BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Relegation Battle Aftermath

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Just had a look at the table and this is what I've made of it to give me some confidence.

Wigan have to beat Stoke away. Stoke have only lost 4 at home, winning 10 games, whereas Wigan have only won 3 away from home.

Blackpool have to beat United away. United have not lost all season at Old Trafford.

Birmingham have to beat Spurs. Spurs have only lost one game this season at home. Birmingham have only won 2 away games this season, the joint least with West Ham.

Confident?

No

Simply because this season has been ridiculous, we were looking safe 77 minutes into the game at Upton Park, then 75 minutes into yesterdays game and then nearly there 93 minutes into the Wigan - Wham game, each time we have been thrust back into the blender.

If I was a neutral I'd probably say Birmingham and Blackpool will join Wham but as a Rovers fan and knowing what they do to us I am far from confident of survival, I imagine if we do it we'll do it like we won the league in 95, only this time we'll lose and be praying for a United win.

We have to treat it as a must win game. 4-4-2 then if results start going our way we can shut up shop later on.

No Simon. You have this idea that 4-4-2 is a more attacking formation than 4-5-1, which it isn't. If we'd played 4-4-2 yesterday, we'd probably have lost. If we go to Wolves and lose the midfield battle, we'll get beat.

Most people are counting out teams drawing by the looks of things.

draws in the other games wont effect us, thanks to goal difference. - well unless Wolves beat us by 6 or more

No Simon. You have this idea that 4-4-2 is a more attacking formation than 4-5-1, which it isn't. If we'd played 4-4-2 yesterday, we'd probably have lost. If we go to Wolves and lose the midfield battle, we'll get beat.

And you seem to have this idea that 4-5-1 works for every team. It doesn't. You need the players to play that system.

How many games have we won under Kean playing 4-5-1? None. How many games have we won under Kean with two up front? Four.Switch back to 4-4-2 and we were extremely unlucky against Citeh and beat Bolton. Switch back to 4-5-1 and two decent displays but no victories.

The stats or evidence are surely irrefutable.

Teet - did you sell your ticket for the Man U game too?

A lot of people back against there team so when it doesn't come off they are not bothered, or if you go on a away day and you lose it can pay for the day. I am not one of these people but know a few people who do it.

Fair enough, I underestimated Fulham and also Hughes getting a reaction from his players (plus how much they wanted to win) - watched his post match press conference just there.

Fair enough, I underestimated Fulham and also Hughes getting a reaction from his players (plus how much they wanted to win) - watched his post match press conference just there.

Who can predict anything this season though

Teet - did you sell your ticket for the Man U game too?

Didnt have one to sell. Couldnt afford a season ticket with my expanding family this season. However, if we win im delighted. If we lose and go down the winnings go towards my season ticket next year. That acceptable for you?

How many games have we won under Kean playing 4-5-1? None. How many games have we won under Kean with two up front? Four.Switch back to 4-4-2 and we were extremely unlucky against Citeh and beat Bolton. Switch back to 4-5-1 and two decent displays but no victories.

Personally I would say that our players better suit 4231 than 442.

1) Our strikers are rubbish. Why play more rubbish players that you have to?

2) 4231 lets Hoilett and Olsson, essentially our only decent attacking threats (well apart from Emerton who in the last two games who has started looking strangely brilliant), get forward more

Also - the 3-1 away win at WBA we played 4231 not 442.

Didnt have one to sell. Couldnt afford a season ticket with my expanding family this season. However, if we win im delighted. If we lose and go down the winnings go towards my season ticket next year. That acceptable for you?

I do not understand why people do this, makes no sense to me whatsoever Would feel totally cheated winning money out of going against my own team. Was tempted to bet against England not winning the World Cup because their odds where silly short but couldn't bring myself do it. Each to their own I guess.

Wouldn't like to be relying on other teams to be honest, we get a draw or more and we are safe simple. We lose and it becomes a bit more complicated both Wigan and Blackpool surely have a better chance of winning than normal against Man United and Stoke due to both teams having nothing to play for whilst Birmingham have a trip to Tottenham who do still have 5th to play for. We are certainly in the best position out of the five but still going to be nervy as hell.

We will be safe.

Birmingham will not win at Spurs, who have everything to play for. Maybe a shock-draw, but that won't help them past us.

Blackpool might get a shock-draw at Old Trafford

Wigan could get a result at Stoke. Although, if they play there like they played the first half today vs WHU, Stoke will kill them off. They play for their own fans, have had a great season, but lost the final so probably will give it a go.

If we get a draw at Wolves, we're safe, I can't see Brum, Bpool and Wigan all win. And even if we lose, I don't see 2 out of those 3 getting past us. I think we're safe.

Totallly unacceptable!

One love BRFC

Complete no brainer, very wise Hemel.

We will be safe.

Birmingham will not win at Spurs, who have everything to play for. Maybe a shock-draw, but that won't help them past us.

Blackpool might get a shock-draw at Old Trafford

Wigan could get a result at Stoke. Although, if they play there like they played the first half today vs WHU, Stoke will kill them off. They play for their own fans, have had a great season, but lost the final so probably will give it a go.

