BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Kean Thread (Poll reset after Stoke game)

Glenn

958 members have voted

1. 1. Should Steve Kean be sacked

10 men is often down to the adrenaline on the pitch, pulling together for each other. Looked that way to me yesterday. Together with a rather poor Fulham who had been all over us until the red card.

However, Kean has crafted together a team in his own image who are eternally grateful for their big (or past-their-sell-by-date) chance. Just coincidental that those players under those tactics have taken us to where we are in the league and cups.

It's the same after each of our pitifully few wins. "We've turned a corner ", "Let's push on", "He's learning".

Well, we'll see.

We need a serious run of form (wins) right up til the end of the season to stay up. That will be the test of any corners turned, not the odd win here and there which by the law-of-averages a trained monkey could achieve (without making the usual stupid substitutions Kean makes).

Hang on, I forgot his blinding tactical brilliance in swapping (the apparently "best player on the pitch") Petrovic for the lethargic , which was the obvious cause of our win today. And all without an assistant, just shows the real genius is down to The Thinker. Yet even Dunnys goal came from a lucky knock down after Goodwillie's poor exhausted shot, following his marathon sprint (not).

After Kean's mardy interview in The Mail, any benefit of the doubt, appreciation or even sympathy is out of the question. Add in an apology to all of the fans he and his agent have insulted and some actual humility towards the supporters from here-on-in and there might be some change.

Other than that he can still go to hell as far as I'm concerned. I'm still undecided about renewing if he is still in charge next season.

Well said that man!

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10 men is often down to the adrenaline on the pitch, pulling together for each other. Looked that way to me yesterday. Together with a rather poor Fulham who had been all over us until the red card.

However, Kean has crafted together a team in his own image who are eternally grateful for their big (or past-their-sell-by-date) chance. Just coincidental that those players under those tactics have taken us to where we are in the league and cups.

It's the same after each of our pitifully few wins. "We've turned a corner ", "Let's push on", "He's learning".

Well, we'll see.

We need a serious run of form (wins) right up til the end of the season to stay up. That will be the test of any corners turned, not the odd win here and there which by the law-of-averages a trained monkey could achieve (without making the usual stupid substitutions Kean makes).

Hang on, I forgot his blinding tactical brilliance in swapping (the apparently "best player on the pitch") Petrovic for the lethargic , which was the obvious cause of our win today. And all without an assistant, just shows the real genius is down to The Thinker. Yet even Dunnys goal came from a lucky knock down after Goodwillie's poor exhausted shot, following his marathon sprint (not).

After Kean's mardy interview in The Mail, any benefit of the doubt, appreciation or even sympathy is out of the question. Add in an apology to all of the fans he and his agent have insulted and some actual humility towards the supporters from here-on-in and there might be some change.

Other than that he can still go to hell as far as I'm concerned. I'm still undecided about renewing if he is still in charge next season.

Stuart, I cannot understand how you can find so many reasons and excuses to dilute a fantastic team performance.

So let me get this correct, it was purely down to adrenaline, luck and bad substitutions??

I thought he should have taken Dunn or Pedersen off yesterday after the sending off...both scored :blink:

I also thought that as a manager he had clearly learnt that trying to sit back and hold a lead like we did at Sunderland just wouldn't work for us...his tactics worked 100%

Goodwillie was a very effective substitute (hi first touch was awful but he ran down the goalkeeper and full backs and caused them to make mistakes).

Rovers were fantastic yesterday and spirit and effort like that may actually get us out of the dire situation we are in. We pretty much need six more wins and whatever draws come our way to survive - totally achieveable if we play like we have been doing and not the serious run of form you are suggesting.

A bit of credit to Kean here..

He is definitely learning from past mistakes. Whether he's learning quickly enough to keep us up is another matter.

But hearing him talking about the Sunderland game, and how lost that because we sat deep and didn't try to keep possession, was refreshing. You could see we had a different mentality about how to protect a lead yesterday, and it worked. Hopefully we'll never see those Sunderland tactics employed again.

Yesterday was amazing, can't remember the last time I enjoyed a match or result as much (even the Man u one)

I was just proud as the team showed effort, heart and willingness...everyone of them!

Atmosphere was the best I have seen this season and it pushed the boys on. It became a little less us against Kean and more us against the ref and Fulham which it should always have been.

