BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Relegation Battle Aftermath

• Backroom

I had a dream last night that going into the last game we were just above Blackpool and they had to better our result to survive and doom us. Similar to 1995 we will do our part but this time it was United who did the business for us.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just listening to Souness co-commentating on the United - Schalke game.

Can't help thinking he'd be great in our current situation.

You wouldn't want to get back into the dressing room with him knowing you haven't got the necessary points from the game.

You wouldn't want to get back into the dressing room with him knowing you haven't got the necessary points from the game.

Football has changed since he packed it all in. Managers who rule with an iron fist are becoming a thing of the past unfortunately. Even Ferguson has learnt that somethimes he needs to give a little love here and there. Player power is just too great nowadays. Shame really.

Agree about Souey waiting in the dreesing room being a scary prospect. Although i think he lost some terror when he shaved the tash. He had that Daniel Day Lewis - Gangs of New York look. Terrifying!!

Re Wolves. I keep saying it, they have many derbies ahead. Regardless of the quality, the fact they are derbies gives the opposition reason to compete. They won't be easy games.

We're not letting matters go due to a lack of effort or discipline.

Souey worked wonders because he had some very talented players at his disposal. Right now we need someone with at least a hint of tactical nous.

We're not letting matters go due to a lack of effort or discipline.

Souey worked wonders because he had some very talented players at his disposal. Right now we need someone with at least a hint of tactical nous.

I'm going to give Souey the benefit of the doubt that he has some tactical nous. Maybe even more than Kean. :rolleyes:

I have Wolves losing this but still staying up. This is one of their hardest fixtures remaining, if not the hardest fixture.

I think you might be forgetting the little matter of the black country derby on the 8th May!

The Baggies would love to help put their arch rivals down.

• Backroom

I hope I have given Wolves too much credit, they aren't a good team at all and confidence is low. However lets not forget one thing that could be crucial, they have a real manager, we have Kean.

I think you might be forgetting the little matter of the black country derby on the 8th May!

The Baggies would love to help put their arch rivals down.

Wolves are at home. They've won 7 games at home this season so far.

Either way, I had that down as a draw and Wolves still staying up. I had them beating us at Molineux though.

I was expecting us to be in the bottom 3 by now with our goal difference advantage wiped out so haven't given up hope yet.

WHU have lost their last 4 conceding 13, Wolves one point from last 4 conceding 11 - they both look shot. Avoid defeat at both then it's a 1 from 3 between us Blackpool and Wigan.

I think the bottom 5 or 6, including us, are all shyte.

At one stage, people thought 40 or even 41 points would be needed.

As no one team seems to be able to win a match let alone gather any momentum (didn't like using that word as one of Donut's), it is not inconceivable that something as low as even 36 points, yes only 1 more point, would be enough to keep us up.

Did anyone see the Wolves game? I noticed Steven Fletcher was taken off due to injury. Did it look serious?

If they lose him as well, they'll have worse options up front than we do..not that he's brilliant, but do they have anyone left?

:lol: Okay - but unless we beat Bolton on Saturday that also means we're going down.

I'm not going to even offer a prediction for that one though. That's even beyond my powers...

Good lad :D

I said a few weeks ago I'm not emotionally involved anymore, but even I'm feeling nervous for Saturday, and its only Tuesday!

if anyone thinks beating bolton on saturday is a forgone conclusion then they really do have their heads in the sand. They are coming into the game on the back of beating one of the big four, they have far better attacking players than rovers and a manager who knows what he is doing. I can see rovers underestimating them on saturday just because of an 'unlucky' near result against big spending man city. Its ok rasing your game against the big boys but its against the rest of the sides that rovers struggle so much against.

As no one team seems to be able to win a match let alone gather any momentum (didn't like using that word as one of Donut's), it is not inconceivable that something as low as even 36 points, yes only 1 more point, would be enough to keep us up.

Problem is all it takes is one lucky win from one of the bottom 3-4 and we are sunk.

I posted along similar lines the other day. Maybe as low as 37 points theoretically I think. I can't see Blackpool getting more than a point or two, nor Wigan, West Ham could be practically dead if we avoid defeat there so possibly none of those will get more than 37 points. Our goal difference is also crucially like an extra point if we can avoid a tonking before the end of the season. Wolves, well they have an attractive looking run in but tonight wasn't an auspicious start.

A key game will be West Ham v Wigan, that match might produce a win for one of them. Can't remember if there are any other games directly involving the bottom five apart from us.

As always in these situations we have to get our own results and can't afford to rely on other teams slipping up though. I've been posting for quite a while that I think 39 points might will be enough. If someone offered a win against Bolton and draws at West Ham and Wolves for 40 points now - I'd snap their hand off at the elbow.

Archived