BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beattie has been an option for months. Better options have disappeared in recent weeks. The season is upon us. Stoke have a replacement striker in.

I would suggest the real panic sets in if Beattie goes elsewhere.

Looks like its going to be Benjani then if the Beattie move fails.

With our wage budget being maxed out and where pretty much all the money goes, signing 32+ year old players isn't the right model to take at our club. Our strength has always been signing players not older than 29 or 30, getting the best out of them and then selling them for a profit to fund future purchases, cover costs etc. Players with no re-sale fruck up our finances and we inevitably have to sell players to cover the financial hit.

Beattie or Benjani after all the scouting we have done all over the world? How disappointing and smacks of desperation.

There's a lot more to consider at an academy than just progressing players through the ranks.

Everyone on here goes about the trust needed to invest money, no we need to be smarter with the money we have. Sell Zurab and channel his 20K a week into the academy instead, I'm more than sure it would not effect our league position given his non-contribution recently. That money with careful usage could make our academy one of the best in the country.

Its high time this country embraced sports science fully, just as spain, france & holland have and the results are there for all to see.

Ford's paper

Thanks for the link Maj but unfortunately I' can't get it to open. I would be grateful if you could explain what you mean by your opening sentence - I assume it's covered by what's in the link.

With regard to Zurab - it was the club who offered him a long term contract on £20 or £30K a week at a time when he featured in first team plans. You can't blame the player for refusing to uproot his family from Cheshire - where they are happily settled - and move overseas just to suit the present needs of the Rovers. I'm sure if a club in the north west offered him suitable terms he would go. However, in his position and at his age, I think I'd settle for picking up the wages for twelve months and then move next summer and pick up a signing on fee somewhere. The Rovers will clearly try to loan him out to a Championship club once the deadline passes in the hope they can contribute to his wage.

Mismanagement???????? Based on that we're trying to sign James Beattie??

We're trying to sign players who eventually turn out to be too expensive, not wanting to come or demanding high wages. We're also undergoing takeover talks. Can you not understand how difficult this process is? We were spoilt under sparky when he found signings such as McCarthy/Roque etc. Its as if our fans expect these sorts of players to be available for nothing.

Quite simply, we've known since January that we needed another striker - 7 months to work on it, come on.

If you believe the mystery striker lark, that took over 2 weeks.

We've now got to the desperation stakes

It's all a combination of dithering and mismanagement - simple as that.

In recent seasons our scouts have dug up some golden nuggets on the cheap and we've maybe become accustomed to this. I don't think the majority of blame for the lack of transfer activity should be directed at our scouting system for this dismal transfer window, I think the takeover has proved to be a major distraction.

I'm guessing the news that the takeover has taken a big step forward, is governing what Sam can now do.

Four week exclusivity = closed window of opportunity.

I dread to think what names we will be dreaming up in January.

It would be lunacy to do nothing in this window in case a takeover happens in September.

You need someone now - and if you go back into cold storage because of this announcement - then that is one serious mistake.

Thanks for the link Maj but unfortunately I' can't get it to open. I would be grateful if you could explain what you mean by your opening sentence - I assume it's covered by what's in the link.

With regard to Zurab - it was the club who offered him a long term contract on £20 or £30K a week at a time when he featured in first team plans. You can't blame the player for refusing to uproot his family from Cheshire - where they are happily settled - and move overseas just to suit the present needs of the Rovers. I'm sure if a club in the north west offered him suitable terms he would go. However, in his position and at his age, I think I'd settle for picking up the wages for twelve months and then move next summer and pick up a signing on fee somewhere. The Rovers will clearly try to loan him out to a Championship club once the deadline passes in the hope they can contribute to his wage.

I'm not blaming Zurab for taking the position he is, I would as well. But merely pointing out that even a small cut in wages IE say 1 million a year could be diverted to the academy and make a far bigger contribution to the club over time than 1 player ever could.

My bad on the link this one should work and be free, click on the pdf version and enjoy any Q's let me know. My link

The papers about 3 years old now and the model has seriously progressed and has taken many years to develop. Just to put Dr Ford in perspective, just like the majority of all the staff here he has coached and worked at Elite level in the game at one of the supposedly best academies in the country. He's not just a scientist he's also the man the FA have been using to help with their new youth modules.

This window is all about the last week, not just for Rovers but most of the clubs in the Prem.

If I were City, I would loan out my unnumbered stars to mid-ranking Prem clubs so they can play against City's big 4 rivals but not themselves....