Loved it!

Glad he has saw the light regarding the Sunderland game, worst match I have ever seen live! It was horrific.

P.S did Shearer called the Yak Samba? haha

Pedro

Law of averages means we will win the odd game. I don't buy into the whole credit to Kean argument when, up til the sending off, we were being well outplayed. That is the bit I credit Kean with.

Too many people get suckered in like this. It was the same after Swansea and the same after United.

If you want to rave about yesterday's result, go ahead and post about it in the match thread. My feelings about Kean remain the same.

As far as difficulty understanding things though, how about this? I can't understand why, when I click view to see the WUMs and non-Rovers fans who STILL say "Back Kean", your username is listed.

Danny Mills just told it how it is on Five Live. Joe Royle was doung the usual 'he's so dignifed', 'out of order abuse'.

Mills said:

'He's out of his depth, he won't be able to attract players, no reputation in the game, the Venky group wanted a yes man, I think they'll go down this season, they stay up, they will surely go down next with him in charge, I've seen them 3 or 4 times and they've been very poor'.

'Do you agree with that Joe?'

'Err well, that isn't really the issue'.

Case closed.

Danny Mills just told it how it is on Five Live. Joe Royle was doung the usual 'he's so dignifed', 'out of order abuse'.

Mills said:

'He's out of his depth, he won't be able to attract players, no reputation in the game, the Venky group wanted a yes man, I think they'll go down this season, they stay up, they will surely go down next with him in charge, I've seen them 3 or 4 times and they've been very poor'.

Case closed.

Danny Mills can expect a strongly worded letter from the LMA for making one of their members look stupid!

• Backroom

Pedro

Law of averages means we will win the odd game. I don't buy into the whole credit to Kean argument when, up til the sending off, we were being well outplayed. That is the bit I credit Kean with.

Too many people get suckered in like this. It was the same after Swansea and the same after United.

If you want to rave about yesterday's result, go ahead and post about it in the match thread. My feelings about Kean remain the same.

As far as difficulty understanding things though, how about this? I can't understand why, when I click view to see the WUMs and non-Rovers fans who STILL say "Back Kean", your username is listed.

By the same token don't come in here blaming him when we lose.

Fact is he sent 10 men out in the second half without the captain impeccably organised. Nobody claims he is now a great manager or anything of the like but in most peoples eyes its clear he deserves a bit of credit for yesterday, it all means nothing if it is back to usual next week and onwards though

Great result yesterday, and good performance (except for inept refereeing). I thought the players really got themselves together after the red card, and worked harder. Hoilett in particular did far more defensive work than normal.

I think the red card affected Fulham more than us, and ruined their counter-attacking which caused us a lot of problems in the first few minutes.

Anyone seen this?:

Blog

Mills said:

Case closed.

Couldn't stand him when played for Leeds, one game in particular I thought I was going to have a heart attack he wound me up that much :D but all credit to him for telling it how it is :tu:

Fact is he sent 10 men out in the second half without the captain impeccably organised. Nobody claims he is now a great manager or anything of the like but in most peoples eyes its clear he deserves a bit of credit for yesterday, it all means nothing if it is back to usual next week and onwards though

Sorry Tom. I think the Dunn goal 50 seconds into the second half is clouding judgements here.

Delighted we won but you can have a star for your post if we are well organised for 90 minutes at Goodison next week.

• Backroom

Sorry Tom. I think the Dunn goal 50 seconds into the second half is clouding judgements here.

Delighted we won but you can have a star for your post if we are well organised for 90 minutes at Goodison next week.

And therin lies the rub, am I confident we will do it again next week? Not in a million years, I just gave credit on the previous game.

Same with Dunn who had a good game yet for the rest of the season has looked finished.

And therin lies the rub, am I confident we will do it again next week? Not in a million years, I just gave credit on the previous game.

Same with Dunn who had a good game yet for the rest of the season has looked finished.

We were brilliantly organised and played awesome.

Dunn has just been played out of position, if he can get a run behind the striker he will be effective but the problem is we have 3 -4 players fighting for that position

I'll blame/praise whom ever I believe is responsible, thank you very much. You think he deserves credit, fine, that's your prerogative.

