BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Is it time to stop protesting and get behind the manager, the owners and the team?

Roost

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No one can deny that the protest has really highlighted Kean's crap career.

The protest has shown the fans have a voice.

To stop now, Kean would swing it that 100% of fans are behind him.

This is what Kean said before he found out about the fans protest, he laughed off the fans unhappy.

Well done Roost for having the balls to say what you think!

For the record, I actually agree with you, and I have been saying this in other related threads / topics (And we are not the only ones in fairness to others)

For me, there is no rights or wrongs here, we shouldn't forget that this experience is new and foreign to most of us, and, we are up against a Multi Million Pound business / organisation that have friends and influence in much higher places than us, and they were bound to get their act together at some stage.

The protest's and protesters have been an admirable and well intentioned bunch (I did march with you at the last game) and I think it's very harsh to criticise, especially the organisor's who have put their time, life & soul into it.

So, for me a list of the positive's to take from what has occurred to this point:

The pressure has been ramped up dramatically

A lot of focus has been placed upon the owners and the manager (And to an extent, the players)

The media are on the case (Although in this, there is and will continue to be a response from our owners)

There will be continued and an escalated level scrutiny in everything that Venky's and our management say and do

We've been, for the most part, using Social Media to our benefit, this adds to the above, to the extent that as a result, the management and owners saw banners at their match in India (Brilliant Coup)

I thought the letter to the papers (Telegraph / Guardian) was a great move

Most of the Radio interviews have been well recieved

We've shown we care and will not just sit around like United fans and allow our club to be used as a pawn

So, now some of the downsides and some possible suggestions:

Some of the personal attacks on the manager have not been helpful, but you can't legislate for a minority of folk, especially when they are very passionate about what they beleive in / value

In my view we've been aiming most of our fire at the wrong person, after all, he just took a dream job, whilst Venky's were responsible for all the carnage sacking BS, John Williams et all and then appointing and supporting Kean, I feel they are the ones that should feel the pain.

We've been losing the PR battle, as our owners use their business influence

As a result, I think we are losing the neutrals, and are being tarred with the wrong brush

Our protests are (Apparently) adversely affecting the players

I don't think we've been organised enough (Although to be fair, you can always use this, no matter how well you've deployed)

I don't think we have used the correct media enough, or well enough. (Again as above)

I think we should be aiming pressure and scrutiny via our MP, The relevent Parliamentary Committee, The FA & PL, they can force answers or re assurances

We need to up our game in India and Asia and for that, we need our Asian fan base / stakeholders, and our Social Media over there to deploy.

I think we could also possibly garnish more support from other clubs supporters?

"We want our Rovers Back" should be more our theme I think.

I think we should make Venky's the one target, lets be honest, they do have a poor track record to date, and have not been made accountable for their actions.

No one can deny that the protest has really highlighted Kean's crap career.

The protest has shown the fans have a voice.

To stop now, Kean would swing it that 100% of fans are behind him.

This is what Kean said before he found out about the fans protest, he laughed off the fans unhappy.

I couldnt agree more Chris.

The fans would have the same voice were they to actually meet the club on a formal basis, with an agenda, and talk through our reservations. What difference it would make is hard to predict, but in all honesty what difference are the protests making? That is not me making light of the brilliant effort everyone has put in to make the protests work, but I think they have not had sufficient impact to warrant doing it again on saturday.

I just think that if there is an offer to meet with senior people at the club, then it should be taken up - ok, it may have to be on their terms, but its a start.

Giving up is not an option, If anything the last 7 days has galvanised me and re-charged my batteries. The conversations I have had, the people I have spoke to, and the things which are becoming apparent by the day, Just spurs me on.

I never went into this blind, it was done with using all the statistical knowledge, all the facts which have been given to me by sources I use. This is about saving the football team we all love, Yes many will bury there head in the sands and believe things aint that bad, and many can only go off what they know.

People will say its a fight we can't win, Is this a reason to give up and not try?

People will say we are huge underdogs? Do you really believe that?

People will try to attach any branding or agenda to the protests to discredit why we are doing this, they want us to fail, they want us to make mistakes, they want us to fall flat on their faces. They are eagarly waiting for the that moment to raise their flags with the "We told you so".

