BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Relegation Battle Aftermath

we are safe now unless we take a battering from wolves and both Birmingham and blackpool win....

we are very very lucky

/>.......errrrr, I think you need to look at the league table. If Rovers don't beat Wolves then Wolves, Blackpool, Birmingham and even Wigan can all finish above us meaning we are relegated.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we are very very lucky

No we're not, if we do stay up it's because we've accumulated enough points over 38 games to stay in the Premier League. We will deserve it. And to be fair we've shown great spirit and resolve in the last four games.

If we go down it's because we weren't good enough over the season and didn't accumulate enough points.

Its worth noting though that if we were to win at Wolves that would only leave us about four points away from the sort of 47 point mark we were headed for under Sam based on his seventeen games and I certainly wouldn't class us as "lucky" if we stay up bearing in mind that last year 3rd bottom went down with 31 points.

We also certainly haven't had the rub of the green with refereeing decisions in the second half of the season. Quickly off the top of my head yesterday (2 points) Blackpool (2 points) Birmingham (2 points) Fulham (1 point) There may be others but if just some of those decisions had gone our way we'd be very comfortable by now.

So whilst if we go down it's our fault, I certainly wouldn't say we've been "lucky" if we stay up.

I seem to recall United's reserve team dicking Schalke 4-1, I won't be losing any sleep over Blackpool.

It'll take a hell of a lot of results to go against us next week for us to go down, mark my words it won't happen

That last sentence could come back to haunt you because it could easily happen.

If we go down it's because we weren't good enough over the season and didn't accumulate enough points.

We were doing fine up until December, the problem has been since Kean took over.

Great to see you take a Tongue in cheek in comment and suggest it's aggro, you really need to get out more...

I've been telling him that for a while Imy,

47er is a troll by all accounts, not sure what that is, but the PM I just received says he is one, so hay ho :lol:

No we're not, if we do stay up it's because we've accumulated enough points over 38 games to stay in the Premier League. We will deserve it. And to be fair we've shown great spirit and resolve in the last four games.

Its worth noting though that if we were to win at Wolves that would only leave us about four points away from the sort of 47 point mark we were headed for under Sam based on his seventeen games and I certainly wouldn't class us as "lucky" if we stay up bearing in mind that last year 3rd bottom went down with 31 points.

We also certainly haven't had the rub of the green with refereeing decisions in the second half of the season. Quickly off the top of my head yesterday (2 points) Blackpool (2 points) Birmingham (2 points) Fulham (1 point) There may be others but if just some of those decisions had gone our way we'd be very comfortable by now.

So whilst if we go down it's our fault, I certainly wouldn't say we've been "lucky" if we stay up.

Yeah Blackpool have had more penalties in two minutes of one game than we've had all season.( I think ). We haven't been blessed with much luck this season, let's hope we get a seasons worth next Sunday.

As one who remembers 4 relegations whilst watching Rovers what ever happens next Sunday at least we've made a fight of it this time. Previous relegations in the main have been pretty embarrassing.

To the guys who are saying we should have chased the game at the end yesterday, get real guys we're playing the champions elect, the European Cup finalists and probably the best counter attacking team in the league. Not forgetting there's a guy out there who seemed to be only too willing to give them whatever they needed to win the game. A point was great, it may be the point that keeps us up. If it isn't we didn't get relegated because we only drew with the red rats at home, that's for sure.

We were doing fine up until December, the problem has been since Kean took over.

He got things spot on yesterday though Jim, I'm sure you'll agree, that’s a rarity against United, if a slightly unusual situation with them only needing a draw.

He got things spot on yesterday though Jim, I'm sure you'll agree, that's a rarity against United, if a slightly unusual situation with them only needing a draw.

Damage has been done, not enough wins since he took over.

Thing is today's games are pretty massive for us, could make things look a bit more positive from our perspective - however I think, at the moment points wise, we are closer to the bottom 3 than we ever have been this season.

He shouldn't be in the job, that much we agree on. To expect him to have more wins under his belt in the toughest league in the world with his lack of experience is unreasonable.

Apparently, some in game consider him to be a promising coach/manager. For me he's shown enough of late and improved sufficiently to suggest that may be the case.

Fulham drew at Wolves.

Everyone was saying SAF would be out to get us for his mate Sam, does that mean Hughes will be out to get Brum to help us?

