SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Shirt 2011/12

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to call "fake" on this one.

It's not close to the style of any other Umbro Premier League shirt

It's very close to (and Gumbi called it) the New York Cosmos shirt. I'd even go so far as to say http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__uoyK_zpwe4/TLtFq1mUfKI/AAAAAAAAAII/b4FgL4Hf6Cc/s1600/new-york-cosmos-2011-umbro-shirt-b.jpg]this[/url] was the starting point for a photoshop job. That silver topped manikin seems to only be used for Cosmos shots too.

But we got my thinking was the sponsor. Whilst Cobra is an "Indian" beer, it was devised in Britain for the British market (although it is now available in India) and whilst originally brewed there, it was brewed for export. It's owned by Molson Coors, who also own Carling, Worthington's, Caffreys and Stones who you'd think would be a more likely to promote in the English Premier League.

Then again, I've been wrong before.

You mean it looks presentable and wasn't made by a warehouse of chimps?

It's very close to (and Gumbi called it) the New York Cosmos shirt. I'd even go so far as to say http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__uoyK_zpwe4/TLtFq1mUfKI/AAAAAAAAAII/b4FgL4Hf6Cc/s1600/new-york-cosmos-2011-umbro-shirt-b.jpg]this[/url] was the starting point for a photoshop job. That silver topped manikin seems to only be used for Cosmos shots too.

But we got my thinking was the sponsor. Whilst Cobra is an "Indian" beer, it was devised in Britain for the British market (although it is now available in India) and whilst originally brewed there, it was brewed for export. It's owned by Molson Coors, who also own Carling, Worthington's, Caffreys and Stones who you'd think would be a more likely to promote in the English Premier League.

Then again, I've been wrong before.

I thought it was fake too, but then I had a better look after I was made aware for the Cosmos thing.

Then I had a look at umbro.com, and only Cosmos has that template.

Look at the neck. The small "v" split looks a bit different on the cosmos and the Rovers one (could well be adjusted that way in Photoshop)

Also the shades on the front and arms are different from the cosmos one. The silver neck is what Umbro uses to manequin their shirts I believe, so it could well be real. If not, it is a very very good mock-up!

I thought it was fake too, but then I had a better look after I was made aware for the Cosmos thing.

Then I had a look at umbro.com, and only Cosmos has that template.

Look at the neck. The small "v" split looks a bit different on the cosmos and the Rovers one (could well be adjusted that way in Photoshop)

Also the shades on the front and arms are different from the cosmos one. The silver neck is what Umbro uses to manequin their shirts I believe, so it could well be real. If not, it is a very very good mock-up!

The v is the same. The extreme use of the blur effect just makes it look different.

The v is the same. The extreme use of the blur effect just makes it look different.

You're right, the little notch is the same. The shading on the shirt looks different only on the blue parts and has been done pretty crudely. You can see the shading on the white areas are the same as the cosmos shirt (great call on finding that shirt so fast, btw, whoever called it out as being the cosmos!). I'm a graphic designer for a living and get paid to make fake images like this (mocking things up to show the client what it looks like) very often. I can also tell you that this image is actually a picture taken on a phone of a computer screen, probably in an attempt to make it look more authentic.

While the mockup shirt looks kinda neat, it is no more than a mock-up.

Seriously? I think that shirt style with our famous blue and white would look quite smart.

i completely agree, as long as they don't do something like that with the numbers...

Also, with all the unorganized craziness going on right now, I wonder what the chances are of us having no shirt sponsors at least at the beginning of the season are? Wouldn't that be cool!

Probably more likely that we'll end up digging last seasons shirts out of the bin at the last second...

i completely agree, as long as they don't do something like that with the numbers...

Also, with all the unorganized craziness going on right now, I wonder what the chances are of us having no shirt sponsors at least at the beginning of the season are? Wouldn't that be cool!

Probably more likely that we'll end up digging last seasons shirts out of the bin at the last second...

