BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

Ricky

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, if we are into theft, we might as well have someone at Brockhall work out one of those "lottery" schemes.

Congratulations <insert random striker's name here>,

You've been signed by Blackburn Rovers. Please respond to this e-mail with your financial information so we can directly deposit your 30k/wk salary into your bank account.

Respectfully yours,

Blackburn Rovers

Lotsa money in that, I suspect.

Its already a very tight structure....but success brings a demand, and unless you want unhappy players or people leaving for cheap then you have to try and meet that demand.

We're talking about the club paying over the odds for mediocrity. When you start throwing out lucrative contracts to average squad players your hands will be tied when you try to shift them, so yes you will have players leaving on the cheap (case in point: Roberts). If the club was handling negotiations properly, we wouldn't be having this debate, would we?

Had our wage structure been any tighter then the likes of Benni or Santa Cruz would not have been possible.

Big name signings (in our case) are always going to demand a competitive wage. No one said anything about curtailing that.

Reid is a good example - had a storming season. (success/ demand)...Spurs made an official bid, United asked about him....we give him a bumper new contract because everything looked rosy, next thing he's injured yet sat on £35k a week.

When have you known Zurab, Andrews or Roberts to have 'storming seasons'? Hardly protecting our investment bumping their contracts are we? Pedersen's been under-performing for years now and even HE got a long-term payrise - partly Sam's responsibility for being such an Eager Beaver to resign him, but JW is the man who signs the cheques.

I made the point earlier that the transfer market has become horribly rigid because the gaps in pay between the high paying PL clubs, the medium-paying clubs like Rovers and the rest of football have become too great. Players simply cannot trade down within contract any longer.

Clubs also find themselves in a catch 22 where they have to keep players preferably 2 years away from contract expiry in order to maintain transfer fee values. That means 5 year contracts are becoming more common and players getting new contracts (and pay rises) just two years into four year deals.

Great post Ricky- totally agree.

There is no doubt nicko adds a great deal to the board even when things get a bit controversial.

i'm just catching up on the weekend's reading and I had to pile on my appreciation of Rickey's post. What I don't love is certain ppl w/ a post count of under 50 crowing about having driven someone away. AS if what they've done was such a wonderful public service. We may all be equal on this MB--but some bring more to the table than others who just look to punch holes in their contributions.

Maybe those beating their chest need to get a grip.

Paul Plunkett mentions the Diarra link on twitter:

Blackburn Rovers linked with a £6m swoop for Real Madrid midfielder Diarra. No 1: They don't have £6m. No2: They don't need a midfielder

Got to say I disagree with No2 there Paul...

Blackburn Rovers linked with a £6m swoop for Real Madrid midfielder Diarra. No 1: They don't have £6m. No2: They don't need a midfielder

The takeover doesn't need to be complete in order for Rovers to have extra funds. There is nothing to prevent Uncle Ali either loaning the monies himself or personally guaranteeing an additional bank facility - by this time, Uncle Ali should know if he likes what he's seeing in 'the books'.

Pedersen's payrise was worth it vs. signing a replacement. Roberts was recruited to fill a role in a 4-4-2 and he did well at the time, but he doesn't fit the plans now and we're left with an old striker who isn't good enough for the Premier League and is too well paid for the Championship. Andrews was told he could have a better deal if he played a certain number of games and Williams kept his word.

William's backs the manager. Manager wants to keep Roberts on then Williams gets the contract set up. £30k a week for a premiership striker is what you'd expect to pay. Roberts is not a premiership standard striker, but if Ince thought so then Williams would have had little choice but to offer those wages. The fact is that even average players clearly are paid too much. Thats a premier league problem not exclusively a Rovers issue.

I am not sure about that. The question to ask is who in the premiership is better than Roberts was at the time he got the contract, and on a smaller wage? Not many out there. I suppose someone in a similar bracket at the time would have been Bobby Zamora who turned out well, but he would have signed on for 30k+ at Fulham.

The lack of experienced quality out there is a real problem. I don't think Rovers have conducted themselves any worse in the supplying of contracts than other Premiership clubs.

Glad it looks like Popov will happen. Diarra seems like dreaming (with the cash story out we are going to get linked with players repeatedly). Popov, Benjani in, Roberts out, plus a midfielder is an okay window.

Regarding what Plunkett said I would disagree with him regarding signing a midfielder. We were in for Greening, so it is obviously on the radar, just two strikers are the higher priority.

Were? When? Oh, you mean We're (We are) ... <_<

Got to say I disagree with No2 there Paul...

Once a Plunkett, always a ...

interesting take on Manchester City's spending spree

Pedersen's payrise was worth it vs. signing a replacement.

No, it was bad business sense. £8m+ four-year deal for a 29 year-old past his prime?

Roberts was recruited to fill a role in a 4-4-2 and he did well at the time, but he doesn't fit the plans now and we're left with an old striker who isn't good enough for the Premier League and is too well paid for the Championship.

Roberts was 30 when he signed his new deal, and even then he was in and out of the side. Perhaps if we took a leaf from Wenger's book, we wouldn't be saddled with this problem.

Andrews was told he could have a better deal if he played a certain number of games and Williams kept his word.

More fool soft-touch Williams. No, more fool us. I know Andrews isn't on big money (but more than he's worth), however we don't have much money as it is and we know that every penny counts. I don't see the sense in promising him a payrise. The guy is insanely lucky just to be playing here.

No, it was bad business sense. £8m+ four-year deal for a 29 year-old past his prime?

Roberts was 30 when he signed his new deal, and even then he was in and out of the side. Perhaps if we took a leaf from Wenger's book, we wouldn't be saddled with this problem.

