BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

he would absolutely have had better chances if he waited another year. he have only been great for two seasons, and i think it takes a little more than that for the big 4 to cough up silly money for him. i wonder what he was thinking. maybe he gambled on madrid to get ronaldo? surely they would never consider him as long as ron is there. chelsea have all kinds of great players all around. arsenal also have that area pretty well covered, so its only pool that would be interested, but they dont have the money?

spurs have more supporters and all that, but on the football level they are indeed a lesser club than rovers, and have been so for the last 15 years if you look at it over all.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Massively disappointed by this sale.

The facts as I see them:

1) It is not about money for Bentley. He has signed a contract worth £7k a week LESS at Spurs than he was offered at Ewood.

2) Bentley also decided to forego about £600K by refusing to take the payrise Rovers offered him in his new contract in February.

3) Massive step backwards for Rovers on the playing front. Without Bentley we are a bottom half club.

4) Villa are leading the way with the treatment of Barry- I do not understand why Rovers simply did not brazen it out the same way with Bentley especially as £7m of the fee is heading straight out to Arsenal.

5) I have no idea how a Manager as raw as Ince can now turn a probable £15m+ available to him into flesh and blood capable of propelling Rovers back into Europe.

6) It seems Ince has no idea how he is going to do that either.

7) Sparky's present to Rovers for being given a chance to manage in the EPL was his personal relationship which delivered Bellamy. Ince's gift is Keith Andrews apparently. There is nothing else to be said at this stage.

And his gift to Rovers also included a get out clause for Bellamy which meant that he left for way below his market value.

Another player going through rehab at Ewood before moving out

The problem isnt Hughes, Ince, or John Williams - the problem is that we are small club and the unwritten rules for small clubs are very different than those of 'big' clubs

Who knows what next season will bring? We still have some amazing players at ewood - how about we give 'em a chance?

I love Blackburn Rovers - call it blind faith, but I am going to give PI & the team all my support.

Massively disappointed by this sale.

The facts as I see them:

1) It is not about money for Bentley. He has signed a contract worth £7k a week LESS at Spurs than he was offered at Ewood.

2) Bentley also decided to forego about £600K by refusing to take the payrise Rovers offered him in his new contract in February.

Surely there's a load of other stuff that means Bentley will be earning stacks more than he could have at Rovers.

The commercial opportunities that come with playing for a mega-club like Spurs.

Salary increase built into his six-year contract.

A massive signing-on fee.

40% to Arsenal....What a shambles....which wally negotiated that.? I thought 10%, maybe 20% tops would be sufficient. :huh:

But if the Rovers couldn't afford to pay the fee Arsenal wanted at the time it was perhaps the only way to get him. Ultimately, the deal was a gamble for both sides. If Bentley hadn't made it at Ewood the Rovers wouldn't have lost a great deal and Arsenal would have lost out on any possible sell-on fee. If he was a success, the Rovers had the benefit of an excellent player and still pick up a reasonable fee while Arsenal pick up a decent share as well.

I would much rather the club negotiate deals like this and bring in young players with potential rather than spend money on wages for the likes of Fowler or pay a couple of million for some 28 year old Fourth Division player.

A summary of Bentley's comments at the press Conference, posted on a Spurs board

"Bentley wearing the black away shirt during the interview

first club used to watch as a kid, watched gazza my friends are season ticket holders and been on the phone getting me tocome here, didnt think that we would be interested in him, but as soon as we were he wanted to come.

arsenal is in the past, only really a youth teamer there but all focused on now is spurs. england future depends on how i performs at spurs which is down to me. looking forward to the challenge of tryin to get in to the midfield

'i was trying my nuts of to get this transfer, i was on my phone everyday. i really wanted this move'

the gaffer can develop my game, spoke to the lads at the club from england and they say its a pleasure to work here, been keeping myself fit just waiting for the deal to be done. there were times i didnt think it would happen due to money men, but now im here and i owe a lot to tottenham to repay the fee but gonna give my heart to the club. wanted to be here and didnt even contemplate any other club. didnt speak to anyone. its up to me in training to perform and i will play wherever the manager puts me.

