BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Relegation Battle Aftermath

Fair comment. (Although I disagree we "struggled" to beat Bolton, steadier finishing and final ball and it could have been a cricket score)

I'd much rather be in our position than any of theirs though and having got the monkey of the winless run off our backs I think the boot is somewhat on the other foot and all the pressure is on those other Clubs.

I realise that sounds somewhat complacent, it's not meant too but hopefully the worst is behind us.

The whole thing's still too close for comfort.

The West Ham game will be like sitting ona bacon slicer.

But the three points from yesterday will obviously help.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fixtures to come could hardly have been better scripted by Sky for guaranteed last day excitement. I too have just spent 20 minutes studying the BBC predictor & there's no getting away from the fact that it's imperative to stop West Ham & Wolves from gaining maximum points against us. I think 40 points will be the cut off.

Crazy things happen at this stage of the season - ManU gave Hull a point to keep them up last day a couple of years back & ManU have Blackpool last day this season (with a Euro final the week after in all probability- the same scenario as when they played Hull !).

Sunderland have to play West Ham & Wolves & at the moment that looks like the easiest 3 points in the league.

Ultimately it's in our own hands & that has got to be the best position to be in regardless of upcoming opponents.

If we lose to both West Ham & Wolves then frankly we will only have ourselves to blame......or Venky's.... :unsure:

I would say a point from Wham and Wolves, or one win from those two games will see us safe. Anything less, which is definitely possible will see us in real danger. We're still on a knife edge.

As I see it relegation is Blackpool plus Wigan or Wham plus Wolves or Rovers. Pool are doomed unless they pick up a surprise point at either Spurs or Man U. If Wigan beat Wham they can only get to 38 points with an inferior goal difference (provided Rovers defeat at Upton Park is a narrow one and we don't lose by bucketloads against a Man U that would need goal difference to win the title if they lose to Chelsea ). Even if Wigan beat Wham to overtake Rovers they would need to take at least a point at Villa or Stoke (quite possible as on the last day of the season Stoke will be post-Final disinterested). That leaves the final place between Wolves and Rovers. It might well be Wolves will have 39 points by the start as WBA (home) and Sunderland (away) both look very winnable. The only scenario that 38 points will be enough is if Wham lose at Wigan who themselves lose both away games (as do Blackpool).

sunderland have to play West Ham & Wolves & at the moment that looks like the easiest 3 points in the league.

Agree on that : we really need Sunderland to show some better form.

West Ham and Wolves will see six points from that fixture and the games against Rovers as the matches that could save them - which could send the Lancashire trio of us, Blackpool and Wigan down.

Imperative we take a point from West Ham or Wolves, preferably both.

• Backroom

I would say a point from Wham and Wolves, or one win from those two games will see us safe. Anything less, which is definitely possible will see us in real danger. We're still on a knife edge.

I would agree with this although we have to remember if we were fans of Wigan or Bolton or similar we would no doubt be saying, Blackburn have winnable games at West Ham and Wolves whereas we can't buy a win.

If we get a point at weekend and other teams fail to win I think that will be enough there or there abouts.

Next weeks fixtures:

Saturday, 7 May 2011

Aston Villa v Wigan, 15:00

Newcastle v Birmingham, 15:00

West Ham v Blackburn, 15:00

Tottenham v Blackpool, 17:30

Sunday, 8 May 2011

Wolverhampton v West Brom, 12:00

Villa are obviously beatable but we wouldn't fancy our chances there, Newcastle isn't an easy place to go for Brum and White Hart Lane ditto. I would expect Wolves to win but even if West Ham beat us and Wolves won and the others lost we would be near enough in the same postion as before yesterday with 2 games less left.

The teams in the bottom 3 are in dire form at the moment, Blackpool too, they have won few games in the entire season so what makes people think that they will suddenly get 6/7 points from 9??

Also keep hearing that other teams are desperate for points...yeah so are we and we have done something that teams in the bottom have not done...started to win. I would take our position above any in the bottom 5.

The teams in the bottom 3 are in dire form at the moment, Blackpool too, they have won few games in the entire season so what makes people think that they will suddenly get 6/7 points from 9??

Also keep hearing that other teams are desperate for points...yeah so are we and we have done something that teams in the bottom have not done...started to win. I would take our position above any in the bottom 5.

Ofcourse you would we are top of the bottom 5 lol

Good points though, everyone is just worried

As stated above, West Ham and Wolves both have to play Sunderland and Rovers, two matches which they will be targetting for 6 points and safety.

I know they are both struggling but they are both also capable of winning on their day. West Ham especially have some dangerous players.

