BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sam Allardyce Messiah or simply a good manager?

imy9

Still don't think we would have been relegated with him in charge, .

We were in freefall under Souness in much the same way we are under Kean now. We were heading for relegation without a doubt. Williams was under pressure to sack Souness and should have done sooner but was relieved of the decision when Souness unexpectedly jumped ship to Newcastle. Fantastic few years under Souness including Cardiff but he had seriously lost the plot in the end.

Unfair to compare Sam to the Souness and Hughes because Sam had big plans for Rovers that he never had a chance to realise. The other two got out when they knew their time was up.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in my teens so only remember the good times haha! Can't remember things being that bad though (thank God), the season we won the cup we where in a relegation battle but got ourselves out of it, it's nothing like the state we are in now though,and staying on topic I'd love Sam back here and after watching a few of his interviews on the net you can still tell he's gutted he's not here any more maybe,just maybe there might be hope of a return

As a manager Graeme Souness is not fit to lace Allardyces boots. He left our squad in almost as bad a state as Ince did.

Is this the same Allardyce who by his own admission is unable to find employment because of how his game is perceived by potential employers? I think your retrospective rose tinted glasses need a clean Theno!

If I invited you to a small function with Sam as 'the guest', would you come ?

I went to a small function with both Allardyces as guests about 3 weeks ago, I don't care to attend another one thank you.

Is this the same Allardyce who by his own admission is unable to find employment because of how his game is perceived by potential employers? I think your retrospective rose tinted glasses need a clean Theno!

Just look at their respective records Otto. Pretty easy to tell who has been more successful in the last 10 years. Also, if you really want confirmation, why not look at money spent aswell.

Speaking as someone who goes to every away game I must say I enjoyed them much more than I do now. At least I knew that the home games would produce points.

The humilation at Wigan was far worse for me than watching an understrength side get hammered at Old Trafford.

im not saying we are brilliant away from home now.. but i have atleast seen us have a go.

villa, up until keith dropped us in it and fulham performances were decent. those who were there will agree with me.

i enjoyed the wigan game.. as a spectacle. the 1st 20 mins is the best ive seen rovers play away from home in years.

i wouldnt call wigan a humiliation... man united, spurs away, and stoke away last season and this without a single effort at goal.

there are numerous other examples. our away away following dwindled.

do you remember the city away game last year.. 400 fans turned up to a game an hour or so away. said it all.

the away record under allarydyce was a disgrace and indefensible.

blackpool this season was the 1st time we won a saturday away game under sam dont forget ;)

Were Real Madrid fans complaining having hoofed the ball up through to Ronaldo or Di Maria from the start of the second half onwards? I dont think so. And this is Real Madrid we are talking about. Sitting back defending deep with 9 men behind the ball at all times. When you win, there are no complains. Winning is EVERYTHING.

im not saying we are brilliant away from home now.. but i have atleast seen us have a go.

villa, up until keith dropped us in it and fulham performances were decent. those who were there will agree with me.

i enjoyed the wigan game.. as a spectacle. the 1st 20 mins is the best ive seen rovers play away from home in years.

i wouldnt call wigan a humiliation... man united, spurs away, and stoke away last season and this without a single effort at goal.

do you remember the city away game last year.. 400 fans turned up to a game an hour or so away. said it all.

blackpool this season was the 1st time we won a saturday away game under sam dont forget ;)

And when was the last time we won at home or away under Kean? Don't seem to remember Big Sam going that long without at win. Personally, I'm more concerned about where we finish at the end of the season, not how we get there. Last season's tenth looks pretty good at the moment compared with the shambles that Venkys and Kean have produced.

[b/blackpool this season was the 1st time we won a saturday away game under sam dont forget ;)[/b]

How could you possibly enjoy watching Wigan put four goals past us? I mean - Wigan, C'mon. Seems to me you're using a 20 minute period in one game to prove points.

Then you criticise Sam's away record, but accept a defeat at Wigan because of a 20 minute spell.

