BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Manager

den

I totally agree the manager has to bring his own backroom team in, I think the point I was trying to make is who is available to be brought in by the Manager is something which will need to be considered.

You could get for e.g a top Manager who cannot get the coaches in to replace the ones which went, and he could end up bringing in an experiment backroom team.

I think whoever venkys, shebby, or board decide to bring in they should have some balls and conviction and just get it done with without worrying about what the fans think or what BRAG thinks, if that means ALi and Mcdonal so be it, and we will just have to let them no about it on the terraces if it continues to go wrong, and they will feel it in their pocket big time, they have to succeed or fail on their own terms. I think BRAG and fans associaitons can benefit the club in many ways, but should not interfere with playing staff and 1st team management staff, just as shebby, agnew, Shaw or Venkys shouldn't. Pick someone with the skills and ideas for the football pitch, invest in them your trust and backing, leave them to it (including allowing them a budget to pick their own assistant and coaches who will share a short hand, share ideas and trust AND NOT END UP WITH MORE INFIGHTING AND CONFUSION) if things are going wrong after a reasonable amount of time then terminate their contract, try to learn from mistakes and then start the process again.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just out of interest as we now need a manager and a backroom team, which element of this is most vital (I know stupid question as we have needed an experienced Manager for 2 years)

However surely the coaches also need to be armed with the experience of Managing many ex prem players , internationals , whilst being good motivators and being able to implement a higher capacity of fitness etc too.

All Manager need a good back room team, and I do think the appointment of the backroom team which ever Manager comes in is equally as important

Sounds like Singh is getting to you Glen.

We need an experienced, cohesive management team. The manager has to be in overall charge and any coaches must therefore be handpicked by the manager. If they arrive before him, I'm not too concerned - but the HAVE to be his men.

I think whoever venkys, shebby, or board decide to bring in they should have some balls and conviction and just get it done with without worrying about what the fans think or what BRAG thinks, if that means ALi and Mcdonal so be it, and we will just have to let them no about it on the terraces if it continues to go wrong, and they will feel it in their pocket big time, they have to succeed or fail on their own terms. I think BRAG and fans associaitons can benefit the club in many ways, but should not interfere with playing staff and 1st team management staff, just as shebby, agnew, Shaw or Venkys shouldn't. Pick someone with the skills and ideas for the football pitch, invest in them your trust and backing, leave them to it (including allowing them a budget to pick their own assistant and coaches who will share a short hand, share ideas and trust AND NOT END UP WITH MORE INFIGHTING AND CONFUSION) if things are going wrong after a reasonable amount of time then terminate their contract, try to learn from mistakes and then start the process again.

Sorry but that's nonsense, even the most averagely intelligent rovers fan has a better understanding of football and of who would be a good manager than all the venky family and shebby put together and if it seems there about to make a massive mistake the least we can do is try let them know before its to late.

p.s. your post is like a dying star falling in on its self it has that many contradiction

We need an experienced, cohesive management team. The manager has to be in overall charge and any coaches must therefore be handpicked by the manager. If they arrive before him, I'm not too concerned - but the HAVE to be his men.

Problem is - I can't think of many realistic names who the majority would be happy with or who would be deemed an acceptable appointment .

Hughes - unlikely and costs big money (for his staff too).

Grayson - perhaps?

Curbishley - very picky and doesn't seem keen to return to management

Can't think of too many more.

We need an experienced strong manager, who trusts and is 100% happy with his back room team.

Out of interest would Arry of done the business for us??

Shebby wants a yes man who will be over the moon to take the job, because in normal cirumstances we'd be way out of their league i.e Berg, why on Earth would Grayson want to stoop to that level when he's got a steady job at Huddersfield? We will only get someone who is unemployed/ a coach somewhere and desperate for a return to management.

