BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Relegation Battle Aftermath

Unless we get hammered by United, our goal difference will count as an extra point. Therefore, I think one point from our next three could see us safe. Draws in our two away games would almost certainly keep us up.

Today's win was absolutely vital and now I think we'll be OK.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IF Wolves and West Ham lose tomorrow then:

Wolves need 6 points out of 9 to over take us.

West Ham need 7 points out of 9 to over take us.

Wigan and Blackpool need 4 points out of 9 to over take us.

It is looking very positive for us, now lets get the win against West Ham!!

..Problem with this being that if we lose at Wolves and West Ham (both very possible) then obviously it'll be a double whammy. Wolves will then just need 3 points (very doable from their remaining fixtures) and West Ham will need 4 (possible).

I think Blackpool are in deep trouble despite being out of the relegation zone, barring a shock result at OT or WHL they're down...however Man U will have won the title by then and Spurs' season is fizzling out so who knows.

However, under Kean we haven't actually been outright whooped in THAT many games, so I fancy us to take a point in at least one of those games, and that should see us safe.

These are the remaining fixtures for the teams below us,

Tottenham v Blackpool,

Blackpool v Bolton,

Man Utd v Blackpool,

Aston Villa v Wigan,

Wigan v West Ham,

Stoke v Wigan,

Birmingham v Wolverhampton,

Wolverhampton v West Brom,

Sunderland v Wolverhampton,

Wolverhampton v Blackburn,

Man City v West Ham,

West Ham v Blackburn,

Wigan v West Ham,

West Ham v Sunderland,

This is a quick review of each of our relegation rivals remaining fixtures:

Blackpool

Spurs (a) Spurs should win this match because eventough the race for 4th seems to be over for them, they will be looking over their shoulders at Liverpool, knowing if Stoke do beat City in the FA cup final then only 5th place in the league will get into Europe.

Bolton (H) Just like us, Blackpool will see this as their best chance to get points. The result will depend on whether they play the Bolton that beat Arsenal or us!

Man Utd (a) Nobody expects us to get any points against Utd at home and I can't see why Blackpool would have a better chance, even playing against a weakened Utd team.

Wigan

Aston Villa (a) Villa will be wanting to win this game to give them any chance of a top half finish, bearing in mind that their last two games are Arsenal and Liverpool this might be the last points they get this season.

West Ham (H) The best result for us and the worst result for both teams would be a draw. Depending on how the results have gone prior to this game could mean West Ham could already be relegated. I've a feeling this will be a lot like our game against Brum, were both sides are too scared to lose.

Stoke (a) Stoke is not usually a good place to visit, will it be party time with Stoke celebrating winning the cup or will Stoke be looking to bounce back from a FA cup heartbreak?

Wolverhampton

Birmingham (a) The 'Big Club' will feel that they could be dragged back into relegation fight with our win. A win in this game should see them safe against a team demoralised after losing 3-0 against Stoke.

West Brom (H) The big 'Black Country' derby, wouldn't the Baggies just love to put a nail in Wolves relegation battle. To use a comparison, this would be like us playing Burnley and helping them get relegated.

Sunderland (a) This could be a game in which Wolves could possibly get points against a team with nothing to play for, they will be wanting to win their last home game of the season to help erase their current run of bad form.

West Ham

Man City (a) City will be looking to this game to cement their 4th place position and maybe even catch a faltering Arsenal side.

Blackburn (H) Not lost to Rovers si......I think we all know the rest!

Wigan (a) The best result for us and the worst result for both teams would be a draw. Depending on how the results have gone prior to this game could mean West Ham could already be relegated. I've a feeling this will be a lot like our game against Brum, were both sides are too scared to lose.

Sunderland (H) This game is another in which West Ham will be looking for points but could already be relegated by this point.

Good breakdown Rovgers, life seems to be better this morning. I am ignoring all the negativity about Kean and the way we apparenty played as what matters most is 3 points, I think 38 points is enough to survive this season but I would like to go to Molineux with my Wolves mate knowing we have survived. Looking at the table anything up to 12th is possible which would be remarkable considering our run of form.

As counter-intuitive as it sounds, Imy, I'd hate to finish 12th. It could be very bad for the club.

