BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

Ricky

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roberts is an established Premier League striker and has been for many years.

The remuneration he receives is the going rate for the job at a middling PL club.

That's the way it works.

Yes, I know. If you'll notice, that sentence was in quotation marks. I was mocking other posters.

We're in a weaker position. What's the point saving a few thousand on the wage bill when you don't use it to bring someone in!? On current form, those saved wages aren't going to make a blind bit of difference with our transfer dealings, more so if the takeover is completed. In the meantime, we have to make do with what we have - whilst our rivals have been able to strengthen.

whilst i agree not bringing anyone in was a bad move i don't mind the players who have been allowed to leave going as they were not going to play at any point so why not get them off the wage bill. I'd have been surprised if zurab had got a squad number Judge is nowhere near good enough although would have been homegrown. And everyone goes on about the fondness for right backs so losing one of them can't be a bad thing.

Great, we've lost an honest pro in Jacobsen whilst the free loader Chimbonda stays with us. Cheers west ham.

Agree 100%.

I hope we got a fee for Jacobsrn because otherwise we might as well have let Chimbonda go. I'm sure it would have been a bigger saving on the wage bill.

Sky have someone stationed outside WHL and are virtually creaming themselves at the prospect of the ultimate wheel 'n' deal from 'Arry.

£8 million too for Van der Vaart - knew Harry could not let the day go by without splashing some cash.

whilst i agree not bringing anyone in was a bad move i don't mind the players who have been allowed to leave going as they were not going to play at any point so why not get them off the wage bill. I'd have been surprised if zurab had got a squad number Judge is nowhere near good enough although would have been homegrown. And everyone goes on about the fondness for right backs so losing one of them can't be a bad thing.

Sensible post. You might want to come back tomorrow morning and post that, the frenzy should have died down by then.

£8 million too for Van der Vaart - knew Harry could not let the day go by without splashing some cash.

That's a great signing - and one I would have liked us to have been all over had the takeover gone through. So that's Van Der Vaart and Gyan off the list then. Damn.

Sky have someone stationed outside WHL and are virtually creaming themselves at the prospect of the ultimate wheel 'n' deal from 'Arry.

I think the loanees should have been on our radar. If the figures bandied about in saved wages are correct, then I can't see how we couldn't have got Gudjonssen or Hleb. Unless of course Stoke and Brum have paid big signing bonuses - do teams so that for loans?

Well both Stoke and Brum do have significantly more funds then we do and lets face it, to attract Hleb and Gudjohnson they must have pushed the boat out regarding wages.

Im not too concerned, there are easily 4/5 worse squads in the division at present and thats assuming all these new boys that Sunderland/Birmingham etc have brought in actually click. As a previous poster says, Gyan for crazy money off the back of 4/5 games at the WC doesnt make much sense when you think about it.

No suprise that we have signed no-one, however I do think the supporters deserve a good explanation why not. Its 8 months since Benni was sold and not replaced and 5 months since we guaranteed Premier League this season.

To be reliant on free's and loans isnt a good way to be run. I know people will say, well the squad finished 10th last season, but to be honest I think we got lucky, and many of the teams below us have strengthened. I can see us battling with Blackpool, Wigan and West Brom to stay up. If we get to Jan and we are in the bottom 3 then many potential targets will think again before signing too.

I'm not going to go and slit my wrists, but this has been an amazingly poor close season for Rovers.

Anyone got a list of free agents? Blackpool have one who played in the world-cup flying in to sign tomorrow.

Very very good post. Agree entirely.

We can only hope the take over goes through smoothly then reconstruction work can begin in January.

You lot are a bloody embarrassment.

"How could Roberts be on 33K/wk?! Why do Rovers pay crap players so much money?!?!"

"Why doesn't anyone want to come to Rovers on a free/loan?!?! Why can't we sign Guti and Raul?!?!"

If Tuncay had come in, some numbnuts would be whining this time in three years about how no one would take him off our hands because he's on 30K/wk.

