G Somerset Rover Posted August 12, 2009 Posted August 12, 2009 An awful lot of questions need answering right now. And yet we're three days away from the big kick off...
This thread is brought to you by theterracestore.com Enter code `BRFCS` at checkout for an exclusive discount!
roversfan1 Posted August 12, 2009 Posted August 12, 2009 Personally I find it frustrating that we may have to seel one of our best players to bring one or two others in - its not like we are talking £10m plus here, would it really kill the board to allow a bit of 'over spend' if Sam thinks its needed...there is alot of deadwood we could sell / get rid of that may help free up some wages too. We cant continue this 'sell to buy' policy as sooner or later we wont have anyone left that others want!
Kelbo Posted August 12, 2009 Posted August 12, 2009 Were all "assuming" being the key word here, that he's gonna slot in at right back, Just look at Campo for example, he played as a defender at Madrid, and then Allardyce converted him into a midfielder, he might be thinking some where along the lines again. Dosen't mean neccesarily beacuse he's a right back he can't play any where else, he might easily slot in front of the back 4 At last some sense, thats where he would play and do one hell of a job too!!
Silencio Posted August 12, 2009 Posted August 12, 2009 Salgado is so past it it's unbelievable. Before Kalinic signed we were told there was 13 million available (even though the club has gained 20 million through sales this summer), since then, we have spent 6.5 million on Kalinic and are now being told there is no money. WHERE HAS THE MONEY GONE? I think it's time to start asking serious questions...
goragaz Posted August 12, 2009 Posted August 12, 2009 At last some sense, thats where he would play and do one hell of a job too!! He's a right back and would if we signed him play at right back forget your fancy idea's of a makelele/campo type think more lee dixon jeff kenna even heaven forbid danny simpson rb right back god WTF
RibbleValleyRover Posted August 12, 2009 Posted August 12, 2009 Before Kalinic signed we were told there was 13 million available (even though the club has gained 20 million through sales this summer), since then, we have spent 6.5 million on Kalinic and are now being told there is no money. WHERE HAS THE MONEY GONE? I think it's time to start asking serious questions... Givet + N'Zonzi+ Kalinic= All spent. Givet cost around £4 million?, N'Zonzi 500k to a Million? and Kalinic over £6 million.
Esben_DK Posted August 12, 2009 Posted August 12, 2009 WHERE HAS THE MONEY GONE? http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/...kburn/4533084./
Gambit217 Posted August 12, 2009 Posted August 12, 2009 Salgado is so past it it's unbelievable. Before Kalinic signed we were told there was 13 million available (even though the club has gained 20 million through sales this summer), since then, we have spent 6.5 million on Kalinic and are now being told there is no money. WHERE HAS THE MONEY GONE? I think it's time to start asking serious questions... As John Williams has already said, wages account for a worrying 85% of turnover at the club, meaning there's not much left for transfer fees. We are pretty much sure to be operating at a loss due to last seasons lower than expected league position. On the subject of the £13m budget, that was reported in the LET but never confirmed as far as I can remember ? Though we have spent the below. (roughly) Givet : £4.5m N'Zonzi : £400k Kalinic : £6.2m Add in signing on fees for Jacobsen and Elrio and it's near enough to £11m or more ?
imy9 Posted August 12, 2009 Posted August 12, 2009 Givet + N'Zonzi+ Kalinic= All spent. Givet cost around £4 million?, N'Zonzi over a Million? and Kalinic over £6 million. The figure of £13 million was being brandished about AFTER we signed Givet, N Zonzi cost about £400K, even so, that would make it £10.5 million (remember we received about £20 million from Derbs and RSC) The club directors are going about it the right way if they want us to be struggling this season. I would suggest that we have actually spent NOTHING in two seasons in transfers, we have merely generated funds through selling our best players, even Derby had a higher net spend than us! Seriously low right now
G Somerset Rover Posted August 12, 2009 Posted August 12, 2009 WHERE HAS THE MONEY GONE? I think it's time to start asking serious questions... Whilst I agree with the posters who say that we need to ship out some players to free up 'places' if you like, I can't help but agreeing with you also with regards to our transfer pot. It just goes to show that we could never have been serious in our hunt for the likes of Jones, Cardoza and Bent, because, quite frankly we would never have shelled out anything over £6 million upfront (as I understand Kalinic is only £3.5 million upfront). The only way we would have had a chance with the likes of these guys is if they'd become available at a ridiculously low price - which isn't and wasn't gonna happen.
RibbleValleyRover Posted August 12, 2009 Posted August 12, 2009 The figure of £13 million was being brandished about AFTER we signed Givet I think some people assumed that we had money left over in January that could have been used to buy Villanueva but instead was used to buy Givet. Considering there are articles that say the pot is empty and we have to sell to bring in anyone else i think the view was incorrect and that Givet's transfer fee came from the sale of Roque and Derbs.
imy9 Posted August 12, 2009 Posted August 12, 2009 I think some people assumed that we had money left over in January that could have been used to buy Villanueva but instead was used to buy Givet. Considering there are articles that say the pot is empty and we have to sell to bring in anyone else i think the view was incorrect and that Givet's transfer fee came from the sale of Roque and Derbs. There was also something mentioned about the trustees putting in £3.5 million- something which they have done for a few seasons, surely this covered the purchase of Givet?
