BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Music/gigs

3 hours ago, Upside Down said:

I find it somewhat disgusting that a band that loves to play up their 'ard working class' origins would charge actual working class people £150 a ticket to go to their gig.

I suppose when you're only in it for the money it's not a difficult decision.

Under the 'dynamic' system, the prices went up to around triple that on Ticketmaster so it got much worse, with the band's specific blessing too I believe.

Cunts.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gav said:

@oldjamfan1

Great song, great cover.

Weller and Noel seem suitably impressed at times throughout the song. 

Nice one Gav. From that same Jam covers album there’s a really unusual take on Going Underground by Buffalo Tom. Ben Harper’s version of Modern World is good as well.

• Like 1

On 29/08/2024 at 18:54, K-Hod said:

Was never gonna be less than a ton, this one. Gigs cost a lot more nowadays, as artists make bugger all from record sales, due to streaming, so they recoup it from gig tickets. 
I reckon it’s fair enough tbh, if you’re a big fan.

On the other hand, it's a bit shit for the mid-range bands who aren't going to attract 100,000-strong queues. Best part of £80 or £90 to see the Damned or Anthrax at the Wolves Civic when I checked. Status Quo (I forget the venue) cost similar. These days I am down to keeping an eye on the local venues and theatres and only looking periodically for when five or six 'big' bands tour. Simply can't afford to be a casual concert goer for the bigger bands these days.

(One of the joys of the smaller venues is being able to afford a pint, should you so wish. Was just shy of a tenner for one at Wembley Arena back in March and the O2 venues are £8.50 I think... I tend to be teetotal for those occasions!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, only2garners said:

We're going to see London Grammar at the AO Arena and Paul Heaton at the Liverpool Arena in the next couple of months - both £35 plus booking fee.

Paul Heaton has always been a top bloke with actual principles.

2 hours ago, GHR said:

On the other hand, it's a bit shit for the mid-range bands who aren't going to attract 100,000-strong queues. Best part of £80 or £90 to see the Damned or Anthrax at the Wolves Civic when I checked. Status Quo (I forget the venue) cost similar. These days I am down to keeping an eye on the local venues and theatres and only looking periodically for when five or six 'big' bands tour. Simply can't afford to be a casual concert goer for the bigger bands these days.

(One of the joys of the smaller venues is being able to afford a pint, should you so wish. Was just shy of a tenner for one at Wembley Arena back in March and the O2 venues are £8.50 I think... I tend to be teetotal for those occasions!)

The worst part of all these shit reunion gigs is that smaller bands can no longer get any bigger because all the decent spots are taken up by bloated, half arsed cash grab reunions.

Also, all the medium sized venues are rapidly disappearing. It's either a tiny club or an arena with nothing in between. The live music scene everywhere is in an absolute dire state and people need to get out to see local gigs and keep the scene alive before it disappears forever.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Upside Down said:

Paul Heaton has always been a top bloke with actual principles.

The worst part of all these shit reunion gigs is that smaller bands can no longer get any bigger because all the decent spots are taken up by bloated, half arsed cash grab reunions.

Also, all the medium sized venues are rapidly disappearing. It's either a tiny club or an arena with nothing in between. The live music scene everywhere is in an absolute dire state and people need to get out to see local gigs and keep the scene alive before it disappears forever.

My usual haunt down here in lieu of the Wolves Civic or the big jobs in Birmingham is KK's Steel Mill in Wolves. Geared towards rock and metal (it is sponsored by the ex Judas Priest guitarist KK Downing, whose cousin is Rovers' assistant manager!) and though not the best layout/acoustics, it is cheap, cheerful, feels 'real' and gets decent names on. Not the flashiest of joints but offers a space for punters to have a proper experience and relevant bands of all shapes and sizes a stage.

Night and day compared to the trek to the O2 jobs in Birmingham with their 'wedge 'em in, bleed 'em dry' approach as an attendee.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GHR said:

My usual haunt down here in lieu of the Wolves Civic or the big jobs in Birmingham is KK's Steel Mill in Wolves. Geared towards rock and metal (it is sponsored by the ex Judas Priest guitarist KK Downing, whose cousin is Rovers' assistant manager!) and though not the best layout/acoustics, it is cheap, cheerful, feels 'real' and gets decent names on. Not the flashiest of joints but offers a space for punters to have a proper experience and relevant bands of all shapes and sizes a stage.

Night and day compared to the trek to the O2 jobs in Birmingham with their 'wedge 'em in, bleed 'em dry' approach as an attendee.

I always loved Priest. A proper band. It takes real bollocks to be openly gay in the 1980s metal scene.

• Like 1