BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

Ricky

POPOV - got to say it's significant that he hasn't played today...Litex Lovech think they have a deal...by the way that story was broken by the Bulgarians as you would expect when their skipper and star man comes to Blackburn and thunks he has a move...

ROBERTS - Rovers want £1 million and he is on £33,000-a-week basic...ludicrous.

QUIET WINDOW - not really the case elsewhere, but the worst in Rovers memory...one loan signing...Diouf, which I should point out was a story broken by Sir Alex Ferguson...Teymourian came and went as did many others...the 'business as usual' period a while back seriously damaged your chances here...you will sign a striker and a midfielder before the window shuts but nobody could say for sure who that would be mainly because the club has no clear idea itself...Benjani is not just a 'last dance at the disco' job more a 'desperate grab at the taxi rank' case as he could sign AFTER the window shuts because he is a free...just checked his arrival was first revealed in an 11 o'clocker on May 21...must be slipping...

ADEBAYOR - will be playing beside David Beckham.

Nicko you say with real certainty that we WILL sign a striker AND a midfield player before the window, is that based on the fact that we are watching both sets of players or the fact that we desperately need both! Would we class the bulgarian as a midfield player?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is worth pointing out you have to be in your country of origin to receive your work permit.

The source that gave me the drug tip off isn't so sure now so I apologize for posting my concurrence with that rumour when it appeared on here.

Now that is an interesting point...you would have to have a clear space left...although I wonder if this whole 25-man squad thing is legally enforceable when it comes to it.

The reason 'free agents' can join clubs outside windows is because they cannpt be denied the right to work.

And yet a 25-man squad does deny people the right to work.

You may just have created a monster with that.

Haven't they had this "rule" in spain for a while? They can still work IE train and the such they just can't play. It will be interesting to see what happens with some players after the window shuts.

I wish it was that easy. He is owed around £1.2m in wages for the last nine months of his deal. How much of that will he want before he goes...don't blame him either.

Thats no issue, Roberts owes rovers at least £3,000,000 in lost place money for all his "sitter misses" over the years.

Out of curiosity though what will happen if we can't shift him? Will Sam make him part of the squad or will he rot in the ressies?

Haven't they had this "rule" in spain for a while? They can still work IE train and the such they just can't play. It will be interesting to see what happens with some players after the window shuts.

See, that's okay for players who have a contract. It's the ones who have been released where there will be a problem.

The fact that you can't pick up free agents who didn't become free during a transfer window could be at odds with the 25-man squad rule.

Cue a legal challenge of Bosman proportions...

There seems to be a large number of posters who are keen for this Popov deal to go through. I don't know anything about the man. Just wondered why the consensus is so positive? Can someone enlighten me to the sort of player he is? Apologies if it has been discussed pages back, but this thread has been a difficult read over the last few days and i haven't got the will to trawl back through it all.

I wish it was that easy. He is owed around £1.2m in wages for the last nine months of his deal. How much of that will he want before he goes...don't blame him either.

I presume you mean he has 9 months left on his deal, which he wouldn't be working because he would leave the club and be paid by a new employer.

Why is he entitled to a penny? If that is the case when Bentley, Warnock, Santa Cruz, etc break their contract and leave for "bigger" things they should give us a lump sum, on top of the transfer fee, that they would have earned until the end of the contract.

Roberts on 33K?

Whilst I'm sure we all think thats about 30k to much, he’s a seasoned premiership striker and has been plying his trade in this league for a while now. Untried new boys are earning 20k a week in this league, so I’m not shocked by his wages to be honest.

That said he needs shipping out, no easy task I’d wager.

I presume you mean he has 9 months left on his deal, which he wouldn't be working because he would leave the club and be paid by a new employer.

Why is he entitled to a penny? If that is the case when Bentley, Warnock, Santa Cruz, etc break their contract and leave for "bigger" things they should give us a lump sum, on top of the transfer fee, that they would have earned until the end of the contract.

