BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

Ricky

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a great post and I believe John Williams should explain his shift in stance.

Maybe Sam decided, to sort his squad of 25, it would be worth getting rid of dead wood, which Jacobsen/Righters/Zurab are.

Players prices are expensive at the moment, so if Sam didn't find the deal, then fair do's. Why do people seem to think we should waste money on players, if the manager doesn't think they're right.

Maybe Sam decided, to sort his squad of 25, it would be worth getting rid of dead wood, which Jacobsen/Righters/Zurab are.

Players prices are expensive at the moment, so if Sam didn't find the deal, then fair do's. Why do people seem to think we should waste money on players, if the manager doesn't think they're right.

Do you think that the manager couldn't find players to improve our squad armed with circa 3 million? Because it's a damning indictment of his managerial skills if you think not. You've also got to bear in mind he's had nigh on 5 months to sort some kind of deal out.

I prefer to believe that the goalposts have moved and I think we should know why - we can all surmise as much as we want but until JW answers the questions that imy raised in his post we'll never know.

Ah well, not a biggie, we get rid of his wages. He wasn't going to feature alot for us anyway. This window was just manouvering for moves in Jan, if we need it, as we have reduced a fair chunk of wages off the bill today. We're very strong in defence anyway, what with Nelsen, Samba, Jones, Givet, Hanley, Salgado, Chimbonda, Ollson and even Emerton if we needed to.

Do you think that the manager couldn't find players to improve our squad armed with circa 3 million? Because it's a damning indictment of his managerial skills if you think not. You've also got to bear in mind he's had nigh on 5 months to sort some kind of deal out.

I prefer to believe that the goalposts have moved and I think we should know why - we can all surmise as much as we want but until JW answers the questions that imy raised in his post we'll never know.

Not really. You can't always pluck a cheap player that will do well. Look at the deals done today, and see who we could get for £3m. Franco Di Santo - £3m. Tommy Smith - £1.5m. These are poor players going for what would be a good deal of our budget. The posts may have moved, but JW has done an awesome job of keeping us going, and at keeping the ticket prices low (which impacts on what we can spend).

I thought it was pretty obvious that we weren't going to do too much in the market as our wage bill is a large percentage of our turnover, which means, even if we could sign a player, we wouldn't be able to fit him into the wage structure and be sustainable.

Now we have shifted some wages out of the way, we have room to manoeuvre in January, even if the takeover falls through.

The way some people seem angry at what we haven't done, and list clubs who have rich backers and cite them as what we should be doing are ridiculous.

I personally don't think we should be questioning JW on how he runs the club, as we have been kept afloat with small attendances and some of the cheapest tickets in the country, and we should be grateful for that.

You are probably right.

As for John Williams, I doubt he has much to do with the actual decision-making. It seems to me that the Trust has given up on us and Williams is, after all, just their employee. They are desperate to sell and won't put another penny in in the expectation Rovers will soon be off their hands. If there is any blame I suspect that is where it lies. Let's hope the takeover does go through and not too much damage is done in the meantime.

So we got salgado in to attract players and offer experiance to the new young players we can attract with his wealth of his experiance and galactico name, but to pay for his fantastic services we cant afford to bring in anybody which infact makes him just a slow old right back that is ok but nothing special.

Well that makes sense to me :rock:

It's not that our squad is worse (Diouf is already better than Di Santo), but when even clubs below us are buying world superstars, it gets harder to compete. Before this transfer window Sunderland were one club I was confident about us beating, now not so much.

Mame Diouf and Kalinic injured at the same time and we truly will be stuffed.

We have 4 strikers, M. Diuof, Kalinic, Roberts and Benjani. We have 2 players who, per Sam, can sub as strikers, Samba and MGP. We have to players who have played as strikers, EHD and Hoilett.

If M. Diouf and Kalinic both get injured it will be dark days. But Sam is pretty decent at improvisation and we'll be ok.

You are probably right.

As for John Williams, I doubt he has much to do with the actual decision-making. It seems to me that the Trust has given up on us and Williams is, after all, just their employee. They are desperate to sell and won't put another penny in in the expectation Rovers will soon be off their hands. If there is any blame I suspect that is where it lies. Let's hope the takeover does go through and not too much damage is done in the meantime.

Too true 47. We wouldn't survive many more windows under the Trust. Personally, I didn't want or expect stellar signings now or in the future under new ownership but the wanton neglect demonstrated over this window in particular demonstrates that Rovers are well shut of the Trust so unworthy of carrying Jack Walker's name.

