BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

Ricky

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The West Ham Caicedo collapsed transfer excuse is full of holes.

If you bring in a player from abroad on loan it is counted as an 'international transfer' and not a loan...

I think it fell down over terms rather than anything else.

His agent was putting him elsewhere as of Friday.

You could be interested.

Right now it looks like Popov and Benjani, but clearly if you can get a better version of Benjani - big, strong and quick - it would tick the boxes.

Popov's delay sounds down to details over price, but surely that can be done.

Brady explained why the transfer broke down in her column, the agent wanted more for himself that what the fee was.

Brady explained why the transfer broke down in her column, the agent wanted more for himself that what the fee was.

Now that I can believe.

Any idea why there would be an issue with the asking price for Popov? The litex Lovech website claimed, that a 1.5mill deal had been agreed between the 2 clubs.

There is aklways haggling over small details like method and speed of payment, extras, agent's fees, wages etc.

Sounds like the boy impressed the manager in his short stay and he wants him.

So now it's over to the number crunchers.

Mind you, we have been down this road before many times of late.

I'd be stunned and dissapointed if we didnt go for caicedo, i've been championing his cause for some time now. I just think he's the perfect type of player for us. Bear in mind that City paid around £7m for him and would take around £1m for him if reports are right.

Sod the loan deal just sign the boy up!!

I'd be stunned and dissapointed if we didnt go for caicedo, i've been championing his cause for some time now. I just think he's the perfect type of player for us. Bear in mind that City paid around £7m for him and would take around £1m for him if reports are right.

1 million and 10K a week does seem rather low for him. I'd most certainly take him over Banjoni as he has far more room to develop. Showed some good moments at city and with some more regular pitch time who knows.

Popov and Caicedo would be alright by me.

1 million and 10K a week does seem rather low for him. I'd most certainly take him over Banjoni as he has far more room to develop. Showed some good moments at city and with some more regular pitch time who knows.

Popov and Caicedo would be alright by me.

I think the pair of them would make a massive difference to us and I would just take a punt on Caceido at 1 million. Would be a good foil for Kalinic.

Don't know much about Popov but if he impressed Allardyce on trial he must be okay, his record is decent.

I'm surprised we haven't moved for Caceido yet...

Reluctantly yes. He's no great shakes, and seems to have serious temperment issues, but when he can be bothered (normally the first couple of months he's at a place or when playing for a new contract) he is not a bad player and certainly can cause the opposition problems. I suppose an incentive producing 3 month rolling contract is illegal/never going to happen.

Still compaired with Benjani I'd have him, but then I'd prefer Roberts to Benjani too.

• Moderation Lead

Same here. Would have been a cheap, promising young replacement for Pedersen. Oh wait, he didn't cost £6m, so he can't be. Shows what I know...

Taarabt is a really good player, but quite the bad apple. Whilst at Spurs he said he had always wanted to play for Arsenal........

He also has a massively inflated ego, gained while over-performing in the championship.

On the flip side, he could be another Bellamy for us-though you have to believe his head would be turned at the first sign of interest from elsewhere and would hanker for a move!

agree Ricky, think that deal just sounds very good and if the numbers are correct, then well within our budget… We would be crazy not to be in for him, and I would hope JW and Sam have contacted City about him. Popov and Caicedo would be very good additions, in fact, Popov could be that creative midfielder we need( I know he is a striker)

Robinson

Salgado Samba Givet Olsson

E Diouf Nzonzi MGP

Popov

Kalinic Caicedo

Or

Robinson

Salgado Samba Nelsen Givet

Popov Nzonzi MGP Olsson

Kalinic Caicedo

Yet there is no way to know Popov will be anywhere close to the PROVEN Premier League player MGP is. When you have a small transfer kitty it isn't worth risking 6.0m (transfer plus wages) on someone who very possibly won't be up to quality when you can simply resign a proven MGP for little more. No matter how you try to spin the numbers it doesn't work.

Neither was MGP when he signed. Wages do not come out of the transfer kitty, so you can scratch that point off. The wage budget is a different thing entirely, and would have decreased had we let MGP go.

I actually do think that the current MGP is better than the one we bought. Lets not forget that he wasn't initially played as he wasn't deemed strong enough for the Premiership. Also - if you take into account wage inflation (which has been huge since he signed) - by comparison it makes a good deal.

You quote Popov - he may end up better - but he also may spend months on the side lines getting used to the Premiership (like Kalanic) - by which time we could be relegated.

Personally I am impartial where MGP is concerned. I have never seen him as a left winger - only a reasonable left midfield player with reasonable delivery from set pieces, and a good work rate.

Whichever way you look at it - as a team - Rovers invariably look better when MGP plays. The team is more important than the individual - and I would say this is the case with MGP who contributes greatly to our team play.

MGP has been bang average for 3 1/2 of the last 4 years. We wouldnt have been losing anything by letting him go.

Given Pedersen's good form in the first two games (bar the penalty miss) and our inability to complete any transfer - I'd say keeping him this season has benefitted rovers greatly.

Seriously, aside from the good contribution this season and the fact he fits in well with Sam's gameplan (pretty big arguments for keeping him imo) who else do you want in the 5 man midfield out of who we've got? For some games N'Zonzi and Jones is overkill defensively. Emerton doesn't look the player he was. Andrews? Grella? And Dunn for all his creativity seems incapable of staying fit for any length of time. Getting rid of Peds in these circumstances would've been rank stupidity.

Sam - disagree with two strikers, but think we could get away with only having three. If we only have 2 one long term injury and we've no options whatsoever.

Neither was MGP when he signed. Wages do not come out of the transfer kitty, so you can scratch that point off. The wage budget is a different thing entirely, and would have decreased had we let MGP go.

MGP has been bang average for 3 1/2 of the last 4 years. We wouldnt have been losing anything by letting him go.

Pedersen is a bang average premier league player. We're a bang average premier league team. To buy a bang average premier league player you're talking the same wages as Gamst PLUS a transfer fee of £3/4m on top. Plus the risk that whoever we bring in cannot perform at this level.

For example, we have no idea how Popov will fare if he gets brought on board. We know Pedersen can perform in this league.

Andrews already HAD a contract. If not for JW's charity, do you imagine Andrews walking into the chairman's office after a year and asking for a payrise? I sure don't!

Me neither. Thats what an agents for.

We signed MGP for £1.5m didnt we? That was the cost at the time, what it may have risen to is irrelevant in this debate. If we gave him a 4 year contract at the time on £20k a week (coming from the Norwegian league he probably got less than that) the overall cost to us would be circa £5.5m. Does anyone think the MGP of now is better than the MGP of 6 years ago?

Me. He hardly played under Souness.

Was he not the monkey in Pipkins workshop along with hartley hare ??

No... the pig I think.

Pedersen is a bang average premier league player. We're a bang average premier league team. To buy a bang average premier league player you're talking the same wages as Gamst PLUS a transfer fee of £3/4m on top. Plus the risk that whoever we bring in cannot perform at this level.

For example, we have no idea how Popov will fare if he gets brought on board. We know Pedersen can perform in this league.

It's just as well you saved that bit to the end, I would have stopped reading had it been any earlier.

Absolutely. Pedersen is the best player in the club by some distance, the lynchpin of the team and the first name down on the team sheet when the manager selects his side. If we had 11 players like him with the same attitude and ability we would be knocking on the door of the CL every season.

2 critical replies........ I'd no idea so many people had you on ignore.

Archived