BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] possible transfer targets summer 2013

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eastwood & Judge are the only players we've signed from that level, and one's just a back-up goalie. The rest have come from Championship & PL sides.

You can add Spurr, Marrow and Taylor to that list. We may have signed them from Championship clubs (in Donny's case, only just) but make no mistake, their playing level has been, and may well remain, League One.

Even Kilgallon has spent the lion's share of his career in the third tier!

Tom Cairney and Corry Evans have been our marquee signings this Summer...

You can add Spurr, Marrow and Taylor to that list. We may have signed them from Championship clubs (in Donny's case, only just) but make no mistake, their playing level has been, and may well remain, League One.

Even Kilgallon has spent the lion's share of his career in the third tier!

Tom Cairney and Corry Evans have been our marquee signings this Summer...

Just because they have played in the lower leagues doesn't mean they are rubbish. Lee Williamson came from lge 1 last season and outshone all of our midfielders.

Tommy spurr has arguably been our best player this season. He came from lge 1.

Rhodes is our best player. Signed from lge 1.

Judge was one of the best players in lge 1 last year and has looked good for us.

Cairney and Evans were part of a promoted squad last season.

Marrow. Bizarre signing.

DJ and kilgallon both have prem experience and are very good players at this level.

Taylor is better than what we already had.

For the budget he's had to play with, I think GB has done remarkably well. I admit it's short on quality in wide areas but he's working on that.

Building a good core of players on sensible contracts. Add 2 or 3 quality players, maybe in Jan or next summer when the high earners are off the books and then we might start to be genuine promotion contenders.

Mercerman if as you say mr davies willing to fund the money why did he not fund Bairds wages PLZ REPLY

Baird would be 'just another player' whilst Rhodes would be the 'key that unlocked the door'.

A huge, huge difference.

No he hasn't.

I stand corrected, Sheffield United were in the Championship while he was there.

Add him to our marquee list.

Btw, Rovers11, I've not said they are rubbish, just that their level has been league one. Our level may well be the same in the none too distant future.

Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised and they managed to gel into a team which keep us in the division. I just hope that we can afford to keep them the season after. If we combine FFP (and if my thoughts on this are proven false) together with Venkys, and chuck in the dwindling PL parachute payments, then we have an impending financial implosion in the short rather than long term.

Just because they have played in the lower leagues doesn't mean they are rubbish. Lee Williamson came from lge 1 last season and outshone all of our midfielders.

Judge was one of the best players in lge 1 last year and has looked good for us.

Marrow. Bizarre signing.

DJ and kilgallon both have prem experience and are very good players at this level.

For the budget he's had to play with, I think GB has done remarkably well. I admit it's short on quality in wide areas but he's working on that.

Building a good core of players on sensible contracts. Add 2 or 3 quality players, maybe in Jan or next summer when the high earners are off the books and then we might start to be genuine promotion contenders.

He didn't say they were rubbish, he stated which league they came from.

And he's spot on, they are or were league one players signed on the cheap. None of them are anything to get excited about, if Evans or Cairney were that good then Hull would have held on to them, although Cairney is only here on loan I suppose.

What he's really saying (I believe) is we have signed players that might keep us in this league, but they certainly won't be pushing us up out of it.

Correct - they wont pay the stupid asking price that was given when they first enquired.

Think that price will be significantly lower at this time next week. IMO, Rhodes will go for no more than we contractually got him for, if not less. I think, as I have said on numerous occasions, that Rovers are so far along 'queer street' financially that it is alarming.

Why will Bolton's owner cough-up ? He's already in for £125m and if he's convinced that Rhodes will fire them to the PL, then he will have a far better chance of getting a sizeable part of his 'investment' back sooner rather than later (or even not at all).

I think Davies sees Freedman as the real deal and Rhodes would be a calculated 'gamble' but a 'gamble' far more likely to come off than Rovers' gamble when they signed him from Hudders..

Expect Ngog to leave Bolton as a result which will part fund the deal, IMO.

Blimey Mm I think even Nixon has given up on flogging that particular dead horse hasn't he?

I'd find it more believable if you said Burnley were in for Rooney.

Correct - they wont pay the stupid asking price that was given when they first enquired.

Think that price will be significantly lower at this time next week. IMO, Rhodes will go for no more than we contractually got him for, if not less. I think, as I have said on numerous occasions, that Rovers are so far along 'queer street' financially that it is alarming.

Why will Bolton's owner cough-up ? He's already in for £125m and if he's convinced that Rhodes will fire them to the PL, then he will have a far better chance of getting a sizeable part of his 'investment' back sooner rather than later (or even not at all).

I think Davies sees Freedman as the real deal and Rhodes would be a calculated 'gamble' but a 'gamble' far more likely to come off than Rovers' gamble when they signed him from Hudders..

Expect Ngog to leave Bolton as a result which will part fund the deal, IMO.

Rovers are not going to sell him on the cheap. Don't see Bolton/Davies spending that kind of money to get him. couldn't even afford to sign Moritz before they got rid of Andrews. And now cant even sign Baird who would be good signing but cant afford him.

