BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Give Kean a Break

- Didn't really have a reaction either way to the appointment of Kean, impressed with start under his reign but dissapointed at being involved in relegation battle. Dubious at the start of season but are now strongly convinced he should go.

This group would more accurately reflect my own feelings. I don't deny he's been unlucky and that some of the stick he gets is way over the top but an unlucky manager is just as useless to us as a rubbish one; and there is a strong argument he's both.

Performances are all well and good but points are king. What happens when we aren't playing so well? When the players aren't playing for the manager so much? We'll be screwed.

Regardless, our defensive record since he's taken over is SHOCKING. It is no good looking half decent in games (where we have done at times) if we are not capable of defending like professionals. I used to joke our defending was so bad under Souness if shaped Friedel into a superhero. We were good enough then that it didn't matter so much. Not so now.

Our chances of staying up would only increase, not decrease, were we to sack him and appoint a proper football manager. No other football club in the country would tolerate him still in charge given the context in which he was appointed and the situation we are now in. Regardless of our chances to get some points in the immediate fixtures, (which I'm actually quite hopeful about) he needs to go purely on this basis. Getting rid now in the international break is an almost risk-free proposition. It is inconceivable anyone could come in and do worse. Even if we appointed a dingle.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Defensively Rovers are along way short of what they were under Allardyce particularly at home. Opponents are allowed to get in crosses with ridiculous ease and sooner or later the centre backs fail to clear or only partially clear. Forget the unlucky goals at Norwich - they had numerous crosses from their left in the first half and missed clear chances from them. The wide midfielders don't cover anywhere near adequately and the the decision to allow Emerton to leave on deadline day without replacement was utterly crass. Kean has got lucky that Lowe has been a decent replacement for the slow as a snail Salgado. Playing Givet at LB cost numerous goals in the early games and I suspect he is only now in his proper CB position because of injuries. Managers live and die on these decisions and Kean has made a complete mess of the wide positions. He has also left the squad with totally inadequate strikers. After promising big money would be spent on that position he landed a couple of puddings. Anyone who believes Yak or Goodwillie (Roberts is a long-proven non-scorer) will score enough goals to stay up is living in cloud-cuckoo land. And a team stranded at the bottom will not attract a proven scorer -that should have been done in the summer. Even if those were the only failings - and there are many others -it is more than enough to condemn him after nearly 12 months in charge.

To be fair, he's twice now claimed they away support are fully behind him. Whilst I'll acknowledge our recent 99% sack/back polls aren't a true representation of things, they are a damn sight nearer than SK is implying.

Defensively Rovers are along way short of what they were under Allardyce particularly at home. Opponents are allowed to get in crosses with ridiculous ease and sooner or later the centre backs fail to clear or only partially clear. Forget the unlucky goals at Norwich - they had numerous crosses from their left in the first half and missed clear chances from them. The wide midfielders don't cover anywhere near adequately and the the decision to allow Emerton to leave on deadline day without replacement was utterly crass. Kean has got lucky that Lowe has been a decent replacement for the slow as a snail Salgado. Playing Givet at LB cost numerous goals in the early games and I suspect he is only now in his proper CB position because of injuries. Managers live and die on these decisions and Kean has made a complete mess of the wide positions. He has also left the squad with totally inadequate strikers. After promising big money would be spent on that position he landed a couple of puddings. Anyone who believes Yak or Goodwillie (Roberts is a long-proven non-scorer) will score enough goals to stay up is living in cloud-cuckoo land. And a team stranded at the bottom will not attract a proven scorer -that should have been done in the summer. Even if those were the only failings - and there are many others -it is more than enough to condemn him after nearly 12 months in charge.

Good post.

I seem to have got a lot of people's backs up here. Are we not playing some of the best football since 95/96?? It wasnt too long ago we and you lot where all singing Steve Keans blue and white army after beating Liverpool 3-1 was it? Did we PLAY better football under Allardyce? No! my point was the football is there we just need a little bit of luck a few good results and then no doubt these boards will be flooded with messages of praise. lets see what the next games bring, if it brings defeats lets jufge then not after losing to Chelsea eh?

No absolutely nothing anywhere near as good football as 1994/5.

In fact (forgetting about the results) this is the most imbalanced Rovers team I have seen since some of the formations Bobby Saxton used to put out.

And the quality of the football is distinctly so-so.

Midfield passing is hit and miss as the skill of passing and running into space is one that was only acquired when the new guy arrived as "Assistant Chief Coach but maybe Assistant Manager depending on whether Paul Agnew swore at the cat this morning".

I love seeing a well organised defence and a team that defends from the front. So that's me scuppered when it comes to watching Rovers.

And it is always great to see a forward who carries real menace..... Goodwillie, Roberts and Yak give me nightmares but opposition defenders have sweet dreams before facing them.

I have to say Chris, well done on posting such a brilliant wind-up!

People are welcome to their opinion, after all that's what this messageboard's about. But it is a rather strange one you hold. I'd say there's four main groups of people here (know i'm generalising here a bit I know, but it's gives some idea).

1 Didn't like Kean's appoitment from the beginning, hatred has grown and grown and now Steve Kean is satan in human form to them.

2 Unsure about Kean's intial appointment, unconvinced by him last season and that has grown and grown this season. This group of people now also hate Steve Kean with a passion.

3 Didn't really have a reaction either way to the appointment of Kean, impressed with start under his reign but dissapointed at being involved in relegation battle. Dubious at the start of season but are now strongly convinced he should go.

4 Gave the Kean appointment the benefit of doubt and allowed last season's poor performances due to a new manager needing time to settle in. Concerned about this season so far but clinching to hope that recent performances have been an improvement. Would prefer another manager but does think there's a chance Kean could change things.

I'd say the large majority of people on this messageboard are covered in the top two groups.

Put me in the 1st group

Hi to everyone,

I can not believe what i witnessed at Ewood on Saturday afternoon what with the plane and further protests. I do believe Steve Kean can turn our our recent bad fortune around and make us a top 6 club within 2-3 years i really do. The football we are displaying is the best since our title winning season and the players seem to be fit and happy to play for him. I also think he has been shrewd in the transfer market i.e Yakubu, Dann, Formica, Rochina and Petrovic with not so much investment. I agree his team line ups have been somewhat of a mystery recently but the lads always put on a captivating performance which we should be happy with. We need to get behind the lads and the manager as i believe we can get ourselves out of the trouble where in. GET BEHIND THE TEAM

Hi Chris, I respect your opinion and as glenn said it is important that both sides are debated so keep it up.

However, it will be a cold day in hell I will ever support Kean and that will never change I don't care if we win 20 matches on the trot. The team will always get my full support. Kean will never get my support but you are fully entitled to your opinion.

No can do

Chris, fair play to you for sticking your head above the parapet. I agree that the protesters should lay off for a week or two and that's from someone who protested against Arsenal and Spurs.

I believe this because I have absolutely no faith in Rovers winning at either Wigan or Stoke under kean. Removing the 'negativity' for a couple of weeks, removes that excuse, there won't be any left.

You must surely agree that if we don't win either of those he has to go and if so, what will you do about it?

Archived