I'm feeling positive about today. I hope by the end of the day we will be grateful for the point yesterday.

Apparently, some in game consider him to be a promising coach/manager. For me he's shown enough of late and improved sufficiently to suggest that may be the case.

I think we'll be praying for this come the summer.

I think we'll be praying for this come the summer.

Well if that’s the case Topman I think we have a few things to be optimistic about, its not all doom and gloom that’s for sure.

Still, I'm sure we all hope a new manager will be appointed before the start of next season.

Well if that’s the case Topman I think we have a few things to be optimistic about, its not all doom and gloom that’s for sure.

Still, I'm sure we all hope a new manager will be appointed before the start of next season.

I agree, it hasn't been as apocalyptic as some of the scaremongers would have you believe. Of course, I'd like to be saying this with PL safety in the bag, but I think Kean has shown signs that he can mature into a manager and he's kept the dressing room where others (more experienced than him) have failed.

I'd much rather he learned his trade elsewhere to be honest.

True, but I think Venky's will give him another season. They appear quite taken with him and we still don't know how much influence JA is having behind the scenes. So if that's the case, we just have to lie back and hope for the best.

Big day. Need two results to go our way, which would ease a little bit of our worries. Or at the very least not make things more complicated.

I'm not expecting much from the Big Club -Fulham game, Fulham's away record is shocking especially given the players they've got. Just two wins from their last thirty six away games ! You never know though and a draw would keep Big Club below us on goal difference with an away game at Spurs to come, nervous time for them as well. I can see West Ham getting something at Wigan, even a draw would be great for us. So there we go, my heart says two draws, my head says Big Club home win and a draw at Wigan.

Regardless of the results today, we will at the very least go into the last weekend knowing that Blackpool need a unlikely win at Old Trafford to overtake us and Wigan need to beat Stoke, even if one of these results is going against us then as long as we are not losing at Wolves we will be fine. The way people are talking about Wolves, you would be mistaken into thinking that we are facing Barcelona at the Nou Camp. If Rovers are as organised as we have been in the last four games (in a defensive sense) then we have in Junior and Ollson players who can cause Wolves a lot of problems, especially if they have to push forward to try and win the game.

Of course if Wigan fail to beat WHU and Birmingham lose to Fulham then we are in an even stronger position, but if these results don't happen then our destiny is firmly in our own hands. I still think that Kean is not the man to take the club forward in the long term, but at least the signs since the City game is that he has found a shape and a way of playing which the players are comfortable with.

Interesting seeing what mood West Ham are in tomorrow, they looked pretty down and out last weekend so with today's results hope they are not too deflated.

This is the big risk. They will know that the game is virtually up for them and if news filters through that Brum are 1 or 2 up against Fulham then they might not even bother at all. By all accounts, Wigan are a 'close' camp whilst we heard all about the lack of harmony in WHAM's before they played us. Whelan is a canny bloke and it would not surprise me at all if he hasn't chucked £5 million on the table and simply said "right lads, 2 wins and it's yours".

This is the big risk. They will know that the game is virtually up for them and if news filters through that Brum are 1 or 2 up against Fulham then they might not even bother at all. By all accounts, Wigan are a 'close' camp whilst we heard all about the lack of harmony in WHAM's before they played us. Whelan is a canny bloke and it would not surprise me at all if he hasn't chucked £5 million on the table and simply said "right lads, 2 wins and it's yours".

You obviously don't know much about Whelan. I work with Wiganners, that won't happen.

• Backroom

You obviously don't know much about Whelan. I work with Wiganners, that won't happen.

It's his latest in a string of total nonsense.

It's his latest in a string of total nonsense.

Whelan is looking to sell Wigan. He knows that he can protect his 'investment' better if they are in the PL and he will be far less likely to have to dig deeper into his pockets.

Cost of £5m or the loss of tens of millions next season and possibly for years to come.

A no brainer!

Whelan is looking to sell Wigan. He knows that he can protect his 'investment' better if they are in the PL and he will be far less likely to have to dig deeper into his pockets.

Cost of £5m or the loss of tens of millions next season and possibly for years to come.

A no brainer!

But not going to happen. There are very strict reward structures and rules that this would break and the club would be penalised massivly.

A no brainer!

Archived