BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

Ricky

I'm starting to think Benjani as the extra striker might be the best option - he's cheap and will be OK with sitting on the bench - freeing up any larger chunk we may have for a more creative midfielder. If we carry on playing 1 up front then we will need to play Kalinic (his development must be top priority) and we have Mame who definitely looks like he will be an asset this year. Benjani coming off the bench would be a decent option for us.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting to think Benjani as the extra striker might be the best option - he's cheap and will be OK with sitting on the bench - freeing up any larger chunk we may have for a more creative midfielder. If we carry on playing 1 up front then we will need to play Kalinic (his development must be top priority) and we have Mame who definitely looks like he will be an asset this year. Benjani coming off the bench would be a decent option for us.

In that case, recall Blackman and sit him on the bench. Why sign a knackered 32 year-old who makes Jason Roberts look prolific just to make up the numbers, when we have a younger, cheaper alternative?

If we end-up only with Benjani then that is an absolute joke.

The board at BRFC have a huge amount to answer for - it's 8 months since Benni left - wtf have they all been doing.

The Williams family must be starving to death if JW is so indecisive about the family shopping!

This is absolutely shocking and I'll be voting with my wallet as I will no longer be taking -up some entertainment options pencilled-in with Rovers as none of my clients will be remotely interested in seeing Benjani.

In that case, recall Blackman and sit him on the bench. Why sign a knackered 32 year-old who makes Jason Roberts look prolific just to make up the numbers, when we have a younger, cheaper alternative?

Because the younger cheaper alternative will gain far more from playing regular football (the purpose of loaning him out) than he will from sitting on our bench. If we need a backup that will spend most of his time getting splinters in his arse then it makes sense to ensure that said backup is as cheap as possible and not someone we're trying to develop.

Benjani is a workhorse, and very powerful. If he stays fit he's the sort of player that can create some space and cause some havoc late in a game. If JRob was at another club I would want us to bring him in over Benjani to fullfill the same role, however it looks like too much has happened between him and the manager for us to be able to keep him. Benjani is an adequate cheaper replacement.

The Williams family must be starving to death if JW is so indecisive about the family shopping!

This is absolutely shocking and I'll be voting with my wallet as I will no longer be taking -up some entertainment options pencilled-in with Rovers as none of my clients will be remotely interested in seeing Benjani.

Worry not am sure they are just "keeping the powder dry".

We don't actually have to buy him though do we Iceman?

we are going to pay him, right Gordon? So in other words, whether we don’t buy him from another club, we are using money to pay him some sort of Salary. It’s a desperate move by Sam, and the question is, if we are only playing 1 up front, then we should be fine with 2 strikers until at least January.

Best option is a shade generous. I see Benji as a bit of a wasted signing if Roberts stays. They are similar players who will get a similar amount of goals.

Niko, Diouf, Roberts, Benji - not a prolific attacking lineup

I say best option because I can't think of anyone available who will be as cheap, willing to come and willing to sit on the bench.

We did very well the second half of last season with Kalinic, Di Santo and Roberts. Mame is better than Di Santo so if we add Benjani to it as well then we have upgraded. Not by as much as I would hope, but still. I'll re-iterate though - the sole reason for my pro-Benjani stance is it should allow us to bring in another midfielder with the money it will save. If we only bring in Benjani then my stance on it will change.

BENJANI - cheap deal on a free...incentive-based...has to have a chance in the current circumstances...but if he is any good how come he hasn't been signed already?

POPOV - these Bulgarians like a haggle...still likely to be finalised.

ADVIC - probably second choice to Popov...you won't get both.

ROBERTS - may be a sale...which would explain...

THE MYSTERY STRIKER - there is a new one on the radar...may even be exciting...although I won't believe it until it's been denied by the odd twitt.

so now JW stating that the valuations are above what we are prepared to pay. Seriously now, surely JW would know up front what the selling club wants for the player. It just seems as if, we are saying "okay thats fine", and then when we are in talks, we will say, "can we get a 50% discount." :rolleyes:

2mill pounds, easy does it.. Just give them the 2mill from the money we received for Benni, plus we will have 500k left

We've prob 'got at' Popov by promising him a lump of what we can save by screwing his club over. He'll be adamant that he wants to come and we'll be adamant that they are asking too much.

What a massive backward step this will be for Rovers.

JW and the board ###### all the money up against the wall and this is what we are left with, a loanee from Man U who we'd never be able to afford and a not fit for purpose migrant.

DAMAGING !