Shebby wants a yes man who will be over the moon to take the job, because in normal cirumstances we'd be way out of their league i.e Berg, why on Earth would Grayson want to stoop to that level when he's got a steady job at Huddersfield? We will only get someone who is unemployed and desperate for a return to management.

Who do you think put Keans name forward at that time?

Just out of interest as we now need a manager and a backroom team, which element of this is most vital (I know stupid question as we have needed an experienced Manager for 2 years)

However surely the coaches also need to be armed with the experience of Managing many ex prem players , internationals , whilst being good motivators and being able to implement a higher capacity of fitness etc too.

All Manager need a good back room team, and I do think the appointment of the backroom team which ever Manager comes in is equally as important

Glen new experienceed manager bringing in his own. backroom staff left to run team affairs on their own

Not handpicked by Shebby or Agnew and no interference preferably with Shebby and Agnew no longer at the club...better still without Venkys but at this moment in time that's a line way off

Here's a list of out of work managers or waiting to move into management (fairly current, month or so old by the looks of it) and who they are linked with interestingly theres a Steve Kean linked to Rovers !! (they wouldn't dare would they?) http://www.thesackrace.com/job-centre

Personally think we might end up with somebody like Nigel Worthington

Sorry but that's nonsense, even the most averagely intelligent rovers fan has a better understanding of football and of who would be a good manager than all the venky family and shebby put together and if it seems there about to make a massive mistake the least we can do is try let them know before its to late.

p.s. your post is like a dying star falling in on its self it has that many contradiction

There is nothing wrong with a few contradictions, I'm sorry about my lazy spelling though. words that keep popping up again and again in the press when it come to rovers are 'rudderless ship', 'headless chickens' etc, we are now banging on about an experienced manager who will be a strong leader, BRFC is an organization, VEnkys are supposed to be at the top of that organization, one constant is that their leadership has been weak and waivering, until that changes not much else will. Putting all of the stories of third party influences aside, one could say from the very beginning Venkys may have listened too much to the fans, lots of people have become big Allardyce fans now, but two years ago that was far from the case, if it was a minority it was a very large minority who were fed up Allardyce's style, I think rather a lot less people were bothered about his sacking then as they are now. Just as far too many were too enthusiastic about Keans appointment, looking forward to the exciting style of football, nobody wanted an experienced manager then, it seemed more people were more concerned about having a progressive young manager, our own Owen Coyle, thats what we got. It seems Billy Mckinlay was going to be a potential rovers manager, may be he would have been a big success, but then the fans mood put an end to that move. Why are we all so sure that the new manager should be experienced now? because of the off field issues they have to tolerate? wouldn;t it be best to address the off field problems so we then have a broader range of managers to choose from? isn;t essential to sort out those problems anyway? possibly a lesser experienced manager who could be a greater succees? I'm sure our much respected John Williams didn;t go to the supporters to sense their mood when making important decisions. Even if Venkys have less football knowledge they aren;t going to learn more if they don;t man up and grap the club by the scruff of its neck, and even having some physical presence at Ewood.

Of course it was. The main problems lay within the club, of course.

That was my point, I'm sure we could have hired better managers last time but they chose Berg because they want a yes man and somebody desperate to prove themselves. By all accounts Holloway was up for it last time but clearly wouldn't have been a yes man or able to keep his mouth shut in the press so didn't fit the bill!

We need an experienced strong manager, who trusts and is 100% happy with his back room team.

Out of interest would Arry of done the business for us??

Yeah, that's reasonable but if he has been told, you will be working with x, y and z, how can the trust be there? This is a large part of what went wrong for Berg I think. Not having his own people, and those he did get were from the Kean regime.

I think 'Arry would probably have done the business, yes. The standard of opposition and opposition manager would have been well within his powers. His presence would have inspired the players and brought a feelgood factor to the place. QPR are playing against a much better standard of opposition - and we do have some good players for this league.

Yeah, that's reasonable but if he has been told, you will be working with x, y and z, how can the trust be there? This is a large part of what went wrong for Berg I think. Not having his own people, and those he did get were from the Kean regime.

