BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] European Under 21s

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

My Utd friend just said he didn't know why I had been raving about Phil Jones.

Was I wearing blue and White glasses?

I've said all along Phil jones will be a very good player but so far has been over rated by rovers fans.

I've said all along Phil jones will be a very good player but so far has been over rated by rovers fans.

We got 20m for him and in some quarters we have been ripped off.

He may become the England captain but I don't think he will ever be Rio/Terry in their prime.

IMO.

I disagree Bucky, PJ is a combination of both Terry and Rio- he has the tools to be the complete centre half- BUT he has only played 40 odd games for us and having the tools does not make you the 'player' as such 20 million is an excellent bit of business for both Rovers and United.

Hanley IMO looks to be a solid centre half who has the potential to be a good pl player- what an academy we have at Rovers, we are very fortunate.

I disagree Bucky, PJ is a combination of both Terry and Rio- he has the tools to be the complete centre half- BUT he has only played 40 odd games for us and having the tools does not make you the 'player' as such 20 million is an excellent bit of business for both Rovers and United.

Hanley IMO looks to be a solid centre half who has the potential to be a good pl player- what an academy we have at Rovers, we are very fortunate.

I think I'm just kidding myself.

We will see. I told my friend he was better than Smailing. Not so sure anymore.

You've changed your opinion after 1 game?

Yes.

Every game I have seen previously has been biased. I always looked for the positives and never the faults.

Now I can be more objective.

It's the first time I have seen them together and I expected Jones to look far better but he didn't.

What is wrong with changing my mind? He's only played 30 odd games. People were quite happy to label Jones after his debut.

Please tell me that, now Jones is no longer a Rovers player, we aren't going to start with the sour grapes "he's not that good really"...!

No that's exactly what we will do. We are football fans.

Yes.

Every game I have seen previously has been biased. I always looked for the positives and never the faults.

Now I can be more objective.

It's the first time I have seen them together and I expected Jones to look far better but he didn't.

What is wrong with changing my mind? He's only played 30 odd games. People were quite happy to label Jones after his debut.

Nothing wrong with changing your mind - just seems a bit harsh to judge any player on one game. He's probably not had the best preparation for tonights match either.

Nothing wrong with changing your mind - just seems a bit harsh to judge any player on one game. He's probably not had the best preparation for tonights match either.

If he plays really well the next game then I will change my mind again.

It's not like he's a seasoned veteran. He's not even played a full season. Every performance counts at this stage of a career.

I take what you are saying about preparation and I agree with you.

However, in a spiteful way I sort of want him to fail. Not him personally, but for Utd to waste 20m. I don't particularly like them.

So I guess I'm being biased again

:(

I went to the last u21 championships in Sweden which was a nice little trip and I was thinking about going to this one because for the first time in ages there'd be a Rovers player. Glad I didn't chose to in the end!

As for the games, I don't think we'll beat Spain and the Czech Rep will be a difficult game. No idea if Ukraine are any good or not!

I take it you enjoyed the semi-final then? If it only hadn't been for that rubbish goalkeeper... <_<

• Backroom

Please tell me that, now Jones is no longer a Rovers player, we aren't going to start with the sour grapes "he's not that good really"...!

Not me I've always said he isn't quite as good as made out, too many errors yet but he should be able to improve that.

That was not a jones type game - far too slow and boring! He likes throwing himself at last ditch tackles, he is a warrior and raises his game to defend the "castle" and protect the king!

Walker should do a bale and convert from a full back to winger - he could be immense!

That was not a jones type game - far too slow and boring! He likes throwing himself at last ditch tackles, he is a warrior and raises his game to defend the "castle" and protect the king!

Walker should do a bale and convert from a full back to winger - he could be immense!

Thing is, when you're playing with players who are like you, young and inexperienced, your mistakes show up much more. Teams like Spain and the germans last time around played youth tournaments together and grew up together. We don't realy do tournaments much till we get to U21 level and by then our players are already in many cases playing week in, week out with established PL players, so they look very good. I too thought Jones looked below the standard we have seen from him for Rovers recently - not rubbish, just not as good as we would expect. and i thought I was the only person nasty enough to want him to fail at Utd!

We got 20m for him and in some quarters we have been ripped off.

He may become the England captain but I don't think he will ever be Rio/Terry in their prime.

IMO.

I think Jones will be better than both to be honest. Really he has been utterly sensational, and I don't think that assessment is overly biased. He marked Drogba out of the game on his debut for god's sake and has been our best player on the pitch in the majority of his appearances last season.

That he is a phenomenal talent is backed up by the fact all the top six want him. When was the last time that happened to a young English player? Rooney?

has been our best player on the pitch in the majority of his appearances last season.

Really?? Because he only played the last part of the season and if memory serves me right JJ got the most glowing reports, probably followed by Samba & Hoilett.

Archived