If the deal is cheap enough then I don't see anything wrong with it. Say we ship Roberts out and Benjani comes in on an incentive based contract then what could be wrong with it? If the club saves 10-15k a week in having Benjani as a 4th choice instead then I'd agree with the deal, just needs to be tied in with someone with a bit more talent. If he stays fit he's a decent player and if the contract is short-term and pay-as-you-play then we don't really have to worry too much if he can't stay fit.

Strange how at the start of the window people were saying "we will end up with Benji or Beattie :(" now people seem to be accepting him as a player. The fruits of our labour throughout the whole of this miserable window will be a young loanee and Benji. Not quite what I had hoped for to be honest.

You don't appear to be taking into account that we've had the chance to have a good long look at him.... and his knees. He must be considered up to the mark.

BENJANI - cheap deal on a free...incentive-based...has to have a chance in the current circumstances...but if he is any good how come he hasn't been signed already?

ADVIC - probably second choice to Popov...you won't get both.

ROBERTS - may be a sale...which would explain...

THE MYSTERY STRIKER - there is a new one on the radar...may even be exciting...although I won't believe it until it's been denied by the odd twitt.

Thanks Nicko, seems clear they want Popov with Advic as a fallback, although that look like being dependent on the Roberts sale from what I can see. Benjani seems to be coming regardless and maybe that's an alright thing as a 4th option (assuming Roberts leaves) as the others will all be very young. Not sure whether the mystery striker would be instead of Benjani or Popov/Advic, although I have learned not to get my hopes up on these things.

Roberts to Championship or Prem?

• Backroom

What a massive backward step this will be for Rovers.

JW and the board ###### all the money up against the wall and this is what we are left with, a loanee from Man U who we'd never be able to afford and a not fit for purpose migrant.

DAMAGING !

Out of interest you seem genuinely bothered about Benjanis nationality, why? If he was good in your eyes would it still be an issue?

Anyway in my view it's a decent move would be happy with him and Popov, we'd have a much stronger front line than last season for sure.

You don't appear to be taking into account that we've had the chance to have a good long look at him.... and his knees. He must be considered up to the mark.

True, but he has been here for a while now and he still isn't a Rover. And no other clubs have gone for him all summer.

The board at BRFC have a huge amount to answer for - it's 8 months since Benni left - wtf have they all been doing.

Who were you hoping to see? Drogba? Rooney? I'm sure your clients will not turn down free ale and food just because we may sign Banjoni as back up.

Whoever we sign will be an addition to our strikeforce therefore another option and back up in case our 2 current strikers in the squad get injured.

It's time for people to open their eyes and remember what club they actually support. I started following Rovers at the back end of the 70's and have seen some real grim times at Ewood, most of us on here enjoyed the glory days (but of course winning the league wont have been good enough for some)and now we are punching above our weight in the best league in the world. If it's world beaters your after go corporate at Old Trafford.

I suggest that you simmer down, stop being such a drama queen and think things through properly on the 1/9/10.

More exciting than Popov or the Swede ? 2nd choice striker ? I do note that most of the strikers we are being linked with, the exception Benjani, have all had youth on their side which compliments BFS`s policy of lower the age of the team/playing squad and building for the future - thunbs up Sam !

we are going to pay him, right Gordon? So in other words, whether we don’t buy him from another club, we are using money to pay him some sort of Salary. It’s a desperate move by Sam, and the question is, if we are only playing 1 up front, then we should be fine with 2 strikers until at least January.

Thats suicidal.

True, but he has been here for a while now and he still isn't a Rover. And no other clubs have gone for him all summer.

We don't know nobody else has shown any interest do we? Sam has made some cracking signings, if he thinks Banjoni is worth a short term deal then so be it.

No signing Robbie Fowler - that would be a joke :rolleyes:

Providing he is a pay as you play contract - and it buys us time until the takeover is completed it is a good deal IMO. We desperately need cover - and at the moment that is all Benjani would be. However - given his pace he will be a useful weapon from the bench. After all he ripped us to pieces playing for City - he may not be the best finisher in the world - but as with Roberts it is sometimes the contribution to the general team play that counts.

WHY DO YOU THINK IT IS NECESSARILY DOWN TO US? I'D IMAGINE WE'VE PUT A 'STOP LOSS' DEAL IN FRONT OF HIM AND HE'S BEEN HOPING A BETTER ONE WILL COME IN FROM ELSEWHERE.

MIGHT BE US THATS HAGGLING.

IN MY DAY WOMEN LIKE YOU USED TO BE CALLED PRICKTEASERS ALAN. ANY CLUES? I LIKE A GOOD QUIZ.

Archived