BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Manager

den

in terms of what?

coming in as Coach to Hughes or as Manager???

listening to the latest podcast, Kamy was saying the new manager would be announce on the 1st of January

I don't understand why they put themselves under this public time pressure. Fine if they want to have someone in by 1st Jan, make it the aim but don't promise the fans and the media this date. Otherwise, they will end up getting the wrong person in (again) just to save face.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't understand why they put themselves under this public time pressure. Fine if they want to have someone in by 1st Jan, make it the aim but don't promise the fans and the media this date. Otherwise, they will end up getting the wrong person in (again) just to save face.

WeirdLy Jan1st is a Tuesday not a Wednesday

Shebby or Rovers havent said this btw, just what Kamy has been told by very good sources

The important thing is to get the right man for the job. Experience is primarily an indicator of how likely the person in question is to zucceed. If a person has generally been successful throughout his career, then the more likely they are to succeed. Conversely the less experience so.eone has the more difficult it is to predict with any certainty whether theyll be up to it. Occasionally however you may stumble across an Alex Ferguson or Howard Kendall like Aberdeen and ourselves did at various points in the past.

Peter Reid is about as experienced as they come. Anyone fancy him?

He is experienced, has built teams up and got them promoted, perfect, why not?

Down in London for a couple of days and interestingly enough, have heard several people link Curbishley with job.

My previous understanding was that he nearly replaced Kean at one stage and I think he met at least one of the brothers back then.

Down in London for a couple of days and interestingly enough, have heard several people link Curbishley with job.

My previous understanding was that he nearly replaced Kean at one stage and I think he met at least one of the brothers back then .

and had a change of heart!

Ha

He is experienced, has built teams up and got them promoted, perfect, why not?

Errrrr:........ Good idea! Let's get Bryan Robson in as his number 2.

it wasn't even a serious suggestion! I was trying to think of the worst possible hypothetical exampleIf anyone is suggesting him with a straight face it's time to give up and play pin the tail on the donkey.

If you've reeled me in, well done sir.

My previous understanding was that he nearly replaced Kean at one stage and I think he met at least one of the brothers back then.

My preferred choice when Berg got the gig. Curbishley may have been out of the game a wee while longer than many would hope their manager to be, but he talks sense and he knows how to teach the basics very very well. Football is made to be far more complicated than it needs to be sometimes. Curbishley would be as close to a dead cert to tighten us up at the back and play effective counter attacking tactics. We might not pass the ball to death, but we would play incisive football and now where each opposition's weaknesses are. Proper old school football which might not be popular with this modern day Barcelona fascination, but will get results.

I can't see us being lucky enough to snare Curbs, but if we did i would almost guarantee he'd be loved by the fans. As close to Hughes' style football as we'll see i would wager.

Errrrr:........ Good idea! Let's get Bryan Robson in as his number 2.

it wasn't even a serious suggestion! I was trying to think of the worst possible hypothetical exampleIf anyone is suggesting him with a straight face it's time to give up and play pin the tail on the donkey.

If you've reeled me in, well done sir.

haha, I was only joking, I knew you were. Seriously though its hard to know who is going to bring on-field success, managers don;t exactly come with hard and fast guarantees, look at Arry at QPR, all of his experience doesnt seem to be helping them at the minute, who is to say he would be a success for us, but we were all banging on about him a couple of months ago. I'm not against bringing in an experienced manager, I actually prefer it, but we should all have an open mind, and its a shame that 'experience' seems largely necessary becasue the club is a shambles, in which case it is just as important that Venkys sort that out so who ever is the manager will hopefully put the icing on the cake and get us promoted whether they be experienced or relatively new to management. The club shouldn;t be blinkered by becoming obsessed with becoming a premier league club again at all costs, they should make sure there is still a BRFC in five, ten or a 100 years, skilled motivated staff in all departments working together lead from the top by example, finacial secure, so if we are still in the championship in a few years, its just a case of trying to find the right chemistry on the field with players and manager that will get us promoted and punching with the big boys again rather than everyone worrying the club will implode and bein embarrassed by the way the club is run and the way people like Berg are treated.

I think he would be my choice too. If only becauze his real name is Llewellyn Charles Curbishley and we could stipulate in his co tract he uses that name at all times.

Seriously though I looked at his wiki page when Kean was sacked and his record astounded me. Much much better than Id imagined. He'd satisfy everyone's craving for experience and would be at the top of my shortlist this time round.

I'm not against bringing in an experienced manager, I actually prefer it, but we should all have an open mind, and its a shame that 'experience' seems largely necessary becasue the club is a shambles, in which case it is just as important that Venkys sort that out so who ever is the manager will hopefully put the icing on the cake and get us promoted whether they be experienced or relatively new to management. The club shouldn;t be blinkered by becoming obsessed with becoming a premier league club again at all costs, they should make sure there is still a BRFC in five, ten or a 100 years, skilled motivated staff in all departments working together lead from the top by example, finacial secure, so if we are still in the championship in a few years, its just a case of trying to find the right chemistry on the field with players and manager that will get us promoted and punching with the big boys again rather than everyone worrying the club will implode and bein embarrassed by the way the club is run and the way people like Berg are treated.

Disagree with a lot of this. Whenever Rovers have appointed inexperience in our recent history it has worked out badly - see Ince, Berg, Kean, Kidd and Harford...whereas whenever we have appointed experience it has usually ended up well - see Dalglish, Hughes, Souness and Allardyce. The only outlier here is Hodgson but he was still a very good manager and did well initially with us. I don't think we should open our minds to appointing an inexperienced manager again.

And we really, really do need to get promoted soon. The parachute payments are what are keeping us going and meaning we can still sustain wages a lot higher than the rest of the league. Once they dry up then we stand a much greater chance of getting relegated than we do getting promoted. Even if we had average owners we would financially struggle to compete in this division - a gate of 12,000 each paying ticket prices considerably below the average for the league would rank us near the bottom of the Championship in terms of gate receipts - and with the TV money a lot less gate receipts are a much more important source of income than in the PL. So really we do need to target getting promoted in the next couple of seasons.

Archived