BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Manager

den

Just to add a touch of perspective - Hughes was reportedly (i have no way of verifying it) earning 3 million a year and based on who his advisor is i don't suspect he would come here for less...

Brown is a freakshow i agree but he has done what is required at this level, likewise Davies. Glen Hoddle can @#/? off (personal) and i'm not convinced that Grayson is a step up from our caretaker or even McDonald!

Hughes is still an option IMO. We offer him a decent wage with a very subsatantial bonus if he gets us promoted this season OR next season.

Hughes cannot expect any prem team wanting him soon due to his recent form and therefore should be prepared to accept a drop in wages, but with a carrot dangling.

We must expect a manager big enough for us!! When Kean left there was a poll and some big names were mentioned.

A few months on and we seem to have set the bar much lower. Brown, Grayson, Boothroyd, we've even got a thread on whether Bowyer (1 game!!) may be suitable, (albeit I think it was started as a bit tongue in cheek).

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2005/2006 - Saved Blackpool from Relegation to League 2 after Colin Hendry was sacked during the season.

2006/2007 - 3rd place finish with Blackpool and promoted through the play-offs.

2007/2008 - 19th in the Championship with Blackpool - Good for them at the time and signs the basis for Holloway's team

2008/2009 - Leaves Blackpool mid-season and drops down a division to manage Leeds United - Finishes 4th but lost in Play offs

2009/2010 - Finishes 2nd with Leeds in League 1

2010/2011 - 7th place finish with Leeds in the Championship

2011/2012 - Sacked with Leeds in 9th and only 3 points off the play off places - Takes over at Huddersfield and wins promotion from League 1 through the play offs.

Hasn't done too badly IMO. Seems an unfashionable manager though.

Also Knows how to get the best out of Rhodes. Worth a shout imo. As to any good for prem - who knows. Need to get there first.

Just out of interest as we now need a manager and a backroom team, which element of this is most vital (I know stupid question as we have needed an experienced Manager for 2 years)

However surely the coaches also need to be armed with the experience of Managing many ex prem players , internationals , whilst being good motivators and being able to implement a higher capacity of fitness etc too.

All Manager need a good back room team, and I do think the appointment of the backroom team which ever Manager comes in is equally as important

Just out of interest as we now need a manager and a backroom team, which element of this is most vital (I know stupid question as we have needed an experienced Manager for 2 years)

However surely the coaches also need to be armed with the experience of Managing many ex prem players , internationals , whilst being good motivators and being able to implement a higher capacity of fitness etc too.

All Manager need a good back room team, and I do think the appointment of the backroom team which ever Manager comes in is equally as important

Got to be a manager Glen, simply because they need to be able to bring in their own team, so that they are solely accountable for results. It really is that simple.

Definitely but the new manager needs to have the say on that back room team Glen. He needs to surround himself with people he trusts.

If we appoint coaches before a manager it's another huge own goal. The manager should know who he wants to work with.

When we cleared out all of the coaches (apart from Hendry for some stupid reason) I honestly thought we were paving the way for the tafia to come in. It would have made sense.

Yes - good solid back room team is key - but any manager would want to pick his own team to work with them as trust is a key aspect. Also if they have worked together previously they obviously know their capabilities and how they go about their daily work.

Most good managers have solid assistants too - Moyes/Round, Allardyce/MacDonald, Martinez/Jones.

I totally agree the manager has to bring his own backroom team in, I think the point I was trying to make is who is available to be brought in by the Manager is something which will need to be considered.

You could get for e.g a top Manager who cannot get the coaches in to replace the ones which went, and he could end up bringing in an experiment backroom team.

To be honest, I think the backroom team is totally irrelevant as they are representatives of the manager - the man who should pick them. It should all boil down to whoever the manager wants as it is they who will get the sack or a new contract based on results.

Somehow, I think we'll be bringing in coaches before a manager, which would be absolutely ridiculous.

Brown bombed at Preston and can't even get a lower league job ( ring any bells Henning?) so is sure to be in with a shout.

That's my view on Brown as well. Failed at Preston so why would we expect him to be any good here?

Trouble is people like chaddy (no offence to him) glibly talk about choosing between the likes of Hoddle and SGE and I think it would be quite optimistic to assume people of that profile would be interested. There is no indication they were before Berg was appointed and the trouble is now that there is an outside perception that we are impossible to work for given Berg only got 10 games - irrespective of whether it was the right decision.

That's before any Boardroom bickering is taken into account and the fact that Shebby reduces our credibility yet further every time he goes before a mike. Imo he is a nice chap who genuinely wants us to do well and it would appear he has the final say on everything, Shaw and Agnew dont seem to have any actual influence at all, but he is completely out of his depth. If we'd gone with Shaw's reported choice of Holloway before Berg perhaps wed have been saved this latest aggro.

I totally agree the manager has to bring his own backroom team in, I think the point I was trying to make is who is available to be brought in by the Manager is something which will need to be considered.

You could get for e.g a top Manager who cannot get the coaches in to replace the ones which went, and he could end up bringing in an experiment backroom team.

Having a good experienced manager though would naturally mean they have a network of contacts and people they know who would want to work with them.

Remember talking with Curbishley a year ago and he said first thing he would do upon taking a new job would be to bring in people to make his job easier - of course due to availability you may not be able to get them but the benefits of having a credible manager in charge is that people will want to work with them.

Manager with proven experience and given a free hand in putting his own team together is the only way.

correct .... but we havnt had that in 2 years ... what makes you think we're gona get it now ? we should all know by now Venkys do not learn from their mistakes ..... i'm sure there was a quote from Mrs D quite soon after the takeover were she said something like in business you can only ever make 1 mistake .... Ha !!! i'm trying to think of a decision these clowns have made in the last 2 years that wasnt a mistake

The thing we do not know is if or how much money is available, this will reflect on if it's just a manager or a manager and his backroom team, not only that have we got the people who could negotiate releases for a managers backroom team if currently employed.

As Ricky mentioned getting rid of the backroom team (except Hendry ) made you think somebody and their backroom team were already lined up, but logic doesn't seem to come into it anymore

Archived