However as a group we are doing what we think is right, We won't stand by a let our club suffer a painful death, There will be no blood on our hands, I would rather fail trying than not try at all.

Maybe football is too much of an obsession in my life, but thats how I was made and I wouldnt change it for one minute

Well done Roost for having the balls to say what you think!

For the record, I actually agree with you, and I have been saying this in other related threads / topics (And we are not the only ones in fairness to others)

For me, there is no rights or wrongs here, we shouldn't forget that this experience is new and foreign to most of us, and, we are up against a Multi Million Pound business / organisation that have friends and influence in much higher places than us, and they were bound to get their act together at some stage.

The protest's and protesters have been an admirable and well intentioned bunch (I did march with you at the last game) and I think it's very harsh to criticise, especially the organisor's who have put their time, life & soul into it.

So, for me a list of the positive's to take from what has occurred to this point:

The pressure has been ramped up dramatically

A lot of focus has been placed upon the owners and the manager (And to an extent, the players)

The media are on the case (Although in this, there is and will continue to be a response from our owners)

There will be continued and an escalated level scrutiny in everything that Venky's and our management say and do

We've been, for the most part, using Social Media to our benefit, this adds to the above, to the extent that as a result, the management and owners saw banners at their match in India (Brilliant Coup)

I thought the letter to the papers (Telegraph / Guardian) was a great move

Most of the Radio interviews have been well recieved

We've shown we care and will not just sit around like United fans and allow our club to be used as a pawn

So, now some of the downsides and some possible suggestions:

Some of the personal attacks on the manager have not been helpful, but you can't legislate for a minority of folk, especially when they are very passionate about what they beleive in / value

In my view we've been aiming most of our fire at the wrong person, after all, he just took a dream job, whilst Venky's were responsible for all the carnage sacking BS, John Williams et all and then appointing and supporting Kean, I feel they are the ones that should feel the pain.

We've been losing the PR battle, as our owners use their business influence

As a result, I think we are losing the neutrals, and are being tarred with the wrong brush

Our protests are (Apparently) adversely affecting the players

I don't think we've been organised enough (Although to be fair, you can always use this, no matter how well you've deployed)

I don't think we have used the correct media enough, or well enough. (Again as above)

I think we should be aiming pressure and scrutiny via our MP, The relevent Parliamentary Committee, The FA & PL, they can force answers or re assurances

We need to up our game in India and Asia and for that, we need our Asian fan base / stakeholders, and our Social Media over there to deploy.

I think we could also possibly garnish more support from other clubs supporters?

"We want our Rovers Back" should be more our theme I think.

I think we should make Venky's the one target, lets be honest, they do have a poor track record to date, and have not been made accountable for their actions.

Absolutely spot on, I couldn't agree with this more. It should resonate with everyone and seems like less of a personal atttack.

Poorly timed would be the likes of Bolton or Swansea at home. Games where we all HAVE to all get behind everybody. Also games where i'm sure the protest organisers wouldn't want to be made the scapegoats as would happen should we not win.

Its a difficult one this. When we protest against teams where we should lose (City, Spurs, Arsenal), we get ridiculed regardless of the result. But you make a fair point in respect of the 'winnable' games.

The most effective 'at-Ewood' protest will always be the reactionary one - e.g. if we were to lose (or even draw?) at home to Swansea, say. But of course you can't plan for that.

There will come a point, we may even be close to it now, where planned protests start to lose their effect.

I couldnt agree more Chris.

The fans would have the same voice were they to actually meet the club on a formal basis, with an agenda, and talk through our reservations. What difference it would make is hard to predict, but in all honesty what difference are the protests making? That is not me making light of the brilliant effort everyone has put in to make the protests work, but I think they have not had sufficient impact to warrant doing it again on saturday.

I just think that if there is an offer to meet with senior people at the club, then it should be taken up - ok, it may have to be on their terms, but its a start.

The impact os much larger than you may think, Just because its not in the public domain does not mean its not happening.

I have been contacted by many key figures, and some wish to remain in background at present which I know you want more, but i must respect there wishes, This weekend is make or break in terms of Venkys, As come Monday we will have free reign to release those names to you. There is also a meeting this week penciled in with us and the club, whilst one has been agreed for next week. So we have not turned down a meeting, we have just said we won't stop the protests on a promise,

Please bare with us because a lot of ground work is happening behind the scenes and we are talking to the right people including Jack Straw.

