BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I apologise if this has already been covered-I'm still only on Page 350-but I guess everyone will be disappointed with the news I have just heard on Radio Lancs: Beattie has signed for Glasgow Rangers.

hahaha, are you kidding?

Have you taken a look at the current strike force?

Do you want to pose that question again?

I'm afraid that you have read another of my posts and based your reply on what you think I mean as opposed to the literal meaning.

I never said that we shouldn't add to the strikeforce. I said that there is little point at looking at players in the four or five million pounds bracket when there are funds on the way, players like Beattie would see us through to January.

• Backroom

With the takeover now looking very likely, does the notion of 'get us through to January' not apply to this situation?

Why would we be looking at players worth 4 / 5 million now when investment is on the way? I wouldn't be likely to free up that cash if I were in the Trustees position.

Out of interest what price range do you expect us to be looking in if the takeover does go through?

Nothing has been mentioned in terms of money for signings has it?

For me the ideal man for now is Jo on loan with a view to buy if possible.

See us through to Jan and could work out a winner

I never said that we shouldn't add to the strikeforce. I said that there is little point at looking at players in the four or five million pounds bracket when there are funds on the way, players like Beattie would see us through to January.

I agree with this 100%.

This would be a huge problem IF the news had not hit this morning of the takeover looking like its going to go through.

We may have a lack of firepower atm but I would not swap our squad for any of those that finished below us last season or the teams promoted.

I apologise if this has already been covered-I'm still only on Page 350-but I guess everyone will be disappointed with the news I have just heard on Radio Lancs: Beattie has signed for Glasgow Rangers.

Actually, I'm elated by the non-signing of Beattie. I now look forward to the non-signings of Heskey, Benjani, and this new Norweigan fella with the poor goals record in a poor league.

Roll on takeover I guess. I just hope they don't actually think they're going to make a profit, or we're pretty doomed.

"For me the ideal man for now is Jo on loan with a view to buy if possible.

See us through to Jan and could work out a winner "

Agree completely.

Out of interest what price range do you expect us to be looking in if the takeover does go through?

Nothing has been mentioned in terms of money for signings has it?

True. My point is, we have no idea what is going to be available or how much we are going to have in January. My point is, why panic buy or pay over the odds for a player now that might easily become surplus to requirements in January. I do not think for one second that we are going to be throwing twenty million pound bids about, but I think that the takeover means we have to be careful now.

Also I don't understand why the Trustees would now still go ahead with letting Sam have four million. Imagine you owned a car hire company, you cannot wait to get shut of it. It was your Father's business and you got landed with it. A wealthy businessman makes you an offer for it. Would you pay for all your cars to have a set of new tyres before the takeover went through?

Too sensible a position for the majority on here to take.

I would be happy with Benjani. I have already reconciled this with myself

Not that sensible really.

I'd like to think I've remained pretty calm through this, and would've been perfectly happy with signing Beattie. However, Benjani, a player with half a knee trying to negotiate as much as he can out of Rovers when he's hardly worth anything to us injured is definitely a waste of money. Especially if this takeover proves too good to be true.

He was never that good a striker and now he's knackered.

Hopefully we'll have at least one half decent player signed before the window shuts.

Roberts (who we've told to bugger off and may well do so), Kalinic, Diouf and Rigters isn't good enough, all it takes is a couple of injuries here and there and we're in trouble by Christmas.

No new striker for tomorrow? - so what! Benjani / Beattie aren't the answer! If we can pick up someone half decent, not a mercenary and for the good of Rovers before Sept 1st then great. If not, over to Diouf (not El Hadj) and Niko until January when we can hopefully strengthen properly.

C'mon you blues!

My guess now is that we wont buy anybody this window , a short term offer for benjani or a last minute loan from a club with too many players maybe , the club will soon roll out the "we'll go with what we've got" line followed in sept/oct about how we were close to signing our main target , followed by frantically bidding for strikers and paying over the odds in january when the takeover is complete, i just hope we dont get any serious injuries and the younger players build on last season and progress

Also I don't understand why the Trustees would now still go ahead with letting Sam have four million. Imagine you owned a car hire company, you cannot wait to get shut of it. It was your Father's business and you got landed with it. A wealthy businessman makes you an offer for it. Would you pay for all your cars to have a set of new tyres before the takeover went through?

I actually think I would. Especially if you consider that the deal with the wealthy business man could lead to nothing and all my cars then had a flat tyre. That´s an expensive gamble to make IMO. I would be screwed if I would just presume the deal would go through and head into the renting season with old, crappy tyres on my cars.

True. My point is, we have no idea what is going to be available or how much we are going to have in January. My point is, why panic buy or pay over the odds for a player now that might easily become surplus to requirements in January. I do not think for one second that we are going to be throwing twenty million pound bids about, but I think that the takeover means we have to be careful now.

