BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

2. If it is around 20% - other clubs won't know how much money we really have - as we can play the 50% card - i.e. we don't have much money from Bentley.

I think that is exactly why we are not quick to mention it.

If so it does make one ponder why Arsenal are not mentioning it at nauseum.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that is exactly why we are not quick to mention it.

And let everyone know how much money we have to spend? Come on, just think about things a little, Williams isn't going to weaken our bargaining power just to put an end to speculation amongst fans.

And let everyone know how much money we have to spend? Come on, just think about things a little, Williams isn't going to weaken our bargaining power just to put an end to speculation amongst fans.

I think that is what is happening.

We are holding our cards close to our chest, everyone assumes we only have the amount the newspapers are saying.

We in fact have much more, why would we announce that? Clubs would assume we can afford more for a player and our bargaining power diminishes.

I thought that is what I said in the first place, in the post above yours.

I do wonder about this sell on clause - though it could be keeping things in confidence - not revealing it does serve one of two purposes :-

1. If it is around 50% - it saves JW from some awkward questions about the original deal

2. If it is around 20% - other clubs won't know how much money we really have - as we can play the 50% card - i.e. we don't have much money from Bentley.

I'd be disappointed if we agreed to such a large sell on clause.

2 - Is exactly what the club are doing. JW is a very shrewd person and im sure he has done the business once again. £17m for Bentley is great money - he is never a £17m player! He just isnt consistent enough.

Exactly LeChuck.

Who does Bentley support?

I'm 99% sure when he scored that Hat-trick against Man Utd he said something along the lines of "It's a dream to score a hat-trick against the club I supported as a child".

Correct me if i'm wrong,

He also said not so long ago something along the lines of "As a child it was always England for me, the only team I wanted to support"

Considering how much young Dave loves the sound of his own voice, you could probably find quotes stating he supported most of the teams in the PL as a child.

I'm glad he's gone. Ball is in your court now Incey. Go on, win me over.

DB Loses Shirt

Bentley, who was presented as a Spurs player yesterday, has cultivated his public image as carefully as Beckham, and the No 7 shirt at Spurs was intended to be part of the package. He was dismayed to learn that Lennon was given the number.

Bentley has agreed to settle for No 5.

As a Spurs fan Im surprised he didnt want Gazza's old shirt.

Amazing though his hero was Eric Cantona

Manchester United Fan Bentley

"Quote I'm a Manchester United fan. My dad originally got me watching them and the way they played. Eric Cantona was there at the time - I loved him, him and Gazza. The first match I ever saw was Tottenham versus Wimbledon when Gazza first came down to London. Lineker was there too, but for me Cantona was the true hero.

David Bentley, Spurs-lover and supporter (according to his quotes yesterday), obviously speaks with a forked tongue.

These are just a few snippets from the recent past.

Independent February 2007

Bentley's father was in the RAF and the family moved around: he was born in Peterborough and they lived briefly in Belgium before settling in Cheshunt, where he grew up. Now all the Bentleys, including David, have moved back to Rochdale, near to Blackburn, from where the family originally comes. And Bentley would like to put the record straight on one dodgy tabloid story: despite living in a Tottenham heartland like Cheshunt, he was never a Spurs fan

Daily Mail, January 2008

His piercing London accent remains the same, but he loves playing for Blackburn and living close to Bury. 'I'm not a foreigner here. I have family in Rochdale, I feel right at home. Lancashire is a lovely place to live. I've been back to London twice since I came up here. It feels right for me.'

Guardian December 2007

People think I'm a Cockney wide boy and that my family are going to be a little bit wahey, a little bit wee [as in The Fast Show character]. But do you know where my parents are from? Rochdale. They were in the RAF for years. We've lived all over the place but, essentially, we're northerners."

Archived