BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

. For England there is nothing bigger than the Ashes (same for the convicts), other series don’t really mattter, and for Stokes to make that statement is both arrogant and wrong.  It’s too late now but someone should have explained to him and MCullum that they had the chance to win England cricket fans over for life this summer but as it stands they have well and truly blown it. Bazball as a project faced its biggest test this summer and has been found wanting.  It’s a failure 

31 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Stokes on the BBC saying that 'there are bigger things for us than winning the Ashes'. I can only assume that is the New Zealander in him coming out as there is nothing bigger for the England cricket team than winning the Ashes and come the first ball in Brisbane in 2025 it will be over 10 years since England last won an Ashes series,

I'm sure the planning for the Ashes in 2025 is already by plan by Key and Wright but the next series is the important one for Stokes and McCullum

31 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Is that looking awful new hotel at least going to be painted red? At the very least they could make it blend in with other awful looking hotel and the point.

Ground's like The Oval, Lords, Edgbaston have modernised but still look and feel like cricket grounds. Old Trafford when you visit feels more like a corporate hospitality venue where they also just happen to play cricket.

It is where the money for Lancashire cricket club and not in non England games I guess. 

5 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

More flexibility needs ro be built into the timing. This time of year its light from 7am - 9pm yet we can only play 11-630 ( latest 730).

There is a difference between it being light and it being light enough to play cricket. I certainly wouldn't want to be facing say Mark Wood with the red ball in hand at 20:30.

Again as an occasional cricket fan - test cricket will struggle to attract new fans if a test series, the apparent pinnacle of test series, can be decided by the weather. In no other sport would such a thrilling contest be allowed to fizzle out. This series should be 2-2 and set for the ultimate decider. Instead it fizzled out and England now playing for a draw. 

More flexibility needs ro be built into the timing. This time of year its light from 7am - 9pm yet we can only play 11-630 ( latest 730). When there was such heavy rain forecast for day 4 and 5 why are they not making them play the full 90 overs on the good days.

They are given an extra half an hour in the day to get the overs in that they can't do that is poor on their part. England's overrate yesterday given they bowled predominantly spin and knew they weren't going to get a huge amount of playing time was dreadful.

More flexibility needs ro be built into the timing. This time of year its light from 7am - 9pm yet we can only play 11-630 ( latest 730). When there was such heavy rain forecast for day 4 and 5 why are they not making them play the full 90 overs on the good days. Why are we wandering off for tea after two hours in the only weather window of the day. Why is there a pitch inspection  at 12:15 and lunch taken at 12:20.

The taking of lunch was as much for the ground staff to get everything ready as anything.

In any other sport, if an event had been rained off it would be rescheduled. In any other sport every effort would have been made to get players on the pitch but cricket seems to be male every effort to keep them off it. 

That is just part and parcel of cricket rain has saved England in the past think back to Cardiff in 2013. It saved us in Sydney from another whitewash on our last tour down under.

18 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

It’s too late now but someone should have explained to him and MCullum that they had the chance to win England cricket fans over for life this summer but as it stands they have well and truly blown it. Bazball as a project faced its biggest test this summer and has been found wanting.  It’s a failure

I think you will find that alot of England fans have enjoyed how England have played this summer in positive and entertaining manner. 

You still don't understand what Bazball is cos it should really be Stokesball since he is the one who gives the players his clarity that they can play how they want to and he or Baz WON'T criticise them for bad shot or how they score their runs. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

There is a difference between it being light and it being light enough to play cricket. I certainly wouldn't want to be facing say Mark Wood with the red ball in hand at 20:30.

I get that as light is going down but the sun ain't going down at 630 at this time of year. 

One thing I don't get though is that it's claimed to be too dangerous for fast bowlers at a certain light yet at Lords(?) I watched as both teams chucked 85mph balls at batsmans bodies and head, why isn't that dangerous? 

38 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

They are given an extra half an hour in the day to get the overs in that they can't do that is poor on their part. England's overrate yesterday given they bowled predominantly spin and knew they weren't going to get a huge amount of playing time was dreadful

Agreed. Needed to speed up. 

38 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

That is just part and parcel of cricket rain has saved England in the past think back to Cardiff in 2013. It saved us in Sydney from another whitewash on our last tour down under.

