BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The "Impartial" Bbc

dixonbrfc

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I listen to a lot of Five Live and through that I've grown to like Colin Murray. I think the reason he's got the MOTD2 gig is that he doesn't pretend to be anything more than a fan and doesn't take himself too seriously but at the same time usually knows the facts, talks sense and gets some interesting quotes from sports people on his shows.

I can understand why people who have mainly come across him on TV find him a bit annoying but I'm pretty sure it's his work on BBC radio which has got him the job.

I listen to a lot of Five Live and through that I've grown to like Colin Murray. I think the reason he's got the MOTD2 gig is that he doesn't pretend to be anything more than a fan and doesn't take himself too seriously but at the same time usually knows the facts, talks sense and gets some interesting quotes from sports people on his shows.

I can understand why people who have mainly come across him on TV find him a bit annoying but I'm pretty sure it's his work on BBC radio which has got him the job.

I don't like him on radio most of the time either. He's not bad on Fighting Talk if you can ignore the Northern Irish accent which I find more annoying than any of the regional British accents, largely because I can't work out how they make some of those sounds, but on anything else he's as irritating as he is on TV.

Colin Murray definitely used to have that irritating personality in his Radio 1 days which seems a pre-requisite for the job, but I recall thinking he was quite good when he did Channel 5 coverage of Rovers UEFA Cup games a couple of years back.

He seemed to adopt a supportive stance for us within his presenting style, unlike most BBC presenters who seem to see us a dirty part of the job.

I think he will surprise some of you, he certainly has a more genuine, and less jaundiced and biased view than the likes of Lineker, Hansen, and Lawrenson.

Give him a chance, he may surprise some...

Colin Murray definitely used to have that irritating personality in his Radio 1 days which seems a pre-requisite for the job, but I recall thinking he was quite good when he did Channel 5 coverage of Rovers UEFA Cup games a couple of years back.

He seemed to adopt a supportive stance for us within his presenting style, unlike most BBC presenters who seem to see us a dirty part of the job.

I think he will surprise some of you, he certainly has a more genuine, and less jaundiced and biased view than the likes of Lineker, Hansen, and Lawrenson.

Give him a chance, he may surprise some...

No, despite the fact that he was presenting the Valentine's day programme from Leverkusen when both my younger kids appeared on screen, I still don't like his presenting style. Yes, he'll be different from the Saturday night crew, but for me it won't be a pleasant difference. some will grow to like him and he may become less irritating if he stays on long enough to become part of the furniture, but I suspect I'll still find him downright irritating.

I don't like him on radio most of the time either. He's not bad on Fighting Talk if you can ignore the Northern Irish accent which I find more annoying than any of the regional British accents, largely because I can't work out how they make some of those sounds, but on anything else he's as irritating as he is on TV.

:angry2: (even though I'm not actually from Northern Ireland), but :angry2: anyway

It's all in the nose gumboots ;)

Love the Ulster accent, unfortunately two of the people in the media I loath the most speak with it- Colin Murray and Alan Green!

It's not the accent that makes me dislike Murray. I have friends with all sorts of accents. However, when you already dislike someone, the NI accent is the most annoying one to my ears. I know others dislike midlands and so on. it's whatever grates on you the most.

• 7 months later...

MOTD2 is much more entertaining than the main show. It's light-hearted, humorous and pundits like Savage make up for the tedium of Hansen, Shearer, Lawro etc (although I don't think they appreciated him slagging off the Top Four at every opportunity - keep it up, Sav! :D) I'm even warming to Colin Murray... :mellow:

MOTD2 is much more entertaining than the main show. It's light-hearted, humorous and pundits like Savage make up for the tedium of Hansen, Shearer, Lawro etc (although I don't think they appreciated him slagging off the Top Four at every opportunity - keep it up, Sav! :D) I'm even warming to Colin Murray... :mellow:

Rarely watch it now. Mostly the matches have been on during the day on Sky and unless they offer something really new in the way of punditry the thought of having to get up for work the next morning means I just don't bother. And I still don't like Murray

Saturday night Match of the Day is a travesty of a program.

I agree on MOTD2, Murray used to rile me but get past his Ulster twang and you can see his enthusiasm for football.

Plus, You've got to love Sav!

Sav was quality last night....points like 'if the big 4 scored that goal we would never hear the end of it' and also that hes fed up hearing 'if a lesser team beats a big 4, its always a case that the big 4 had an off day, rather than giving credit to the lesser teams'.

Spot on Sav...but the BBC probably wont invite you back any time soon! :lol:

Sav was quality last night....points like 'if the big 4 scored that goal we would never hear the end of it' and also that hes fed up hearing 'if a lesser team beats a big 4, its always a case that the big 4 had an off day, rather than giving credit to the lesser teams'.

Spot on Sav...but the BBC probably wont invite you back any time soon! :lol:

He says all that on 606 and they keep having him on there

Rarely watch it now. Mostly the matches have been on during the day on Sky and unless they offer something really new in the way of punditry the thought of having to get up for work the next morning means I just don't bother. And I still don't like Murray

Then you would have missed David Ginola on there the other week. The ladies' favourite.

Then you would have missed David Ginola on there the other week. The ladies' favourite.

Sue Barker's - not mine! Could never understand the fuss. I teach French so the accent doesn't make me go weak at the knees or anything. And I saw some of that one - don't boycott it - just don't find it riveting enough to keep me awake.

Another thing I like about Sav on TV; he's not scared to forecast something such as WBA are safe from relegation and Wolves, West Ham and Wigan will be relegated.

In other words, if he finishes up with egg on his face, he's not bothered.

Great bloke.

I thought it was a class goal, Berbatov picked up the ball on the edge of his own box and orchestrated the whole thing.

Exactly. Painful though it was to watch it again, it's a class goal in that it starts from the back and Berbatov is involved at 3 or 4 points in the move. Don't read an anti Rovers agenda where there is none. There are plenty of times where we get put down but not this time.

Exactly. Painful though it was to watch it again, it's a class goal in that it starts from the back and Berbatov is involved at 3 or 4 points in the move. Don't read an anti Rovers agenda where there is none. There are plenty of times where we get put down but not this time.

Never said it was. It was just a @#/? choice.

Both Elmander & Varney's goals were much better.

Never said it was. It was just a @#/? choice.

Both Elmander & Varney's goals were much better.

It's all opinion though isn't it and the opinion that mattered this time was shearer's. If it had been one of the others choosing they might have agreed with you. Personally I reluctantly agreed with Shearer on this occasion because I do love those where the same guy is involved several times in the move

Archived