More fool soft-touch Williams. No, more fool us. I know Andrews isn't on big money (but more than he's worth), however we don't have much money as it is and we know that every penny counts. I don't see the sense in promising him a payrise. The guy is insanely lucky just to be playing here.

Do you not tire of banging your drum with the same tune.

Urgh.

Ok, Gamst = £8m for 4 years. His replacement would have needed the same wages roughly (ie, £8m over 4 years), PLUS a transfer fee (£2/3m +). All this for a player who may well not be as good as MGP is (i know Gamst is no world beater but he is proven in the prem). 29 isnt past your prime. He's played well these last 2 games by the way.

Roberts = Ince wanted to keep him. He's a premiership striker therefore he gets an average premiership striker's wage. Whether we should have kept him full stop is the issue, the fact that he's here means that he'd obviously be paid highly - that is no surprise.

Andrews = was promised a contract if he played x amount of games. JW kept his promise. That's fair. Whilst our entire midfield was riddled with injuries Andrews stayed fit and played, that is why he is here. KA had earnt his contract.

Urgh.

Ok, Gamst = £8m for 4 years. His replacement would have needed the same wages roughly (ie, £8m over 4 years), PLUS a transfer fee (£2/3m +). All this for a player who may well not be as good as MGP is (i know Gamst is no world beater but he is proven in the prem). 29 isnt past your prime. He's played well these last 2 games by the way.

Roberts = Ince wanted to keep him. He's a premiership striker therefore he gets an average premiership striker's wage. Whether we should have kept him full stop is the issue, the fact that he's here means that he'd obviously be paid highly - that is no surprise.

Andrews = was promised a contract if he played x amount of games. JW kept his promise. That's fair. Whilst our entire midfield was riddled with injuries Andrews stayed fit and played, that is why he is here. KA had EARNED his contract.

Fixed but still wrong and injured on Saturday (thankfully).

Urgh.

Andrews = was promised a contract if he played x amount of games. JW kept his promise. That's fair. Whilst our entire midfield was riddled with injuries Andrews stayed fit and played, that is why he is here. KA had earnt his contract.

Some good sense here.

Peds may be pretty average and nowhere near his days of old but last season he was a solid Premier League standard performer and has looked good in the first couple of games this season.

As you say, this £8m thing is a misrepresentation as it blurs the lines between what we pay in wages over a long period of time and what we could pay as a transfer fee, so people read it and think we could have bought an £8m player instead. However it doesn't take into account the wages we'd have to pay the player.

Ahahahaha!

Oh wait. He's serious? :huh: Somebody sack that man.

Do you not tire of banging your drum with the same tune.

Obviously not.

Urgh.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. We've consistently let more expensive players go only to replace them with cheaper alternatives. Nothing at all to suggest we couldn't have done so with Pedersen. Do you remember how much he cost when he came here? Take your Pedersen fan-goggles off for a second and you might realize that.

Was 30 year-old Jason Roberts, rarely a first-team regular, worth £35k p/week for three years? A resounding no. Because when you make deals like that, they inevitably come back to bite you, hence the current situation.

Andrews already HAD a contract. If not for JW's charity, do you imagine Andrews walking into the chairman's office after a year and asking for a payrise? I sure don't!

Obviously not.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. We've consistently let more expensive players go only to replace them with cheaper alternatives. Nothing at all to suggest we couldn't have done so with Pedersen. Do you remember how much he cost when he came here? Take your Pedersen fan-goggles off for a second and you might realize that.

Was 30 year-old Jason Roberts, rarely a first-team regular, worth £35k p/week for three years? A resounding no. Because when you make deals like that, they inevitably come back to bite you, hence the current situation.

Andrews already HAD a contract. If not for JW's charity, do you imagine Andrews walking into the chairman's office after a year and asking for a payrise? I sure don't!

Wrong, wrong, wrong, we had no brass to replace MGP. Not even the 2.5m ( with add ons) he cost six tears ago, which we will have paid because 200 games later I'm sure they all became due.

Sam himself said we needed around 6m to replace him, I'n sure you had an alternative in mind.

Come too think about it, I don't remember one in the MGP topic, perhaps you would like to remind us, Oh! wait a minute it's not our job to find players, only to find fault.

The reason we can't get rid of Roberts isn't because of his contract, it's because we are asking for money for a player we clearly don't want and aren't going to use.

I'm sure if we offered to let him go on a free he'd already be in London.

Obviously not.

We sold decent players for very high prices ie Roque, Bentley etc. MGP would have gone for nothing. His replacement would have been on the same wages plus a reasonable transfer fee. Understand?? It was cheaper and less of a risk to keep him

Was Roberts worth 30k a week? Are any footballers? Im saying that we had the option of letting JR leave and replacing him with another 3rd choice striker on, guess what, around 30k a week, or keeping him. You seem to be missing the point. Whether Roberts is actually worth his wage isnt the issue, the fact is that he is a premiership striker at a premiership club and therefore he'll command such a fee. We have to pay competitive salaries otherwise we cant bring any decent players to Ewood.

You cant have a system where you ensure that only the first teamers earn anything like the average prem wage and the rest earn championship wages

Wasnt the contract for the short term? And didnt JW say initially that if Andrews played for so many games he'd be given another deal? Andrews is a poor player, but he did a job for us when we needed him. JW kept his word and thats how it should be.

I dont know why im bothering. Its been a slow day.

Have to say topman I just cannot fathom your antasgonism regarding MGP. He would have cost a hell of a lot more to replace my mate.

That alone makes a mockery of your opinion, although it is YOUR opinion.

Now go and try and sort out your maths regarding a replacement and compare those figures to the ones you have put in your post. I would like you to do with an adequate replacement, someone who is better, younger and adaptable.

Archived