BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sam Allardyce Messiah or simply a good manager?

imy9

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another point to note, considering Sam had NOTHING to spend on new players last summer I think we started this season fairly well considering (only brought in Benjani on a free transfer) - I believe we were on course for finishing around 9th on his results to the date of his sacking.

No it was worse. :rolleyes:

Still robinson taking every free kick in our own half' and even 5-10 yards in the opposition half was not the reason why every other fan in country calls him the hoofball expert :brfcsmilie:

You obviously don't go to Ewood Park very much do you SD4E?

You obviously don't go to Ewood Park very much do you SD4E?

Nope, just a season ticket holder since 1991 who attends every home match and many away. I think it's more relevant to question if you actually went to any games?

If you think robinson didn't take every free kick in our half and sometimes there's, then you clearly didn't. :blink:

I understand you loved bfs, that's fine. I too didn't want him sacked half way through the season, which was ridiculous.

Good job done for rovers? Yes. Was it pretty? No. Did we like winning games at home? Yes.

If you liked the style of percentage football we used for most home games under bfs, then great, your easily pleased.

Nope, just a season ticket holder since 1991 who attends every home match and many away. I think it's more relevant to question if you actually went to any games?

If you think robinson didn't take every free kick in our half and sometimes there's, then you clearly didn't. :blink:

I understand you loved bfs, that's fine. I too didn't want him sacked half way through the season, which was ridiculous.

Good job done for rovers? Yes. Was it pretty? No. Did we like winning games at home? Yes.

If you liked the style of percentage football we used for most home games under bfs, then great, your easily pleased.

As a regular attender at games you will have noted that Robinson is still taking free-kicks in our half.

You will also have noted we conitnute to pump balls into the oppositions box.

You will also have noted that most of our best chances are coming from set-plays and a high percentage of the goals we have scored under Kean have come in that fashion as well.

You must be easily pleased.

91 eh? Ahh a glory hunter? 'Where were you when we were sh1t'? :P

However..... Since the reported HT player's revolt against Blackpool we have basically reverted to the free kick tactics of the previous manager. For what it's worth Robinson's kicking is the best that I have seen from a keeper. Southall at Everton was good but Robinson is better imo. We have in the likes of Samba, N'Zonzi, RSC some definite targets who are all nearer 6ft 6" than 6ft and who are all strong in the air. Only a numpty would ignore that option.

btw I didn't 'love' sam. I respected that he was the best man for our club with our very limited finances by a country mile. With due respect to Jim Smith and Hoawrd Kendall Sam Allardyce is in the top 3 managers that I have seen at our club in 50 years of watching them. I'd still rather have Hughes and maybe even Kenny (with full access to Jack's cheque book of course) but those days are gone.... although some delusional souls still appear to think that we can go toe to toe and out football clubs with players worth many many times the value of our lot. Dreamers. :rolleyes:

As a regular attender at games you will have noted that Robinson is still taking free-kicks in our half.

You will also have noted we conitnute to pump balls into the oppositions box.

You will also have noted that most of our best chances are coming from set-plays and a high percentage of the goals we have scored under Kean have come in that fashion as well.

You must be easily pleased.

Yes we still pump it in all the time, very much a bfs tactic.

no where have I said kean has not reverted to type, or that we now play great football. In fact the last few games we have gone back to hoof ball and long throws. Yes a huge percentage of our goals come from set plays, but that is down to bfs couple of years. You can't change things overnight, remember Hughes took a year to get us solid and then built on it with decent wingers and a good footballing ethic.

It was different under Hughes, souness et al than sams style of play.

Bfs plays that style. Always has, always will. If that's what you like, then fine.

If that's the footy you like under bfs or Kean, then you are easily pleased. Pretty simple isn't it?

91 eh? Ahh a glory hunter? 'Where were you when we were sh1t'? :P

However..... Since the reported HT player's revolt against Blackpool we have basically reverted to the free kick tactics of the previous manager. For what it's worth Robinson's kicking is the best that I have seen from a keeper. Southall at Everton was good but Robinson is better imo. We have in the likes of Samba, N'Zonzi, RSC some definite targets who are all nearer 6ft 6" than 6ft and who are all strong in the air. Only a numpty would ignore that option.

btw I didn't 'love' sam. I respected that he was the best man for our club with our very limited finances by a country mile. With due respect to Jim Smith and Hoawrd Kendall Sam Allardyce is in the top 3 managers that I have seen at our club in 50 years of watching them. I'd still rather have Hughes and maybe even Kenny (with full access to Jack's cheque book of course) but those days are gone.... although some delusional souls still appear to think that we can go toe to toe and out football clubs with players worth many many times the value of our lot. Dreamers. :rolleyes:

Btw I said season ticket holder since 91, not fan. My dad took me from the early 80's but 91 was the first time I bought my own ticket.

