BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Financial problems?

Pete1981

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IF the reported figure was £7m as is being speculated here, it would appear that Kean has been telling fibs again! He stated that the offers in January were not enough, whereas this one was 'substantial', hence them accepting the bid.

Has he had his hand forced by Venkys/Barclays?

IF the reported figure was £7m as is being speculated here, it would appear that Kean has been telling fibs again! He stated that the offers in January were not enough, whereas this one was 'substantial', hence them accepting the bid.

Has he had his hand forced by Venkys/Barclays?

If it was venkys he should walk on principal, if it was Barclays he should still blame the venkys and walk

What a surprise Vineeth's statement has been met with total cynicism!

This is not how to manage communications.

Especially when there are very strong rumours that a super agent- not JA- is already holding a mandate to do what Vineeth is denying given by Auntie Mrs D

What a surprise Vineeth's statement has been met with total cynicism!

This is not how to manage communications.

Especially when there are very strong rumours that a super agent- not JA- is already holding a mandate to do what Vineeth is denying given by Auntie Mrs D

Just mentioned in another topic Philipl.

This surely is just asset stripping if this happens? Venkys aren't doing this for the good of the football club. Surely they don't think they can make a sustainable PL side without putting their own money in? They can only be looking at selling every asset possible, taking as much of the sky/parachute money as possible and buggering off?

What else really makes sense?

If it was venkys he should walk on principal, if it was Barclays he should still blame the venkys and walk

More chance of Kean getting the England job

Very true - incentive pay in and of itself is an excellent tactic to get the best out employees in performance critical positions, such as athletes and sales professions - indeed in almost all positions and industries there is a positive effect on productivity AND morale with the right level and form of incentive pay. The key is finding the right triggers for the individual situation. And, IMHO, the base salary in this instance is much too high. Should almost be the other way around, i.e. 10k a week base, 20k for a start, 15k for a sub appearance, 5k for a clean sheet, 10k win bonus, 5k goal bonus, 5k assist bonus, bonuses for tackling success rate over a season, pass completion rate, plus add in other team level incentive pay etc...then you really start seeing people fighting for places and once on the pitch fighting for each other. Sadly that ship has largely sailed now that the big base salary has become standard fare.

Thats one view and its been heavily contested. There are as many studies that show motivation is not corelated to financial performance based incentives - espicially in the long run. In fact these studies show that they have a negative effect. And since footy is a TEAM game individual performance based incentives do little to facilitate teamspirit and work towards common goals. They are more likely to produce selfishnes, angry players being placed on the bench creating unrest(cos the miss out on 10K) etc. etc.

As to the fighting for once place in the team... there have been plenty of situations where player a injures player b in a "training accident". I'd much rather have qaulitative incentives such as progessing physically according to goals set by training staff - a la AC Milan.

There are no direct generic input - output formula that can be applied to people. In my view and there is plenty of theory and studies to back that up - as there are studies that would back up your view.

Just mentioned in another topic Philipl.

This surely is just asset stripping if this happens? Venkys aren't doing this for the good of the football club. Surely they don't think they can make a sustainable PL side without putting their own money in? They can only be looking at selling every asset possible, taking as much of the sky/parachute money as possible and buggering off?

What else really makes sense?

More chance of Kean getting the England job

With letters of support from all the managers in the universe why not?

Where has the £7m Samba figure come from?

Samba himself has said its £12m (fair enough not necessarily all upfront) and we already know about the 20% sell on Hertha had attached.

Maybe its 7 Mill net to the club,

sorry I meant Mrs D

Thats one view and its been heavily contested. There are as many studies that show motivation is not corelated to financial performance based incentives - espicially in the long run. In fact these studies show that they have a negative effect. And since footy is a TEAM game individual performance based incentives do little to facilitate teamspirit and work towards common goals. They are more likely to produce selfishnes, angry players being placed on the bench creating unrest(cos the miss out on 10K) etc. etc.

As to the fighting for once place in the team... there have been plenty of situations where player a injures player b in a "training accident". I'd much rather have qaulitative incentives such as progessing physically according to goals set by training staff - a la AC Milan.

There are no direct generic input - output formula that can be applied to people. In my view and there is plenty of theory and studies to back that up - as there are studies that would back up your view.

Thoroughly agree there is no set general input-output formula that produces results, and I admit that my post was a very generic form of what I meant. I think that general winning bonuses, clean sheet bonuses, etc. are great, but when you get to personal performance such as appearances, goals scored, etc. you get in dangerous territory. I admittedly went over the top on those. These things should be done on an individual basis, and your idea that you tie pay to physical training progression or other personal goals is an excellent example of this.

My main point is that people generally tend to try harder if there is incentive to do so, an incentive that is sufficient for the person to strive for it - for some that is financial, for some it is something else. I admit it could be hard to financially incentivize a person who is already making £1m a year.

Maybe its 7 Mill net to the club,

sorry I meant Mrs D

Impossible to say, it has already been shown that the reporting of the fees has no bearing on what is really going on, as there is no standard presentation as to what is actually being talked about. For all we know it could be £3m plus that we save £9m in wages over the next 4 years due to not having to pay him...although that is highly unlikely...

We had a debt of 26m at the close of last season following an 18m loss.

The 26m debt consisted of the inherited 14m debt, a newly acquired 7m debt as well as the 5m loan given to us by Venky's London.

The reason the debt only grew by 7m is because the owners injected 10m of capital to cover part of the loss.

By the end of the Summer transfer window we made a profit of at least 10m on player trading.

After decreasing our wage bill in Jan, but losing money from other revenue streams, I'd estimate our operating loss to be around 5m again.

Selling Samba for circa 10m and depositing 2m to the bank means that Venky's acquired at least 22m to cover the remaining 21m debt plus the estimated 5m operating loss for this season.

Owners have thus far, including purchasing the club, spent 37m on the club plus provided 5m loan. All the money that they have earned from player sales have gone towards clearing our bank debt to what must be close to 0 now.

Should we survive relegation this season, we will have virtually zero debt and a significantly reduced wage bill, plus youngsters with enough experience to become key players for us just as N'zonzi has.

Correct me if my numbers are wrong, but I am pretty sure they are correct.

We had a debt of 26m at the close of last season following an 18m loss.

The 26m debt consisted of the inherited 14m debt, a newly acquired 7m debt as well as the 5m loan given to us by Venky's London.

The reason the debt only grew by 7m is because the owners injected 10m of capital to cover part of the loss.

By the end of the Summer transfer window we made a profit of at least 10m on player trading.

After decreasing our wage bill in Jan, but losing money from other revenue streams, I'd estimate our operating loss to be around 5m again.

Selling Samba for circa 10m and depositing 2m to the bank means that Venky's acquired at least 22m to cover the remaining 21m debt plus the estimated 5m operating loss for this season.

Owners have thus far, including purchasing the club, spent 37m on the club plus provided 5m loan. All the money that they have earned from player sales have gone towards clearing our bank debt to what must be close to 0 now.

Should we survive relegation this season, we will have virtually zero debt and a significantly reduced wage bill, plus youngsters with enough experience to become key players for us just as N'zonzi has.

Correct me if my numbers are wrong, but I am pretty sure they are correct.

Well that made me feel all warm and cosy inside,

NOT

:blink:

Archived