BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

This England side breaking record after record, it’s been another phenomenal day for this team, they’re quickly heading towards the best English test side ever.

You heard it hear first. 

• Like 3

very good day for England. We played with a tempo and intent to score quickly and get the score board moving. 

Crawley is the top top scorer in the Ashes and I wonder how many people would have said that before the series started, 

Broad has been excellent for England and he will get a great send off tomorrow and rightly said. I think Anderson might announce his retirement tomorrow. I think Broad will join the Sky Sports Cricket team and give his excellent insight into cricket from the commentary box 

• Like 2

Best Test side ever? Some way to go to even be the best of the last 15 years.

Remember the Strauss side of the late 00s/early 2010s, number 1 ranked side home and away Ashes winners.

But looking forward to see what the future brings, though it will be a lot of new players involved by the next home Ashes as the majority of this side will have long gone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

very good day for England. We played with a tempo and intent to score quickly and get the score board moving. 

Crawley is the top top scorer in the Ashes and I wonder how many people would have said that before the series started, 

Broad has been excellent for England and he will get a great send off tomorrow and rightly said. I think Anderson might announce his retirement tomorrow. I think Broad will join the Sky Sports Cricket team and give his excellent insight into cricket from the commentary box 

I would be very surprised if Jimmy announced his retirement tomorrow for many reasons. Not least because he’s said all summer he isn’t ready to retire and also he won’t want to take any spotlight away from Broady.

Whether the retirement decision is taken out of his hands is another matter entirely?!

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Legend.

And good timing to get a great send off.

I would argue he is actually more of a legend than Jimmy, despite having less career test wickets. He has won several matches single handedly over the years with some amazing spells of bowling. Until he got hit on the head his batting was half decent too.

• Like 2

I can see Jimmy doing one more year (or at least wanting to), especially with Broad gone.

India in the winter but he isn’t going to be expected to take a hatful of wickets out there or play five Tests. He’ll be looking to get through a few economical overs whilst the 2/3 spinners bowl the vast majority of the overs, and then you probably couldn’t ask for a better summer than West Indies and Sri Lanka 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I would be very surprised if Jimmy announced his retirement tomorrow for many reasons. Not least because he’s said all summer he isn’t ready to retire and also he won’t want to take any spotlight away from Broady.

I can see that point of view. We play India in January and I not sure whether he would want to bowl on those surfaces to be honest. If he is available then I would take him there and he would be our bowler to bowl 12 to 15 overs who would keep it tight and bowl wicket to wicket. The make up of the team will be interest if Stokes can't bowl cos we need 2/3 spinners and at least 3 seamers. For me is who our spinners would be and I would take Leach, Jacks and Ahmed as our 3 spinners plus Root as part time spinner

9 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Whether the retirement decision is taken out of his hands is another matter entirely?!

Can't see Key, Stokes and McCullum doing this

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Can't see Key, Stokes and McCullum doing this

I meant more that his body might make the decision for him. Test bowling is a tough old slog and there have been signs this summer that he’s becoming injury prone. As you get older it takes you longer to recover. He won’t want to get selected purely on sentiment. It must be tempting to try and get to 700 wickets though!

I can think of 6 or 7 England teams of the past 60 years better than this one - which by the way is 2-1 down, has failed to regain the Ashes and could yet lose the series. Why would anyone post nonsense like that? 

Anyway rain likely later and poor forecast tomorrow. Let’s hope this best England team of all time can do this and avoid the ignominy of a first Ashes series defeat at home in more than 20 years

2 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I meant more that his body might make the decision for him. Test bowling is a tough old slog and there have been signs this summer that he’s becoming injury prone. As you get older it takes you longer to recover. He won’t want to get selected purely on sentiment. It must be tempting to try and get to 700 wickets though!

I understand what you are saying. 

I think he will play in India and next summer then call it a day but you never know. 

9 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I can think of 6 or 7 England teams of the past 60 years better than this one - which by the way is 2-1 down, has failed to regain the Ashes and could yet lose the series. Why would anyone post nonsense like that? 

Cos not everyone agree with you and how many of those 6 or 7 England teams have won in Pakistan? This team have. 

I think Vaughan's ashes team and Strauss team was 2 that stood out for me in my life time, But I do think this England team have had some good times in this series and played the positive attacking cricket people want to see nowadays and will attract the next generation. Test Cricket is under threat from Franchise cricket and T20 cricket international. So unless Test Cricket actually does something different and play in more positive manner then the current and next generation will move away from Test Cricket 

• Like 3

Touch of class by Australia at the start of play giving a guard of honour to Broad, great scenes watching him and Anderson walking down the steps, real moments to savour. 

• Like 3

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, Gav said:

Touch of class by Australia at the start of play giving a guard of honour to Broad, great scenes watching him and Anderson walking down the steps, real moments to savour. 

Got to say Steve Smith has really grown on me this series. Liked the way he tried to retire Jimmy Anderson through that guard of honour. 😆😆

He's been the first up congratulating the England batsmen who scored big 100's.

He put his body on the line yesterday crashing into the advertising hoardings, what a competitor.

Phenomenal sportsman that I feel has matured and learnt humility with age and experience (sandpaper gate). Fair play to the guy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Anyway rain likely later and poor forecast tomorrow. Let’s hope this best England team of all time can do this and avoid the ignominy of a first Ashes series defeat at home in more than 20 years

The Strauss team is the best I’ve seen. England teams of the 80s and 90s were pretty average, despite the presence of two or three superstars. 
This lot have the potential to be great but I do wonder were the new crop of bowlers is coming from they as we do have a few who are very much the wrong side of 30, and in Jimmy’s case, 40!

20 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

England have won 5 series in Pakistan. There was cricket before 2010

L

I bet you can’t name those 5 test series wins in Pakistan against Pakistan?

36 minutes ago, matt83 said:

At what point can I start to panic that they might just chase 384

I started when the partnership passed 100 with a day and a half or more to go.

Rain is coming though.

Nice weather up in Cumbria though.

Edited by AllRoverAsia