So it's easy to see a scenario in which they get 6 points and Rovers get none.

i cant see Blackpool getting more than 3 points, from their final 3. West Ham are 6 points behind us, and the will have to beat us to have any chance of staying up. a point for us, would mean Wham cannot overtake us, unless they win their last 2 and we lose heavily in our last 2.

As stated above, West Ham and Wolves both have to play Sunderland and Rovers, two matches which they will be targetting for 6 points and safety.

I know they are both struggling but they are both also capable of winning on their day. West Ham especially have some dangerous players.

The most important point Jim is that we are SIX points clear of West Ham and FOUR points clear of Wolves and with three games left and NINE points to play for we are in an excellent position and have won giving us huge confidence.

This must be a huge surprise to you anyway Jim as you had us relegated weeks ago lol.

Excellent analysis.

I can get just as easily see Rovers picking up 6 from those two matches. :rover:

Will Hoilett be fit for WHam?

After the delirium of yesterday, I think things have taken a turn for the worse for Rovers today.

West Ham - for them next week, they are exactly where we were yesterday pre the match. Our record is lousy there, it will be a full house, hostile and intimidating and in their last two matches (Chelsea & City away), they've not played badly and with some rub of the green............. Can't see anything for us.

Or it could be a case of the West Ham players thinking "we've no chance with our luck, play well and still don't get anything"

Manure - after today's defeat, they CANNOT secure the title before our match. That is the last thing we needed. Fergie would luv it to humiliate Rovers and exact retribution for Sam.

A point against us will give them the title, I don't mind celebrating with utd fans (if we get a point). I also think that Fergie would rather have his players fit for a possible final against Barca than worrying about Big Sam

Brum - now have one point more than us.

Most people were hoping for Birmingham to win today, so I don't really think they're in the equation

Wolves - two home wins against WBA & us (or even a point against WBA) and we are gone.

Oh yes, WBA, I think the Baggies will be up for winning this game as much as we should be

I think we need two more points - a huge ask.

I'll never accuse anybody of being a dingle but my word man you are one major pessimist!

I agree with Jim, the West Ham game is going to be very tough, for them it really is do or die, what worries me most is that they have some very dangerous strikers who on their day can cause any side problems. It is imperative that Rovers don't concede the first goal, the West Ham crowd will be "up for it" and you can see them really going for it. If we can keep it tight, they will start to get nervous and then we can start to hit them on the break. The defensive unit is going to be key and messers J.Jones and N'Zonzi will have huge roles to play.

What we also need is a result from the United v Chelsea game, a United win and they will come to Ewood knowing that a point will get them the title or a Chelsea win will mean then yes it will be harder for us but United will also then have to play a full strength side against Blackpool and will see that as an ideal opportunity to improve their goal difference.

If it does then go to the Wolves game well then anything could happen, that will be a one off game and the team who can handle the immense pressure will most likely win that, big problem for me is that I have zero confidence in our manager being able to handle that kinda situation whereas McCarthy despite his limitations has all the credentials to be able to cope with such a situation.

The win yesterday was huge but this battle is far from over, we need players to show the same fight that they have done over the last two home games.

If we can keep it tight, they will start to get nervous and then we can start to hit them on the break.

Definitely the way to go. A draw is no good to them, if we can keep it tight at the back they'll start to take massive risks and inevitably give us opportunities.

They are appalling defensively, especially from set pieces, so 4-5-1 with our physical players in should be the way to go in his one.

Robinson

Salgado Samba Jones Givet

Emerton Jones N'Zonzi Pedersen Olsson

Anyone

I reckon that would stifle them and get at least one goal from set pieces.

Definitely the way to go. A draw is no good to them, if we can keep it tight at the back they'll start to take massive risks and inevitably give us opportunities.

They are appalling defensively, especially from set pieces, so 4-5-1 with our physical players in should be the way to go in his one.

Robinson

Anyone

Bloody hell, I hope that's not the team that turns out. You've just ruined my day. Looks like we'll have to beat the red rats after all.

Bloody hell, I hope that's not the team that turns out. You've just ruined my day. Looks like we'll have to beat the red rats after all.

If Hoilett's fit he can play on the right if that makes you feel any better!

Not what I'd consider to be our best team by the way, but I think that would give us the best chance to get a win at a ground where we usually struggle.

Robinson

Anyone

If Hoilett is fit, he has to play.You seem to be relying on us keeping a clean sheet via pure defence. We have to carry some forward threat as well.

Fair comment. (Although I disagree we "struggled" to beat Bolton, steadier finishing and final ball and it could have been a cricket score)

I'd much rather be in our position than any of theirs though and having got the monkey of the winless run off our backs I think the boot is somewhat on the other foot and all the pressure is on those other Clubs.