I don't report everything in forums because its important that the club does not know our every move

Giving up is not an option, If anything the last 7 days has galvanised me and re-charged my batteries. The conversations I have had, the people I have spoke to, and the things which are becoming apparent by the day, Just spurs me on.I never went into this blind, it was done with using all the statistical knowledge, all the facts which have been given to me by sources I use. This is about saving the football team we all love, Yes many will bury there head in the sands and believe things aint that bad, and many can only go off what they know.

People will say its a fight we can't win, Is this a reason to give up and not try?

People will say we are huge underdogs? Do you really believe that?

People will try to attach any branding or agenda to the protests to discredit why we are doing this, they want us to fail, they want us to make mistakes, they want us to fall flat on their faces. They are eagarly waiting for the that moment to raise their flags with the "We told you so".

However as a group we are doing what we think is right, We won't stand by a let our club suffer a painful death, There will be no blood on our hands, I would rather fail trying than not try at all.

Maybe football is too much of an obsession in my life, but thats how I was made and I wouldnt change it for one minute

Glen,

Is that not reason enough to try and engage with the owners in some way? If our club is worth fighting for, should we not look at all options available?

I wish you had been one of the Pune9!!

The impact os much larger than you may think, Just because its not in the public domain does not mean its not happening.

I have been contacted by many key figures, and some wish to remain in background at present which I know you want more, but i must respect there wishes, This weekend is make or break in terms of Venkys, As come Monday we will have free reign to release those names to you. There is also a meeting this week penciled in with us and the club, whilst one has been agreed for next week. So we have not turned down a meeting, we have just said we won't stop the protests on a promise,

Please bare with us because a lot of ground work is happening behind the scenes and we are talking to the right people including Jack Straw.

I don't report everything in forums because its important that the club does not know our every move

What changes this weekend Glen? I know you probably cant answer that but it seems strange that there is something about to time out that will allow you to disclose information.

When you say there is a meeting pencilled in this week, has an agenda been set? Who is representing the club and who is representing the fans? Could you post the agenda on here before the meeting?

Good luck with all, and keep doing what you believe in.

good news glen!!

Even we have 10000 km distance. I'll support you as I support this club!!

as long as venkys remain in this club. we will never get better.

Venkys Out!!

The fans will respond to what happens on the pitch - at the end of the day results are the be all and end all to most fans. It's obvious that the club is heading in the wrong direction and if nothing changes we will be relegated and will lose thousands of fans and a lot of them for good.

So what's the best scenario? We do and say nothing in the hope that Kean and the players respond [which is what Venky's are apparently hoping for], knowing that if they don't respond, the club is in huge trouble with relegation and all the financial impact of that, or we [the fans in general] take any opportunity to voice our dissatisfaction?

Glen,

Is that not reason enough to try and engage with the owners in some way? If our club is worth fighting for, should we not look at all options available?

I wish you had been one of the Pune9!!

Plus Roost don't you think that stepping up the protest to involve Venkys is almost moving from 3rd gear to 4th, its not the same old.

They have not been faced with direct protests and they were warned, they only have themselves to blame.

How will Venkys deal with this, it might even make the India press, sure they dont care about Kean in India but embarrass the Venkys.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

What changes this weekend Glen? I know you probably cant answer that but it seems strange that there is something about to time out that will allow you to disclose information.

When you say there is a meeting pencilled in this week, has an agenda been set? Who is representing the club and who is representing the fans? Could you post the agenda on here before the meeting?

Good luck with all, and keep doing what you believe in.

The club representatives have not been confirmed at this stage, and its an interim meeting ahead of a bigger meeting if that makes sense?

I will be there along with Simon, as will some of the fans who attended the supporters open meeting who put there names down, Kamy will also be in attendance.

Its a first step meeting and ALL will be reported back. There is not much more I can add at this stage apart from saying that we are on the ladder to getting these concerns heard

We're no longer seen as supporters/fans, we're just customers under Venkys ownership.

No we are not, a customer is always correct and if the product is not up to standard, its replaced.

Venkys dont give two hoots about supporters of Rovers. they're only interested in their Chicken Business!!

