BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

17 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I think we all recognise that times have changed Asia, the days of Boycott blocking up one end for 3 days are long gone thankfully, replaced with Crawley hitting 187 runs in 182 balls I think it was, in 1 day! 

This England cricket team plays to its strengths, look at the record since Stokes became captain, compared to the capitulation we suffered in West indies trying to play traditional cricket under Root and the old guard.

I know which one I prefer.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RoverDom said:

At Lords we were aiming pelters at the head of a one legged tailender. Why is it all of a sudden dangerous to play in, for example, light rain to top order batsmen?

It is the condition the cork ball gets in. The leather saturates and then the ball is just unplayable for the bowler

In reality we need to be able to prepare the pitches quicker. The only way that will happen is either a major breakthrough in irrigation / drainage technology or all test approved cricket grounds installing roller roofs

Although I do think the time taken to prepare the pitch is a joke. I wonder if it was always like that? Surely in the days of the 60s - 80s it still didn't take them 1+hrs to prepare the pitch after a bit of rain

I think a 6th reserve day - which they have in the world test final - is the best route personally. Say you miss 70+ overs then it rolls in to the 6th day. £10 on for the fans if you attended Day 1 - 5 and then £30 thereafter or something.

• Like 3

Boycott talks so much sense in that Torygraph piece

"It’s called hubris. I looked it up in the Oxford English Dictionary and it says: arrogance, conceit, superiority, and big headedness. Well, they did entertain at Edgbaston but reckless batting cost them the match. So England mauled Australia but lost. How galling is that?”

"In the first innings as Lord’s they lost sight of the object, which was to win the Ashes. Winning is paramount. Ask the England supporters whether they prefer us to win the Ashes or play well and lose."

To judge from some so-called England "supporters" on this site, they prefer losing

• Like 2

11 wins from 13 tests before the Ashes was very enjoyable. 2-1 down in the Ashes - which would have been 2-2 apart from the weather. I’m not sure where the idea that England aren’t winning test matches under McCullam and Stokes comes from.

• Like 1

England have lost 3 out of the last 6 Tests. That's if you call the Ireland match a Test. But it's missing the point.

Ollie Robinson was quoted as saying McCullum told the England dressing room after the Edgbaston defeat: 

"We've made the game what it was. We played all the cricket. If it wasn't for us the Australians wouldn't have ever had a chance to win"

This was a game that England that should have won with better captaincy, a little more care and thought and match nous and less hubris (good word Geoff). McCullum doesn't get it: in an Ashes series you don't give them a chance to win - ever

No I don’t count a game against Ireland.

I keep saying it, barring the weather England would have been going to the oval 2-2 with a great chance of winning the ashes. Plus, on top of that having played the kind of attractive winning cricket that Boycott could only dream of. 

Why anyone would criticise the players, captain, coach or anyone else for the kind of approach and record under Stokes and McCallum totally beats me. 

I’ve been to a lot of test matches in my life. I’ve seen many of the greats. Enjoyed almost every minute of it. The cricket we’re seeing now is great to watch. Don’t take it for granted and don’t talk it down so much would be my view.

• Like 5

I'll repeat a previous post quoting Simon Wilde in The Times

The Manchester weather is not to blame for England's failure in this series

The failure is down to Stokes's poor captaincy at Edgbaston and Lord's, reckless batting at times because of Bazball ideology when prudence and caution was required, and McCullum's daft notion that "entertainment is more important than results" - especially in an Ashes series when to true England fans the result is everything and nothing else matters

• Moderation Lead
47 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I'll repeat a previous post quoting Simon Wilde in The Times

The Manchester weather is not to blame for England's failure in this series

The failure is down to Stokes's poor captaincy at Edgbaston and Lord's, reckless batting at times because of Bazball ideology when prudence and caution was required, and McCullum's daft notion that "entertainment is more important than results" - especially in an Ashes series when to true England fans the result is everything and nothing else matters

When you think everyone else is wrong, it might just be you that’s actually wrong….

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

When you think everyone else is wrong, it might just be you that’s actually wrong….

There's a few on here who know the game

Edited by jim mk2

• Moderation Lead
8 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

There's a few on here who know the game

Or, it could be that everyone else has opened their mind enough to think it might just not be as straightforward as Bazball is bad and the solution isn’t to sack the captain and coach?