I've already said he started the game wrongly. Again. And we were struggling. Badly. That's my prerogative.

You crack on though. Kean appreciates it when the real fans can see what he's trying to do. :rolleyes:

Totally agree but we were also Championship winners 1995...and to be fair the present is all that matters isn't it?

Stupid analogy. Sorry.

We're suddenly far from the bottom in the form guide and the players are giving their all...we have more than closed the gulf between bottom of the table and safety - so what more can anyone do at this present time?

We're two points from bottom, actually, with two of the bottom three having a game in hand.

Topman, have a read through that letter that has been released and have a quick think back of how you jumped on the back of my "give him more time because if he wasn't here things could be strangely worse" post. Can you still honestly imagine someone with experience would put up with this set up?

And I stand by that. You honestly think if Venky's advertised the managerial post right now there would be no experienced applicants?

• Backroom

I'll blame/praise whom ever I believe is responsible, thank you very much. You think he deserves credit, fine, that's your prerogative.

I've already said he started the game wrongly. Again. And we were struggling. Badly. That's my prerogative.

You crack on though. Kean appreciates it when the real fans can see what he's trying to do. :rolleyes:

Just wait did you not just tell people only to give him credit in the match thread? All I am saying is by the same token reactionary post after games re Kean maybe should be kept out of here

Spologies if I interpreted that wrong but thats how it read.

Just wait did you not just tell people only to give him credit in the match thread? All I am saying is by the same token reactionary post after games re Kean maybe should be kept out of here

Spologies if I interpreted that wrong but thats how it read.

Raving about yesterday's match, yes, that's a match discussion. Talking about Kean's responsibility for match results generally, I'd guess the "Steve Kean Thread" would be the right place but hey, you're the mod. :P

Should I reply to people but copy the post into a different thread? In which case this probably belongs in ICBINF now. :blush:

• Backroom

Now I'm confused.

But back on topic I originally came in to give a little credit because it's not often he deserves it, yesterday I thought he should have a shate of the credit, sadly I'm confident that very soon I'll be giving him more than a share of the blame after the next game.

Let's hope not.

Sorry Tom I disagree. He sent 11 men out in the first half and we were looking poor. The way I saw it was that we went down to 10 men and Kean's game-plan went out of the window. We got a goal which was a piece of individual skill/goalkeeping error, and at the right time, right on the break. It lifted the team and supporters. Then we came out and got a goal right after the break - again at the right time. Lifted us and knocked them down a peg. The team showed some fighting spirit with 10 men but how anyone can say with any conviction it was in any way down to Kean with his history I don't know.

If you're saying he sent out 10 men in the second half impeccably organized it's quite a leap to believe that he did that in the fifteen minute break considering he's been barely able to organize the entire squad in a whole year.

Sorry Tom I disagree. He sent 11 men out in the first half and we were looking poor. The way I saw it was that we went down to 10 men and Kean's game-plan went out of the window. We got a goal which was a piece of individual skill/goalkeeping error, and at the right time, right on the break. It lifted the team and supporters. Then we came out and got a goal right after the break - again at the right time. Lifted us and knocked them down a peg. The team showed some fighting spirit with 10 men but how anyone can say with any conviction it was in any way down to Kean with his history I don't know.

If you're saying he sent out 10 men in the second half impeccably organized it's quite a leap to believe that he did that in the fifteen minute break considering he's been barely able to organize the entire squad in a whole year.

Spot on booth.

Whilst contented witht he 3 points and the move out of the bottom 3 it doesnt change my view on Mr Kean and the fact that I want hoim out of the club.

One thing I am prepared to do is give him credit for the result. Yesterday saw a team with a fighting spirit, a will to run for each other, some organised passing and some good fortune in the finishing stakes. Some of the football on show was a delight BUT it was a return to basic footballing skills that pleased me most. PASS AND MOVE.

I ask where the hell has this been in the previous 20 games ?

To se Kean for once giving encouragement and using his substitutions CORRECTLY and in a productive manner made a change from the usual dross.

Danny Mills can expect a strongly worded letter from the LMA for making one of their members look stupid!

Don't see why, unless they operate like women!

does my bum look big in this?

no, actaully your bum is big,

A bit of honesty goes a long way

:lol:

Archived