Everyone else around us have strengthened, eh? By spending 13.2M on Asamoah Effing Gyan, a guy who has scored 14 goals over two seasons and had a half-decent run of a half-dozen games during the World Cup? Well man alive, why didn't Rovers go get someone comparable?? I'm sure Robbie Findley could've been got for 15M!

Give me a break. Just like at the end of every other transfer window, people are losing their skulls over signings that other teams have made, probably 80% of which will amount to additions but not improvements.

What does this group of players have in common?

Benjani

Acquilani

Diamanti

Matic

Insua

Weiss

Ireland

Bellamy

Beattie

Sinclair

Degen

Taraabt

Fulop

You know what it is? They're all players that were signed by Premiership teams in past windows, additions that were considered "strengthening," who have been let to leave for nothing or next to nothing. It happens in every window: widespread panic that everyone else is strengthening, then later (and quietly) the realization that most of the players who were bought were just wasted money, wasted fees and wages, wasted time.

Did anybody watch the first three matches of the season? You seriously think this squad isn't good enough to stay up?

There's a takeover on the way. Breathe deep. Next window we'll be in 13th, but all this will be a distant memory. Or else it won't, and that window will be the same as this one, and we'll all survive another mid-table finish. Relax.

This post is entirely too sensible and well thought out for deadline day. Why are you not getting into petty arguments, acting like the takeover won't happen or predicting relegation ?

Are you a mole ?

how anyone can come on here and defend the club for not signing anyone bar the useless benjani and mame diouf on loan is beyond me.look at the teams around us they have all improved their squads,hleb what a player and the chilean aint bad.does anyone reckon we will finish tenth this year?personally i think not a snowballs chance 15th,16th i reckon.its a disgrace all we ever hear is we have not got any money surely we could have got some loans in.

Could we not appeal the decision if that was the case and still sign him as a deal would have been in place in principle?

Possibly - not sure how it works, dont forget if it was Spurs then it wouldnt be a problem - so who knows!

It doesn't mean we're in a stronger position. Saving money on the wage bill only to bring NO ONE in feels like a kick in the teeth by the club.

Disagree about Judge. Looked like a nippy little player, and would have preferred him as a squad player instead of someone like Andrews.

Well, he is a Wheeler Dea-...

Seems very harsh that we were denied a work permit for a 22 year-old Bulgarian player of the year. I don't know how it works exactly but surely he would have played plenty of games for us and will play plenty for Bulgaria in the coming years. I can't think of any off the top of my head but am sure there are others players who have been given work permits despite not fitting the criteria and whose circumstances are worse than Popov's.

Basically someone like Kalinic as the poster above says...

reckon its bull that we were denied a work permit doubt we even agreed a price with litex,probably williams and the money men trying to appease the fans because they know theres a hell of a lot of supports extremely ###### off at the shambles that was the transfer window.

I am pretty certain that assulin (sp) left City during his trial with a recurrence of a knee injury that requires corrective surgery meaning he would be out for a few months so I dont see that happening.

Underwhelmed by a lack of incoming.

Still hopeful that with a week or so to go to get loan signings out we will see others leaving although that willmost definate weaken the playing side.

Rovers now have to hope they keep the squad relatively injury free, hope dunny sheds 2 stone quickly and hope beyond hope the disciplinary standards improve until January.

Add to that Rovers have to aim for at least 24 points being in the bag before the New Year to ensure we dont become esconced in the bottom 5 or 6. I wouldn want us to be in a position where we may have to buy to survive.

Finally, I hope that despite the lack of incoming activity Sam keeps the faith.

Seems that all of a sudden we've been trying to offload players all day.

Unless I'm incredibly simple, WTF did this not start at the end of last season by placing all the deadwood on the transfer list ?

If I was buying BRFC, I'd be asking very serious questions about the efficiency and acumen of JW (overrated in my view - appointed Brian Kidd, Paul Ince and 'negotiated' £17m in fees for rags like Davies, Dailly & Blake) Tom Finn, the finance director (whoever he may be) and our scouts.

The supporters have been led all the way up the garden path and deserve an explanation as WE ARE THE LIFE BLOOD OF THIS CLUB.

Archived