It would be lunacy to do nothing in this window in case a takeover happens in September.

You need someone now - and if you go back into cold storage because of this announcement - then that is one serious mistake.

I agree totally but the writing on the wall suggests Sam is not being backed in his quest for a striker.

This window is all about the last week, not just for Rovers but most of the clubs in the Prem.

If I were City, I would loan out my unnumbered stars to mid-ranking Prem clubs so they can play against City's big 4 rivals but not themselves....

So all of the players signed elsewhere WON'T be playing this weekend or the one after or the one after?

In recent seasons our scouts have dug up some golden nuggets on the cheap and we've maybe become accustomed to this. I don't think the majority of blame for the lack of transfer activity should be directed at our scouting system for this dismal transfer window, I think the takeover has proved to be a major distraction.

I thought the majority of those nuggets were Hughes' mates pointing them in his direction?

They want to close the deal today.

It really is down to Beattie now to say 'no'...

Where Rovers go from here - after missing this one - is beyond me.

Remember Dunn being at Bolton, but his heart being at Ewood hoping for a call?? Reminds me of that moment again - if we are serious about him then he will sign for us.

Nicko - How likely is a Rangers move for Roberts if we do sign Beattie?

I don't usually do running commentaries on these things, but...

Beattie is asking for a little bit more than Rangers want to pay him. Stoke will have to give him money to leave.

That is probably a double negative for Rovers as we speak. I don't see you giving him a big three-year deal and I don't see Stoke giving him a sweetener to join you.

Let's hope the deal breaks down and Stoke are stuck with him then. He's exactly the reason we're in this mess - big money to mediocre players. If he's on £38k a week and demanding a 3 year deal, he's hardly a bargain.

Why are people jumping to criticise john Williams because we haven't made a substantial signing yet when it's the job of Sam allardyce and his team's job to scout the players. And they have had 7 months to find a striker. It is not jw's fault that we have no money. Bfs has known the money situation all along and has just shown his tactics in transfer dealings to be non existent. Just wait for something to come up. Hoping is not a viable tactic. Football is big business and he has shown that he has as little idea in the transfer market as he does on the football field... hope something good happens.

[EDIT] And complain when it doesn't

Remember Dunn being at Bolton, but his heart being at Ewood hoping for a call?? Reminds me of that moment again - if we are serious about him then he will sign for us.

Nicko - How likely is a Rangers move for Roberts if we do sign Beattie?

Interesting comparison...

Beattie and Rangers is still very much ongoing.

Manager's quote this morning backs up all written so far.

"We've not agreed a fee with Stoke and although James is on the list at the moment, it is not looking like he will be coming to Blackburn."

It is 13th today.

August 31st is two weeks into the due diligence and the Trust, club and Syed's people will be living together for the next two weeks.

Now nobody should get their hopes up but I would be surprised if the current window doesn't get a mention round the water cooler.

Let's hope the deal breaks down and Stoke are stuck with him then. He's exactly the reason we're in this mess - big money to mediocre players. If he's on £38k a week and demanding a 3 year deal, he's hardly a bargain.

I read it as he has been offered 24k pw and Rangers offered him a 3 year deal, we don't know for fact what we have offered or intend offering.

So all of the players signed elsewhere WON'T be playing this weekend or the one after or the one after?

All 17 of them since 1 July at the last count....

My hunch is that perhaps 50% of the inbound transfers to Prem clubs this window have currently happened. Certainly you guys in the press must be hoping that to be the case- there is certainly a lot more than 17 senior pros in total at all the Prem clubs who are sure not to receive squad places.

What you mean is the Stoke City manager wasnt impressed by Beatties application and performances on the pitch.

Theres a clear message here Hughesy .. Beattie aint good enough!

If so....answer why you think Nicko feels this way about Pulis?

Pulis would prefer him to go as far away as possible.

Wrong to accuse Roberts of a lack of effort.

For his numerous liabilities in his game, I don't think effort is really one of them.

Ok more a frustration with his effort, he gets bundled off the ball - he just stops & throws his arms in the air & moans at the ref (never wins a foul) - Beattie however is a terrier type he gets wound up, goes back in, sticks a strong challenge in & gets the crowd going....Thats the difference.

Roberst also has the nack of scoring in a game, moaning afterwards to the tv cameras about never playing, getting to start the next game and then playing worse then when he coems from the bench.

Hes just like Benni bad influence who we need out of the squad.

Archived