BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

1 hour ago, Gav said:

England flying along here, 61-0 of 11 overs!

5.30 an over!

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to the messageboard for my stupid comments and jinxing proceedings thereafter.

Its not the first time this has happened, but I can assure you all, it will be the last.

Apologies 😤

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Gav said:

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to the messageboard for my stupid comments and jinxing proceedings thereafter.

Its not the first time this has happened, but I can assure you all, it will be the last.

Apologies 😤

We've all done it mate

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Gav said:

Apologies 😤

I did the same on Tuesday at OT vs Northants. As Luke procter and Emilio gay were in I said we’ll make short work of these 2 Clowns. 200+ partnership later watching them both for most of the day. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Gav said:

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to the messageboard for my stupid comments

Par for the course and normal but accepted

The BBC's headline is just as bad: "Brooks counter-attack puts England on front foot against Australia"

More realistic would be

"Brooks leads tentative England recovery after collapse"

5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

The BBC's headline is just as bad: "Brooks counter-attack puts England on front foot against Australia"

More realistic would be

The last 100 runs have been anything but tentative. What exactly are you watching?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

More realistic would be

what game are you watching? 

England run rate is over 5 runs a over and Brook has scored 74 runs from 81 balls. Oh yeah sounds tentative recovery. 

Instead of reading the BBC headline watch the game for a better opinion 

12 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

It was always the bowlers day

Feel as though we have given some cheap wickets away. We have also gotten away with a few

Wood & Woakes are dragging us out of it again. I'd agree with you ojf, 300 runs is a good score on this wicket

Broad can be brainless at times with the bat!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

what game are you watching? 

England run rate is over 5 runs a over and Brook has scored 74 runs from 81 balls. Oh yeah sounds tentative recovery. 

Instead of reading the BBC headline watch the game for a better opinion 

We'd have to be disappointed with that total wouldn't we?

14 minutes ago, 47er said:

We'd have to be disappointed with that total wouldn't we?

Yes but that wasn’t what Jim’s point was, we were only 3 down at that juncture (which in fairness is what Chaddy’s response was to). Jim makes sometimes unnecessary negative comments about England and just ignores people’s responses when those comments are challenged. This will be a close fought contest. The convicts have certainly edged day 1 but I wouldn’t put it as any better/worse than that tbh.

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Yes but that wasn’t what Jim’s point was, we were only 3 down at that juncture (which in fairness is what Chaddy’s response was to). Jim makes sometimes unnecessary negative comments about England and just ignores people’s responses when those comments are challenged. This will be a close fought contest. The convicts have certainly edged day 1 but I wouldn’t put it as any better/worse than that tbh.

Hope you are right. Total is under par as I think the Aussies will show. In that sense it was a tentative recovery.

I know Anderson has a poor record against Australia especially in England but his performances this series are beyond poor. It would have been best for all concerned if he had like Alastair Cook a few years ago retired with grace and dignity and was given the send of at The Oval that his career deserved. He's not going to be a threat in India in the winter and next summer with what should be two routine home series we need to be looking at blooding bowlers for the next Ashes series not playing a 41-42 year old.

• Like 2

A poor showing by England today. 

It's been said before but Bairstow needs dropping, Performs when you're on top, but when the chips are down and it really matters he fails. Bairstow, Root and Stokes out for a collective 12 and 283 all out by 4.30pm on the 1st day is not Test cricket as we know and love it.

To compound England's woes, Moeen could be out of the match with a groin injury

Bazball is on trial. A series defeat is not acceptable

23 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Bazball is on trial. A series defeat is not acceptable

The problem with Bazball, and I've said it before, is that when it works out as it did today it hands the initiative to the other side in two ways.

1) we score very quickly but but taking risks means losing wickets regularly so we didn't get a big score.

2) the other side then have as much time as they could possibly wish for to make a big score for themselves taking no risks, and plenty of time to get us out a second time and bat again.

If we are losing wickets we should consolidate, not take any risks and try patiently to build a score we can defend, not be all back in the pavilion well before close of play on the first day.

Chaddy says the crowd wouldn't like this approach but surely, above all else, the crowd wants us to win?

11 minutes ago, 47er said:

The problem with Bazball, and I've said it before, is that when it works out as it did today it hands the initiative to the other side in two ways.

1) we score very quickly but but taking risks means losing wickets regularly so we didn't get a big score.

2) the other side then have as much time as they could possibly wish for to make a big score for themselves taking no risks, and plenty of time to get us out a second time and bat again.

If we are losing wickets we should consolidate, not take any risks and try patiently to build a score we can defend, not be all back in the pavilion well before close of play on the first day.

Chaddy says the crowd wouldn't like this approach but surely, above all else, the crowd wants us to win?

In other words, playing the game situation and playing proper Test cricket

You're right, the other lot will take their time, get their heads down, probably grind out 350 - 400 and build an innings lead that will effectively win the series. This isn't being "boring", or lacking in entertainment, it's a tough unsentimental approach and how this form of the game should be played.

Genuine England fans do want us to win and don't care how we achieve it - especially in an Ashes series.

• Like 1

Think I'm partially agreeing with Jim 😱😱

I enjoy the front foot approach but when you've just lost a wicket or two why not ease off for few overs and build back into it? We seem to play into the momentum that the bowlers build up when they get a wicket. 

I wouldn't enjoy the aussie approach where they had 1 run for 5 overs at one point but atleast some attemp to protect your wicket would be nice. 

It's the pass it out from the back at all costs mentality, sometimes you just need to smash it into row z

14 hours ago, 47er said:

Chaddy doesn't represent or speak for the crowd. He might believe that his constant support of the establishment is what everyone wants. It's not.

Well I speak for myself and WGAF what he thinks. I don't.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1