If we get a draw at Wolves, we're safe, I can't see Brum, Bpool and Wigan all win. And even if we lose, I don't see 2 out of those 3 getting past us. I think we're safe.

That's my thinking as well. The potential "draw" at Wolves won't make any difference though. I just can't see the results going against us to that degree.

I think we're safe too. Even if we lose at Wolves, I don't think results will go the way they need to for us to go down. Birmingham are in shocking form with a bad injury list and are so far off the boil at the moment, they have passed the opportunity to tie up their safety for the last five games or so.

Ferguson is too close with all Martinez, McCleish and McCarthy to put out such a poor team. Besides, United are at Old Trafford and will be celebrating their title, I can't see them getting beat with the excitement around Old Trafford on the day especially with a Champions League final still to play.

So, that's one reason why I think we'll be safe.

The second reason is because the fans will give their all to the cause down at Molineux and certainly against West Ham, that made a huge difference to the players. It really helped to spur them on and with 2,800 heading down, we will make ourselves known, no doubt about that.

The third reason is because Kean, all of a sudden, seems to have finally become more tactically astute - in my opinion, since the Man City game. On recent form, I have every reason to believe he will approach this game in a suitable manner.

Fourthly, I know Wolves are in some good form but they've been playing sides who have nothing to play for - wait until they play us, and besides which, we're a better team than them.

I do think Kean needs to go in the summer but I also feel he has somehow managed to keep us up this year. Somehow....

Interesting point just raised GD is getting tight near the bottom, if it is level on GD then its goals scored....which Blackpool far outweigh any of those teams near the bottom

Blackburn -14

Wolves -19

Birmingham -20

Blackpool -21

Wigan -22

So Blackpool could possibly lose and still escape, despite being in the bottom 3 now :wacko: - They just need Wigan to get beat & Birmingham to lose by 1 goal more than them.

What's all this we only need a draw business. We need a draw and one result to go our way, the way this season has been we can't rely on other teams cocking up for us

Totally agree. I'd not risk the other teams not getting anything truth be told. Blackpool and Wigan have both shown that they can pull off good/shock results and brum also aren't totally useless. Added in the fact that two relegation places are up for grabs AND the fact that Wolves will be highly up for it (a draw is less of a guarentee of safety for them than it is us) and I'm feeling rather nervous about the weekend. This has been the most unpredictable season in a long time, and I'm a lot less confident about things going as they logically should this year than in years past.

Having said that, it is still in our own hands and there's a decent shout for us to stay up. Heck, we're a better team than Wolves imo, and the opportunity to make sure we're certainly safe should motivate and spur us on for all 3 pts.

And you seem to have this idea that 4-5-1 works for every team. It doesn't. You need the players to play that system.

We had the players yesterday to play 4-5-1 Rev. You need the players to play 4-4-2 also.

There is no evidence that any result is because of the formation Rev. So many factors to take into account during a game such as - how did the formation change during the game, what formation the opposition played, the form tables at the time, refereeing decisions in these games, luck, injuries to either team, missed chances,defensive mistakes, - we could go on for ever.

Yesterday, we made United struggle to create anything, by getting players in numbers, between the ball and our back four. United simply couldn't find the space to create chances. I'm as sure as I could be, that if we had played only four in midfield they would have created plenty of chances. With Rooney dropping back as he did most of the game, coupled with the fact that any one of their back four players could have stepped into midfield when they had posession, they would have had 5 or 6 players in the middle of the park. We wouldn't have had a sniff.

I certainly wouldn't play 4-5-1 every game, but against the big sides and games away from home, I would go 4-5-1 yes.

Still, let's not divert this thread too far. Kean has no option other than to go for a win. That's something he hasn't had to do yet. Let's hope he knows what he's doing.

You need the players to play 4-4-2 also.

There is no evidence that any result is because of the formation Rev. So many factors to take into account during a game such as - how did the formation change during the game, what formation the opposition played, the form tables at the time, refereeing decisions in these games, luck, injuries to either team, missed chances,defensive mistakes, - we could go on for ever.

Yesterday, we made United struggle to create anything, by getting players in numbers, between their midfielders and the ball. United simply couldn't find the space to create chances. I'm as sure as I could be, that if we had played only four in midfield they would have created plenty of chances. With Rooney dropping back as he did most of the game, coupled with the fact that any one of their back four players could have stepped into midfield when they had posession, they would have had 5 or 6 players in the middle of the park. We wouldn't have had a sniff.

I certainly wouldn't play 4-5-1 every game, but against the big sides and games away from home, I would go 4-5-1 yes.

Still, let's not divert this thread too far. Are you going?

That was exactly how the sky commentary team saw it as well. They were impressed by how we set up and how we limited Utd to sp few chances. They didn't play well because we didn't let them.

Our first priority is to limit Wolves chances of scoring, if Wolves become more desperate we can catch them on the break.

I don't think we will lose at Wolves.

Archived