I don't like it regardless of who it benefits. I wouldn't want to win by default. As sports fans we surely want to see a game decided in play on the pitch not by the weather forecast in the dressing room. 

Imagine the football world cup gets postponed for whatever reason and they just decide its a draw. It wouldn't happen. 

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

. For England there is nothing bigger than the Ashes (same for the convicts), other series don’t really mattter, and for Stokes to make that statement is both arrogant and wrong.  It’s too late now but someone should have explained to him and MCullum that they had the chance to win England cricket fans over for life this summer but as it stands they have well and truly blown it. Bazball as a project faced its biggest test this summer and has been found wanting.  It’s a failure 

If we’d lost 5-0, you’d have a point, but we haven’t. It’s not as deep as writing off Bazball and as other posters have opined, it yielded a lot of wins before this series.

I do agree on the comment about The Ashes being the biggest though.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

A tale of two declarations from Stokes (or rather lack of in one case). At Edgbaston he declared far too early and gave Australia the initiative in the early on in the series. Then in this test he batted on too long for Bairstow to get his hundred and allow them to justify his selection but in the end his selection has not been justified as his performance behind the stumps has had a huge bearing on this series..

This, x 1000.

Much more so than any amount of dropped catches etc. That sort of thing happens all the time in cricket.

What doesn’t happen is declaring on day 1 with less than 400 on the board with your best batter still in and with his eye in. I will never understand that reckless decision which undoubtedly cost us the first test.

Given the weather forecast we should have declared about half an hour before lunch on day 3 of this test as well. Two very poor decisions there, else we could have been sitting at 3-1 up now!

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

😂

I think you will find that alot of England fans have enjoyed how England have played this summer in positive and entertaining manner. 

You still don't understand what Bazball is cos it should really be Stokesball since he is the one who gives the players his clarity that they can play how they want to and he or Baz WON'T criticise them for bad shot or how they score their runs. 

This is such nonsense.

I think you will find that most England fans are gutted at not retaking the Ashes and couldn't care less whether they are "entertained" or not. There's nothing entertaining about losing. 

I assume you apply the same illogical rubbish to supporting Rovers

As captain and coach of this disappointing series, Stokes and McCullum carry the can and should consider their positions at the end of the summer

Edited by jim mk2

The 2005 Ashes series was probably the best ashes series in living memory, the way the game was played, respectful and aggressive and England obviously won, which helped! The entire nation stood as one during that series, the love for English cricket went viral before most people understood the context of the word.

This series, despite the result, is another watershed moment for me, the nation is once again in a cricketing frenzy and we must build on its popularity. 

Bazball is here to stay, its produced some phenomenal test cricket, that Crawley innings will live with me forever!

Onwards and most definitely upwards.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We had Ashes fever in 2005. Even people who weren’t previously interested in cricket got involved.  Interest was at an all time high in my experience. Than the powers that be sold cricket to SKY. 

2005 was the first bit of test cricket I properly watched. I remember it being the school holidays. I'd have been 13 and I think we still only had 4 channels so it was just by chance i put it on but after the first time I remember just getting up every day and going to put the cricket on. I wasn't the only one either. That was the moment to capitalise on the new found interest instead they took it off free to air TV and my interest in cricket became a passing glance at the big events.

I'd say this series has done a lot to capture people's attention again and from my point of view it has been an entertaining series even when we've lost. Its a shame that the sports approach to time and scheduling has resulted in it fizzling out. Imagine what it would have done for interest in the sport if it was 2-2 going into a decider with momentum in the favour of the under dog. Now we're playing for a draw and the Aussies retain the ashes by default. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We had Ashes fever in 2005. Even people who weren’t previously interested in cricket got involved.  Interest was at an all time high in my experience. Than the powers that be sold cricket to SKY. 

It was certainly on sky in 2005 too, but your point still stands.

You can catch up on BBC each night during this Ashes series, I also think C4 had some coverage.

"Unforgiveable errors and wrong tactics decided this series, not the Manchester rain"

Simon Wilde gets it right in The Times today 

The failures of Stokes's captaincy at Edgbaston and Lord's highlighted and McCullum's daft notion that "entertainment is more important than results" - especially in an Ashes series when to true England fans the result is everything and nothing else matters

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gav said:

It was certainly on sky in 2005 too, but your point still stands.