,they will soon be free to splurge billions on under performing, regional airlines.

Good riddance (please)

...........but the wanton neglect demonstrated over this window in particular demonstrates that Rovers are well shut of the Trust so unworthy of carrying Jack Walker's name.

,they will soon be free to splurge billions on under performing, regional airlines.

Good riddance (please)

Just logged on and read this and all I can say it that thats proper babyhouse behaviour. Your mother obviously spoilt you as a child. I'd imagine there are many such posts on previous pages.

Just as an aside deryck.... How much money have you spent on BRFC this season? Alternatively if I told you to that 20,000 supporters were having a whip around to provide 10m for one new player and his wages for 3 years (Popov) and that everybody had to chuck in £500 each..... then would you?

The history books will show that for 20 years one Blackburn family has carried this tiny town club forward and against all previous trends by initially sponsoring and latterly subsidising Premier league football a modern ground and top level training facilities as well you know. If it's been decided that enoughs enough in what is now a crazy and suicidal business which only dodgy or dirty foreign money can support, and that they cannot or do not want to continue then the party's over and it's time for everyone to move on then so bloody what? The plain fact is that nowadays billionaires have replaced mere millionaires.

This clubs been for sale for ages. Having to put up and provide for jumped up footballers along with their odious and unscrupulous agents most head to toe in bling must be like having a millstone made of compressed sewage sludge permanently fixed around ones neck.

I think we can safely paraphrase Alan Sugar's decade old assessment that only an 'idiot with a death wish' would put money into Premier league football. I can only think of the Glazers who have made real money out of INVESTING :rolleyes: in a Prem club and thats only been possible by loading that club with a billion pounds worth of debt. Is that the type of owner and future of the club that you want?

Its a very good point you make Gordon, but you know, i know and everybody else knows, that the trust want out. We thank them, for doing a great job in maintaining the club for such a long time. Times have changed, most clubs have moved on with the changes. We are still stuck in the past and are being left behind at a rapid pace. We have done well with limited funds, but how long can we go on like this?

I'm not very happy about the summer transfer activity, the outgoings are fine and we've not lost anyone who would be in our first 11. I just feel that we are very weak up front.

So what happens with Roberts now? Does he get a squad number or does he go out on loan to a championship team.

I'm not sure about sunderlands signings. Gyan's goal record isn't great and £13m seems a hell of a lot for him.

Stoke however have added some real quality to their squad.

Just logged on and read this and all I can say it that thats proper babyhouse behaviour. Your mother obviously spoilt you as a child. I'd imagine there are many such posts on previous pages.

Just as an aside deryck.... How much money have you spent on BRFC this season? Alternatively if I told you to that 20,000 supporters were having a whip around to provide 10m for one new player and his wages for 3 years (Popov) and that everybody had to chuck in £500 each..... then would you?

The history books will show that for 20 years one Blackburn family has carried this tiny town club forward and against all previous trends by initially sponsoring and latterly subsidising Premier league football a modern ground and top level training facilities as well you know. If it's been decided that enoughs enough in what is now a crazy and suicidal business which only dodgy or dirty foreign money can support, and that they cannot or do not want to continue then the party's over and it's time for everyone to move on then so bloody what? The plain fact is that nowadays billionaires have replaced mere millionaires.

This clubs been for sale for ages. Having to put up and provide for jumped up footballers along with their odious and unscrupulous agents most head to toe in bling must be like having a millstone made of compressed sewage sludge permanently fixed around ones neck.

I think we can safely paraphrase Alan Sugar's decade old assessment that only an 'idiot with a death wish' would put money into Premier league football. I can only think of the Glazers who have made real money out of INVESTING :rolleyes: in a Prem club and thats only been possible by loading that club with a billion pounds worth of debt. Is that the type of owner and future of the club that you want?

You make personal comments (yet again) which nulify anything sensible you might have said in the rest of the post. You make comments about my upbringing and parents and in the same breath call me a baby.

Sadly ignore dosn't work because people like me have a habit of quoting you in reply.

