BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BTwin is Decathlon's in-house brand. The range as a whole is known for excellence for the price. I would normally suggest that £300 is too little to get a decent bike. With bikes the general rule is that the better the bike the more enjoyable will be the riding and the more likely you are to ride it. A big heavy cheap bike can be hard work to ride and can put you off before you've properly started.

But if you're looking for a bike for a 15 year old, who will no doubt grow out of it in a few years, and more importantly if £300 is what you've got, then the Triban 3 would be an excellent choice. If you google Triban 3 you'll find some reviews including a 4.5 star one from Cycling Weekly from last November.

Guest Norbert

Stupid question here, but just how bad are those racing bikes to ride in bad weather? Whenever I see them with their really thin tyres I think "that would be me on my face if I rode that in the winter."

Winter isn't a problem in my experience. I always try to avoid pot holes and grids, especially grids which are slippy and greasy when wet. Snow is obviously a nightmare.

After long spells of dry weather I drop my tyre pressures when it's wet and generally ride lower pressures in winter for a bit of extra grip.

Worse thing about winter is keeping the chain and cassette clean.

Sparky, I hadn't thought of this from O2G's view. Very good advice in my opinion and I've read good reviews and remarks about Decathlon on message boards / forums. Decathlon are 10% cheaper online

This link could help and I feel it's accurate;

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2177769/Ride-like-Wiggins-The-best-road-bikes-500.html

SAS - most new bike ranges have been launched during August 2014. It usually takes a few weeks to filter through. I notice Evans have a 10-30% sale now, mostly around the 10/12% range. Myself I'm going to give it a couple of weeks and then start looking around. I'll be buying at Ewood bikes regardless, they support me throughout the year and so when it comes to a new bike they always get the business. As Ewood Bikes are mainly Canondale stockists this is probably what I'll get, Ian will check what is available to him and then we talk accordingly about specs etc. This of course is a different approach to the one you may want to take as I'm very committed to supporting my local LBS.

I had forgotten the n+1 and s-1 rules!!! I find major dates in life are useful arguments as well, 40, 50, 55 (just an excuse really) and 60. I'm 60 next summer and this autumn purchase is based on an early birthday treat as I can get a better deal and an extra year's use out of the bike!! i find the "at home" negotiation is best started about 3-4 months ahead of purchase!!!! One should never forget the "but it'll last me 10 years so that's really only £xxxx pa, great value"

Sparky -if Decathlon are 10% cheaper online and you're happy with doing whatever assembly will be needed then I'd take your lad down to the shop and have a look at what they've got and then come back and order it online if it's OK.

SAS - any good local bike shop (and it sounds from Paul's experience that Ewood Bikes is) should be able to fit you out for £1,000. They should be fully conversant with the Bike to Work scheme and should talk you through the paperwork you need to do. And bike manufacturers are well aware of the attraction to their customers of the scheme so all produce bikes to fit into the £1,000 maximum. Remember also that you can get accessories and clothing under the scheme as well so can get yourself fully kitted out with a slightly cheaper bike and all the bells and whistles for £1K or blow it all on the bike in the scheme and get anything else you need on top

Winter isn't a problem in my experience. I always try to avoid pot holes and grids, especially grids which are slippy and greasy when wet. Snow is obviously a nightmare.

After long spells of dry weather I drop my tyre pressures when it's wet and generally ride lower pressures in winter for a bit of extra grip.

Worse thing about winter is keeping the chain and cassette clean.

This was my answer as well about letting some air out of the tyres but I held back because post # 301 mentioned those real thin tyres of racing bikes which sounds like a rather upscale elite setup, those wheels already cost a lot compared to the clunkers I might be riding.

That said, Mountain Bikes (or Hybrides) with their wide tyres and nobby treads designed well for all kinds of riding are for me the ride of choice in harsh weather but much slower otherwise than a racing bike. For winter, if I have a say and if one can have more than one bike and would be riding rather extensively, a Mountain/Hybrid is the only choice, the racing bike for better weather.

24.jpg

Sometimes, if conditions really get slowed down, a big snow, Mountain Bikes are the closest to getting you anywhere. I don't mean to plug them. Something like the above picture, if one is dressed warm can be pretty fun even, picture from the famous "ice bike" website which yes, deals with riding in the winter mainly. They are rolling.

http://icebike.org/

Companies sell studded tyres but letting the air out to a low pressure works very well, you get good traction, you probably won't slide much. Only if everywhere is absolutely covered with ice would one need the studded tyres. Just to see if I could do it, I did ride once across a medium-size frozen lake with one front studded tyre which I've read before one really only needs the front to be studded. The grip those studs give is a bit amazing alright, they really do dig into the ice.

The 3-speed bikes I would surmise do okay in the winter as well, the old Sturmey Archer hubs but even those can get frozen up in the winter, the oil inside and what have you.

