BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The "Impartial" Bbc

dixonbrfc

after just watching match of the day 2 and saturday night version im getting abit miffed of hearing them slag blackburn of all the time!

"a most unlikely victory" - us beating villa

"not handball by dunn, but could be dangerous play by di santo"

im sure there was more. just cant wait for next weeks edition!

read some of the stuff pointed out on this page, it brings back some good memories.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Add to that the constant Burnley chatter that goes on - Why on earth did they have Clarke Carlisle on the panel tonight?... and then they proceeded with the same analysis of them banging on and on about home their form - we had all that on Football Focus AND Match of the Day on Saturday!! :angry:

I thought Carlise was quite good on it, he at least seems to have more between his ears than most footballers.

You can't moan about them saying it was an 'unlikely victory' - read the Villa preview, virtually everyone one on here thought it was unlikely!

I thought Carlise was quite good on it, he at least seems to have more between his ears than most footballers.

You can't moan about them saying it was an 'unlikely victory' - read the Villa preview, virtually everyone one on here thought it was unlikely!

Carlisle won that brainy sportsman thing a couple of years back

It bugged me to. Just the way it sounded, made it seem like Villa had all the game and we just got a penalty at the end and nicked it.

Probably just reading to much into it :D

After last night's coverage, I complained to the BBC online about their bias and lack of care for Rovers. Look forward to their response <_<

I wouldn't hold out too much hope - especially when the Villa manager is a part-time pundit :angry2: Even without this, we always get negative coverage from the Beeb, we are everyone's favourite whipping boys - as they feel they can get away with it.

They treat plenty of teams like this. Wigan barely got a mention after they had beaten Chelsea. There is no bias against us, its just that we're playing in the lower reaches of the league, not doing well enough to be praised or poorly enough to get sympathy. Look at Pompey and Spurs atm, getting loads of attention for good and bad reasons.

As far as our game was concerned - We had just been thrashed by Everton and only narrowly got past Forest in the cup. We were also one goal down at one stage and then down to 10 men, that is why it was 'unlikely'. Instead of instantly thinking that it was a snide remark about Rovers from a biased BBC, actually think about the situation.

And as far as the BBC cosying up to Burnley. Lets be fair, they've done pretty damn well so far plus every promoted side has this honeymoon period for the first month or so - look at Hull/Stoke last season. New teams who have never played in the prem before always get this attention.

MOTD never seems to show us in a positive light if we have many more chances, their coverage always makes it look like we just nicked it or whatever. If its any of the big teams we get to see about 10 chances per game for them!!

Someone should hold up a sign in the Bburn end 'MOTD dont like us....we dont care'

It is not just the BBC, although they do seem to be the worst, but all the media. They are only interested in clubs with big followings. They would much prefer it if the likes of Lancashire clubs were replaced with the likes of Leeds and Newcastle. They feel these would boost their viewing figures.

As for Burnley they are just building them up and waiting for the fall like Hull last season.

Its always the same with them. We rareley get fair coverage, and whilst i think this also applies to a few other clubs it seems that we get it on a consistent basis.

There's also an element of lazy journalism from the BBC and the commentators not doing their research or knowing their facts. Expample, which for some reason annoyed me on Saturdays MOTD was the MGP attempt just before Samba scored. Commentator something along the lines of "a great chance for Pedersen but hes hit it high and wide into the Villa supporters still celebrating behind the goal". Was this the same Villa fans behind the same goal that were a few minutes later leaping in the air as Samba scored!

I noticed that, and was a tad suprised to be classed as a Villa fan.

The whole BBC coverage for smaller teams like ourselves is poor, although as others have said we've seemed to have it more than most clubs. The more I think about the penalty decision the harder it gets to stomach their analysis - the ball hitting your hands above when your head is now not a penalty - pathetic.

I'd be interested to hear what other fans of clubs outside the big 4-6 love in think of the show.

I noticed that, and was a tad suprised to be classed as a Villa fan.

The whole BBC coverage for smaller teams like ourselves is poor, although as others have said we've seemed to have it more than most clubs. The more I think about the penalty decision the harder it gets to stomach their analysis - the ball hitting your hands above when your head is now not a penalty - pathetic.

I'd be interested to hear what other fans of clubs outside the big 4-6 love in think of the show.

