BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sam Allardyce Messiah or simply a good manager?

imy9

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sam would have decided there was no chance of winning that particular game and lost by a cricket score 7-1 to concentrate on an easier game at the weekend.

Nothing wrong with that as long as you win the game that you are focusing on

Is this where it's really got to? That's an outrageous statement - in any league competition, in any sport, at any level, anywhere in the world.

It's disgusting that Harry Redknapp was given the airtime this week to suggest that league fixtures should be moved around because Stoke could benefit from Man City finishing above Spurs - but your comment here is equally disgusting.

It sounds like you endorse picking and choosing which league games to win. Do you understand the word integrity? Do you even care about what competitive sport is about?

By the way - you and Gordon are like a tag team on this (and other) threads. You should be known as Thenodrogsprog from now on.

Since then our home form has plummeted, our away record is equally as bad, and everyone on the M/B apart from about 14 idiots are calling for Keans head.

Probably 13, because Z and his ventriloquist voted twice for the one of them.

Is this where it's really got to? That's an outrageous statement - in any league competition, in any sport, at any level, anywhere in the world.

It's disgusting that Harry Redknapp was given the airtime this week to suggest that league fixtures should be moved around because Stoke could benefit from Man City finishing above Spurs - but your comment here is equally disgusting.

It sounds like you endorse picking and choosing which league games to win. Do you understand the word integrity? Do you even care about what competitive sport is about?

By the way - you and Gordon are like a tag team on this (and other) threads. You should be known as Thenodrogsprog from now on.

I endorse picking and choosing which games to win because I understand that the Wolves game was far more important than Man Utd away!Is it that difficult too understand?

Yes we got beaten 7-1 off one of the best teams in the world. So what? I'm sure what is most important is the next winnable game (against relegation candidates)

Do I care what competitive sport is about? What a strange question to ask. Competitive sport is about being at the best level possible! I would have thought that 10th in one of the best leagues in the world with no money whatsoever was quite an achievement. Obviously you don't understand this concept.

I can't believe how many people on here are using that result as a sackable offence. Of course most of these people, including you tris, have no idea about football.

I endorse picking and choosing which games to win because I understand that the Wolves game was far more important than Man Utd away!Is it that difficult too understand?

Yes we got beaten 7-1 off one of the best teams in the world. So what? I'm sure what is most important is the next winnable game (against relegation candidates)

Do I care what competitive sport is about? What a strange question to ask. Competitive sport is about being at the best level possible! I would have thought that 10th in one of the best leagues in the world with no money whatsoever was quite an achievement. Obviously you don't understand this concept.

I can't believe how many people on here are using that result as a sackable offence. Of course most of these people, including you tris, have no idea about football.

Don't worry about Tris, he was peddling his anti-Sam agenda since day one and his relative silence since Sam was sacked speaks a thousand words. The "Sam picked his games" line is the standard line from the Sam-haters who can't see that under Baldy we have been turned over by all the teams around us and haven't won a game for three months.

Don't worry about Tris, he was peddling his anti-Sam agenda since day one and his relative silence since Sam was sacked speaks a thousand words. The "Sam picked his games" line is the standard line from the Sam-haters who can't see that under Baldy we have been turned over by all the teams around us and haven't won a game for three months.

They have made themselves look a bit silly really. However whilst they were delighted Sam was sacked, they were not prepared to have Kean appointed as manager! They had their own unrealistic views on things. Just imagine all of those ridiculous posts in December! God they must feel daft now :angry:

I'm not anti Allardyce by any means nor am I pro Kean (although I did advocate him being given a chance once appointed) but I dont think that you can simply gloss over the Old Trafford disgrace. We are supposed to be a proud, traditional football club. The capitulation at Man Utd and similar limp "performances" at certain venues were simply not acceptable even taking into consideration Allardyce's otherwise impressive if prosaic results achieved in trying circumstances.

I endorse picking and choosing which games to win

Do I care what competitive sport is about? What a strange question to ask. Competitive sport is about being at the best level possible!

Of course most of these people, including you tris, have no idea about football.

