Anyway, he is history now and I'm looking forward to seeing some fresh faces at Ewood. We needed him to go to start the movements, keeping him wasn't really an option.

Archived