Difference there is that Bentley. Warnock and Santa Cruz demanded transfers to 'bigger clubs'. Players who request a transfer lose their right to a pay off from their club, whereas as far as I am aware (and i may be very wrong as I have heard him speaking about wanting to leave in the past but without a formal transfer request) Jason Roberts hasn't demanded a transfer and it is us who have been shopping him around to any prospective takers.

Remember at the time of us signing Roberts, there were quite a few Premier League clubs interested in signing him (think the number was 7 or 8).

Indeed, but wasn't his contract then improved under Ince when he would at best have been 3rd choice?

Not a great Greening fan, however, we are short on numbers there with ever absent Grella, half a season Dunny and the mystery Irishman (Keef) - where the hell was he yesterday, not even on bench.

I'd have liked Greening 5 years or so ago. Another Sav type.

Said it last summer & today just confirmed what I was saying....When Newcastle wanted shut of Barton we should have snapped their hands off!

How good was Carrol today too - wasnt he linked with us just after his bust up?

I've stated when they were relegated that I'd have moved for both of them. I think Bartons ludicrouys wages ruled him out for us though.

Mick Jones was five times the player Heskey is, tougher and worked harder, one of the most underated players in British football.

Fantastic team Leeds had in those days. Too much loyalty by Revie and lunatic events under Clough sent em into decline.

Sam has hinted in today’s LT that if another striker is going to come in it will be someone from abroad as he can't find anyone suitable here. And that if someone does come in that fans shouldn't expect the player to make an immediate impact (may take until christmas to get him up to speed)

Is it likely this is Popov he is talking about?

Big Sam: No quick fix for striker problem

Guys, I've made this point before and think it's a weakness with JW - negotiations seem one sided in the players' favour. Just like Andrews, Grella etc, we VASTLY overpay 3rd raters and that's why we can't shift them.

Half the other prem clubs do the same.

Another reason for offering short term rolling contracts rather than long term ones.

Short term contracts again. Why sign a contract with anybody when you are the only party actually bound by it?

Because it offers the club a bit of security and protection if bigger clubs come in for a player (not really a threat of that happening with Roberts) and in this era of player power we would probably miss out on a lot of players if we only offered short-term contracts. You do also have to remember that an injury could end a players career at any moment and that it does make sense for them to seek some sort of career security as well, even if they are earning large sums of money.

Because it offers the club a bit of security and protection if bigger clubs come in for a player (not really a threat of that happening with Roberts) and in this era of player power we would probably miss out on a lot of players if we only offered short-term contracts. You do also have to remember that an injury could end a players career at any moment and that it does make sense for them to seek some sort of career security as well, even if they are earning large sums of money.

I know all that but it's being abused massively. Clubs and their supporters lose out 99% of the time to spoilt brat behaviour. I understand more and more players are taking the money whilst faking as many injuries as possible to prevent themselves getting injured. The tail is wagging the dog so something has to change.

I know all that but it's being abused massively. Clubs and their supporters lose out 99% of the time to spoilt brat behaviour. I understand more and more players are taking the money whilst faking as many injuries as possible to prevent themselves getting injured. The tail is wagging the dog so something has to change.

I agree, but the problem is that the job market works for footballers is so radically different for the normal job market. You would have to build up a whole separate raft of legislation for football alone, plus justify the rights of footballers being less than that of a normal contract worker.

Very difficult to do.

Plus there is a very strong argument that people pay to see the players, the Premierleague is awash with cash, the players negotiate the money in an open market, and sign clear and straightforward contracts. The clubs know exactly what they are doing. If they don't want to give Roberts 35k a week they should have signed someone else for less.

I've stated when they were relegated that I'd have moved for both of them. I think Bartons ludicrouys wages ruled him out for us though.

We've had this debate before and the wages were/are irrelevant to me. As far as I'm concerned, and most Rovers fans seemed to feel the same way, I wouldn't let a thug like him wear the sacred shirt if he paid us.

Archived