16th I'd be very pleased with.

Yes, I know about the rankings money but I'd rather lose that than have Venkys think Kean deserves another season.

We are going to find out a lot about Venkys intentions this Summer. I just hope it's not speculation driven to sell season tickets!

Good breakdown Rovgers, life seems to be better this morning. I am ignoring all the negativity about Kean and the way we apparenty played as what matters most is 3 points, I think 38 points is enough to survive this season but I would like to go to Molineux with my Wolves mate knowing we have survived. Looking at the table anything up to 12th is possible which would be remarkable considering our run of form.

If we finish 12th (very big if) you'll be able to ignore all the negativity about Kean next season as well.

Just a prediction, if we do stay up we'll kick off next season with Steve Kean still in charge.

I fear the same.

On a side-note, we arent safe yet, but draw at West Ham next week after West Ham and Wolves both lose today and we could very well be.

Today's games will have a big bearing on how many points are going to be needed for survival. If both West Ham and Wolves lose then possible 1 more point will be enough for Rovers (as long as we retain our superior goal difference), as that would leave West Ham needing 7 points from 9 to get past us, Wolves needing 6 points from 9 to get past us. That then would leave Blackpool and Wigan, again if we retain our goal difference and get 1 point that would then need both Wigan and Blackpool to get 4 points from 9 to get past us.

It's all if's, but's and maybe's but let's hope that results go our way today.

Next week is going to be very tough, West Ham will see that game as do or die for them (if they lose to City today), they have 4 forwards who would walk in our team (Cole, Piquonne(sp), Kean and Ba) and our record at Upton Park is horrendous, on the plus side Rovers players will have belief from the game yesterday and if we can keep it tight then West Ham will get nervous and we maybe able to knick a result. I am hoping that Man Utd get 4 points from their next 2 games that will seal the Premier League for them and reach the Champions League final, of course it will still be a very tough game for Rovers but might make things just a little bit easier. Then finally it is onto the Wolves game, if we still need a result going into the game then god help us, especially if Wolves have already been relegated, I just don't think that we have players who will be able to cope with a pressure of a "do or die" situation like that.

If we finish 12th (very big if) you'll be able to ignore all the negativity about Kean next season as well.

We finished 10th last season and you did the same regrading Allardyce :o

47er- hope not as I don't expect Kean here next season. You'll notice a number of posters have given Kean credit for the victory but don't want him here. I'm just happy we won, nothing else matters at this moment in time, it's been that long I want to savour this!!

Grateful for the three points yesterday (even if it was against a weakened and perhaps de-moralised Bolton with nothing to play for).

Still greatly concerned about the future, even if we do stay up (and let's face it, we may still go down). Our squad is mainly poor with the odd decent player, it remains to be seen how transfers are being funded, some of the transfers in have been questionable (only Jermain Jones has been decent, so that's a 25% success rate. And just how much are we paying Santa Cruz?) We have owners who really are at the extreme end of the clueless spectrum, and a toady of a manager who's way out of his depth.

Things will have to change substantially or staying up this season will merely be a stay of execution.

Grateful for the three points yesterday (even if it was against a weakened and perhaps de-moralised Bolton with nothing to play for).

Still greatly concerned about the future, even if we do stay up (and let's face it, we may still go down). Our squad is mainly poor with the odd decent player, it remains to be seen how transfers are being funded, some of the transfers in have been questionable (only Jermain Jones has been decent, so that's a 25% success rate. And just how much are we paying Santa Cruz?) We have owners who really are at the extreme end of the clueless spectrum, and a toady of a manager who's way out of his depth.

Things will have to change substantially or staying up this season will merely be a stay of execution.

Just to point out, we were also weakened, and our players must be very demoralized.

But I agree, it's very concerning that we could end up back to square one even if we stay up. It could be another terrible season with a manager that shows some promise with his ethos of positive football, but is obviously way out of his depth in the EPL. Mistakes he is being punished for would be just another small lesson learned in the lower leagues. And his transfer market dealings has to be questioned, especially as he's said he wants to sign Santa Cruz permanently! :wacko:

I'm trying to block it out by thinking of the three points we could quite easily not have managed to get yesterday! :rover:

Archived