ramos - he gonna bring a lot to our team technically he has an exquisit touch, we will assess his fitness and get him into the team as soon as poss. didnt say wheter he be in the team against celtic"

A summary of Bentley's comments at the press Conference, posted on a Spurs board

first club used to watch as a kid, watched gazza my friends are season ticket holders and been on the phone getting me tocome here, didnt think that we would be interested in him, but as soon as we were he wanted to come.

arsenal is in the past, only really a youth teamer there but all focused on now is spurs. england future depends on how i performs at spurs which is down to me. looking forward to the challenge of tryin to get in to the midfield

'i was trying my nuts of to get this transfer, i was on my phone everyday. i really wanted this move'

the gaffer can develop my game, spoke to the lads at the club from england and they say its a pleasure to work here, been keeping myself fit just waiting for the deal to be done. there were times i didnt think it would happen due to money men, but now im here and i owe a lot to tottenham to repay the fee but gonna give my heart to the club. wanted to be here and didnt even contemplate any other club. didnt speak to anyone. its up to me in training to perform and i will play wherever the manager puts me.

ramos - he gonna bring a lot to our team technically he has an exquisit touch, we will assess his fitness and get him into the team as soon as poss. didnt say wheter he be in the team against celtic"

He's great isn't he - virtually confirmed he'd been constantly tapped up - HELLO - MR. LEVY - were you listening - hope we report them to the FA. On no sorry - that rule doesn't work for small clubs does it. :angry2:

He's great isn't he - virtually confirmed he'd been constantly tapped up - HELLO - MR. LEVY - were you listening - hope we report them to the FA. On no sorry - that rule doesn't work for small clubs does it. :angry2:

If his friends have ties to the club, if they work there or know the board or owners surely its a form of tapping up?

Anyway whats done is done and we have to move on.

Martin did you watch it? Did he say anything about Rovers?

Yes.

No mention of Rovers in the live bit shown on SSN.

Bentley kept repeating the fact he couldn't be happier and that he'd tried his nuts off all summer to be there.

He also said he couldn't believe Spurs were actually interested in him (Yawn). A strange comment considering he said he wanted to mover to a champions league club!!

Everything he said sounded as though he couldn't leave Rovers quick enough.

I'm sure there will be a Rovers comment pop up somewhere before long. I mean we are dealing with a player who is far from media shy.

These are a summary of comments on a Spurs board, i didn't watch the interview to see if he thanked Rovers or the fans. Wouldn't surprise me if he didn't...

Did anyone watch it?

I may be wrong but a I cannot recall either Hughes of Freidel thanking the Rovers fans.Just get the deal done and 100mph away from Blackburn.

Lennon over Pennant for me as DB's replacement.

Northern lad, PR's team mate ( i think ) and RM has indicated PI likes people with pace, but who can cross (so maybe that rules him out). I have actually seen Lennon put in a few decent crosses.

You said somewhere that you knew for a fact DB was causing trouble. Got any further info?

What an ungrateful little tosser DB is. We were good for him, he was good for us. Why can't he show us some respect?

been keeping myself fit just waiting for the deal to be done.

so would appear there wasn't an injury after all , as nicko (and others) suspected anyway :rock:

This thread is getting a bit like a jilted bloke going through his ex's bins or something - undignified and no damned use whatsoever.

Bentley's gone. Get over it! Move on! Cheer up! Plenty more midfielders in the sea!

I'm over it, but quite frankly his interview nearly induced vomit, what a little mercenary cockney rent boy he is.

What a Shame ! However, him and his new club deserve each other!

2 points about that article:

1] Couldn't rovers have got their replacement brfore they allowed Bentley to sign?

2] Still no mention of any sell on fee to Arsenal.

1) No real point in spending big money on a replacement before the Bentley deal went through. It sounds from what has happened and what was reported in the LT that Ince might have intended keeping DB initially but changed his mind when DB seemingly started feigning injury to get out of the preseason friendlies.

2) I'm not surprised we don't want to say anything about the sell on clause, that is the area where we cocked up big time.

Archived