As an aside I love this board (Mrs hates it) and I really appreciate the job the mods do but I really wish someone would get a grip on this bloke and his nemesis who is another one who should know better but dosn't.

the one slightly good thing is how far our old "superstars" have fallen. Talking about Santa Cruz and David Bentley. They came to Rovers and pretty much made their careers here, frakked off at the first opportunity (to rousing approval by a lot of people here with the usual "Rovers are just a stepping stone" tripe), and now where are they? Stone-cold reserves at their clubs, and neither could even get a loan move sorted out this transfer window. But will they care? They're getting their fat checks for doing nothing, so why should they bother with actually playing football?

Santa Cruz and David Bentley are pretty much the poster boys for everything that is wrong with football today.

Its a very good point you make Gordon, but you know, i know and everybody else knows, that the trust want out. We thank them, for doing a great job in maintaining the club for such a long time. Times have changed, most clubs have moved on with the changes. We are still stuck in the past and are being left behind at a rapid pace. We have done well with limited funds, but how long can we go on like this?

It's quite obvious deryck doesn't thank them one bit.

Your last couple of sentences are an exercise in hand wringing iceman. Times have changed but I don't think many clubs have moved on at all. I do however see many more moving backwards. As far as funding? I don't know how long we can go on like this but I do know one thing, I would have to be as rich as Croesus ten times over before I'd invest more than a season ticket in a Prem League club.

This is a great post and I believe John Williams should explain his shift in stance.

But he has not shifted his stance. Rovers have given contracts to Jones (5 years, I believe) that has to be accounted for. rovers have taken on loan Diouf and signed Benjani on a pay as you play deal, again they need to be accounted for. Players have left on loan, that is trading. Do people on here think trading is just players coming in. The wage bill is too high and is damaging the club. Rovers do have a good squad of young players. I do believe that the two Rovers have brought in, will make a good difference to the team. Diouf is young and inexperienced in someways, but the potential is there - he has already done better than di santo, who wigan paid 3 million for. Benjani, like el hadj, is one of those players teams hate playing against. I don't know if he is the answer to the scoring, but he will provide enough assists.

Do Rovers have a 25 man squad, yes. So why go out and buy players to sit in the reserves or not play at all.

It's quite obvious deryck doesn't thank them one bit.

Your last couple of sentences are an exercise in hand wringing iceman. Times have changed but I don't think many clubs have moved on at all. I do however see many more moving backwards. As far as funding? I don't know how long we can go on like this but I do know one thing, I would have to be as rich as Croesus ten times over before I'd invest more than a season ticket in a Prem League club.

I have believed for awhile that the game cannot sustain itself the way it is now. Take WHU as an example, new owners came in and said they were shocked to know that the club owed over 100 milion. But what have they done since, have they reduced the debt - no. Instead they have increased the debt. Fulham are also mega millions in debt. Rovers have a 20 million debt and cannot afford to increase that, neither would I want them to do so.

But he has not shifted his stance. Rovers have given contracts to Jones (5 years, I believe) that has to be accounted for. rovers have taken on loan Diouf and signed Benjani on a pay as you play deal, again they need to be accounted for. Players have left on loan, that is trading. Do people on here think trading is just players coming in. The wage bill is too high and is damaging the club. Rovers do have a good squad of young players. I do believe that the two Rovers have brought in, will make a good difference to the team. Diouf is young and inexperienced in someways, but the potential is there - he has already done better than di santo, who wigan paid 3 million for. Benjani, like el hadj, is one of those players teams hate playing against. I don't know if he is the answer to the scoring, but he will provide enough assists.

Do Rovers have a 25 man squad, yes. So why go out and buy players to sit in the reserves or not play at all.

And they've also offloaded several players that would account for Diouf and Benjani's wages (if we're paying anything for Diouf).

Blame should go out to several, though. Williams for insisting on a fee for Roberts, therefore not being able to get rid of him. Sam and the scouts for knowing the budget for months and not finding players to fit in it (I'm not buying the theory that the budget changed - where is the evidence that he was unable to get approval of a player to fit the budget) - bad luck on the Bulgarian's permit, though. I'd also say, slightly, that some blame should go to the trustees. I've worked for a company that has been sold, and understand not wanting to spend any money on improvements once the sale has hit the stage of dd, but my company wouldn't get weakened by a couple months of inactivity the way the club might be.

The only silver lining to this whole thing is that there are more than 3 clubs worse than us. Either way, we go out of this window with one of the top 7 or so defenses in the league.

skysports have just said Popovs work permit turned down, so the transfer will not be ratified today by the FA - surely if this is the case we could appeal to the Home Office and still push through if the paperwork waS SUBMITTED IN TIME ?

Archived