BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ben Marshall

I think the British policy is down to GB and his coaching staff only knowing players from the lower leagues who are predominantly British and without a proper scouting network we are very limited in who we can go for. This bloke was at Crewe wasn't he?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Lazy stereotypes. Akin to the 1960s West Indians can only play with the sun on their backs and continental players don't like hard tackles.

Have you never been on youtube? Some clips would astonish you.

Winger but can play central mid too.

Like Dunn, Pedersen, Judge, Taylor, Cairney, Nunes and Kane then?

We must be trying to replace our "seven number tens" with "seven wingers who can also do a bit in midfield"

How many wingers/ wide men/ strikers do Rovers actually need .

Don't disagree, see above. Just wondered what the exact reason for your customary bout of pessimism was!

Like Dunn, Pedersen, Judge, Taylor, Cairney, Nunes and Kane then?

We must be trying to replace our "seven number tens" with "seven wingers who can also do a bit in midfield"

Don't disagree, see above. Just wondered what the exact reason for your customary bout of pessimism was!

What?

Dunn- a central mid, since when was he a winger? Might have operated there before temporarily as fill in, but is clearly a CM/AM.

Pedersen- leaving. And crap.

Cairney- see Dunn.

Nunes- is just a winger.

Kane- is a frickin full back!! Who at a stretch can play the wing, since when was he a centre mid?

Any deviations from what I've said have only been temp fill in spots. So what you're actually left with from your list is Judge and Taylor. And I've heard Judge is an attacking mid primarily. Nunes can be added to your wingers though. So we've Judge, Taylor, Nunes and now Marshall. And it would seem the plan is to not play Nunes, and to play Judge in the hole whilst Rochina is out, perhaps displacing Dunn.

You'd have made a better point if you'd talked about King and Olsson who are actually wingers ;-) But neither are great shakes,

Oh, and all this talk of British players is I think a little misleading. Bowyer seems to be going primarily for players experienced in English football (the Championship when he can). I don't think it's about the damned ethnicity of a player, just their familiarity with the game here. The Championship and leagues below are heavy with British players.

If you mean a prancing showpony who flatters to deceive and most of the time is as much use as a chocolate fireguard, I would hope Marshall is much better than that.

He means arguably the most important player in our formation. The guy who doesn't let Rhodes become isolated, and the one who doesn't let Lowe, Marrow, Williamson, Cairney, Evans, whoever else drop deep.

Regardless of whether you think Rochina is effective or not, a player of his ilk is needed due to the formation we are trying to play.

A lot of Rochina detractors are also Pedersen fans who love to point out his stats when defending him. Well Rochina provides goals, assists as well as chances.

He means arguably the most important player in our formation. The guy who doesn't let Rhodes become isolated, and the one who doesn't let Lowe, Marrow, Williamson, Cairney, Evans, whoever else drop deep.

Regardless of whether you think Rochina is effective or not, a player of his ilk is needed due to the formation we are trying to play.

A lot of Rochina detractors are also Pedersen fans who love to point out his stats when defending him. Well Rochina provides goals, assists as well as chances.

The rumour is that Rochina is only here till january so dont get too hung up on him.

I agree that Marshall is very good signing. He needs a manager to use his talent and skills.

We do have a very talented young team now.

all signings apart from Songo'o. 11 out of the 12 signings are British.

I think Bowyer wants a squad with mostly British background. I also think this is the right way to build a squad for the championship that is very demanded league

Steady on! Way too optimistic here.

A very good signing - no. Potentially a very shrewd signing. He has loads of potential and talent, and could do very well for us. But a very good signing?!? Hardly, he's not been doing brilliantly for Leicester and Pearson is a good manager, so it's not like he's been missing a good manager to develop him. Think that's a bit insulting to Pearson and over-egging Bowyer's ability.

Don't get me wrong it's not a bad signing, indeed it could be a very clever one. But to say it's a great signing is OTT in my book.

As for a good young team. A decent young team. A good young team would be players who walk into most championship teams. Am not sure many of our players would do that. Sure we have a few but not loads. Added to which I'm not convinced we've gelled as a team (admittedly still needs time) or have a style or system as yet. The idea of a good young team again is wildly optimistic.

Again, not saying we're bad - but we're not the amazing team you seem to make out.

• Backroom

The rumour is that Rochina is only here till january so dont get too hung up on him.

The argument being that Marshall will be 'in the Rochina mold', ie: potential replacement. Tbh, I'd put Judge in that category too (although more likely replacing Dunn).

Has Marshall got any speed at all, does anybody know ?

Read a fair bit about him, but nothing about his pace or lack of.

From what I gather he's a playmaker, not an out and out winger and i don't think he's game is based on pace.

The thought of:

Rhodes

King/Marshall Rochina Judge

Cairney Williamson/Evans

That will be competitive in this league.

Archived