BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nicko assuming that Pentecote is back on then where does that leave Sam regarding an experienced striker (which he has said for a while he needs with Roberts hopefully going)?

I assume this would be the same issue if we signed Perea or Moa. Does that bring Benjani back into play as a 4th/experienced striker on a pay as you play?

Nicko assuming that Pentecote is back on then where does that leave Sam regarding an experienced striker (which he has said for a while he needs with Roberts hopefully going)?

I assume this would be the same issue if we signed Perea or Moa. Does that bring Benjani back into play as a 4th/experienced striker on a pay as you play?

I think the whole striker issue is a moveable feast. [And that isn't talking about Benni].

There's no doubt you could do with an older head among the four options.

But really it's a case of seeing what you can get, who you can afford...and who's fit.

Got to say I am puzzled by the treatment of Roberts. To leave him without a squad number is not the best way to get a fee for him.

I think the whole striker issue is a moveable feast. [And that isn't talking about Benni].

There's no doubt you could do with an older head among the four options.

But really it's a case of seeing what you can get, who you can afford...and who's fit.

Got to say I am puzzled by the treatment of Roberts. To leave him without a squad number is not the best way to get a fee for him.

It's clear Roberts hasn't got a future at Ewood so why waste time and resources registering him for the new season? If it was a player worth a quid or two maybe, but We'd be lucky to get £1m for the useless oik. We are as well keeping squad numbers free for incoming players to choose from.

But it shows everyone out there that he isnt wanted at all. It brings his price down. If Bellamy had been included in the 25 man squad and been wanted at City do you think he would have been talked about in the 2m price band, or even free?

Sam with Roberts, clubs now know for sure that we really don't want him. They'll be pushing to get him for free.

But it shows everyone out there that he isnt wanted at all. It brings his price down. If Bellamy had been included in the 25 man squad and been wanted at City do you think he would have been talked about in the 2m price band, or even free?

Sam with Roberts, clubs now know for sure that we really don't want him. They'll be pushing to get him for free.

Ricky, Roberts was never an asset. It is more of a case of us pushing him onto somebody rather than playing mind games, he's not exactly hot property. I would whole heartedly agree if we were talking about Samba or Jonesy but there is not much of a market for Roberts. I'm happy with no squad number for him as that means he'll not be making any appearances!

The price band that Roberts is in must be £500-£700k tops. I'd snap somebodies hands off at £500k. I know exactly where you are coming from but a squad number wouldn't have got any more cash for him than what little cash he's worth. Losing Roberts on a free wouldn't be much of a loss.

Ricky, Roberts was never an asset. It is more of a case of us pushing him onto somebody rather than playing mind games, he's not exactly hot property. I would whole heartedly agree if we were talking about Samba or Jonesy but there is not much of a market for Roberts. I'm happy with no squad number for him as that means he'll not be making any appearances!

The price band that Roberts is in must be £500-£700k tops. I'd snap somebodies hands off at £500k. I know exactly where you are coming from but a squad number wouldn't have got any more cash for him than what little cash he's worth. Losing Roberts on a free wouldn't be much of a loss.

Agree, because I'd prefer to sell him now for 500K than 1m in January, as he's cost us around 700K in the 6 month period anyway (assuming he's on 30K per week).

It's clear Roberts hasn't got a future at Ewood so why waste time and resources registering him for the new season? If it was a player worth a quid or two maybe, but We'd be lucky to get £1m for the useless oik. We are as well keeping squad numbers free for incoming players to choose from.

When every penny counts you can't be making it obvious a player is worthless to you.

Odd.

Not a fair way to talk about a very good man and honest player who, whilst having some horrendous misses for us, has also scored some important goals for us over the years.

When every penny counts you can't be making it obvious a player is worthless to you.

Odd.

A quick sale is needed so we need to assist his departure all we can. He's not a key member of the squad and is relatively worthless so its no big deal.