You can catch up on BBC each night during this Ashes series, I also think C4 had some coverage.

It was C4 in 2005 then it went exclusively to sky at some point before the next Test

13 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

This is such nonsense.

I think you will find that most England fans are gutted at not retaking the Ashes and couldn't care less whether they are "entertained" or not. There's nothing entertaining about losing. 

As captain and coach of this disappointing series, Stokes and McCullum carry the can and should consider their positions at the end of the summer

Who will be the next captain and coach then?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

"Unforgiveable errors and wrong tactics decided this series, not the Manchester rain"

Simon Wilde gets it right in The Times today 

The failures of Stokes's captaincy at Edgbaston and Lord's highlighted and McCullum's daft notion that "entertainment is more important than results" - especially in an Ashes series when to true England fans the result is everything and nothing else matters

Hopefully lessons have been leant by Stokes and M from the mistakes and losses their arrogance has caused. They cost us not the weather.

I see signs in the Leeds and OT performance that the madness has been tempered at least for a while but I suspect they will try for 3 day finishes where they can against teams we should beat however we play.

There have been big bonuses. I like how Crawley has developed for one. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RoverDom said:

It was C4 in 2005 then it went exclusively to sky at some point before the next Test

I wonder if they shared the coverage, the reason why I'm questioning it, is because I spent many hours during the rain delays, this series, watching/listening to Botham, Bumble and Willis commentating on Sky during the 2005 Ashes series.

All cricket should be free to air for me.

Edited by Gav

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Hopefully lessons have been leant by Stokes and M from the mistakes and losses their arrogance has caused. They cost us not the weather.

I see signs in the Leeds and OT performance that the madness has been tempered at least for a while but I suspect they will try for 3 day finishes where they can against teams we should beat however we play.

There have been big bonuses. I like how Crawley has developed for one. 

I don't think Stokes will have learnt much. He's the type who doesn't admit to making mistakes or won't accept criticism of suggestions that he made poor decisions. It's arrogance all right

Another thing is Old Trafford was the first draw under Stokes's captaincy and his lack of interest in draws shows again his one-eyed arrogant approach. He was happy to lost the first Test because over 5 Tests he thought we'd win.  Well he's been proved wrong - and he should say so.

Leeds was good and England got most of it right at Old Trafford but the first 2 Tests were shambolic.  The convicts didn't win them - we lost them

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

This is such nonsense.

I think you will find that people want to be entertained and I'm sorry to say this that this is the new way Test Cricket will be played, The days of 2 runs a over are done. Fans wanted to be entertained and younger fans want watch positive attacking cricket. 

Yes it is very disappointed we won't win the ashes this time but I am more than happy how we played and try to play in positive attacking manner and wins games. 

Your last comment I find totally and utter bizarre and I knew before the series started that you would come out this sort of comment. If anything Stokes and McCullum should carry in their current roles and carry on playing this positive and attacking cricket

3 hours ago, RoverDom said:

Yes C4 rights had ended and Sky had bought the rights which would be more investment in the county game. 

37 minutes ago, den said:

Give me Stokes and McCullums approach to winning tests matches any day of the week.

Some of you guys don’t remember the 5 day, 2 runs an over bore draws then?

Den, I have to say I totally and utter agree with you. The days of bore draws and 2 runs an over are over

23 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I don't think Stokes will have learnt much. He's the type who doesn't admit to making mistakes or won't accept criticism of suggestions that he made poor decisions. It's arrogance all right

Another thing is Old Trafford was the first draw under Stokes's captaincy and his lack of interest in draws shows again his one-eyed arrogant approach. He was happy to lost the first Test because over 5 Tests he thought we'd win.  Well he's been proved wrong - and he should say so.

Leeds was good and England got most of it right at Old Trafford but the first 2 Tests were shambolic.  The convicts didn't win them - we lost them

Stokes isn't arrogance but he lives or die by his decisions and doesn't use hindsight either. He wants to play positive cricket and win games and he is more than willing to risk defeat in order to win games. What a nice approach to playing cricket instead of these boring bore draws we seen on flat slow low wickets in years gone by. 

2 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Who will be the next captain and coach then?

@jim mk2 You've been asked a question, in response to you claiming Stoke and McCullum should be considering their positions.

Just in case you've missed it. 

• Like 1