Bolton need a new Centre back, right back, winger and 2 strikers at least in my view. Bolton squad depth is very weak and really none existed.

Bolton are going no where soon !

Call him The Real Deal or The New Messiah if you must, but he will always be, just plain old Wee Doogie to me.

Come Christmas. Bolton fans will be pining for BFS just like many of us.

speaking to some Bolton fans today at Work have said they don't a squad to even for the playoffs challenging. They said that Bolton need at least 4 or 5 players in before the transfer closes.

Marrow. Bizarre signing.

very good post there Rovers11.

Fans wanted a the squad to be overhaul and players to leave. this have been done and still Fans moaned. Bowyer has cut the wage bill and sign players will experience at this level like alot of fans wanted.

Also Alan Nixon has said that Rovers have appointed a new chief Scout. does anybody know who it is???

Baird would be 'just another player' whilst Rhodes would be the 'key that unlocked the door'.

A huge, huge difference.

So why wouldnt we been thinkin like that about rhodes put the two team sheets together and theres no differens although we have a goalscorer who they are dreaming of buying

Fans wanted a the squad to be overhaul and players to leave. this have been done and still Fans moaned. Bowyer has cut the wage bill and sign players will experience at this level like alot of fans wanted.

Who are these fans who wanted the squad downgrading?

Whatever Rovers/Bowyer does, you will champion, chaddy, I get that. But please don't project your opinion onto other Rovers fans and create your own strawman argument to knock over.

Serious question though, and put the blue and white pom-poms down for a sec, what reasons do you have to be optimistic about our current playing squad?

Whatever Rovers/Bowyer does, you will champion, chaddy, I get that. But please don't project your opinion onto other Rovers fans and create your own strawman argument to knock over.

Serious question though, and put the blue and white pom-poms down for a sec, what reasons do you have to be optimistic about our current playing squad?

I'm not sure that it has been down graded Stu. It was rubbish to begin with. The departures of Formica and Murphy are no loss whatsoever. Yes it could be argued that some of the signings we have brought in are questionable. Marrow being the prime example. But from what ive seen of Judge he can be a decent signing. Taylor is short on quality but will be tenacious and thats not a bad thing. Other than that Kilgalon should be a steady signing and Tommy Spurr looks like a very shrewd signing.

I think that the main issue (and i know its become a popular cliche) is that the sheer number of players we have brought in need to gel. But, if you look along the spine of the side you've got Dann / Kilgallon & Hanley, Evans & Cairney and Best & Rhodes. I bet if you offered that to every other manager in the league 90% would take it. If we can get a settled regular side containing the above then i still believe we will be safely mid table. I've said from the get go this year that the big question mark is that of Bowyers management. Can he make the correct substituions at the correct times? Can he tinker his tactics to see out a match? Can he identify which matches he needs to start tight and nick a goal and which ones he is better pressing and putting the opposition under pressure? These are absolutely huge decisions to make and will shape our season. The core group of players we have are good enough for this division. I just hope that Bowyer is too. He demonstrated last season that he might have the wherewithal to cope at this level. But its not just the fans who need to believe it. If the players don't then he's in trouble. At this stage there is no suggestion he doesn't have their backing so my faith hasn't diminished yet.

Fair comments PV. But they don't make me feel any better. I too think that we should have thanked Bowyer for his sterling efforts last year and moulded him into the next Tony Parkes. Meanwhile bringing in a credible, experienced manager.

A novice manager and a bunch of prospects in our midfield, is not a great combination. We do have firepower in Best and Rhodes but we are not using them correctly. Our defence is probably our strongest position, yet we haven't kept a clean sheet in 4 games. I can't remember any in pre-season, either although that may be being unfair.

All I've ever wanted was an experienced manager, following the catastrophic sacking of Sam, and the appointment of king twonk, the dark lords have ballsed it up at every turn. GB is doing what he is told, can't be blamed, but ain't going to get us up whatever he does. The damage is already done, and the fall out will be felt for years to come. Average squad, will take time to bed, long difficult season ahead.

Downgrading? I don't agree. we have bought in Players that know the league and have experience in this league which we didn't last season when a certain former manager and global advisor was here. Players with experience are Kilgallon, Evans, Cairney, Taylor, DJ. Plus two of the best players in League 1 in Judge and Spurr.

Also the squad had too many players who were use to losing games and this needed changing big time to have a winning mentality. This was discuss on the latest podcast.

Last season we signed Murphy, Etuhu, Gomes, Rosado, Henrique who are not suited to what is required in this league! apart from Rhodes signing last summer signings were awful and Rovers wasted a lot of money there in Wages.

We ha lazy lazy players on fat contracts we mite not be a million tines better but deffo not any worse off

we had far too many players who were lazy and had a bad attitude. A lot on people on this messageboard were complaining about Players being lazy and not give 100% plus not being fit enough. this isn't the case this season

Haha deffo serious so you saying we were better off last season? Really??

No we are better off.

Also my aim for this season is mid table and with a hope for Playoffs push towards the end of the squad and Allowing Bowyer a chance to bring in few players next season with the aim of challenging for promotion.

Archived