--------

Edit on: Low Tyre Pressure and excessive caution, keys to good winter riding, perhaps the knobby mountain bike styled tyres as well.

Edited by Audax

Sometimes people don't expect to see a cyclist out in the winter, so have a good torch, rear lights, blinkies, I was at a junction last winter, everyone came to a stop and this motorist did not see me, worked out okay but I waited for them to stop, then I proceeded and they started up but stopped in time, they must not have seen me, so again, overly cautious. Once, there was a lot of snow and sometimes, you'll have people, mainly kids who want to see how their car will fishtail and the like in the snow in areas I go for shortcuts home, industrial areas through car parks, they don't expect to see a cyclist either, so with warmly protected feet, I'm often ready to hop off the bike and drag it out of the way if need be. Hasn't happened but nothing to be at risk about either. Which comes to another thing, I certainly don't use clip-in pedals in the winter. Some do, if you're comfortable, go for it.

Edited by Audax

I went on Decathlon, a good range and something about my price range too...sub £300....anyone know if BTWIN are any kop...? Triban 3

Make sure you get the red triban 300 as it has carbon forks and better gears than the newer white model. I bought this bike for the mrs who is chuffed to bits with it. It's closer to a 500-600 quid bike I believe that's why the newer white version has worse specs and is more suited to being a 300 quid bike.

Tw_t. You never wang it down when you are on a pavement, and in a city like New York, where the pavements are narrow you should be on the road anyway. He should get done for that whoever he hit.

True but you can find a million YouTube clips of drivers hitting cyclists or generally behaving like idiots, and presumably millions of examples of people behaving badly in other walks of life - there are idiots who behave badly in every section of society not just on bicycles.

• 4 months later...

Belligerent and overly aggressive cyclist here got his comeuppance. Asked for it too imo.

http://travel.aol.co.uk/2014/01/28/video-motorist-punches-cyclist-london-road-rage-attack/?icid=maing-grid7|ukt1|dl2|sec1_lnk1%26pLid%3D239657

I'd no idea there were so many of them in London. There seem to be bloody millions of them no wonder they are always getting knocked off their bikes..... one way or another. ^_^ I'd have been tempted to check my cab for dents and get his name and address if I'd been the taxi driver.

Must say the authorities must take a share of the blame for setting up road markings which appear to promote undertaking by cyclists and then encouraging them to fill the centre of the road and block off of motorists. Daft bloody system must have been dreamt up by one of the buggers. I guess the solution should be to licence the bikes, make them display registration plates and then subject them to road tax and congestion charges.

*Pretty obvious to me that they wear head cameras to stir the pot too.

Edited by thenodrog

• Backroom

Belligerent and overly aggressive cyclist here got his comeuppance. Asked for it too imo.

http://travel.aol.co.uk/2014/01/28/video-motorist-punches-cyclist-london-road-rage-attack/?icid=maing-grid7|ukt1|dl2|sec1_lnk1%26pLid%3D239657

I'd no idea there were so many of them in London. There seem to be bloody millions of them no wonder they are always getting knocked off their bikes..... one way or another. ^_^ I'd have been tempted to check my cab for dents and get his name and address if I'd been the taxi driver.

Must say the authorities must take a share of the blame for setting up road markings which appear to promote undertaking by cyclists and then encouraging them to fill the centre of the road and block off of motorists. Daft bloody system must have been dreamt up by one of the buggers. I guess the solution should be to licence the bikes, make them display registration plates and then subject them to road tax and congestion charges.

I see that more as the driver getting told (and rightly so) for being a @#/?. Cyclists gathering where they are allowed to and damned near being run over by an arse in an audi is shameful driving, not cycling.

Frankly I was hoping someone would put their bike through his windscreen.

• Like 1

Because the Audi driver was stationary, but then crossed the Advanced Stop Line while the light was on red, he's going to get a £100 fine and three points, which is good news. That's before he gets done for assault which will be better news.

As it appears you are ignorant of the particular rules involved, here they are for you http://content.met.police.uk/Article/Advanced-Stop-Lines/1400018009433/1400018009433 - might save you the same fate.

The roads would be a lot safer if buying an Audi came with an automatic 6 point penalty on the license. Owning a white one like the one in the video, with blacked out windows, should be a straight 12 points.

• Like 1

So what do we have here then:

1. Aggressive Audi driver breaking the law

2. Agressive reaction from the cyclist who unecessaily chases the Audi down and harrangues him using foul language

3. Audi driver who then assaults the cyclist

4. thenodrog who loves to jump to conclusions

The purpose of the ASL is to allow cyclists using the cycle lane, not filtering but riding in their lane, to move in front of the traffic allowing left turning cyclists to take up the correct position, straight ahead riders can take up primary position till they exit the junction, right turning cyclists have a place to wait till it's safe to turn. HGV drivers have a 4 metre blind spot in front of the cab, ASL boxes are five metres deep to make the bike rider more visible.