They had their own unrealistic views on things. Just imagine all of those ridiculous posts in December! God they must feel daft now :angry:

Fantastic insights there from Thenodrogsprog. Do let us know when you've learned to type for yourself.

I'm not anti Allardyce by any means nor am I pro Kean (although I did advocate him being given a chance once appointed) but I dont think that you can simply gloss over the Old Trafford disgrace. We are supposed to be a proud, traditional football club. The capitulation at Man Utd and similar limp "performances" at certain venues were simply not acceptable even taking into consideration Allardyce's otherwise impressive if prosaic results achieved in trying circumstances.

Gloss over it?? IT WAS ONE RESULT!!!!!! I feel like I've entered a parallel universe where fans no longer understand the concept of freak results and the existence of thrashings. Did we not thrash Norwich/Sheff Wed/Forest when we were a top team or does my memory deceive me? The best team in the land (by quite a distance this season) is liable to thrash teams at home, please understand this!! That game means nothing as in that form Utd would have beaten us even if we'd played our best. It should be an irrelevant footnote in the case against Allardyce even by its stanchest supporters, so weak is it as an argument. For every Utd away there was 5 home wins, so who gives a damn?!

Tris, you just PM'd me to ask for quotes proving that you were anti-Allardyce. Are you serious?!

You've made it public - so here's the PM I sent to you (in what I thought was confidence),copied and pasted word for word -->

Hi can you provide proof with links to back up your comments where you name me please - Thanks."

Your turn.

Sam is looking for work. http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Sam-Allardyce-insists-he-is-ready-for-another-crack-at-the-Premier-League-and-points-out-he-has-improved-EVERY-club-where-he-has-been-manager-article726411.html

The best thing about the article is his win % at each club he's managed. 35% at the Rovers, 15% points more than the "gem".

Tris, you just PM'd me to ask for quotes proving that you were anti-Allardyce. Are you serious?!

LOL! Didn't he call Sam a "slug" but hotly denied calling him a "fat slug" or did I dream that? Anyway I won't be trawling back through the archives but if Tris isn't/wasn't anti-Allardyce then I'm Graeme Souness!

I think fans had every right to be angry at that result, and that Allardyce had to shoulder a lot of the blame. But clubs will occasionally suffer heavy defeats, especially clubs like ours. Real Madrid lost 5-0 at the Nou Camp under Mourinho - surely considering the relative strength of the teams that's an infinitely worse result?

I don't subscribe to this idea that Allardyce wilfully "gave up" against big teams, even away from home. This is an idea which is entirely made up by the likes of RevidgeBlue but spat out like it's some kind of fact. Sure the Man U result was shocking and a bad day for our club. But against Chelsea our team was decimated by flu (even some of the players on the pitch were far from 100%). When we lost 6-2 to Arsenal last season it's easy to forget we were fighting and well in the game at half time, we just got overpowered by Arsenal in the second half.

But if Sam gave up against the big teams, then it doesn't account for our excellent performance at OT when we could easily have won, or our battling point at Eastlands this season. Not to mention several decent performances at home against them.

I do think Sam made a few mistakes in the way he set us up against the big teams, especially away from home, but he wasn't exactly wilfully throwing away the game and there were also signs of improvement there too. But if you look at the amount of points lost as a result of doing that, compared with the amount of points gained by his record/tactics against the teams around us then it's obvious why plenty of people on this board don't see it as that big an issue.

Bit naughty that Bish, lacks a bit of class in my book.

Allardyce did pick his games, anyone who went to away games will tell you that bish. Zac never missed and he'll certainly concur.

This took all of about 5 minutes (going to the search facility, selecting author as Tris and putting Allardyce as the search term)

So far it has been a hybrid...which is what I meant about Bolton style with Blackburn players.

That's not a plus - it's the whole problem with this prehistoric gum-chewing slug currently inhabiting the home dugout.

We are going to lose the only slim remnants of technical ability left in the squad. And where a more up to date manager might try and replace like with like, we will end up with cloggers looking for a final hoof before they cash in their pensions.

It's a disaster waiting to happen - and this style of "football" (it's not really football) will alienate more Rovers fans than anything else that's happened in the last 50 years.