Just pure bias.

Were Real Madrid fans complaining having hoofed the ball up through to Ronaldo or Di Maria from the start of the second half onwards? I dont think so. And this is Real Madrid we are talking about. Sitting back defending deep with 9 men behind the ball at all times. When you win, there are no complains. Winning is EVERYTHING.

Ironic goal then which was superb pass and move and a great finish.

Having watched every Real game this season they have played excellent football and the only time they have reverted to playing with 10 men behind the ball have been vs Barca.

Ironic goal then which was superb pass and move and a great finish.

Agreed. It was like watching Sam's Rovers teams exposing other teams' frailties with targeted long balls into their areas of weakness.

It's called good management.

Agreed. It was like watching Sam's Rovers teams exposing other teams' frailties with targeted long balls into their areas of weakness.

It's called good management.

I actually liked watching Bolton when he signed Okacha, Anelka, Djorkaeff, he got more stick then he deserved anyway thats another story.

The Barcelona luvvies have gone very quiet today - perhaps licking their wounds after a brilliant tactical display by Mourinho who showed once again that a pragmatic approach wins important football matches.

Mourinho is Sam Allardyce par excellence.

Mourinho is Sam Allardyce par excellence.

Plus all the trophies.

I saw the highlights of last nights game and anyone seriously comparing Mourinho and Real Madrid last night to the way Sam plays the game is on another planet.

This was against an exceptional Barcelona side and quite possibly the greatest player the world has ever seen in Messi. Sam would have decided there was no chance of winning that particular game and lost by a cricket score 7-1 to concentrate on an easier game at the weekend.

People trying to compare Sam to Jose! :lol:

Mourinho might have gone more direct in this game but that's because it was Barca he was facing. If you try and play Barca at their game 9 times out of 10 you will lose.

I've seen Madrid play numerous times this season and they do not usually play a sit back hit them on the counter, long ball direct game. With players like Ozil and Di Maria in their side they don't need to.

The guy is a tactical genius, Sam isn't. Sam is a good manager, Mourinho is a great one.

You're missing the point as usual - Mourinho and Allardyce both set up their teams not to lose. Neither manager's teams are pretty to watch but they know how to win football matches which is the point of the whole exercise.

Somthing you forgot when you rejoiced at Sam leaving.

People trying to compare Sam to Jose! :lol:

Mourinho might have gone more direct in this game but that's because it was Barca he was facing. If you try and play Barca at their game 9 times out of 10 you will lose.

I've seen Madrid play numerous times this season and they do not usually play a sit back hit them on the counter, long ball direct game. With players like Ozil and Di Maria in their side they don't need to.

The guy is a tactical genius, Sam isn't. Sam is a good manager, Mourinho is a great one.

Slight contradictions here, Real are not as good as Barca and Mourinho knew he couldnt match them football wise, surely that is the same as Sam, he knew we couldnt compete against the big clubs and had a way of playing, he did play more expansive football against the lower clubs once we had the lead, thats why he was more than a decent manager, he knew how to win games, Kean doesnt.

As a manager Graeme Souness is not fit to lace Allardyces boots. He left our squad in almost as bad a state as Ince did.

not sure how you work that one out Gord,not got time to google it ,but i would guess soey has more trophies / medals not only in management but career wise too than sam .

You're missing the point as usual - Mourinho and Allardyce both set up their teams not to lose. Neither manager's teams are pretty to watch but they know how to win football matches which is the point of the whole exercise.

Somthing you forgot when you rejoiced at Sam leaving.

You obviously have not watched Real this season Jim, they have been playing excellent football and have been pretty on the eye, Jose reverted to defensive tactics for Barcelona- even then the goal was one that Barca would be proud of. Winning football matches Jose does well better than anyone, never had less than 54% winning percentage plus 18 trophies.

Just a mention for Souey, when he looks back at his managerial career I'm sure he has regrets but he also has 11 major titles as a manager in three different countries, not bad at all.

Archived