BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

outside the box JR is a power house, unbelievable strength and has a lot of plus points to his game, as soon as he gets in the box he just loses it for some reason, but in the box is where he should be most dangerous afterall he is a striker is he not?

Yes, my point exactly.

Beattie is the absolute reverse of that and more suited to our style of play.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay I gotcha now, it is not the amount of goals or threat to goal that you are worried about it’s the fact that you don’t like the tactics that will be used with him in the front line, am I right?

If so, I can see one problem with that – we will play that way anyway. Wouldn’t you rather have someone that can perhaps do something with that type of play rather than one that seems incapable of slotting such balls home.

Roberts can make a royal nuisance of himself running with balls lofted forward to him, but when in the box and one pinged in at throat height he seems incapable of dealing with it.

Beattie or Benjani certainly don't pose anymore of a goal threat than Jason Roberts so what is the point of hiring these guys.

Even Nicko is questioning the reason behind it. Theres no constructive logic to it at all.

Nicko said today he can see the logic, get an experienced head alongside Diouf and Kalinic. Beattie is a goalscorer and has a better goal record than Roberts, who would you prefer to be running one on one with the keeper? I dont understand why hes being put with Benjani, hes just Roberts with an even worse goal record and dodgy knees.

So what was 2008/09 and 09/10 stats just to keep us all upto date Bucky?

Stoke City 2009 - 10

League 11 (11) 3

FA Cup 1 (0) 0

League Cup 1 (0) 0

Stoke City 2008 - 09

League 16 (0) 7

Sheffield Utd 2008 - 09

League 21 (2) 12

League Cup 1 (0) 0

So in the Premiership an average of 1 per 2.7 starts. Better than i expected.

Beattie or Benjani certainly don't pose anymore of a goal threat than Jason Roberts so what is the point of hiring these guys.

Even Nicko is questioning the reason behind it. Theres no constructive logic to it at all.

JAL we are just going to have to disagree on this one mate, Beattie would score more goals per game than Roberts any day. The work rate will not be the same as Jason but the end product will certainly be more.

Hey, we may not sign him anyway and Roberts can go on to prove you right.

It just opinions and ours differ.

As for Nicko and logic, I don’t think that matters at all. How can you trust someone’s opinion that supports Thistle? ;)

Stoke City 2008 - 09 League 16 (0) 7

Sheffield Utd 2008 - 09 League 21 (2) 12

Sheffield Utd 2007 - 08 League 36 (3) 22

Everton 2005 - 06 League 29 (3) 10

Southampton 2003 - 04 League 32 (5) 14

Southampton 2002 - 03 League 35 (3) 23

Southampton 2001 - 02 League 24 (4) 12

Southampton 2000 - 01 League 30 (7) 11

Southampton 1998 - 99 League 22 (13) 5

He got at least 5 in these seasons....

You've missed the most important one the upto date one last seasons stats what are they please.

Stoke City 2009 - 10

League 11 (11) 3

He obviously wasnt motivated and had fallen out with the maanager, you cant dispute he can score goals at this level. Id prefer someone better but you seem insistent that we dont sign him, even for a cheap fee.

If you had to plot those stats on a histogram it would clearly show that hes on a consistent downward trend with his peak showing several years ago.

Thanks for the imformation 'roversfan99' supports everything about Beattie being kept as far away from Ewood park. B)

Thanks again and I fully hope that we can put all this nonsense behind us and move on by celebrating another far more interesting signing than your Benjani's and Beatties of this world.

Arte et labore

I got the figures from Stokes website because you asked for them. And his worse spell was at Everton, he revived his career at Sheffield United and carried his form on to keep Stoke up before falling out with the manager.

When i heard theres some news then found out our target is Beattie it was a disappointment, i would of loved Guiza to join and there have been many more interesting players than Beattie(and Heskey and Benjani are alot worse)

However this deal seems inevitable and has done for a while, so im just trying to look at it positively, as i think hes better than Roberts, so if he cost the same i wouldnt mind. I wouldnt have him as first choice, but hes someone who if we play him can find the net at this level. I hope we have other options available though.

Edit: that link might mean we get someone more exciting, lets wait and see.

Looks like the only real options are Beattie or Benjani.

If its a choice between the two I would pick Beattie, he is a local lad so there may be some incentive there for him to raise his game for a period if he joins and iirc I read somewhere he has more often than not been pretty decent in front of goal in his first season at each of the clubs he has been at. His age isn't ideal, nor his wage and he does pick up injuries (though his knees aren't about to fall off like Benjani). So if its a choice between those two I would pick Beattie every time.

Overall I have to say I am disappointed that these appear to be the only options. I find it hard to believe that there isn't someone out there who would cost less and has the potential for a re-sale if we developed them.

I'm beginning to think inviting Benjani in to train was a masterstroke by the powers that be - after that everyone seems positively eager to get Beattie.

Beattie would be a desperate signing just not quite as desperate as Benjani.

Someone somewhere must really hate us for us to be in with a chance of being lumbered with Beattie and Benjani in the same transfer window - perhaps it's karma getting us back for signing Shearer and Sutton in the early to mid 90's.

I'm beginning to think inviting Benjani in to train was a masterstroke by the powers that be - after that everyone seems positively eager to get Beattie.

Beattie would be a desperate signing just not quite as desperate as Benjani.

Someone somewhere must really hate us for us to be in with a chance of being lumbered with Beattie and Benjani in the same transfer window - perhaps it's karma getting us back for signing Shearer and Sutton in the early to mid 90's.

Now you are losing it!! (As well as most people on here) <_<

Overall I have to say I am disappointed that these appear to be the only options. I find it hard to believe that there isn't someone out there who would cost less and has the potential for a re-sale if we developed them.

Agreed.

Doesn't show our scouting network in a particularly good light.

Looks like we are losing another striker.................

Blackman is Off

Craig Brown, Motherwell Manager- “We are also hopeful of completing a loan move for Blackburn’s Nick Blackman tomorrow (Friday). He comes very highly recommended from Sam Allardyce and Steve Kean, two men I trust implicitly."

Hoorah!! Now all Sam has to do is tell Brown that Grella, Rigters, Zurab, Chimbonda, Jason Brown, Julio Santa Cruz and Keith Andrews are the greatest players the world has ever seen and worth bankrupting Motherwell to sign- a snip at £100 million each.

Let's make this Friday the 13th our lucky day.

And may it put an end to our "Jason-nightmares" :rolleyes:

Beattie to Rangers for £1.5million is good news so far.

And by the end of this day have:

- Someone gave us a £1million bid for Roberts, that we gladly accepts.

- Rapid Wien accepted our £4million bid for Jelavic.

That's all I ask of this day...

Benjani can sign a pay-as-you-play deal later and become our fourth striker..

Guest Kamy100

The Lancashire Telegraph report that initially we were after bringing a young striker in, however after the arrival of Diouf and imminent departure of Roberts. Rovers now want to bring in a experienced physically strong striker. That to me suggests Beattie or Benjani. The paper report that Benjani continues to train with Rovers and could provide a short term solution.

They also report that Teymourian deal is almost dead due to work permit problems. The addition of another midfielder is being looked at but is a secondary priority.

Basically we are skint, and cannot compete in the transfer Market in any meaningful way, so we are going down the cheap and cheerful route. I would suspect that Sam will jump ship at the earliest available opportunity if we are not taken over.

Archived