I realise that sounds somewhat complacent, it's not meant too but hopefully the worst is behind us.

Yep--I agree with that. The only caveat I've got on my mind is our away form. Suppose we play like we did at Everton and that's our most recent game away! No-one said the lads were playing for Kean then.

Salgado/Emerton - Samba - P. Jones - Givet

- - Hoilett - J. Jones - N'Zonzi - Olsson

- - - - M. Diouf - - Kalinic - -

4-4-2

If Salgado is fit, he starts if only because I'm confident he'll give it a 110% and win kicks. If not, then Emerton covers for it. He's was actually fairly good at RB during yesterday's match so one way or the other our defense is fine.

J. Jones and N'Zonzi have to start. They're aggressive, break up the opposition attack, and both looked threatening against Bolton from time to time. We need more of that without the missing.

Hoillett and Olsson are obvious starters. With the two of them in the game, I like our odds of winning. A threat on either wing will give us much needed bite.

Hoilett to take the free kicks.

I liked what M. Diouf and Kalinic were doing on the pitch yesterday. M. Diouf's speed, with Olsson and Kalinic, really opened things up. And yes, M. Diouf flubbed a sitter, but at least he was there to flub it. Roberts seemed paralyzed half the time and never moved forward when he should have (such as when N'Zonzi got the ball in the box and put it on the ground 6' in front of him).

And from what I could see from Kalinic, he was taking instructions, tracking back and, in general, they were both playing both sides of the pitch like proper footballers. Both Kalinic has 3 and MD only has 2 games left in the season and I think these young men have everything to prove. Kalinic needs to prove his detractors wrong and, potentially, woo other clubs if he's truly ######. Plus his one shot was an absolute scorcher (if into the hands of the keeper). M. Diouf only has 2 matches before he vanishes into the ranks of ManU, were he won't have much chance to shine. If he wants to make his mark, this will be his opportunity.

I definitely don't want to see Roberts falling down and grinning. I think I'd throw a brick at my TV. We need speed, aggression, quick thinking and fearlessness/desperation. IMO, the above squad gives us what we need in spades and may well relegate WHam. Which would be very nice, considering past history. :brfcsmilie:

my concern is if we go to this game with the intention of getting a draw as I believe this is a sure fire way of getting beat. I personally would consider playing just the 1 striker and having the Jones and Nzonzi partnership breaking up play and driving forward given the oppertunity and someone playing a more attacking role be it Rochina, Dunn or Hoilett. Id suggest a striker but our options are limited to Kalinic who does not suit the lone striker role, Santa whos off pace and been a massive disapointment or one from Benjani/Roberts and lets face it they aint going to offer much unless theres a deflection off Jason's Arse into the net. Im tempted to say play Rochina just so he can run at them in the more attacking midfield role instead of Dunn but if thats the case I think you need to play Roberts as the lone striker I also think its not the sort of game you want to risk playing Rochina due to the fact hes still learning the game and league.

As I see it relegation is Blackpool plus Wigan or Wham plus Wolves or Rovers. Pool are doomed unless they pick up a surprise point at either Spurs or Man U. If Wigan beat Wham they can only get to 38 points with an inferior goal difference (provided Rovers defeat at Upton Park is a narrow one and we don't lose by bucketloads against a Man U that would need goal difference to win the title if they lose to Chelsea ). Even if Wigan beat Wham to overtake Rovers they would need to take at least a point at Villa or Stoke (quite possible as on the last day of the season Stoke will be post-Final disinterested). That leaves the final place between Wolves and Rovers. It might well be Wolves will have 39 points by the start as WBA (home) and Sunderland (away) both look very winnable. The only scenario that 38 points will be enough is if Wham lose at Wigan who themselves lose both away games (as do Blackpool).

The way WBA are playing I'd say Wolves have a very tough match there. Given the rivalry WBA will be busting a gut in that game.

The way WBA are playing I'd say Wolves have a very tough match there. Given the rivalry WBA will be busting a gut in that game.

Living in the area I find it rather amusing how all the pecemists in here think WBA will be an easy game for wolves.

WBA fans will be hoping to send their arch rivals down, Roy Hogson is no fool and will understand the sentiment hanging on the game, wolves will be lucky to come away with a point, nevermind all three.

Looking at Birmingham's fixtures they are by no mean's safe. Fulham is their last home game and they are in terrific form. The other games (Newcastle away/Spurs away) they couldn't have much confidence in either.

They could easily get 1 point from those 3 games or even 0! (fingers crossed).

Archived