Sam will certainly have one or two irons in the fire, Roberts leaving sooner rather than later freeing up wages could be all we need to make a signing happen, be it Banjoni or whoever it's got to be an improvement on Roberts.

A quick sale is needed so we need to assist his departure all we can. He's not a key member of the squad and is relatively worthless so its no big deal.

Sam will certainly have one or two irons in the fire, Roberts leaving sooner rather than later freeing up wages could be all we need to make a signing happen, be it Banjoni or whoever it's got to be an improvement on Roberts.

Rovers were looking for over £1 million for him not so long ago...with the current budget that is a bit more than 'relatively worthless.'

Nicko do you feel this pentecote deal will go through then if it aint as bad as first feared.

If so what price bracket are we looking at?

The good news he is not seriously injured...the bad news is that Rovers have been to see him twice and he has been on the pitch for 30 minutes.

I don't know when he will play next, but you would want to see him in a full 90 before deciding.

So he is still in the frame, but probably no more than that.

Agreed, Nicko. Poor man-management by Sam. We probably won't sell Roberts now, and will be left with an unwanted, unhappy player until January. He should at least have been given a squad number.

Rovers were looking for over £1 million for him not so long ago...with the current budget that is a bit more than 'relatively worthless.'

What we were looking for and what we'd actually get are two completely different things. Rumour had it he was on his way to WBA for £1m, but nothing materialised.

I cant believe we are debating this. As a Rovers fan I don't have an issue that he's not in the squad and the sooner he's off the wage bill the better, you and along with others think it would have been for the best if he was given a squad number. We'll leave it at that as it's getting boring. :tu:

There are going to be far better players than Roberts looking for homes in the next two weeks.

Rovers have tried to sell for value all summer and have failed.

The club are doing the most decent thing by both Zura and JRob by leaving them out of the squad to concentrate on getting new employment and not playing make believe other clubs are undoubtedly going through with their players.

Not a fair way to talk about a very good man and honest player who, whilst having some horrendous misses for us, has also scored some important goals for us over the years.

Agreed - I think Jason's commitment and contribution during his time at Ewood have been massively underated. Although I can still see the look on our supporters' faces when he missed "that" open goal at Sunderland....

With the squad now limited to 25 players over the age of 21 you can't afford to give squad numbers out willy nilly, otherwise Rovers would be unable to register a player.

Also, if Roberts was given a number he might well have decided to stick around in the hope that he may get a few games and impress and therefore be looking for a nice pay day to move. Now he needs to get a move to get football and try to prolong his carear and may well move for less of a wage than he was willing to previously.

The market is still really yet to get going so I believe there will be lots more business done in the next two weeks and hopefully Rovers will come out of that having shifted 1 or 2 and added a bit more quality for little outlay.

There are clubs in a much worse position than us in this league, Sunderland signed Titus Bramble as a first choice centre half FFS! He would be below Zurab in the pecking order in our squad.

I don't believe major signings are required to maintain ourposition due to other squads weakening and struggling to improve themselves at this point in time. One or two quality additions, plus the extra experience our younger players like Nzonzi, Jones, Olsson, Kalinic and Hoilett are gaining can only stand us in good stead in my opinion.

We don't need a few journey men coming in and spoiling the atmosphere just for the sake of adding to the squad.

I have faith in Big Sam and his team to make the right decisions as they did year after year at Bolton in similar circumstances.

Roberts is a valuable player to us right now - there I said it. Unless we sign a new striker in the next two weeks, and judging by our progress I wouldn't bank on it, we only have Kalinic & M. Diouf as recognised strikers. Roberts always puts in shift and is a handy option from the bench when the opposition are slowing down. If Sam doesn't shift him, he'll just be taking up space and wages, because he's clearly been ostracised by the manager.

I expect some fans on here are getting bleary-eyed because they're expecting a late move for Torres, as per the takeover. ;)

Archived