BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

While I fully agree with your view that the Academy is our future lifeline, the simple fact is that it is a long term policy. I believe that the links between Academy-Reserves-Senior squad have improved tremendously over the past twelve months. However, although we are seeing an increasing number of players progressing to the senior squad - admittedly through necessity - we will still have to depend on the transfer market in the short term. Without increased investment from either the Trust - which is unlikely as they want to sell the club - or new owners - which still seems some way off - I'm not quite sure how the present policy is going to change.

There's a lot more to consider at an academy than just progressing players through the ranks. We are the world's leading football science research center and have a team that purely looks at what makes a professional player with research covering brazil, spain, france. Dr Paul Ford is considered one of, if not the best in this field. Its a serious part of the reason Madrid wanted the research and bid millions for it.

If you want to enable as many kids as possible to achieve their potential the whole structure from 8-18 must be very carefully planned. I enclose a link to a piece of research that was done a few years ago that focuses on the differences between those that make it and those that don't. Looking mainly at the type of training they do and when. This is crucial to ensuring that any player develops, its an interesting read.

Everyone on here goes about the trust needed to invest money, no we need to be smarter with the money we have. Sell Zurab and channel his 20K a week into the academy instead, I'm more than sure it would not effect our league position given his non-contribution recently. That money with careful usage could make our academy one of the best in the country.

Its high time this country embraced sports science fully, just as spain, france & holland have and the results are there for all to see.

Ford's paper

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

who is this H. FERNANDEZ we are meant to have signed on Sky Sports News?

It's been addressed several times, he's a youngster, one of the reserve players I believe, signed a while ago. May have played against Hearts or Preston?

James Beattie has been offered a three-year deal at Rangers on around £1.2 million-a-year.

That is decent money and a longer deal than he is at with Stoke. He is on about £2 million-a-year there but has one season to run.

Stoke can influence where he is going by giving him a settlement if he chooses one club over another. Interesting factor.

I don't think Rovers will match those terms...so it is up to the player to knock them back.

To be fair to him if he turns that down for the chance of joining Rovers he deserves some credit.

Surprised the manager is saying he isn't getting him. There is still some life in this.

No progress on Roberts. If he has to play tomorrow it will be some do.

Stoke want rid of Beattie because he crossed Pulis....no other reason - prior to that he was in their 1st team plans.

When they signed him he saved their asses. Now im not over the moon with Beattie, but Beattie for Roberts, for the same money & same wages is a good deal for us....he will score more than Roberts, he will put much more effort in that Roberts and also he is a local lad so will give that extra 10%. The only worry has to be signing Beattie before Roberts moves on, as we might get stuck with Roberts (Suggestions he wanted 30k a week from QPR).

I still however want to see a better 'CASH' signing - whether it be midfield or a young striker.

I know I am a recurrent defender of Roberts but is his effort really in question ? For his numerous liabilities in his game, I don't think effort is really one of them.

James Beattie has been offered a three-year deal at Rangers on around £1.2 million-a-year.

That is decent money and a longer deal than he is at with Stoke. He is on about £2 million-a-year there but has one season to run.

Stoke can influence where he is going by giving him a settlement if he chooses one club over another. Interesting factor.

I don't think Rovers will match those terms...so it is up to the player to knock them back.

To be fair to him if he turns that down for the chance of joining Rovers he deserves some credit.

Surprised the manager is saying he isn't getting him. There is still some life in this.

No progress on Roberts. If he has to play tomorrow it will be some do.

Have Rovers actually bid??? Or are we just considering making one.

I wouldn't mind Beattie on £1.2m a year (what's that, £22.5K a week?) but I would baulk at a 3 year deal. One ideally and perhaps even a second but good luck to the guy if he takes the three year deal, financial security and a chance to play Champions League and win titles.