Sorry roost, but if anything the protests are too mild given the transformation of the Rovers from the best run club in the PL to a complete and utter bad joke.

Its comments like this that make me nervous.

I know people who have children who are not going to Ewood because of the protests. I have reassured them that so far its been ok but please don't come out with comments like that.

What needs to happen before these protests end ?

Kean out ?

Venkys to communicate ?

Whatever it takes I hope it happens soon and I urge Glen M to continue his communication with the club and hopefully we can see an end to all of this.

Sorry roost, but if anything the protests are too mild given the transformation of the Rovers from the best run club in the PL to a complete and utter bad joke.

If people want to get it in the Indian press giving Venky's bad press, then extremes will be needed.

I wonder how much was in the US press prior to 'that' protest by the liverpool fans?

The club representatives have not been confirmed at this stage, and its an interim meeting ahead of a bigger meeting if that makes sense?

I will be there along with Simon, as will some of the fans who attended the supporters open meeting who put there names down, Kamy will also be in attendance.

Its a first step meeting and ALL will be reported back. There is not much more I can add at this stage apart from saying that we are on the ladder to getting these concerns heard

It's good that you're meeting someone from the club Glen and is to be applauded, but I really can't see what they can offer you apart from more dialogue and the promise that everything's in hand. They aren't going to discuss sacking Kean with you.

Wait and see I guess. Meanwhile we head for the championship.

If people want to get it in the Indian press giving Venky's bad press, then extremes will be needed.

I wonder how much was in the US press prior to 'that' protest by the liverpool fans?

Americans investing in UK businesses is not unusual.

Indians investing is very rare and Venkys are representing all that is good about India intelligence and culture.

For them to fail and now be mocked for the terrible job they have done, I think it is big news, it's embarrasing for them for their country to look at them representing them poorly.

Mocking Kean is no big deal, he's always been a loser, but this is another level, Venkys have success and pride to be damaged (unlike Kean).

American's investing in UK businesses is not unusual.

Indian's investing is very rare and Venkys are representing all that is good about India intelligence and culture.

For them to fail and now be mocked for the terrible job they have done, I think it is big news, it's embarrasing for them for there country.

Mocking Kean is no big deal, he's always been a loser, but this is another level, they have success and pride (unlike Kean).

Indian investment is not that unusual- Britain's biggest manufacturing business is Indian.

However, the point about public failure is a valid one but we are battling the problem that in the big Indian picture, Venky's are relative nobodies and Rovers don't count.

Rovers rob, the people you know who are scared of the protesters to be frank are pathetic!

Bit harsh Abbey !!

Without going into to much detail my mate wants to take his son to his first game and while all these protests are going on there is not a cat in hells chance that this is going to happen. You can hardly blame them for feeling like this at the moment.

I think its a shame that it has come to this.

It's just another reason why Venkys need to sort this out.

Guest Rovers4Good

I am undecided on the protests.

Despite the best efforts of Glen et al, I don't really know what positive impact it's having and wondered whether it's worth pursuing.

I read Glens earlier post regarding the next protest plans and the deals that the club were trying to broker with the protest group and thought that it may be better to engage with the club and agree not to protest on the understanding that a meeting is held between the club, the manager and protest organisers.

If the club fail to deliver on their agreement to meet then their credibility will be shot, and this will hurt them more than the protests, especially if you keep the press involved.

As I said above, just a thought............

Oh dear :(

we support the club, we support the players, we don't support the manager and the owners. :(

Without going into to much detail my mate wants to take his son to his first game and while all these protests are going on there is not a cat in hells chance that this is going to happen. You can hardly blame them for feeling like this at the moment.

All I have seen the protesters do is walk down the road and chant a bit, and wave some posters, hardly disturbing stuff. I think the language and jostling is worse during a typical game.

Or is it that he is afraid of what could happen as opposed to what has happened?

Rovers rob, the people you know who are scared of the protesters to be frank are pathetic!

I have to agree.

I took my son as I've already said and I have to say it was the most non confrontational protest I've ever been on, at one point I thought they'd be handing out prawn sandwiches it was that nicey nicey.

Anyone scared to protest doesn't have a desire to protest in my book and is hiding behind excuses.

Archived