BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

Ricky

Who says we were denied a work perit for Popov? I understood we merely sent him home after a trial here.

As regards Jason Roberts I feel fairly sorry for him the way he has been treated. He was actually the leading scorer out of any of our strikers last season and it's only a few weeks ago that Sam was quoted in the LT as saying that we needed him playing the way he did second half last season.

Then Sam presumably comes up with the brainwave of offloading him due to the high wages he's on and completely humiliates him by failing to give him a squad number. Said attempts to offload him fail and we've now got to go back cap in hand to him "Well actually Jason old boy, we're going to need you after all"

I wouldn't have thought he'd be totally inclined to give it his all. If he is he's a better man than me.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then Sam presumably comes up with the brainwave of offloading him due to the high wages he's on and completely humiliates him by failing to give him a squad number. Said attempts to offload him fail and we've now got to go back cap in hand to him "Well actually Jason old boy, we're going to need you after all"

I wouldn't have thought he'd be totally inclined to give it his all. If he is he's a better man than me.

I doubt we'll get to find out, he's the worst out of the four strikers we have.

Championship clubs can loan players soon, can't they? i.e. before January?

Seems very harsh that we were denied a work permit for a 22 year-old Bulgarian player of the year. I don't know how it works exactly but surely he would have played plenty of games for us and will play plenty for Bulgaria in the coming years. I can't think of any off the top of my head but am sure there are others players who have been given work permits despite not fitting the criteria and whose circumstances are worse than Popov's.

Basically someone like Kalinic as the poster above says...

Surely we can appeal? The deal has been on for a while. Or does the window not work like that?

Who says we were denied a work perit for Popov? I understood we merely sent him home after a trial here.

As regards Jason Roberts I feel fairly sorry for him the way he has been treated. He was actually the leading scorer out of any of our strikers last season and it's only a few weeks ago that Sam was quoted in the LT as saying that we needed him playing the way he did second half last season.

They do.

What do these players have in common:

Adam Johnson- £6 million

Dos santos- loan

Taarabt- loan

Danny Rose- loan

Sturridge- Chelsea

Thats 5 players in the last two windows who would have improved our squad, who were within our reach- yes even Johnson

Also imy i am sure nicko said at the time they would make money available for a Marquee signing when the Johnson rumour was alive.

Fair enough he would always have gone to City before us,but suprise suprise there was no Marquee signing made that

transfer window either.

DE JA VOU.

Seems that all of a sudden we've been trying to offload players all day.

Unless I'm incredibly simple, WTF did this not start at the end of last season by placing all the deadwood on the transfer list ?

If I was buying BRFC, I'd be asking very serious questions about the efficiency and acumen of JW (overrated in my view - appointed Brian Kidd, Paul Ince and 'negotiated' £17m in fees for rags like Davies, Dailly & Blake) Tom Finn, the finance director (whoever he may be) and our scouts.

The supporters have been led all the way up the garden path and deserve an explanation as WE ARE THE LIFE BLOOD OF THIS CLUB.

The epitome of an overreaction

Get a grip.

What on earth are you talking about? As mentioned, JW's leadership of this club has led to multiple investors ouside Ewood. What on earth has signing Kevin Davies got to do with that? Were you awake when Hughes was in charge? When he brought in dozens of cheap, decent premiership players? Does JW not take the credit for them as he does take the blame for Kevin Davies???

The one massive assumption that you are making is that we have money which we are choosing not to spend. Enough money to buy players which will improve the squad. I, for one believe that if we had the finances to afford decent players, Sam would have been given them.

If this takeover goes through then the pain of this summer will have been worth it. If that falls apart then i will sympathise with some of your points.

Last seasons goal stats would suggest otherwise.

Kalinic should do a lot better this season admittedly but I strongly disagree Benjani is better than Roberts.

Same here. Benjani has fired in four goals in two years and has knackered knees. If anything, he makes Roberts look like a godsend.

Sam claims that it was agreed between Roberts and the club that he wouldn't have a squad number - in an effort to keep him injury free.

Though I don't agree with the handling of the situation (I would have had Roberts on the bench against Arsenal) - I can agree with trying to get a transfer fee for a player coming towards the end of his career and contract - attempting to replace with a younger player (makes perfect sense to me).

Personally I think Roberts will give his all - he always has even when he has had stick from the terraces. Regarding the better man - Roberts has attempted throughout his career to give back to a number of charities - everything I had read about him, he seems a top bloke.

After this window, it seems we are neither a buying, selling nor trading club, but instead a begging club..

Another thought for you, why buy players in this transfer window, that Rovers will not want in January, if there is new investment. I think people may have to re think a little. yes we all wanted new players to come into the club. But if there is a takeover and more money coming into the club. Rovers could be stuck with players (If they had bought) just signed, when they want to sign better players in January. What deal could the club realistically offer to a player in this transfer window. "Please sign for us with the belief that it is quite possible that come january, we will have money to spend and we won't want you then" How long a contract do you give players,

Guest Kamy100

If we are going to pick up somebody on a free transfer then I think that we have to do it before 5pm tomorrow, once the 25 man squad is submitted you cannot change it until January. Doesn't stop us from signing someone on a free transfer but they will not be able to play until January.

Seems that all of a sudden we've been trying to offload players all day.

Unless I'm incredibly simple, WTF did this not start at the end of last season by placing all the deadwood on the transfer list ?

If I was buying BRFC, I'd be asking very serious questions about the efficiency and acumen of JW (overrated in my view - appointed Brian Kidd, Paul Ince and 'negotiated' £17m in fees for rags like Davies, Dailly & Blake) Tom Finn, the finance director (whoever he may be) and our scouts.

The supporters have been led all the way up the garden path and deserve an explanation as WE ARE THE LIFE BLOOD OF THIS CLUB.

God almighty you're really simple.

Real life isn't Football Manager.

Placing players on the transfer list doesn't mean you'll get offers.

The reason why we've managed to offload players today isn't a coincidence, it's because it's the most desperate day of the season.

Every club over the years has appointed a couple of bad managers and made bad signings. But JW has consistently also appointed very good ones who have done wonders on a tiny budget over the years. Our scouts have uncovered countless bargains over the years without which we'd be long gone into the Championship.

Name me a club with such a proud record of great players bought on a shoestring over the last few years?

Name me another club with our budget who has managed 4 top 10 finishes in the last 5 seasons?

Fair point. I don't enjoy reading how much some of these overpaid tarts get, but... it's the going rate.

And good news stories about charitable foundations dont get press.

Jason, his touch goes farther than i can kick it, roberts is a top bloke.

Group hug?

Another thought for you, why buy players in this transfer window, that Rovers will not want in January, if there is new investment. I think people may have to re think a little. yes we all wanted new players to come into the club. But if there is a takeover and more money coming into the club. Rovers could be stuck with players (If they had bought) just signed, when they want to sign better players in January. What deal could the club realistically offer to a player in this transfer window. "Please sign for us with the belief that it is quite possible that come january, we will have money to spend and we won't want you then" How long a contract do you give players,

1. Until the takeover is completed, it should be business as usual. We can't take it for granted.

2. Even if it does happen, one deadline signing isn't going to inconvenience us and doesn't mean we wouldn't look at players like Popov.

We ought to be conducting our business on the basis of the situation as it is now. Not on the basis of a takeover that might not happen. No matter how likely or promising that looks.

The Club have admitted that themselves haven't they? It's "Business as usual"

What if the takeover doesn't go through, we're in the bottom three in Jan, players are less inclined to join us and selling clubs know were desperate?

That's not the best time to be buying players either is it?

Archived