I think there's alot of people expecting an Abramovich style spending spree, this certainly isn't realistic. I think the case will be us being able to buy players in the 4-6m catagory comfortably.....By that i mean we wont have to get rid of players to fund the deal or having to "dip in" to next years budget.

I suppose only the future will tell!

Oh ye almost forgot, Theres a game tomorrow. My Guess? 1-1 with a 4-6-0 formation! :D

Because he's 32. It's a 4.6m loss over 3 years.

Terrible

I hope you and Nicko are both making the point that it was too much money for what he is- that I agree with totally. But if our £2.5 mill (or slightly higher Nicko said at one point) transfer budget was always supposed to include the bloody wages of any new player too, it's disgusting. And additionally stupid that we've been chasing players in the £4 million plus category that would need decentt wages too. I mean, surely we always budgeted that we might have to pay at least £30k p/w for our main man. If it's just a new reflection on the due diligence, again, fair enough.

On the other hand, if your lack of maintenance of the fleet meant that your cars then broke down or worse perhaps even caused someone's death then you'd recognise that to not invest at this time in necessary upkeep would actually threaten the long term health of your business.

It's a bit of a cleft stick, but any new owner would view a decent acquisition at this point as an 'asset' to the club, not a liability. Likewise it isn't really in the trust's interest to risk the viability of the club as a going concern in the Premiership, which a lack of investment at this stage quite clearly implies.

And anyway, the club is being sold as a going concern, and as such, it is not usual for business operations to cease whilst due diligence takes place.

At this point I will find a darkened room and lie down.

No 11 o'clocker tonight. No point.

All is well.

Business as usual, surely Alan? ;)

Thanks for all the effort.

Wonder when the LET are going to unveil Benjani as the mystery striker...?

Pretty good day for us in the transfer market so far, no Teymourian (seemingly) and no Beattie.

All we need now is to fire Benjani back off where he belongs and look at some names who can actually do a job at Premiership level.

On a side note: it's no wonder Rangers are in as much trouble as they reportedly are: offering Beattie a 3 year deal at his age is absolutely insane - he'll be 36 before the deal expires!!!

Best of luck with that

If your on Twitter have a watch, The latest :-

ME>>>>>>>>>>>>>@PaulPlunkettLT Thats another "Rovers not after him" post...Any "this is who Rovers ARE after" posts? The LT seem very distant from the club

PAUL>>>>>>>>>@Glenking2000 That's because there is no one close to signing Glen

ME>>>>>>>>>> @PaulPlunkettLT It was only last week we were making an "improved bid" for a player. Then nothing else was said after that!

It's NOT ROVERS, 67. It's the gaffers' MO. check back during his time at the block and count all the players aged 29+ that he brought in--- with plenty of success mind you. It's not something I advocate on a full time basis because the sell on numbers are important, but experience help win championships.

Consider this: if you plopped the Brasil U-20s in the Prem. they'd barely eek out a midtable finish. Hell, that 's a ridiculous scenario, but i'm sticking w/ it! :blush:

Agreed, my point was more tongue in cheek as Beattie not fit to lace the boots of the other two.

Before any one blasts me I know 70k+ a week for the others.

If the takeover is about to go through I would say that changes our outlook slightly.

We don't want to go completely mad now if we can attract a better player in January or next summer but at the same time there is still no point chucking money away on a player that's definitely past it like Beattie or Benjani.

I would say if we could keep what we have now (i.e. Roberts) getting Vaughan on a short term deal looks more attractive.

There's a 10-15% chance he might be absolutely superb, however if as expected injuries get the better of him we would then be in a position to look elsewhere.

Pretty good day for us in the transfer market so far, no Teymourian (seemingly) and no Beattie.

All we need now is to fire Benjani back off where he belongs and look at some names who can actually do a job at Premiership level.

On a side note: it's no wonder Rangers are in as much trouble as they reportedly are: offering Beattie a 3 year deal at his age is absolutely insane - he'll be 36 before the deal expires!!!

I get the impression from Nickos last post in reply to the poster "all is well" that Benjani is no more, at least I hope so.

If the takeover is about to go through I would say that changes our outlook slightly.

We don't want to go completely mad now if we can attract a better player in January or next summer but at the same time there is still no point chucking money away on a player that's definitely past it like Beattie or Benjani.

I would say if we could keep what we have now (i.e. Roberts) getting Vaughan on a short term deal looks more attractive.

There's a 10-15% chance he might be absolutely superb, however if as expected injuries get the better of him we would then be in a position to look elsewhere.

Not to mention around 200k off the wage bill next summer, if not before.

Oh! wait a minute, does that matter now. :rolleyes:

Archived