At this rate we'll have Robbo in a Perspex '91 top ; the defence in Asics/McEwans 94-95 shirt; midfield in the Uhlsport/CIS relegation shirt and our forwards in the Kappa/TIME ones.

Our opposition teams will have to play in skins. As Ron Manager would say "Jumpers for goalposts".

ron+manager.jpg

You're right, the little notch is the same. The shading on the shirt looks different only on the blue parts and has been done pretty crudely. You can see the shading on the white areas are the same as the cosmos shirt (great call on finding that shirt so fast, btw, whoever called it out as being the cosmos!). I'm a graphic designer for a living and get paid to make fake images like this (mocking things up to show the client what it looks like) very often. I can also tell you that this image is actually a picture taken on a phone of a computer screen, probably in an attempt to make it look more authentic.

Thats a shame, cause it looked really nice. It would have easily been my fav shirt since the HSA-shirt (this one http://www.blogcdn.com/www.fanhouse.co.uk/media/2010/10/andy-cole-1410.jpg ) and I would have bought it straigt away! Bet the shirt we end up with is miles away from that mock-up, in terms of aesthetics=/

But the Cosmos shirt is an Umbro creation yeah? So no reason at all why the same template couldn't be used for the Rovers shirt

I can agree that it may be a mock up - but don't think it is at all beyond the realms of possibility that this could be the design for our new shirt.

I went to the Cosmos link think the supplier was going to be Nike or Reebok etc but was pleasently surprised to see the Umbro diamond...

But the Cosmos shirt is an Umbro creation yeah? So no reason at all why the same template couldn't be used for the Rovers shirt

I can agree that it may be a mock up - but don't think it is at all beyond the realms of possibility that this could be the design for our new shirt.

I went to the Cosmos link think the supplier was going to be Nike or Reebok etc but was pleasently surprised to see the Umbro diamond...

Exactly.

Looks pretty cool as well. Would have no problem if that was the real deal.

In fact I think that style of Umbro shirt lends it self more to our shirt design than the Cocmos one.

The sponsors logo helps as well.

We have our first run out in a weeks time - be interesting to see what happens this coming week.

My only concern is the insipid blue that has crept into the new line of training tops - lets just hope that's as far as that particular hue goes.

The cosmos shirt is an umbro creation specifically designed for the cosmos, and not an Umbro template that theyd use for other teams. It is based off this...

Cruyff-playing-for-New-York-Cosmos.gif

So basically if we wore this shirt we'd be wearing a shirt inspired by the 1970's Cosmos... I dont think Umbro would do that to us. I say fake IMO.

The cosmos shirt is an umbro creation specifically designed for the cosmos, and not an Umbro template that theyd use for other teams. It is based off this...

Cruyff-playing-for-New-York-Cosmos.gif

So basically if we wore this shirt we'd be wearing a shirt inspired by the 1970's Cosmos... I dont think Umbro would do that to us. I say fake IMO.

Can we have the shirt design and the guy thats wearing it? biggrin.gif

• Moderation Lead

Was at the Soccerdome playing yesterday, and there was a poster outside JJB saying that our new home shirt was coming soon, and was available for pre-order!

No images though......

Was at the Soccerdome playing yesterday, and there was a poster outside JJB saying that our new home shirt was coming soon, and was available for pre-order!

No images though......

So they expect people to pre-oreder a kit before seeing it, taking the mick a bit there.

Glad I didn't pre-order the away kit if the leaked photos are real its a shocker.

The reserves play today... wonder what kit they will be wearing...

Today at Kendal Rovers reserves wore a Blue and White halved kit with red trim. It was unusual in the fact that it was all halved rather than the opposite halves on the back being different from the front. If you see what I mean. The blue colour was the same. No sponsorship. I think it may have been the mockup from last year.

Hope so because I like the traditional way the halves are different on the back than the front.

Archived