Saahil Posted August 12, 2009 Posted August 12, 2009 We had 4 million saved up for carlos. we used that to buy Givet
rovertheworld Posted August 12, 2009 Posted August 12, 2009 Shouldn't we have a budget already decided, before any sales are made say £5m for example, on top of any sales the club makes. So in reality what is happening is the trustes arent providing sam any funds at all beacuse the money sam is using is the money brought in from the sale of santa and derbyshire not from that the trustes have given him, beacuse if they did he would still have some money left in the pot to add a couple more.
accyrover Posted August 12, 2009 Posted August 12, 2009 There was also something mentioned about the trustees putting in £3.5 million- something which they have done for a few seasons, surely this covered the purchase of Givet? Wasnt 8 mill used to pay off last years operating loss ?
Gambit217 Posted August 12, 2009 Posted August 12, 2009 Shouldn't we have a budget already decided, before any sales are made say £5m for example, on top of any sales the club makes. So in reality what is happening is the trustes arent providing sam any funds at all beacuse the money sam is using is the money brought in from the sale of santa and derbyshire not from that the trustes have given him, beacuse if they did he would still have some money left in the pot to add a couple more. Could it not just be that the LET reported wrongly that the budget was £13m and it was indeed a lot less ?
The Harwood Yankee Posted August 12, 2009 Posted August 12, 2009 The only circumstances under which we should even contemplate selling Warnock is if the money goes up to a level where it can bring in a central midfielder of genuine quality - the 'younger Tugay' we've been crying out for the last 3 seasons - and otherwise forget it. Even if it raises the funds to bring in the likes of Rothen what's the point when central midfield remains our Achilles heel? The thought of having to sit through another season watching League 2 Andrews etc being outplayed week after week is depressing beyond words.
Guest ErinBrown Posted August 12, 2009 Posted August 12, 2009 So i take it the trusties have packed in their £3 million a season again?
Kelbo Posted August 12, 2009 Posted August 12, 2009 The only circumstances under which we should even contemplate selling Warnock is if the money goes up to a level where it can bring in a central midfielder of genuine quality - the 'younger Tugay' we've been crying out for the last 3 seasons - and otherwise forget it. Even if it raises the funds to bring in the likes of Rothen what's the point when central midfield remains our Achilles heel? The thought of having to sit through another season watching League 2 Andrews etc being outplayed week after week is depressing beyond words. I agree
LeChuck Posted August 12, 2009 Posted August 12, 2009 Before this escalates out of control, I think people could perhaps be misinterpreting the stories about money. We may have transfer money to spend, but it should blindingly obvious to everyone that there is no room for more on the wage bill without shipping people out first. We are carrying a bloated squad, we can't just to add to that, even if there is money to spend. It makes perfect sense that at least one has to go before Salgado can come.
Hughesy Posted August 12, 2009 Posted August 12, 2009 The only facts we have about money are these: We finished below target, therefore losing out on placing money. Sam said that half the £21m receieved for Derbs & RSC had gone to the bank - Leaves us with £10.5m We have signed Givet £3.5m, NZonzi £0.4m, Kalinic £6m. As for our squad - Like Sam said, its a case of deadwood out, better quality in.....what is peoples problem with that?
RibbleValleyRover Posted August 12, 2009 Posted August 12, 2009 As for our squad - Like Sam said, its a case of deadwood out, better quality in.....what is peoples problem with that? Don't think anyone has a problem with that, however its highly debatable whether Warnock out and Salgado + Rothen in is actually 'bringing in better quality'.
tcj_jones Posted August 12, 2009 Posted August 12, 2009 I just don't get why we're after Salgado. We have two international standard specialist right backs already, one of which we've only just signed. I also don't understand why we are looking at more mediocre ageing midfielders and wide men when we already have about four hundred to choose from. We should be looking to bring in one quality CM and to get rid of two others. We don't need anyone else.
misterbigalow Posted August 12, 2009 Posted August 12, 2009 We finished below target, therefore losing out on placing money. Yeah, this is what really annoys me about the last game of last season. We were so awful and obviously not bothered against West Brom. If we'd have won that game, we'd have jumped up two places in the table. Unsure how much more money that brings, but I bet it would have been a substantial amount to go towards wages/fees for new players. I think we really shot ourselves in the foot in that last game (obviously we were beyond rubbish for half the season, but yeah!).
T4E Posted August 12, 2009 Posted August 12, 2009 I am pretty sure he didn't speak to Villa - even unofficially. Not sure he wants to leave, but if the coffers are empty he may have to. An awful lot of questions need answering right now. Read the posts made on the subject and make your own mind up. Nobody can give you anymore than has been posted, yet. Is it time for people to start asking about 11 o'clockers and Luca Toni yet? Come on man, you're doing a cracking job at the minute under difficult circumstances (and pretty much single handedly) but there's no need to be quite so itchy on the trigger. Before this escalates out of control, I think people could perhaps be misinterpreting the stories about money. We may have transfer money to spend, but it should blindingly obvious to everyone that there is no room for more on the wage bill without shipping people out first. We are carrying a bloated squad, we can't just to add to that, even if there is money to spend. It makes perfect sense that at least one has to go before Salgado can come. Was about to post the same Dean. There's still a few players we may have expected to move out this Summer that haven't gone yet. Zurab and Gally are the two most prominent. Transfer funds are a totally different kettle of fish.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.