So far as encouraging cyclists to undertake this is nonsense as the box is designed to place the cyclist in a safe visible area which protects both cyclist and motorist. Motorists should keep up with and understand the Highway Code and current road markings.

Vehicle Excise Duty is based on engine size and emissions. Cycles have no engine and no emissions so there is no reason to pay road fund tax.

There are a lot of cyclists in London, some of them not very good and some rather aggressive, but the same applies to drivers as the video shows. As for the cameras, yep, got to agree with that I just don't get why they do it - though I do know all the reasons a helmet cammer will put forward

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

The main problem appears to be a lack of patience and/or laziness.

Anyone on a pushbike weaving in and out of traffic as you could see in part of that footage, really needs their bloody heads looking at, especially in London, which isn't the most cycle-friendly place in the UK anyway. Some cyclists are also seriously lacking in awareness and just plain road-sense, and also will only really stop if they absolutely have to. Incredibly annoying.

But then you see the fella in the Audi get out and lamp the cyclist, smart move that in London, with CCTV here there and everywhere.

I think the problem boils down to lazy inconsiderate ignorant aggressive idiots who think they're special cases, regardless of what mode of transport they're using.

Personally if I'm in London I prefer to jump in a cab or use public transport. Just seems much easier to me.

The main problem appears to be a lack of patience and/or laziness.

Anyone on a pushbike weaving in and out of traffic as you could see in part of that footage, really needs their bloody heads looking at, especially in London, which isn't the most cycle-friendly place in the UK anyway. Some cyclists are also seriously lacking in awareness and just plain road-sense, and also will only really stop if they absolutely have to. Incredibly annoying.

But then you see the fella in the Audi get out and lamp the cyclist, smart move that in London, with CCTV here there and everywhere.

I think the problem boils down to lazy inconsiderate ignorant aggressive idiots who think they're special cases, regardless of what mode of transport they're using.

Personally if I'm in London I prefer to jump in a cab or use public transport. Just seems much easier to me.

Those shoes that click-in, clipless pedals, they are good undoubtedly to ride faster and generally better for "cadence".

Bryan wrote: "and also will only really stop if they absolutely have to" and that's the deal about clipping in with the cleats as shown in the picture, I think a lot of Cyclists don't like to pull their cleats out of the pedals once they've got them in, rolling up to a stop, etc. That's why generally, I will always go with regular pedals, no cleats though it may not be as fast. Using the clipless pedals is a bit of an art to get use to. Anyone??

clipless_pedal.jpg

Couldn't disagree with anything Bryan has written earlier. I've had this conversation with London cyclists re riding styles and if goes nowhere. I feel the reality is a large percentage of road users behave sensibly - the idiots stand out for this reason alone. Those idiots always appear to drive Audis, Range Rovers etc. but that also isn't true it's just what sticks with us. Similarily the weaving cyclist stands out by the same argument.

Audax the system you describe, usually referred to as "clipless," takes very little time to get used to, after a couple of falls it becomes instinctive.

There are a lot if benefits to clipless but I've never heard a rider express a reluctance to slow down because it meant unclipping. Once used to it there's no difference between that and flat pedals

Couldn't disagree with anything Bryan has written earlier. I've had this conversation with London cyclists re riding styles and if goes nowhere. I feel the reality is a large percentage of road users behave sensibly - the idiots stand out for this reason alone. Those idiots always appear to drive Audis, Range Rovers etc. but that also isn't true it's just what sticks with us. Similarily the weaving cyclist stands out by the same argument.

Audax the system you describe, usually referred to as "clipless," takes very little time to get used to, after a couple of falls it becomes instinctive.

There are a lot if benefits to clipless but I've never heard a rider express a reluctance to slow down because it meant unclipping. Once used to it there's no difference between that and flat pedals

I tend to slow down when lights are on red so i can keep rolling till they change so I dont have to unclip.

Cant image going back to ordinary pedals.

I've had double sided pedals ever since I got the Hewitt and had mountain bike shoes on which I can use clipless but I have still not got round to trying them out in three years. I don't think I ride fast enough for the extra benefit to be worth the pain of learning to use them (and for me of putting the necessary on my shoes!).

There are a lot of cyclists in London, some of them not very good and some rather aggressive, but the same applies to drivers as the video shows. As for the cameras, yep, got to agree with that I just don't get why they do it - though I do know all the reasons a helmet cammer will put forward

I've ridden quite a few times in London now and the numbers of cyclists just keeps growing and growing at the moment. Like motorists, the vast majority ride perfectly sensibly but there will always be the odd one who does stupid things like habitually jumping lights. They're the cycling equivalent of the Audi/BMW drivers. It's not really every Audi or BMW who does stupid things it just seems like that at times.