BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

Ricky

The takeover doesn't need to be complete in order for Rovers to have extra funds. There is nothing to prevent Uncle Ali either loaning the monies himself or personally guaranteeing an additional bank facility - by this time, Uncle Ali should know if he likes what he's seeing in 'the books'.

There is also nothing to stop Rovers taking him on loan with a view to a permanent move if the take over goes through.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We signed MGP for £1.5m didnt we? That was the cost at the time, what it may have risen to is irrelevant in this debate. If we gave him a 4 year contract at the time on £20k a week (coming from the Norwegian league he probably got less than that) the overall cost to us would be circa £5.5m. Does anyone think the MGP of now is better than the MGP of 6 years ago?

The argument that it would have definitely cost more to replace MGP than re-sign him is ludicrous, and can be disproven by the player himself. We could definitely have replaced him for the same amount if not less and found ourselves an as good if not better player, had we looked hard enough. Popov, if he comes in, will likely be a cheaper overall deal.

I understand people are saying it was an expensive choice to keeep Gamst, but you have to factor in the risk of getting someone else in the squad - especially if they are coming from abroad and have to adjust to the premier league.

They might be cheaper alternatives, but represent much more risk - something we just couldnt afford to take.

Jeez without MGP I wonder if we would have even created a chance so far this season? Yes he isnt the best left winger in the world, but to be fair so far this season he has been our main supply route....He also takes all the corners & free-kicks & throwings.

At the moment he is a big part of our play & so far he has been good this season. Like others say - we cant afford a striker, never mind a decent left winger on top of that.

MGP might be pulling in a decent wage but if you want a replacement then it will set you back £5m+, aswell as a signing on fee & then similar or bigger wages. WHEN we have the money we CAN replace him.

We signed MGP for £1.5m didnt we? That was the cost at the time, what it may have risen to is irrelevant in this debate. If we gave him a 4 year contract at the time on £20k a week (coming from the Norwegian league he probably got less than that) the overall cost to us would be circa £5.5m. Does anyone think the MGP of now is better than the MGP of 6 years ago?

The argument that it would have definitely cost more to replace MGP than re-sign him is ludicrous, and can be disproven by the player himself. We could definitely have replaced him for the same amount if not less and found ourselves an as good if not better player, had we looked hard enough. Popov, if he comes in, will likely be a cheaper overall deal.

Yet there is no way to know Popov will be anywhere close to the PROVEN Premier League player MGP is. When you have a small transfer kitty it isn't worth risking 6.0m (transfer plus wages) on someone who very possibly won't be up to quality when you can simply resign a proven MGP for little more. No matter how you try to spin the numbers it doesn't work.

I actually do think that the current MGP is better than the one we bought. Lets not forget that he wasn't initially played as he wasn't deemed strong enough for the Premiership. Also - if you take into account wage inflation (which has been huge since he signed) - by comparison it makes a good deal.

You quote Popov - he may end up better - but he also may spend months on the side lines getting used to the Premiership (like Kalanic) - by which time we could be relegated.

Personally I am impartial where MGP is concerned. I have never seen him as a left winger - only a reasonable left midfield player with reasonable delivery from set pieces, and a good work rate.

Whichever way you look at it - as a team - Rovers invariably look better when MGP plays. The team is more important than the individual - and I would say this is the case with MGP who contributes greatly to our team play.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. We've consistently let more expensive players go only to replace them with cheaper alternatives. Nothing at all to suggest we couldn't have done so with Pedersen. Do you remember how much he cost when he came here? Take your Pedersen fan-goggles off for a second and you might realize that.

Wrong, wrong wrong. We have let more expensive players go but if you start letting everyone go based solely on their wages you're left with a few squad players and a youth team at best. Hell get rid of the lot and you can save money too by not paying for tickets. This aint pub football.

And take your crap tinted glasses off. He's a solid player.

There is also nothing to stop Rovers taking him on loan with a view to a permanent move if the take over goes through.

Except the fact that Real would be stupid to do that with a player in the last year of his contract.

Wrong, wrong wrong. We have let more expensive players go but if you start letting everyone go based solely on their wages you're left with a few squad players and a youth team at best. Hell get rid of the lot and you can save money too by not paying for tickets. This aint pub football.

If by solid you mean resolutely average. If the takeover goes through and we spend wisely on a midfielder who can take a half-decent set piece Pedersen will probably be no more than a squad player by Feb. It won't be hard to improve on him as a centre-mid, and Olsson is ahead of him for the left side.

Let's be honest, if Syed had pitched up in May and taken us over then, and given the awful last 3 years (bar about 5 games) Peds has served up then he'd likely have been shown the door.

I cannot understand why we would get rid of Roberts and bring in Benjani - is it because Roberts has said he wants to get first team football somewhere else?

For all the slating Jase gets, he can be useful in some games, even if its just coming off the bench (I am aware his finishing is terrible).

However, back to the original point, Roberts out and Benjani in does not make sense to me, particularly as we cannot count on Benjani to remain fit for a period of time (based on his track record of injuries).

Wonder what the back-up plan is if Benjani fails his medical....

How do you draw that conclusion?

It sounds from that article as though Sam likes him but he isn't too hopeful of being able to afford him.

It is clear that Sam has been incredibly frustrated this summmer with missing out on target after target (as he put it).

Unless there is some finance forthcoming, as a result of a takeover, I could not see him managing us for too much longer.

On his Rovers World interview, post match, on Saturday he said currently we go into games not sure what's going to happen - being able to buy better quality of players would enable more consistent/improved performances.

I cannot understand why we would get rid of Roberts and bring in Benjani - is it because Roberts has said he wants to get first team football somewhere else?

For all the slating Jase gets, he can be useful in some games, even if its just coming off the bench (I am aware his finishing is terrible).

However, back to the original point, Roberts out and Benjani in does not make sense to me, particularly as we cannot count on Benjani to remain fit for a period of time (based on his track record of injuries).

Wonder what the back-up plan is if Benjani fails his medical....

It all has a ring of Harry Basset school of management about it, John, sad to say.

Absolutely. Pedersen is the best player in the club by some distance, the lynchpin of the team and the first name down on the team sheet when the manager selects his side. If we had 11 players like him with the same attitude and ability we would be knocking on the door of the CL every season.

Archived