BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Kean versus McCarthy

mark

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least Martinez has SOME measure of success as a manager and earned himself a top-flight job.

I don't even know what your point is here, Imy. Seems you're trying to split hairs for some inexplicable defence of Kean. Kean's in his element working with the 'loons', because he would never have a job otherwise!

Making a simple point that there are managers out there with worst records than Kean in a job with little to no pressure. Kind of counters the point that a number on here make that at any other club Kean would be fired. May seem like splitting hairs but Kean had turned down SPL jobs so in essence would have had experience at a level similar to Martinez had he chosen it (also had an offer of second division Spain team)

Making a simple point that there are managers out there with worst records than Kean in a job with little to no pressure. Kind of counters the point that a number on here make that at any other club Kean would be fired. May seem like splitting hairs but Kean had turned down SPL jobs so in essence would have had experience at a level similar to Martinez had he chosen it (also had an offer of second division Spain team)

Eh?

So NOT taking an SPL job gives him kudos? It means bugger all about his managerial credentials. With far worse players, I wager he would have made an even bigger hash of Kilmarnock than he has here.

Martinez HAD done it elsewhere as a manager, therefore deserved his chance.

Making a simple point that there are managers out there with worst records than Kean in a job with little to no pressure.

Like Mick McCarthy?

Kind of counters the point that a number on here make that at any other club Kean would be fired. May seem like splitting hairs but Kean had turned down SPL jobs so in essence would have had experience at a level similar to Martinez had he chosen it (also had an offer of second division Spain team)

So you're assuming Kean would have been a success at those levels?

Simply put McCarthy is a good manager who stayed one season too long at wolves. He will get a job no problem and get back into the prem sooner rather than later.

Kean will never ever manage another football club at any level. I would take McCarthy in a heart beat.

Mick has also been honest the whole way through this season and not continually lied to his fans.

Like Mick McCarthy?

So you're assuming Kean would have been a success at those levels?

You are assuming Kean would not have been, based on Kean being the better manager % wise in a better league what's to say Kean would have struggled at a lower level?

Mick McCarthy always in that tracksuit has been an unglamouress manager for an unglamouress club but has gotten results, a few articles say it.

I found a few articles reading the news today:

Four years ago McCarthy turned down the South Korea job after being named on a two-man shortlist along with former Villa boss Gerard Houllier.

He led Ireland between February 1996 and November 2002, guiding them to the World Cup finals of 2002 in Japan and South Korea.

http://www.sundaymercury.net/midlands-sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/wolverhampton-wanderers-news/2012/01/15/wolves-mick-mccarthy-eyes-return-to-international-fold-66331-30124159/

Long tenure with both Ireland Republic and Wolves.

http://asia.eurosport.com/football/premier-league/2011-2012/wolves-job-the-candidates_sto3151877/story.shtml

Just not positive he'd be the right fit for Rovers but nonetheless, would take him over Kean and probably a number of others.

McCarthy could go back into International Management as well.

Wolves at Newcastle next. Probably not the match you want to start out with with Steve Bruce but we will see.

But the Wolves were punchless, still their worse defeat of the season was probably that last game.

Swansea was a lower league but based purely on % he is poor plus Kean has had to work with the loons from Pune, Martinez has a top owner on his side.

Eh? He got Swansea promoted and then into the playoffs of a higher division. Therefore, he deserved his shot at the Prem. The Wigan side he took over was poorer than the Rovers side that Kean inherited. Yet the percentages are almost the same.

Martinez hasn't done wonders, but Wigan have the smallest budget in the league.

• Moderation Lead

Imy, I can only presume you're arguing to try and get a rise out of people. Kean has shown in his tenure with us, that wherever he went, he would be a poor manager.

He got over-promoted beyond his capabilities and using win percentages from other prem managers is a bit mischievous.

They ALL deserved chances at their current positions because of achievements elsewhere.

Highly doubtful he'll be getting any further employment when he does eventually leave BRFC.

Kean didn't turn down any SPL jobs.

Imy, I can only presume you're arguing to try and get a rise out of people. Kean has shown in his tenure with us, that wherever he went, he would be a poor manager.

He got over-promoted beyond his capabilities and using win percentages from other prem managers is a bit mischievous.

They ALL deserved chances at their current positions because of achievements elsewhere.

Highly doubtful he'll be getting any further employment when he does eventually leave BRFC.

Do you believe that nobody in football would give a manager who has been in charge of a prem club for 50 games or so (and is also a SEM client) a chance?

I wouldn't be surprised to see him at a Championship club. I don't think he will be a success but chairman can be pretty thick.

• Moderation Lead

Do you believe that nobody in football would give a manager who has been in charge of a prem club for 50 games or so (and is also a SEM client) a chance?

I wouldn't be surprised to see him at a Championship club. I don't think he will be a success but chairman can be pretty thick.

Maybe I'm getting too personal, because of his utter gashness since being in charge of us, but I would be genuinely shocked if he got another job.

The only other similar example of an instance similar to Steve Kean is Ricky Sbragia at Sunderland, and he wound up being a coach again I believe?

Certainly no further managerial employment!

League 1, league 2 at best.

Everyone in football knows he is crap.

Kean didn't turn down any SPL jobs.

Yes he did, Dundee or Kilmarnock.

I am not trying to get a rise out of anyone, simply pointing out that Kean has a better record than Martinez, other chairmen have and will back managers with poor records so ours is not unique in that sense.

There is also a school of thought that people who have been number twos for long enough and are qualified should be given a shot at a premier league job, why else did Sammy Lee,Ricky S get jobs?

Mc Carthy has proved himself at championship level , Kean has not , I doubt very much Kean will get a job in British football again at any level .When finally he leaves Rovers , the man is a snake ...

I will say that McCarthy and Warnock are probably not Prem managers and maybe Coyle but will reserve judgment on him...

Archived