• Like 3

A lot of the "greats" in any sports - team or individual - have done it through pioneering a new style

I don't really think "Bazball" is as out there as a lot are making out. It is just playing on the attack, which in cricket creates a spectacle. At Old Trafford we did not attack 24/7. There was some great cricket played, and then at times when the foot went on it stayed on

I really think the big 'mistake' was the declaration in Birmingham. Yet, had our bowlers got either Khawaja or Warner in those few overs, it may have swung entirely the other way and we'd be calling it attacking and decisive captaining

Obviously talk of sacking Stokes and McCullum is a bit over the top. We have broken record after record since they have been in charge. Think we now have the 3 fastest to 500 runs, all under Stokes' captaining

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Or, it could be that everyone else has opened their mind enough to think it might just not be as straightforward as Bazball is bad and the solution isn’t to sack the captain and coach?

Ashes series are defining moments for England cricket captains and coaches - that's how important they are

Generally, defeats in HMP have seen coaches being asked to clear their desks.. The two Fletchers, Flowers and Collingwood found that out. 

We haven't lost an Ashes series at home since 2005. Before then the likes of Denness, Botham, Gower and Gooch all lost their jobs after Ashes defeats. Root lost his job after the last series down there.

There's plenty of precedents. Stokes and McCullum should be worried

3 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Nobody wants the captain and coach sacking, it’s attention seeking nonsense that’s been given far too much attention.

English cricket is once again leading the world, by breaking down barriers and stereotypes that have existed for 100yrs and more and long may it continue!  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Gav said:

I think we all recognise that times have changed Asia, the days of Boycott blocking up one end for 3 days are long gone thankfully, replaced with Crawley hitting 187 runs in 182 balls I think it was, in 1 day! 

This England cricket team plays to its strengths, look at the record since Stokes became captain, compared to the capitulation we suffered in West indies trying to play traditional cricket under Root and the old guard.

I know which one I prefer.

exactly, Test cricket is changing for the better and the days of boring slow draws on flat boring pitches are good. 

We shouldn't be surprised that some people aren't happy about we are playing

8 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

To judge from some so-called England "supporters" on this site, they prefer losing

thing is no-one has said they prefer losing tho so this comment is unwarranted and unnecessary, but what we have actually said is we are enjoying the style of play England are playing under Stokes  

8 hours ago, den said:

11 wins from 13 tests before the Ashes was very enjoyable. 2-1 down in the Ashes - which would have been 2-2 apart from the weather. I’m not sure where the idea that England aren’t winning test matches under McCullam and Stokes comes from.

couldn't agree more with you Den

4 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Exactly 1000%

4 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Ashes series are defining moments for England cricket captains and coaches - that's how important they are

Generally, defeats in HMP have seen coaches being asked to clear their desks.. The two Fletchers, Flowers and Collingwood found that out. 

We haven't lost an Ashes series at home since 2005. Before then the likes of Denness, Botham, Gower and Gooch all lost their jobs after Ashes defeats. Root lost his job after the last series down there.

There's plenty of precedents. Stokes and McCullum should be worried

and we haven't lost this series either yet. 

Also times have moved from the Gower and Gooch era's and we are in the second season of Stokes and McCullum leadership and I would say lets them carry on for the next 4 years now and we see an England team as the best in the world playing exciting brand of attacking positive cricket. 

You were asked a simple question yesterday from Gav and another member which you refused to answer. Wonder why? 

Justin Langer pays Ben Stokes and England the ultimate compliment after dominant Ashes performance at Old Trafford | Daily Mail Online

@Ewood Acearticle below is what we were taking about yesterday on here

Stokes and McCullum want to save Test cricket but what about beyond Big Three? (msn.com)

very surprised to see that South Africa can only afford to play the bare minimum number of test matches and only 2 match test series for them 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Why are you surprised? It’s been obvious for years that the non big 3 boards are skint and as a result the franchise income of their players dwarfs what they get for playing Tests. Ergo they are playing the minimum.

For all the publicity and excitement  around BazBall and the Ashes, Test cricket is in big trouble worldwide.

Edited by Mattyblue