What annoy's me is that when they discussed the decision on MOTD, they failed to mention that we had at least half a dozen big decisions go against us in the game and that tool Clattenberg HAD to give us the pen after some horrific decisions.

i hate this victimization attitude. We've not done well enough to get praise or badly enough to get sympathy. People mentioning every little detail which MOTD should have picked up on as if they're looking for any reason to say that the media are against us; we're not important enough to have a bias against us.

'Expample, which for some reason annoyed me on Saturdays MOTD was the MGP attempt just before Samba scored. Commentator something along the lines of "a great chance for Pedersen but hes hit it high and wide into the Villa supporters still celebrating behind the goal". Was this the same Villa fans behind the same goal that were a few minutes later leaping in the air as Samba scored'

He clearly meant the villa fans in the upper tier. Why are people so eager to subscribe to this notion that if they dont praise Rovers or get every little comment spot on during our games that there is bias? Im not saying that the coverage is good but look at every other match, they treat so many other teams the same way. If we had scored 6 against Hull or 5 against Burnley im damn well sure they would have done more analysis.

i hate this victimization attitude. We've not done well enough to get praise or badly enough to get sympathy. People mentioning every little detail which MOTD should have picked up on as if they're looking for any reason to say that the media are against us; we're not important enough to have a bias against us.

'Expample, which for some reason annoyed me on Saturdays MOTD was the MGP attempt just before Samba scored. Commentator something along the lines of "a great chance for Pedersen but hes hit it high and wide into the Villa supporters still celebrating behind the goal". Was this the same Villa fans behind the same goal that were a few minutes later leaping in the air as Samba scored'

He clearly meant the villa fans in the upper tier. Why are people so eager to subscribe to this notion that if they dont praise Rovers or get every little comment spot on during our games that there is bias? Im not saying that the coverage is good but look at every other match, they treat so many other teams the same way. If we had scored 6 against Hull or 5 against Burnley im damn well sure they would have done more analysis.

That is bias though, isn't it? Doesn't that prove the point?

I don't think it's anything to do with victimisation or an attitude that takes offence at every belittlement. In the case of the BBC, they are purported to be impartial and it's clearly not the case. When commentators on the radio make snide comments that can't be taken any other way, they are one-sided in their TV commentary and they have match reports online that are at odds with other news media outlets then you know you are dealing with an organisation that has lost all credibility in impartiality. I don't feel victimised. I feel somewhat disgusted that the BBC has gone this way and they 'suck up' to the bigger teams but it doesn't make me feel damaged or a victim. Let them get on with it. There are some things the BBC does exceptionally well, football coverage used to be excellent but it is probably as bad as watching MUTV now only with a few more teams as their favourites.

If we had scored 6 against Hull or 5 against Burnley im damn well sure they would have done more analysis.

I'm not sure we would have done. It would have been about their deficiencies - not about how well we played. I don't think we are victimised and yes, other teams are not treated very well either, but we are consistently near the end of the programme. We were behind Man u Stoke - fewer goals and a more predictable result - and Birmingham Bolton - same number of goals and a more predictable result - this weekend, and that I just find illogical. It's not as though either game was particualrly exciting either so surely just for once they could have held the Man U game till later and dropped the Birmingham game down the order and put us on just a game or 2 sooner. That is surely not too much to ask.

Watching MOTD2, I din't know who the articulate young fellow was offering up some lucid, sensible comments on the games.

I've only found out now reading this thread it was Carlisle from Burnley.

Well, good on the producers for recognising a bright footballer able to discuss the game in something other than cliches and platitudes and putting him on.

Reminds me of the pleasure I used to get reading Jorge Valdano's thoughts on football years ago (although he seems to have stopped since becoming Real Madrid's sporting director).

I didnt say anything about feeling victimised? I was simply making the point that again the commentator made a factual error. Now bearing in mind that he is paid to comentate on the game (and probably paid quite well) he should be doing is job properly and get his facts right. If I turn up to my job with a slack attitude and get things wrong then I get punished. I certainly dont think we are being victimised its just that people need to understand that when commentators or pundits make certain comments about any club it helps to mould the public perception of that club, so they should make sure their views and comments are correct.

And for me I dont buy the excuse that he meant the Villa fans in the upper tier as the ball went nowhere near the upper tier. It was an error on his part.

If you think the BBC get it wrong have a look at the Daily Mail comments. They said that the assist for Rovers first goal came from an MGP long throw.

Clearly the writer had not seen the game.

Archived