Bfs the best man on our budget? Owen coyle seems to be doing ok with Bolton on a similar budget? Why can he play decent footy with a similar talent level? Or are Bolton miles better?

Btw I said season ticket holder since 91, not fan. My dad took me from the early 80's but 91 was the first time I bought my own ticket.

Bfs the best man on our budget? Owen coyle seems to be doing ok with Bolton on a similar budget? Why can he play decent footy with a similar talent level? Or are Bolton miles better?

Rational debate and valid argument isn’t going to win you any friends SD4E.

With the first hint of an anti Allardyce voice, the pack will kick into action, and your valid points and rational reasoning will be lost in a tirade of abuse and stats.

You’re not alone :D

Now now Gav, I always debate rationally :tu:

Owen Coyle is doing very well, however maangers of his calibre willing to manage clubs of the size of Rovers/Bolton with limited resources arent exactly plentiful.

We also had a bloke getting results and that was fine by me.

Congratulations, you've picked one manager who's had two successful seasons at the top level.

If he carries on in this vein, then great for him. But there's literally no other names you can pick out in the last 10 years of Premier League football who've consistently produced decent football on a small budget.

Hughes did for a season while Bellamy was around and Tugay was at his best, but as the years went on and Tugay's powers started to diminish so did the quality of the football, and we were widely derided for our playing style in the media.

Now now Gav, I always debate rationally :tu:

Owen Coyle is doing very well, however maangers of his calibre willing to manage clubs of the size of Rovers/Bolton with limited resources arent exactly plentiful.

We also had a bloke getting results and that was fine by me.

I wasn't refering to you Matty, but hey if the cap fits :D

Rational debate and valid argument isn’t going to win you any friends SD4E.

With the first hint of an anti Allardyce voice, the pack will kick into action, and your valid points and rational reasoning will be lost in a tirade of abuse and stats.

You’re not alone :D

Ah yes, "rational debate and valid points".

Such as "Big Sam was taking us backwards", when every rational indicator showed he was, if anything, taking us forwards. "Allardyce was losing the fans" when the number of attendees at Ewood fans increased year on year during his reign (helped in no small part by the deals on offer - but if Sam was such a turn off people still wouldn't part with money and time).

Or the "I go to more games than you" argument you frequently use when you've lost in every other way, when we have numerous members of this board who don't/can't go to any games at all.

You're the master of rational debate Gav, I bow to you.

Ah yes, "rational debate and valid points".

Such as "Big Sam was taking us backwards", when every rational indicator showed he was, if anything, taking us forwards. "Allardyce was losing the fans" when the number of attendees at Ewood fans increased year on year during his reign (helped in no small part by the deals on offer - but if Sam was such a turn off people still wouldn't part with money and time).

Or the "I go to more games than you" argument you frequently use when you've lost in every other way, when we have numerous members of this board who don't/can't go to any games at all.

You're the master of rational debate Gav, I bow to you.

Few things in there I never said but that’s ‘par for the course I guess’

Its my opinion TGM, that Allardyce was taking us backwards, from what I saw in the early part of the season, nothing or nobody will change my mind on that.

I’m not going to get into this with you again because we’ve been here before and you came out second best :P

Owen coyle seems to be doing ok with Bolton on a similar budget? Why can he play decent footy with a similar talent level?

Bunkum.

The decent football that Coyle's teams play is just a myth SD4E. That was said about Burnley under him and was totally wrong. and if you saw Bolton beating Arsenal yesterday, you'll have seen the same, direct Bolton as they have been for quite some time. Long balls up to Kevin Davies for him to flick on, all afternoon. Bolton defended extremely well, got stuck in, launched the long ball and troubled Arsenal with their set plays. Just as teams with less technique should do.

Mind, that's probably down to Allardyce as well. Teams can't alter tactics overnight, can they!

Sorry Den but thats complete and utter nonsence.

Well you could have explained why. Coyle reckoned Burnley outfootballed us at Ewood last season, when the truth was nothing like that. Did you watch the game yesterday?

Archived