BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

Ricky

Fair point. I don't enjoy reading how much some of these overpaid tarts get, but... it's the going rate.

And good news stories about charitable foundations dont get press.

Jason, his touch goes farther than i can kick it, roberts is a top bloke.

Group hug?

Is this an exercise in stream of conscious narrative?

Can I play too?

-Roberts is now our backup striker.

-Wonder what number he will get.

-Can I somehow convince myself that him getting a number can constitute a signing.

-Whats for dinner?

-Dont touch me.

-I drink alone.

---With nobody else.

-We are-

s

i

n

k

i

n

g

......................................hope.........................................s..........................n.....................a..............

p

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we are going to pick up somebody on a free transfer then I think that we have to do it before 5pm tomorrow, once the 25 man squad is submitted you cannot change it until January. Doesn't stop us from signing someone on a free transfer but they will not be able to play until January.

Clubs do not have to name a full squad of 25 if they do not have that many contracted players and in this instance they may add free agents outside the transfer window.

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~2094341,00.html

We have 22 senior players we need to name, so we should have three spaces available even after the naming of the squad.

Another thought for you, why buy players in this transfer window, that Rovers will not want in January, if there is new investment. I think people may have to re think a little.

To try to ensure that we actually get to January without being in danger? Clubs have always brought in players they know would only be short term. Apart from that, clubs can loan players as well - they don't have to buy.

There will be fun and games if we're still under the ownership of the trustees in another 12 months time.

Thats a nice thouight however no takeover is signed, sealed or delivered. There are no promises and no guarantees. The only thing certain is that BRFC are a few players less, the squad is bleeding money left, right and centre, the manager appears to be blowing steam at the upper management, the trust want rid and even the netting may not be able to be replaced due to the cost of a new net costing approx £2000.

Things do not appear to be rosy at the flower bed that is Rovers and unless we see an Indian Summer, our rose may well wilt never to be revived.

Things really do appear to have reached the depths. Rovers fans are just querying how much further they can drop.

The teams around us have strengthened significantly, even the teams who we thought would struggle like Wolves,WBA and Wigan have on paper better prepared teams. The next 5 home games will show us exactly how good our current crop of staff are.

Fulham

Sunderland

Chelsea

Wigan

Villa

Sandwiched in between are the following away games

man City

Blackpool

Liverpool

Spurs

Stoke

Newcastle

Thats is a run of games that is crucial and we have to have a number of wins if we are to look at 10th spot again. 18 points has to be the minimum return.

Thats why this squad needed improvement, needed tinkering and freshening. SA has not been able to do that and that is why I am worried that a lack of activity may find us horribly detached come winter.

Its not being defeatist, rash or unreasonable, even despondent. Its a reality. Thats why I am concerned.

Hmm seems to be a lot of doom and gloom in here again, let's all cheer ourselves up by looking at Salgado's hair.

michel-salgado.jpeg

ooooooooh to revisit the images of that fatal night in a diner with jolly plump chap and a whiskered gherkin

That makes me feel better, how does he keep it looking so good.

Well basically that's why we haven't done any more business this summer, most of our finances have gone towards Salgado's hair products, to be honest though I think it's money well spent. Just look at that cheeky grin and those blonde flowing locks.

God almighty you're really simple.

Real life isn't Football Manager.

Placing players on the transfer list doesn't mean you'll get offers.

The reason why we've managed to offload players today isn't a coincidence, it's because it's the most desperate day of the season.

Every club over the years has appointed a couple of bad managers and made bad signings. But JW has consistently also appointed very good ones who have done wonders on a tiny budget over the years. Our scouts have uncovered countless bargains over the years without which we'd be long gone into the Championship.

Name me a club with such a proud record of great players bought on a shoestring over the last few years?

Name me another club with our budget who has managed 4 top 10 finishes in the last 5 seasons?

I deal in fact and real life and put in 70+ hours a week to earn an annual bottom line of just about two weeks' Premier League wages.

I stand and fall by my own decisions.

The club's short term player plan has failed abysmally - 99% of supporters will agree.

I'm working on the acquisition of a small business for a client, and have worked on others, and can tell you, based upon my experience, that the the club's management of a key activity (player trading) with or without takeover distractions / constraints has been appalling.