I said it before, its desperation stuff at Ewood right now. You look at a striker like Moa or Huseklepp, and you think yes we are linked with them at they are virtually on the cheap at under 2mill. However, despite the links, we still trying hard for Beattie and Benjani, and supposedly cannot afford a striker under the 2mill mark. What has happened to the money we supposedly had for a new striker? Every season its the same odl story, money that just disappears into thin air.

and anybody who says it goes to cover wages, day to day expenses, to cover the lower season ticket prices etc, must really be crazy to believe all that. Who works with our finances? Surely provisions should have been made for all those things, plus money for a new signing or 2. We cannot go on like this, where every season we sell somebody to cover the day to day expenses. We are certainly on the edge right now, and call me dramatic, but its total BS.

True iceman, think the steward ship of John Williams has to be brought into question now.

The local newspaper in Bergen is quoting that Erik Huseklepp (sunk France with a brace a couple of days ago) will be allowed to leave Brann for £1.5M - http://fotball.bt.no/eliteserien/article176901.ece

Can play anywhere in attack - both flanks and proved last international that he works well as a lone striker. (Played against Mexes as centre back in the beforementioned game against France)

-I personally think he would be an exiciting prospect, and would fit Big Sams policy of having players who can fill several positions.

Huseklepp will not fit our profile as a lone striker. His game is based on getting behind the defenders and will not bring other players into play like a target man would. He is more suited for a 4-4-2 with somebody acting as a foil for him. He's useless in the air as well, so I don't think he fits the profile we are looking at since we already got Diouf as the front striker. We need someone to who can hold the ball.

I think Kalinic will have a great season this year, and preferably play him rather than some donkey like Benjani.

I said it before, its desperation stuff at Ewood right now. You look at a striker like Moa or Huseklepp, and you think yes we are linked with them at they are virtually on the cheap at under 2mill. However, despite the links, we still trying hard for Beattie and Benjani, and supposedly cannot afford a striker under the 2mill mark. What has happened to the money we supposedly had for a new striker? Every season its the same odl story, money that just disappears into thin air.

and anybody who says it goes to cover wages, day to day expenses, to cover the lower season ticket prices etc, must really be crazy to believe all that. Who works with our finances? Surely provisions should have been made for all those things, plus money for a new signing or 2. We cannot go on like this, where every season we sell somebody to cover the day to day expenses. We are certainly on the edge right now, and call me dramatic, but its total BS.

Our INCOME is lower than most Premiership team and we don't have an investor.

Hence we have less money than everyone else. What do you think is happening to it? Do you think we are being robbed?

Eeijit

Woke up to news of Erik Huseklepp.

PLEASE sign him. He's exactly what we need - someone who can play as a lone striker or a winger.

If Kalinic hits some form and we can play Huseklepp on the right wing, I think we'd be a real threat. At 6'2 he should be okay in our system up top as well.

Have Rovers actually bid??? Or are we just considering making one.

Rovers have been in contact with Stoke for months. The valuations were miles apart. But yesterday it became real because the price dropped and the chase was on for real.

There was contact yesterday but there is no doubt Stoke would rather he went to Scotland.

Significantly the Mail story will have come from the agent doing the deal. It is fairly accurate.

At the moment Rangers are in front here. They want to close the deal today.

It really is down to Beattie now to say 'no'...

Where Rovers go from here - after missing this one - is beyond me.

Rovers have been in contact with Stoke for months. The valuations were miles apart. But yesterday it became real because the price dropped and the chase was on for real.

There was contact yesterday but there is no doubt Stoke would rather he went to Scotland.

Significantly the Mail story will have come from the agent doing the deal. It is fairly accurate.

Isn't it obvious? Benjani.

Cheers.

At the end of the day I'd take the concrete offer over the maybe one.

3 years at his age is a serious contract and he will play in the champions league.

Where Rovers go after this one, well you just know it will be Banjoni.

At the end of the day I'd take the concrete offer over the maybe one.

You only make a written offer if you know [a] the club will sell to you and the player is on terms you can afford. The conversations went on at some length yesterday.

As I say, it's down to Beattie now.

I think Beattie will know that we have been chasing him for months and he is a Blackburn lad and fan. so, surely he would sign for us. we can afford his wages, rangers can't. Beattie come and sign for Rovers.

We don't want to be paying him 40k a week though, even if we can afford it.

I wouldnt mind us matching Rangers' offer though.

Archived