I think 'Arry would probably have done the business, yes. The standard of opposition and opposition manager would have been well within his powers. His presence would have inspired the players and brought a feelgood factor to the place. QPR are playing against a much better standard of opposition - and we do have some good players for this league.

Cant help feeling sorry for Berg, Stuart. He was on a hiding to nothing, the alarm bells started ringing for me when he didnt bring in any of his own team. Maybe we would have done a Forest and sacked him after 10 games even if he did OK because he was always a stop gap appointment to satisfy the fan's unrest with how long the selection process was taking? He was clearly undermined at every possible level. Maybe the players knew this and it was why they never seemed to give a to55 when he was gaffer.

The important thing is to get the right man for the job. Experience is primarily an indicator of how likely the person in question is to zucceed. If a person has generally been successful throughout his career, then the more likely they are to succeed. Conversely the less experience so.eone has the more difficult it is to predict with any certainty whether theyll be up to it. Occasionally however you may stumble across an Alex Ferguson or Howard Kendall like Aberdeen and ourselves did at various points in the past.

Peter Reid is about as experienced as they come. Anyone fancy him?

There is nothing wrong with a few contradictions, I'm sorry about my lazy spelling though. words that keep popping up again and again in the press when it come to rovers is 'rudderless ship', 'headless chicken' etc, we are now banging on about an experienced manager who will be a strong leader, BRFC is an organization, VEnkys are supposed to be at the top of that organization, one constant is their leadership has been weak and waivering, until that changes not much else will. Putting all of the stories of third party influences aside, one could say from the very beginning Venkys may have listened too much the fans, lots of people have become big Allardyce now, but two years ago that was far from the case, if it was a minority it was a very large minority who were fed up Allardyce's style, I think rather a lot less people were bothered about his sacking then as they are now. Just as far too many were too many enthusiastic about Keans appointment, looking forward to the exciting style of football, nobody wanted an experience then, it seemed more people were more concerned about having a progressive young manager, our own Owen Coyle, thats what we got. It seems Billy Mckinlay was going to be a potential rovers manager, may be he would have been a big success, but then the fans mood put an end to that move. Why are we all so sure that the new manager should be experienced now? because of the off field issues they have to tolerate? wouldn;t it be best to address off field problems so we then have a broader range of managers to choose from? possibly a lesser experienced manager who could be a greater succees? I'm sure our much respected John Williams didn;t go to the supporters to sense their mood when making important decisions. Even if Venkys have less football knowledge they aren;t going to learn more if they don;t man up and grap the club by the scruff of its neck, and even having some physical presence at Ewood.

DO YOU NOT REMEMBER MKINLAYS DISGRACEFUL BEHAVIUOR...

I have a slight concern that we won't employ experience. Shebby's interview didn't indicate much towards that.

I'm going off the top of my head here but how many experienced managers have we appointed in the last two decades? Dalglish? Hodgson? Souness? Hughes? Allardyce? Do Berg and Ince count? Is that one every four years?

Wish I only had a 'slight' concern!

Stuart, I think the likes of Phil Brown or Roy Keane would have done something by now. They are, at very least, experienced, and could have got a lot more out of this squad than Berg did.

If there's any proof I loved Berg, I had is name on the back of my shirt instead of Shearer. And I was only 11. =)

I'm not sure they would have with the same backroom team. Certainly Keane I think would have made changes straight away.

I'd imagine trust is a massive thing in football management circles.

DO YOU NOT REMEMBER MKINLAYS DISGRACEFUL BEHAVIUOR...

No. I just remember an average player, I'm sure you are right, I didn;t want mckinlay as manager, on a personal level I doubt that I would get on with him just as I doubt I would get on with most of our players, but haven't most manager's and players done something wrong at some point. I was only mentioning Mckinlay to make a point that Venkys should show more leadership skills.

Archived