It really is very poor the way we've treated Roberts. The fact that he misses chances is an irrelevant fact, he has always given us the best every time he has played, and to tell him he is unneeded and then failing to sell him is just embarrassing.

This has been the worst transfer season I can ever remember us having. We've signed no players before as well, but this time the whole thing seemed like a circus.

If we are going to pick up somebody on a free transfer then I think that we have to do it before 5pm tomorrow, once the 25 man squad is submitted you cannot change it until January. Doesn't stop us from signing someone on a free transfer but they will not be able to play until January.

Unless they're under 21?

"Creative midfielder - nah, we still don't need one of those."

"Strikers - we've got one (Kalinic) what more could you want?"

I hope he is a tough tough lad.

The prospects of Benji and Roberts upfront is horrifying to me.

I can just see Roberts skewing a shot wide into Benjis knee.

rebelmswar. watched you playing for a while.

I am always serious.

I deal in fact and real life and put in 70+ hours a week to earn an annual bottom line of just about two weeks' Premier League wages.

The club's short term player plan has failed abysmally - 99% of supporters will agree.

I'm working on the acquisition of a small business for a client, and have worked on others, and can tell you, based upon my experience, that the the club's management of a key activity (player trading) with or without takeover distractions / constraints has been appalling.

I've said this in the past, but any attempts to compare football clubs with any other business are non starters.

The purchase of Rovers by Ahsan Ali Syed is perhaps comparable as its a strictly business matter, however the world of football transfers there are many other forces at work that simply aren't there in other businesses.

In which other businesses do the majority of revenue go towards it's employees?

That's just one huge difference but I can give you a list as long as my arm. I stand and fall by my own decisions but in the medical profession rather than the business world which isn't my expertise.

However it's so glaringly obvious the amount of differences between the business world and the football world that, since I'm assuming you know a fair amount about the business world, you can't know a great deal about the football world.

In your previous post you slammed JW for the signings of Kevin Davies and Christian Dailly. How about Santa Cruz/Bentley/Warnock/Samba/Nzonzi/McCarthy/Tugay/Friedel etc etc etc. You're looking at this in such a one dimensional view its unreal. Short term player plan???? what??? We have NO MONEY. You cant do much without cash. As somebody who is working on the aquisition of a small business for a client, based on your experience, you should realise that.

You finally get a chance of going out for a birthday meal with the lovely and fragrant Mrs Nicko and find out nothing has still gone through...

Oh dear.

By the way, van der Vaart is happening to Spurs. Harry even tells lies about his lies.

What a game.

I am not a wheeler-dealer.

Now **** off.

[THAT'S A GAG BASED ON THE WONDERFUL SKY INTERVIEW...NOT INTENDED AS A COMMENT AIMED AT ANYONE...]

• Backroom

I do agree that our treatment of Roberts has been poor. I'm far from his biggest fan but he deserves better than his recent treatment.

Saying that, hard to feel too much sympathy knowing his wage -_- all Sam can do now is apologise, give him a squad number and hope he still has the motivation to do well for us on the pitch if and when he's required.

Could be a lot of players not in the 25 man squads, who are going to want to move in January. Some of those players may even be a distraction at their current clubs. The clubs may then want to move them on.

I've said this in the past, but any attempts to compare football clubs with any other business are non starters.

The purchase of Rovers by Ahsan Ali Syed is perhaps comparable as its a strictly business matter, however the world of football transfers there are many other forces at work that simply aren't there in other businesses.

In which other businesses do the majority of revenue go towards it's employees?

That's just one huge difference but I can give you a list as long as my arm. I stand and fall by my own decisions but in the medical profession rather than the business world which isn't my expertise.

However it's so glaringly obvious the amount of differences between the business world and the football world that, since I'm assuming you know a fair amount about the business world, you can't know a great deal about the football world.

I've done consultancy work in the NHS (that was an interesting one) and also at one of Scotland's Prem. clubs (which was also an interesting one) - agree that football has many vagaries / idiosyncracies but the principles in terms of all all organisations, re planning and execution thereof, are not dissimilar. Poor management stands out a mile.

a thing i really don't understand is why didn't we try to sign trezeguet on a free, he left juventus for newly promoted Hercules in spain, surely he would have come to us if we wanted to and clearly he must be better than benji!

His wife is from Alicante, which is where Hercules is from. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have chosen us over them.

Archived