Tugay's show of dissent on Saturday is the final straw for me, the best player to grace the shirt in the last decade is being pushed out of the door by a manager who wouldn't recognise a cultured, well directed pass if it smacked him straight in the jowls.

I'll still have my season ticket next year, but I can see a Blues Bar membership being added for escape purposes. I'm not wasting my time in the BBE through the winter watching Jurassic Park 19 times over when there's a nice warm bar 30 feet below.

Benni is determined to leave the club in January because he doesn't fit in to the Allardyce game plan. As forecast.

Which is an absolute travesty from where I'm sitting, he's our best striker and one of the few players left on our books with a bit of flair and skill. To read a story in the press this morning that Allardyce wants to replace Benni with a player nicknamed "The Tank" makes me want to weep.

As long as Allardyce is here, Rovers are doomed to nicking the odd point off the poorer sides, and never getting above lower mid table

What you say makes every sense ... but for the first time I'm finding myself wondering "what's the point"?

I think the reason is because I actually don't trust Allardyce to try and finish as high up the league as is possible for this squad of players. The reason I'm feeling that is because of Liverpool and Arsenal away last season, and West Ham at home on Saturday.

Even his directors will tolerate his myth that the percentage game is worthwhile since he has kept his side of the bargain by getting the club out of the bottom three.

But if they are confronted with more of the same next August, they will surely be asking themselves why they bother going to matches. It certainly cannot be to enjoy themselves.

Some of us think football should be played with the feet, not on a calculator by those who worship at the altar of Prozone statistics and the relentless pursuit of the 'second ball'.

Tony Gales Mic is a fine one to talk about bias. I remember him harping on for about 6 months about how rubbish Robbo was. He then went on to claim that he had no bias against Robbo and never had had. One quick search later revealed his first post on Robbo was along the lines of he's rubbish and not fit to lace Friedels boots.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones TGM.

Tony Gales Mic is a fine one to talk about bias. I remember him harping on for about 6 months about how rubbish Robbo was. He then went on to claim that he had no bias against Robbo and never had had. One quick search later revealed his first post on Robbo was along the lines of he's rubbish and not fit to lace Friedels boots.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones TGM.

Robbo was pretty poor for a lot of his time with us. When I was criticising Robbo he was arguably one of the league's poorer keepers - the stats backed this up as did the performances. He rarely won us points, but on a reasonably frequent basis would let in goals he shouldnt do, make errors etc. I never had a bias against him, but prior to coming to Rovers he'd been poor with Spurs and this form carried on for the first season or so with us.

What I WAS wrong about however, was that I thought it was unlikely he would improve, which of course he did and he's currently a great asset to our club. I don't like his petty reasons for turning down the England call ups as I think for much of the time he wasn't worthy of a call up, but as long as he's performing for us that's all that matters. He's still not a patch on Friedel, but then that was always more of a comment on the man we called Superman.

I'm actually more than happy to admit that while I didn't have a bias against Robbo and think much of his early criticism was justified, he has really picked up his game when I didn't think that was likely.

I think that's the only time I've been really wrong about something on here, and I'll admit as much.

Robbo was pretty poor for a lot of his time with us. When I was criticising Robbo he was arguably one of the league's poorer keepers - the stats backed this up as did the performances. He rarely won us points, but on a reasonably frequent basis would let in goals he shouldnt do, make errors etc. I never had a bias against him, but prior to coming to Rovers he'd been poor with Spurs and this form carried on for the first season or so with us.

What I WAS wrong about however, was that I thought it was unlikely he would improve, which of course he did and he's currently a great asset to our club. I don't like his petty reasons for turning down the England call ups as I think for much of the time he wasn't worthy of a call up, but as long as he's performing for us that's all that matters. He's still not a patch on Friedel, but then that was always more of a comment on the man we called Superman.

I'm actually more than happy to admit that while I didn't have a bias against Robbo and think much of his early criticism was justified, he has really picked up his game when I didn't think that was likely.

I think that's the only time I've been really wrong about something on here, and I'll admit as much.

How lucky we are to have you to put us all on the right track. :wacko: Oh lead us great one, lead us from the wilderness! :blink:

Archived